Stupid fartin Yamato

nugundamII

In case y'all were wondering:

Cost of cheapest BMW: 30,000 USD

Average Yamato Valkyrie: 150 USD

Therefore, you would need to forfeit 200 Yammies for the cheapest beamer! Give or take a few units depending on the exact distribution of your collection amongst the really pricy like the YF-21 or your run of the mill VF-1. I'm sure some people could have bought a BMW by now....

Edited by Ghost Train

You can say alot about Yamato but saying that they don't care about Macross is just plain wrong. Yamato makes one of the best looking VF toys out there and they care a hell of a lot more about Macross then Bandai does.

Yes they are not masters of QC (Though i have never had a single problem what so ever with any of mine) but they are improving and the YF-21 atleast mine is completely rock solid stable and i have never heard anyone had any problems with that in the past, though i can understand that you don't want a $200 toy to fall apart.

Never had any problems with Bandai toys either for that matter....transformers on the other hand have been hit and miss for me including an MP Megatron that was broken right out of the box. Now that's $200 out of the window.

As for the fastpacks, they are a little tricky to put on but i found them to be alot easier to put on then the armored pack for the DX VF-25 for example.

Sounds like this is part user-error rather then completely a fault on the toy side.

If a shoulder explodes then thats another story....

Edited by thankheaven

Let's all take a ride in the way back machine...

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?...82&hl=yf-19

Ok

Just got my 1/48 YF-19 from HK (Anniversary Edition). So here I think it should not have any problems since this is technically the second run of this toy? I thought I got smart and became Patient! fart ...think Again.

Here is the picture of the front canopy and nose cone which shows a large gap and often will sag in time and having the whole nose cone hang much like the Koeing Monster. THIS IS BULLSHIT. For something that retails very high should not have problems like this. Bandai doesn't have these problems. Neither does Taktomy. With Taktomy's MP line, pretty much their toys are solid. Seriously, and they want to expand and compete with other lines ie REVOLTECH and whatnot. I don't think so.

Also, I wonder what G mans connection is to this company. Talks so highly about them but there work either continues along the same bad quality control pace or its gotten worse. Does he really pass along all this bad publicity to them? Hey Graham ask them if they want my resume!!!! I promise nothing will leave their Chinese factory unless everything is 110% condition and if that means that they don't sell anything oh well you shouldn't be in business if you cannot make a good product. I am sure companies would not last long if this practice of poor QC were applied to some of our societies more needed products ie cars, medicine etc

I was so looking forward to the YF-21 but now....even after waiting for the second release any hope that this company can learn from its mistakes is dashed. I wont make this MISTAKE again with my money!

I can't believe he threw it against the wall. Now that is just dumb. Getting angry at something enough to throw it at the wall? I hope his significant other never pisses him off.

Edit - So far, this thread is f*ing hilarious! Thanks for the good humor all.

Edited by JCSaves

I can't believe he threw it against the wall. Now that is just dumb. Getting angry at something enough to throw it at the wall? I hope his significant other never pisses him off.

Agreed.......he needs to get laid. Little tooo much frustration there..... ^_^

glad I can be of service. I guess when Josh was reviewing his 1/100 vf-25 and throwing f-bombs everywhere and tossing the toy around is excusable but when I do it im crazy.

For some of the supportive comments thanks others can KMA

For those who are too dumb to understand sarcastic comments I will spell it out for you . IM NOT SERIOUS ABOUT GETTING A BMW it was a reference to how much i have spent on Yamato valks

When I woke up this morning and saw it on the floor and I picked it up and inspected the damage more closely I realized that it was fairly intact some crazy glue and it will be fine. Am I going to sell it to you hell no not after those crappy pious comments. Instead its going to my 3 year for her to throw against the wall a few more times. :p

I looked at my VF-0 guess what I have never played with the thing EVER transformed it to Battroid and left it in the case ... to my surprise hair line stress mark on the left shoulder.

But as I am preparing to Ebay this stuff or hold on to it until i finish my webpage I have decided tol hold onto the yamato Destroids classic valks with Diecast and the VF-11B which is a marvel I will admit. The heat shield is fiddly but it has not broken after several times of changing it from mode to mode.

Dont misunderstand me When yamato makes something good I will support them by buying their product. Reviews Reviews Reviews will be my tool to decide especially Josh's reviews and Wizards as well

One final note. What costs in the US 150 ends up being 200 plus here. The only place I can buy these things are through here, ebay or this local asian hobby store. IE the local store here charges 355 CDN for the DX 1/60 VF-25 S armored so you can understand my frustration.

glad I can be of service. I guess when Josh was reviewing his 1/100 vf-25 and throwing f-bombs everywhere and tossing the toy around is excusable but when I do it im crazy.

One final note. What costs in the US 150 ends up being 200 plus here. The only place I can buy these things are through here, ebay or this local asian hobby store. IE the local store here charges 355 CDN for the DX 1/60 VF-25 S armored so you can understand my frustration.

If I had known about the Josh review I would have probably said the same of him.

That does totally blow that you local store charges ridiculous prices. But feel good that you can actually go in somewhere and purchase one. A lot of us do not even have that opportunity. And that makes us very sad.

I recently tossed my version 1 YF-21 in the garbage. It had been sitting on my shelf for a few years now, and I went to pick it up to dust it and around it. Well, long story short the damn thing pretty much just fell apart on me. The plastic joints for the arms gave out, the connection between the die-cast legs and the plastic body split apart, and the clips for the wings and tail fins had developed stress marks from doing nothing but sitting on a shelf for 5 years.

So yeah, I chucked it in the garbage, no way to save it, not with that much plastic degradation. I still miss it, was my only YF-21 toy. I might pick up a revoltech YF-21 / YF-19 combo

Good thing I sold my YF-19 (ver1.5) a good while back, no idea how that toy is holding up.

I recently tossed my version 1 YF-21 in the garbage. It had been sitting on my shelf for a few years now, and I went to pick it up to dust it and around it. Well, long story short the damn thing pretty much just fell apart on me. The plastic joints for the arms gave out, the connection between the die-cast legs and the plastic body split apart, and the clips for the wings and tail fins had developed stress marks from doing nothing but sitting on a shelf for 5 years.

So yeah, I chucked it in the garbage, no way to save it, not with that much plastic degradation. I still miss it, was my only YF-21 toy. I might pick up a revoltech YF-21 / YF-19 combo

Good thing I sold my YF-19 (ver1.5) a good while back, no idea how that toy is holding up.

WOW

i need to look at mine.

Let's all take a ride in the way back machine...

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?...82&hl=yf-19

... Lol

You know I would have probably told him it was a common defect in the YF-19s, and suggest him to resell it to me at cheaper price. :D Would that make me a jerk or would I just be adopting an innocent toy into a better household?

cry us an ocean, your comparing a YF-21 to a fricken truck bot? to be honest i was waiting for a post like this from you. :lol:

p.s. trannies and gundams suck.

Ok, I was with you til you had to badmouth Gundams. We all know who'd win in a fight...besides, if it wasn't for MSG your precious Macross wouldn't exist. Transformers, eh, I'm indifferent. They have some cool designs, but that's all I can say.

NugundamII,

I'm not siding one way or the other. Sure Yamato is expensive, and QC is lacking (and unfortunately seems worse as they go on). You have to realize that Yamato doesn't have the resources or mass-production capabilities that Hasbro/Takaratomy or Bandai have. So you need to be a little forgiving on that front. The reason the price is so high is because of the importing fees, the fact that Yamato probably doesn't get as good a deal on raw materials because they don't make as much product. Not to mention that their design staff, which is excellent. So you have to pay them as much as the other companies pay theirs, and your smaller. On the flipside, there really is no excuse for the failures although they do offer fixes. A toy that expensive and elaborate should come worry free. Sure the 1/48's and VF-1 ver. 1's are awesome, but keep in mind those were a while in the making, and as different versions came out Yamato had a chance to correct these. If you have problems with Yamato, here's a thought: Be patient. That's what I do. I wait on average 6 months after a product comes out before I buy it. I read the reviews, note the problems, and if they do have some QC issues, I wait for a later version / reissue. So far, I've only been really burnt on the VF-0S, VF-1S 1/60 v2, VF-1S Roy (crooked Skulls) and YF-19 ( minor problem but annoying). But those were all because I didn't wait and bought them right away. After the 1/60 v2 I said never again, now I wait.

NugundamII,

I feel for you. When a $200 toy breaks due to faulty QC, material, or engineering, you can't help but get pissed. That said, perhaps it would've been better if you had sought some advice here at MW before getting Yamato-rage and flinging the toy towards the wall? A good number of folks here seem to have experience in making fixes on toys (particularly on Yamato Valks) ^_^ .

... Lol

You know I would have probably told him it was a common defect in the YF-19s, and suggest him to resell it to me at cheaper price. :D Would that make me a jerk or would I just be adopting an innocent toy into a better household?

That would be a jerk of a better household adopting an innocent toy. :lol:

i dunno, guys.

iirc, nugundam's been badmouthing Yamato since whenever, so this latest rant of his is yet-another bloggy meh.

tragic as it may seems, but the comic irony here is that he's the one who messed up his own yammie. :wacko:

not trying to defend yamato at all since i have my own share of disappointments with them, but we really gotta call a spade a spade, no? B))

my YF-21 legs are horribly loose after several transformation

I would have love to see the YF-21 thrown into the wall and break into a million pieces... :lol:

DON'T BUY A BMW, they are great cars, but they're reliability is terrible, I've own two of them, a 2001 323i and a 2002 525i, and they've both given me a shitload of problem, mostly bad electronics, they keep breaking down and you have to spend a small fortune on getting it fixed at the stealership, plus from what I've gathered all BMW dealership are run by a55wholes!! last time I went there to get something fixed, while I waited, 2 owners of brand new cars arrived, one of a new M3 arrived with an overheated engine, and another one of a 5 series, was a businessman with a few clients and his brand new 5 series (didn't even had the license plates), air conditioning broke and he looked like he just came out of a marathon, needless to say, the yelling and anger was amusing, the worst thing of all was that the person that received them asked them if they had an appointment......... wow

My Yamato VF-1 1/60's and 1/48 are holding up just fine, of course they are not nearly as old as "ye olde 1/72 YF-21 / YF19", but none the less, they are pretty sturdy. Same with the VF-0, besides the loose shoulder that came out of the box, its as good as new.

*edit* is it fair for me to mention the 1/72 VF-11b? That poor beast had to be put down some ages ago because of hip problems. It was the only humane thing to do.

Edited by one_klump

Yamato makes line-art accurate perfect transformation figures in a large scale for a niche market, and they are a niche company. Their products have had qc issues in the past and continue to do so. There have also been vast improvements in qc as well as in design and execution of the products.

Takara makes inaccurate representations of Transformers (even the Masterpiece are not line art accurate since the line art is so self-contradictory that there might as well not be any often). They are one of the biggest companies in Japan.

Comparing the two is kind of pointless.

The YF-21 belly can and does close. There is nothing wrong with it. It is highly unlikely that you had a faulty or defective model.

More than anything, what makes Yamato products complicated is that it is extremely difficult to memorize every single move and shove and push and pull and bend and twist you need to do or make to transform the figure.

Transformers are made to be put back together if you pop something off. True. They sacrifice accuracey and aesthetics to child safety and durability.

Transformers are for children - or at least they are made with a view to children. Macross is made for adult collectors who are also often times modelers and big time pimps who understand how to handle a woman or an airplane very delicately so as to get maximum joy from her without breaking her.

Pete

my YF-21 legs are horribly loose after several transformation

I would have love to see the YF-21 thrown into the wall and break into a million pieces... :lol:

DON'T BUY A BMW, they are great cars, but they're reliability is terrible, I've own two of them, a 2001 323i and a 2002 525i, and they've both given me a shitload of problem, mostly bad electronics, they keep breaking down and you have to spend a small fortune on getting it fixed at the stealership, plus from what I've gathered all BMW dealership are run by a55wholes!! last time I went there to get something fixed, while I waited, 2 owners of brand new cars arrived, one of a new M3 arrived with an overheated engine, and another one of a 5 series, was a businessman with a few clients and his brand new 5 series (didn't even had the license plates), air conditioning broke and he looked like he just came out of a marathon, needless to say, the yelling and anger was amusing, the worst thing of all was that the person that received them asked them if they had an appointment......... wow

VA-I am very careful with my toys and when I transform them. I take my time and usually don't need to refer to instructions when I run into issues I do consult the instructions. This problem was there before and as I have said before I knew about making the legs flush by referring to the threads here and the instruction set. I have tried and it didn't work. I ended up putting it on the stand with scotch tape across the belly plates knowing full well that the tabs on the belly plates are very weak. I even added CG for added measure. But when I wanted to move the plane to another location I decided to give some attention to getting it done properly. First off everything was FLUSH. Then the belly plate tabs break off.

Then while trying to slide in the tab for the armor plates near the nacelle and click in the rear tab would not stay on the belly plate it just pops off. I was very careful in the amount of force used knowing that Yamato uses inferior injection molding materials. Well then the tabs break off at the front nacelle of the armor plate that just was the last straw. Out of frustration I threw the dam thing at the wall. Was it the wisest thing no, but at the time it felt good. I read so many comments of so many people complaining about their Yamato valks that im surprised everyone jumps on me ! Some fandom!

(Fan; To excite or stir up to activity, as a fan axcites a flame; to stimulate; as, this conduct fanned the excitement of the populace.)

Im glad to see such a loyal following off an inferior product. I recently purchased VF-1SS Version 2 from a Board member here, Great Guy and cheers!, and it included the spare arm& shoulder parts because it cracked HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA go ahead and defend that! A version 2 has the same problem as Version 1. Go figure!

So Anyhoo. Im not a novice to these things. I bet I was the first one that owned the original Diecast Yammies. But the number of transformers and SOCs I have that actually have defects are very minimal to the number of Valks I have that have issues. Im not bashing Yamato, that would be contradictory as I have purchased their products but for 75% of my purchases to have faulty materials and defects is inexcussable. I bring the VOTOMS to your attention. I have both the takara and Yamato and they cant even get that right. The takara versions are very well done and although im pleased with the Yamato versions in size they do still fall apart easily compared to the Takara issues. Are their valks better in matching the anime look than Bandais YES they are but I doubt they have the hardiness of a bandai valk.

Will I buy another Yamato Valk. YES! After I read that they are flaweless. I will count on Wizards reviews as well as Josh's and you too. No more putting blind faith into a company that has disappointed me too many times. Of Some interested I got my VF-25G 1/100 and I like why. Cause at least you know the pieces come off and can be put on again. I was not frustrated by the number of add on pieces. It would have been nice to have PT but I am actually very tolerant.

As for the BMW. Again this was hyperbolization of my spending a lot of money on the valks enough to get a BMW. As I have mentioned I am pretty tolerant.

I drive a 2004 Hyundai Elantra GT. The only thing I had to change were the rear rotors and the rest were add on performance parts. I recently added a Performance clutch which went on me cause it ended being a piece of Sh it but that was my fault for buying something on ebay.

anyway thats it

well, I can assure you, I will not buy a BMW again, well...maybe an M3 in the future :D

I also have a 01 honda civic, my daily driver, still have it, 8 years, nearly 170,000 miles on it and still running strong, only problem it had was that the transmission broke after I took it for service, I requested them to check my transmission cause the gears were slipping (automatic), of course they didn't, when I took the car off the dealership the transmission broke and had to coast on 1st gear to a parking lot on a busy street and get towed back, and they wanted me to pay for a new transmission, almost 2000 bucks, boy did they get a piece of my mind, after all the yelling the dealership agreed to cover the transmission and I only had to pay for the labor, after that I heard a bunch of people got fired... ehhehe

the 1/48 are probably the best thing Yamato ever produced, I only have a stealth 1J and it's still as tight and firm as it came out of the box, my YF-21 is already floppy and my 1/60 v2 is on it's way to floppiness too

we can't compare cars to toys

EDIT:

ummm...nugundamII, I didn't jump on you, I was just commenting on how pleasurable it would be/look to see the YF-21 that gave you so much troubles in a million pieces, I'm also getting known hear as a Yamato hater lately, I used to love the things, now I don't and I will not buy another one, hahaha

Edited by Valkyrie addict

So yeah, I chucked it in the garbage, no way to save it, not with that much plastic degradation.

I'm just amazed that some of you folks have so much money and so little regard for things that you can just "throw away" an expensive, complex toy. Like it never even occurs to you to offer it to someone for kitbashing for the cost of postage. Or you even lack the imagination to mod it into a 'wrecked' Valk for your display.

Regardless of some persons' disappointment or frustrations at the quality - or lack thereof - of the product, it strikes me that one would simply be an incredibly spoiled-rotten, irresponsible and thoughtless person to simply destroy it or throw it away, especially when you're a member of a community in which many of your peers could make far better use of the item than sending it to your local landfill for a couple million years.

In a hobby that is perhaps essentially childish, some displays of childishness are simply irredeemably negative.

Edited by AcroRay

Yamato makes line-art accurate perfect transformation figures in a large scale for a niche market, and they are a niche company. Their products have had qc issues in the past and continue to do so. There have also been vast improvements in qc as well as in design and execution of the products.

Takara makes inaccurate representations of Transformers (even the Masterpiece are not line art accurate since the line art is so self-contradictory that there might as well not be any often). They are one of the biggest companies in Japan.

Comparing the two is kind of pointless.

The YF-21 belly can and does close. There is nothing wrong with it. It is highly unlikely that you had a faulty or defective model.

More than anything, what makes Yamato products complicated is that it is extremely difficult to memorize every single move and shove and push and pull and bend and twist you need to do or make to transform the figure.

Transformers are made to be put back together if you pop something off. True. They sacrifice accuracey and aesthetics to child safety and durability.

Transformers are for children - or at least they are made with a view to children. Macross is made for adult collectors who are also often times modelers and big time pimps who understand how to handle a woman or an airplane very delicately so as to get maximum joy from her without breaking her.

Pete

I disagree with you. Yamato has been pretty liberal with their valks in line art. The YF-21s legs are not as skinny as protrayed in the line art. Neither is the VF-11B.

Being a little liberal with line art is a must sacrifice to have a PT.

What about the new Leader ROTF Prime. The line art of the truck mode is near perfect. I say about 97%. PERFECT! In robot mode its NEAR PERFECT line art. To expect something that is perfect to line art makes me laugh. IT WILL NEVER happan on any toy. Yet we got a version two of Movie Prime. I would not call it a childrens toy as I have seen to many return of it indicating that its difficulty in transormation is underrated for kids. Its Sturdy, Very Line Accurate as can be, has gimmics and wont fall apart by looking at it.

What about the Masterpice line. Megatron, SS, Grimlock, OP. Sure they were a little liberal with the line art but so what the toy works and we recognize them as soon as we see them. They are overall improvements. Dont tell me you cant recognize a MP SS in its robot mode as being SS. I for one wouldnt want a perfect line art of a shitty cartoon version. And maybe thats the secret of their success.

If yamato concentrated on better materials and transformation engineering and sacrificed their LINE ART PERFECT it would be worth while to spend 200 + on their products. But when a MP SS costs me 125 and hasnt failed me come on!

Yeah they are a small company and all the more reason to be viligant about quality! BTW Takara also gears transformers for the adult collectors market ie

MP line, the smaller HTS line, Binaltech/Alternity line, and even MP LioKieser (misspelled i know). Movie line figures like OP are near MP

I'm just amazed that some of you folks have so much money and so little regard for things that you can just "throw away" an expensive, complex toy. Like it never even occurs to you to offer it to someone for kitbashing for the cost of postage. Or you even lack the imagination to mod it into a 'wrecked' Valk for your display.

Regardless of some persons' disappointment or frustrations at the quality - or lack thereof - of the product, it strikes me that one would simply be an incredibly spoiled-rotten, irresponsible and thoughtless person to simply destroy it or throw it away, especially when you're a member of a community in which many of your peers could make far better use of the item than sending it to your local landfill for a couple million years.

In a hobby that is perhaps essentially childish, some displays of childishness are simply irredeemably negative.

I dont think it was a matter of having so much money. I think its sheer frustration. I like keeping my toys complete, intact with all the pieces otherwise its not worthy of being in my collection. I have in the past searched for lost parts on Ebay and restored the toy but its just so much BS to deal with and sometimes looking at it just reminds you of the contempt you feel for a company that has cheated you out of good money.

I present to you this. After carefully putting it together for hours and transforming it once the whole bloody thing fell apart. I got fed up and wanted to toss it because its worth was just not there. But after seeing what Pete did I made an exception and this is what I now have in my display

DSC02836.jpg

Edited by nugundamII

1) You may have ADHD.

2) The YF-21 come with an extra paper detail the correct leg position. Without them in the right spot the belly plates don't fit.

3) Transformers general releases are rated for 5 years old. Still I manage to break a major hinge of my BW trans-metal Megatron, which I considered a good toy and my own fault. Yamato (USA) just rate all their stuff at 15+, from half-naked lady to the famously fragile Garland.

Rating over 15 years old is for financial reasons. By doing so, Yamato doesn't have to send the toys to labs to certify them to be children friendly. And Yamato can stick to using China factories with their fishy standards of QC and product safety.

As a friendly reminder, please, for your own health, remember to wash your hands after handling these toys. Especially if one collects nekkid figures. :)

Edited by blacklotus