Just Started Watching Macross 7 With the GF

lebhead

i just convinced my girlfriend to watch the first episode of Macross 7 with me tonight. some of you may remember that about a year ago i was able to convince her to watch the AnimEigo Macross DVD set with me, and she actually really got into it. keep in mind that before that she thought that my toys were a waste of money, my RT/Macross DVDs were a waste of money, and that just the idea of me watching RT/Macross made her sick. of course, she still thinks my toys are a waste of money, but now she can name which pilot flew which valk. :D

anyway, to get back on track, after about a year's break i was able to get her to watch the first ep of 7. now, we all know that there are 2 types of Macross 7 viewers - those that love it and those that hate it. very few fall in between. i think she'll love it, but then again it may be a matter of whether she can stand those first 15 episodes or so before the story finally starts taking off. she did recognize Max ("he's a captain now??") and sort of smiled when the bridge bunnies and Exedol compared Basara to Minmay.

here's to hoping! i'll try to keep anybody who's interested updated with my progress.

sorry if i wasted anybody's time with this post. it's late, and i just thought i'd share. :p

You lucky, lucky man. :) Macross is hard to get significant others into, let alone Macross 7, what with all it's insanity and boring episodes. Don't get me wrong though, I'm not bashing M7 or anything, just saying that some of it was really pretty corny.

Promise to report your progress as news comes, okay? :ph34r:

LOL. I got my wife hooked on SDF Macross TV but havent had the chance to get her to watch Macross 7 yet. She didnt really like Macross Plus. It was "too creepy" for her lol. She has watched the first 2 episodes of Zero and she seems to like that as well. :lol:

I have tried over and over to get my fiancee to watch anime... she thinks it's all so childish and purile... even the "mature" anime. I agree with her on a lot of levels as most anime is a far cry from compitent storytelling.

On the Macross 7 note I remember my fiancee watching me yell at the tv and constantly say things like "make it stop!" and "oh come on!" while watching it. She then asked me "why are you watching this trash if you hate it so much?"

I was left with only one answer: "because I'm trying not to hate it."

Ha! Small world. It's funny you mention this, Dru, because I'm currently in the same situation with my girlfriend.

About a year ago, I attempted to ward off her constant barrage of "why are you so obsessed with a cartoon?" comments by daring her to sit down with me for a viewing of DYRL (I figured there was no way she'd sit through a 36 episode series, so I had to go with the more condensed version). Sure, I had to explain a ton of things to her (as I quickly learned DYRL can be quite confusing to someone with no prior knowledge of Macross), and she wasn't keen on all the violence and mecha action, but something really bizarre came out of that night--she liked it... no, she REALLY liked it. Suddenly I found myself making her Minmay CDs and occasionally hearing her hum "Ai Oboete Imasu Ka" and "Watashi no kare wa Pairotto." :blink::lol:

Soon after that, I explained to her that there was much more to Macross than the movie...and even hinted that the original series is more satisfying and fleshed out. I also mentioned that the series better conveys the love triangle aspect, as she was really upset when, in the movie, Hikaru chose Misa...and "left poor Minmay heart broken." I've never seen someone react that way before...but then again, most people who I've shown DYRL to have already seen SDF Macross or at least Robotech. Eventually, she caved and I initiated a weekly viewing of the Animeigo discs. Some weekends it would be one episode, others four or five (once she really got hooked), but ultimately she loved it. She still holds an irrational grudge against Hikaru, though. :rolleyes:

Since then, I've shown her Flashback 2012 (which she borrowed from me indefinitely), Macross Zero (she really likes it so far), Macross Plus (she kept falling asleep, though she did appreciate the animation... I think it may be too "male" for her.. heh), and the 20th anniversary disc. I was hesitant to show her any M7 at first after she came over my apartment one night and started mocking Basara's singing in the episode I had on (granted, this was before she even saw DYRL).

Not too long ago, I tried to make M7 more appealing to her by having her watch Fleet of the Strongest Women first, only because it has a lot of connections to the original series (a lot of Max/Milia screen time). She seemed to enjoy that episode and didn't protest when I put on episode one. She had mixed feelings about it... though she liked Mylene and Gubaba, there wasn't much push to see any more episodes. She seems to really dislike Basara...even more than Hikaru.

Eh, we'll see how this goes, though she recently threw me for a loop by expressing interest in my Genesis Climber Mospeada set. We're on disc 2 of that one so far, and she hasn't shown any inclination to go back to our M7 viewing. Eh, I figure eventually she'll cave in and listen to Basara's song... I'll just tell her there's more Gubaba to be had. :p

I think my girlfriend's pretty much 'take it or leave it' with Macross. She likes it, but she's not huge on it. Just got through the tv series and the movie with her and a bunch of friends. Most of them are the same way on the franchise. My girlfriend did admit she liked the movie more than the series.

Strangely enough, she's one of the few people I know who absolutely adores Legend of the Galactic Heroes as much as I do...

On the Macross 7 note I remember my fiancee watching me yell at the tv and constantly say things like "make it stop!" and "oh come on!" while watching it. She then asked me "why are you watching this trash if you hate it so much?"

I was left with only one answer: "because I'm trying not to hate it."

Sounds familar. lol my wife (who likes some anime, nothing Macross though) was saying the same things. Also she called Basara a fruit, among other things....

My answer was the same as yours btw lol

My GF borrowed Escaflowne from me, and I 'accidentally' slipped Macross Plus in it. Turned out that she likes Mac+ and got hooked with voices :D

I'll try inviting her when I'll re-watch the whole macross-7 series, any idea which episodes I should start since the first few episodes are quite 'boring' :lol:

My GF borrowed Escaflowne from me, and I 'accidentally' slipped Macross Plus in it. Turned out that she likes Mac+ and got hooked with voices :D

I'll try inviting her when I'll re-watch the whole macross-7 series, any idea which episodes I should start since the first few episodes are quite 'boring' :lol:

Start with DYRL, then ease into the first episode of 7.

OK, leb, let's review: aka PAY ATTENTION!!!

If you continue to show her that junk, you will either:

1) Run her off by showing her you're even weirder than you have earlier proved, or

2) You run the risk of getting a rabid Fire Bomber fan. In your own house. In your own FRICK'N HOUSE for crying out loud! :huh:

Do you really want to chance either possibility? :blink:

Wow. My girlfriend set up her computer so that it plays the opening theme to the original tv series whenever I appear on AIM.

I'm not certain what to think of that.

The whole song!?

Wow. My girlfriend set up her computer so that it plays the opening theme to the original tv series whenever I appear on AIM.

I'm not certain what to think of that.

The whole song!?

wouldnt surprise me at all....

About a year ago I got my GF to watch Macross TV series. Now she liked anime before this, but something so old (she's not old school like me) is hard for her to watch. Despite this, she loved the TV Series, I showed her DYRL, Flashback 2012, Macross Plus OVAs, and Macross Zero ep1. She really liked the original stuff and Plus. She's also looking forward to more Zero. I guess she actually liked Plus enough too that she wants to buy the OVAs. Now I got to show her the Plus Movie. I personally couldn't sit through much of M7 so I won't be showing her that.

Randy aka Powered Convoy

About a year ago I got my GF to watch Macross TV series. Now she liked anime before this, but something so old (she's not old school like me) is hard for her to watch. Despite this, she loved the TV Series, I showed her DYRL, Flashback 2012, Macross Plus OVAs, and Macross Zero ep1. She really liked the original stuff and Plus. She's also looking forward to more Zero. I guess she actually liked Plus enough too that she wants to buy the OVAs. Now I got to show her the Plus Movie. I personally couldn't sit through much of M7 so I won't be showing her that.

Randy aka Powered Convoy

Heh. Just wait until you see her flying Yamatos around the room making 'swoosh' noises. Then it's time to break out the ring. :D

Hah, I'm STILL having a similar deal as you guys, only it's with my folks. For years since I've watched anime, dad is always coming in at points when the characters are thinking and he just goes "See, they talk and yet their mouths don't move!" ".....Baka..." "Wha did you say?" "Baka..." "0_o.....what does that mean?" "Baka is b4k4 dad"

Anyways, 2 years ago, when 8th MS Team was airing on Cartoon Network, he HAD to sit down and watch it cause he was too uuuuuhhhh incompasitated to do anything else (yep....he's a real roy fokker hint hint) and he watched an episode with me. The first thing he pointed out, "Hey, those bad guys are wearing German World War two uniforms!" I just kind of looked at him going "Yep, they're kind of like the future version of Natzi's dad. They believe in dictatorship over everything, conquering the globe and space, and creating the new superior race called "Newtypes", but yeah, they do look like Germans." "0_o, well yeah, but uh.....why are they using giant robots to fight instead of guns and stuff?" "......uh.....I....don't.....know...."

0_o He still watches a bit of anime with me now and than, but that's about it....he still doesn't like it, but he can tolerate some as long as it's fast paced or reminds him of World War II which he adores in it's history...

AS FOR GIRLFRIENDS!!!!....I had one who downloaded DYRL and loved it to death, and was gonna start watching Zero but we broke up cause of differences......

LOL!

My wife watched the 1 fansub Episode of Macross 7 I downloaded.........

She said "WTF! Does that guy ever stop singing? This is not my cup of tea." She then asked me to put in something else. I put in of Ghost In the Shell Stand Alone Complex. She liked that!

She thought Macross was okay, Macross 2 wierd and Macross Plus decent. The fire bomber bombed with her and with me.............

Anyone who can't handle Fire Bomber has personal issues they must work out themselves. Your discomfort/dislikes reflect an inner closedness. All you need to do is simply ask yourself why you believe it's more acceptable to shoot people than to sing to them.

or in short....

BOMBA!!!

Keith had this to say about Robocop:

Anyone who can't handle Fire Bomber has personal issues they must work out themselves. Your discomfort/dislikes reflect an inner closedness. All you need to do is simply ask yourself why you believe it's more acceptable to shoot people than to sing to them.

or in short....

BOMBA!!!

I completely agree.