My first Macross related CG project

Dante74

Like the topic title says, this is my first major Macross CG project.

It was created using 3ds Max and Photoshop.

Hope ya'll like it. :ph34r:

gallery_3373_354_967249.jpg

I'd like to thank a few fellow members for helping me out in various ways.

scott8539 for providing the 3d models of the battroid VF's. I got the models a few years ago when I first decided to learn 3ds Max, but was always intimidated by their complexity (rigging, UVW mapping etc.) untill about two months ago when I decided just to start a project and see how far I could get. Thanks Scott!

Rodavan and chillyche. Rodavan is the creator of the Regult model used in the image and chillyche helped me get my hands on it. (with Rodavan's permission of course!) Thanks guys!

Last but certainly not least, Mr March. I needed someone to give me feedback on my work and could think of noone better for the job than him. His critical eye and vast knowledge of Macross mecha has been invaluable during the process. Thanks buddy, couldn't've done it without you!

This was so much fun, I already started work on my next project. B))

It's a beautiful pic, I just have one minor constructive criticism. The regult's positioning looks incorrect. It seems like it would have had to have just walked through a building to get where it's at and it looks like it intends to walk through another building. It seems like there needs to be an intersection where the Regult is walking or the regult should be walking up the street. Another solution might be to turn the left foot forward so it looks like it was walking up the street when it turned to look at something.

Your Regult is a bit out of scale. Also, Skull-1's pose looks unnatural, as far as that applies to a battroid.

However, the 1J and the photoshop work is pretty good.

Actually, all the mecha are out of scale. If I'd make them the right size the VF-1J would be out of frame from the chest up and the Regult would fit in between the buildings. Call it artisitc freedom. ^_^

As for the VF-1S pose, a 'realistic' pose would mean it had gone throught the roof, again, artistic freedom.

Nice work, Dante. You did those models yourself?! Beauty, man.

I used to have that exact same Honda - any chance I'll get to see it crushed by a Regult? ^_^

Thanks Hiriyu! I didn't create the models. scott8539 provided the VF models and Rodavan created the Regult model.

I just created the scene, textured the models, posed the models, and rendered it.

Here's a screencap of the scene. Hope I'm not spoiling the pic by showing how it was made. :ph34r:

screencapc.th.jpg

The big blocks were used as to cast and recieve shadows/reflections on and from the mecha.

It's a beautiful pic, I just have one minor constructive criticism. The regult's positioning looks incorrect. It seems like it would have had to have just walked through a building to get where it's at and it looks like it intends to walk through another building. It seems like there needs to be an intersection where the Regult is walking or the regult should be walking up the street. Another solution might be to turn the left foot forward so it looks like it was walking up the street when it turned to look at something.

Thanks jenius! That's actually exactly the way I imagined it. The Regult arrived at it's current position walking up the street and is in the middle of turning to its right to look at something down between the buildings.

Try adding some bump map or displacement map to the models. Both the VF and the pod are using rusted/dirty textures, it doesn't make sense to be in this way and the shapes being perfectly fine. Try adding very low values, try using anything that will cause very small distortions to the fuselage, not sure about the results. :lol:

I used a bump map for both the panel lines and the weathering. It just isn't noticeable because of the distance of the camera and because I added a noise effect and a slight blur to all rendered elements to match the photograph. I don't want to exagerate any bump/displacement maps just to show that they're there. The only place you'll notice any real distortion is on the Regult's feet and blue part of it's head.

I didn't say "realistic" I said natural. ;)

Skull-1's too stiff looking for his position.

I just noticed the other battroid hand in the picture, as well as the little bit of grafitti that says

"Composition by Dante74"

and

Something about Rodavan. I couldn't tell.

I tried posing him in a similar positition as the VF-1J but it looked too repetitive.

'Something by Rodavan' is 'Regult model by Rodavan'

There's more in there. Try looking for the skull squadron graffiti's

The final result looks wonderful. This is an amazing and all-too-rare complete scene composition of Macross mecha in 3D that is a true treasure. I especially like the graffiti signatures and the VF-1 Battroid hand on the far right side of the picture. Nice use of small details to add quality and richness to an already impressive picture. Well done Dante74!

My only criticism is the VF-1S, which I previously said looked better when he was hiding :)

The final result looks wonderful. This is an amazing and all-too-rare complete scene composition of Macross mecha in 3D that is a true treasure. I especially like the graffiti signatures and the VF-1 Battroid hand on the far right side of the picture. Nice use of small details to add quality and richness to an already impressive picture. Well done Dante74!

My only criticism is the VF-1S, which I previously said looked better when he was hiding :)

Hey, Roy is no coward ya hear! ;)

I could do lots of scenes using this photograph. Like you said, the possibilities are endless. :)

Oh, that reminds me, I guess the live action Robotech movie is farther along than they have said. Found this leaked screencap from one of the scenes. Looks like Michel Bay's work!

Leaked_robotech_liveaction.jpg

Seriously though, fantastic work! My only issue with it is the scale dosn't look correct. I was under the impression the Regult was many times larger than the Valkyries.

Aaaaah! I'm blind! :lol:

The Regult stands 15 m tall, the VF-1J nearly 13 m.

I used some 'artisitic freedom' to fit the Regult in between the building and still have the VF-1J's head in frame. ^_^

Oh, that reminds me, I guess the live action Robotech movie is farther along than they have said. Found this leaked screencap from one of the scenes. Looks like Michel Bay's work!

Seriously though, fantastic work! My only issue with it is the scale dosn't look correct. I was under the impression the Regult was many times larger than the Valkyries.

Aaaaah! I'm blind! :lol:

The Regult stands 15 m tall, the VF-1J nearly 13 m.

I used some 'artisitic freedom' to fit the Regult in between the building and still have the VF-1J's head in frame. ^_^

Its still a bad ass picture though. How long did it take to render? If I get a video of some city scenery in HD, can you do a machmove? If you can machmove, I can composite. Would be a riot to mess with the guys in the Robotech.com forum ^_^

Its still a bad ass picture though. How long did it take to render? If I get a video of some city scenery in HD, can you do a machmove? If you can machmove, I can composite. Would be a riot to mess with the guys in the Robotech.com forum ^_^

I did one render per mech with render times ranging from 10 seconds for the hand to about 4 minutes for the VF-1J. Anti-aliasing was set at maximum, final gather precision at high with 4 bounces and everything else set to high quality.

I've only been doing CG since last october so I can't matchmove. Heck, I'm still struggling with applying textures! When I feel more comfortable using 3ds Max I'd love to have a go at it though.

See, that's the wrong way to look at it. His VF-1S was getting ready to pounce! :)

Meh, to me it looked like he was hiding so the other guys wouldn't see he was smoking a doobie. :p

I'm currently working on getting the Destroids textured. When I finish I might re-visit this photograph and do something with a little more action to it. I might even add some firing gunpods if I can get it to look half decent. :unsure:

Edited by Dante74

Au contrere, mon frere. I think that you missed Dante's rather clever Mac Plus joke there :lol:

Yeah, but mine was more obscure. 3 seconds from... Well, at an average of 22 minutes an episode and 36 episodes, I'd say about 13 hours of animation...

Versus a line from a 4-episode OVA...

Hey, I won't try to shoot you because some holographic psycho-bitch tries to make me. That makes me cooler.

Fantastic work! Im planing to make a short film. Im doing some tests. You could find videos at www.youtube.com/jideto

Are you interested in be part of the project?

Thanks, but I don't know anything about animated CG (yet). Maybe in a couple of years. :rolleyes:

Yeah, but mine was more obscure. 3 seconds from... Well, at an average of 22 minutes an episode and 36 episodes, I'd say about 13 hours of animation...

Versus a line from a 4-episode OVA...

Hey, I won't try to shoot you because some holographic psycho-bitch tries to make me. That makes me cooler.

Yeah, yours was more obscure, you win. <_<

Edited by Dante74

Yeah, yours was more obscure, you win. <_<

Oh, come on. Let's be good sports about this. It's no competition, neither of us win. We both apparently missed each other's reference, so we'll leave it at that. It's not a big enough deal to <_< over if you ask me.

But mine was more obscure :rolleyes:

Anyway, with how you did this one, I think you could do some pretty good stuff, animating CG, if you put your mind to it. ^_^

If that were a scene from the RT movie, BigWest would be George Lucasing WB a$$... :lol: