WTF!! A new Battlestar Galactica film is in the works??!&

taksraven

Yup, I'm a little surprised they didn't take the Ron Moore route. It seems like less of a gamble considering the huge following he had with the series, and we know how Hollywood hates to take any risks if they don't have to.

While i'm not at all excited about a major movie based on the original BSG (given that i still have withdrawal symptoms over Ron Moore's BSG), I can also see how difficult it would be to remake the latter BSG into a holywood movie. after all, what more of the story is there to tell, without contradicting series dogma?

Edited by dreamweaver13

While i'm not at all excited about a major movie based on the original BSG (given that i still have withdrawal symptoms over Ron Moore's BSG), I can also see how difficult it would be to remake the latter BSG into a holywood movie. after all, what more of the story is there to tell, without contradicting series dogma?

The movie could be about galactica during her glory days, or there could have been a galactica that left Kobol after her fall and the movies could be about that galactica and the founding of the 12 colonies.

A movie set during the cylon war cold easily accommodate a less cerebral, more action oriented movie that apparently the studio is going for.

I just don't want to see robot dog monkeys and psychic super solider adama :rolleyes:

The movie could be about galactica during her glory days, or there could have been a galactica that left Kobol after her fall and the movies could be about that galactica and the founding of the 12 colonies.

A movie set during the cylon war cold easily accommodate a less cerebral, more action oriented movie that apparently the studio is going for.

I just don't want to see robot dog monkeys and psychic super solider adama :rolleyes:

No super soldier adama please! :lol:

Yup, I agree that those plotlines could make for good movies. But what big-time studio would possibly greenlight a Brian Singer-helmed blockbuster movie without depicting the human-cylon war? The prequel ideas would probably be approved for direct to video movies or mini-series. I think even the "cylon war" aspect wouldn't be approved because they would probably like to capitalize on any remaining nostalgia over the original series. And besides, i can imagine it now...

Exec: "You mean to tell me that they're all ROBOTS?? Where's the human aspect? we can't have a movie without a human aspect, for chrissakes!"

:p

In my opinion, the only way this will work and make money is if it is somehow set in the same universe as the Moore version - there is still plenty of unexplored history there to sneak in the events of said film. The issue here is that SyFy's BSG is still really fresh in people's mind (more so with The Plan on the horizon). Hardcore fans of the original Galactica will eat up the film, but viewers only exposed to only the reimagined series will simply interpret this as an attempt to cash in on the Galactica brand.

You forgot to include the Pegasus, genius.

:rolleyes: No, that would clearly be left for the eventual sequel. :p

Again, I still think the treatments from chowyunskinny's links would be better served as a television series.

Plus if it's a movie, I'm worried we'll wind up with some derivative of the following ending:

Apollo:
"Boxey, tell your daggit, you were RIGHT. You were right about me."

Boxey:
"But I have to save you!"

Apollo:
"You already have, Lu. . .erm, Boxey. You already have. . ."

maybe we'll get a horrible mash up...

Baltar: Why not come out where I can see you, Adama?

Adama: What do you want her for?

Baltar: Can't you read my mind? What now? Save the girl? You'll have to kill me, Adama. And what will that accomplish? Let them pass that law and they'll have you in chains with a number burned into your forehead.

Adama: It won't be that way.

Baltar: Then kill me and find out. Then release me. Fine!

The movie could be about galactica during her glory days,

Yes, YES! That idea would work, even though they are likely to do it. I enjoyed reading the novelisation when I was young(er) and this mentioned things like the fact that the war with the Cylons had been going for about a thousand years and the Galactica had been at the forefront for most of that war. (I think)

Just like I would have liked to see a Star Wars prequel set when both the Jedi AND the Sith were at their peak, set a looooonnngg time ago. It would have been great.

Taksraven

well i guess i'm from the other camp,, you know the side that hated what moore did to the franchise. i honestly wished for 95% of the chatacters to die in a fire.( not bill adama, he was the man.) i don't want a movie tying into moores vision, but also i remember what singer did with superman, and how he basicly saddled us with Ratner on xmen, so slightly worried about what he'd do.

It's going to be hard to top Moore's BSG, even though the ending was kinda meh.

I really liked the Viper MkII. It was a real tribute to the Vipers from the oringal TV show. The changes were subtle enough to make them look awesome but not so drastic that they didn't resemble the originals. The MKVII didn't do anything for me.....and I really hope this new movie keeps elements like the MKII looking vipers.

Strange that they're doing a movie that has nothing to do with the reimagined TV series when it's still fresh in our minds.

It's going to be hard to top Moore's BSG, even though the ending was kinda meh.

Well, RDM's BSG was made for the small screen and meant for a more episodic pace. The article in the OP is about a Hollywood-budget movie. So it's a little harder to compare the 2 formats.

well i guess i'm from the other camp,, you know the side that hated what moore did to the franchise. i honestly wished for 95% of the chatacters to die in a fire.( not bill adama, he was the man.) i don't want a movie tying into moores vision, but also i remember what singer did with superman, and how he basicly saddled us with Ratner on xmen, so slightly worried about what he'd do.

I'm right there, with you. I actually liked Tigh for a short stretch in the first season, when was sober.

nah,it could be good. Hopefully in this new movie they fully explore Adama's psychic powers... oh, I know, just re-title Dark City into Galactica City, call John Adama and call it a day.

well, maybe CGI in some robot monkey dogs so that the old school fans don't pitch another fit.

Kinda ambivalent about Bryan Singer as a director. The only films of his I sort of liked were 'The Usual Suspects' and the recent Tom Cruise movie 'Valkyrie'.

Really not sure who would be the right or better director for this, as there are so few good genre directors now.

A pre-titanic James Cameron would have been a good choice IMO, but now........!!!!!!!!?????

Graham

Graham, we haven't seen what a post Titanic Cameron can do. That was his last fictional film. ;)

I'm fine with a reboot of the original concept more in line with the '79 series. It's not going to be remotely the same and could be an extremely fun way to shove pop and popcorn into my piehole. I just hope they put better thought into their art direction. I hated the Viper they had in the pipeline for Singer's previous incarnation of this. They should get Syd Mead to do some work for them this time.

A pre-titanic James Cameron would have been a good choice IMO, but now........!!!!!!!!?????

Graham

Well, if we are going to talk about potential directors, I think that Paul Verhoeven would have been a fantastic choice.

Personally I think that technically Titanic was OK, it was just the scriptwriter should have been shot.

Taksraven

Well, if we are going to talk about potential directors, I think that Paul Verhoeven would have been a fantastic choice.

Personally I think that technically Titanic was OK, it was just the scriptwriter should have been shot.

Taksraven

ugh, keep paul verhoeven in the late 80's where he belongs. That man is far too full of himself at this point.

I hope that someday, i about 30 years time, someone makes a sequel series to te RDM universe. The "all this has happened before" thing is too good to pass up.

it happened on earth 1

it happened on Kobol

it happened in the 12 colonies

I would love to see it happen in our earths' future.

Maybe 200 years from now on our planet. Machines rise up and a small group of military and civilians flee our solar system......

RDM's BSG started strong, but faded badly toward the end. I was mostly done with it by midway through the 3rd season and just kept watching through inertia.

I'd be open to a movie, but I think it would only work as a lead in to a new series, or as a pre-determined series of movies. I think it's way too soon for another take on a series, though.

I guess I'm one of the few people that loved the ending of the series.

That said..reboot..now..why? Can't these Hollywood *#$%^'s go after another IP like Buck Rogers already?

If they did buck, they could change ANYTHING they wanted.....except for the design of the star fighter.

that thing is badass.

I guess I'm one of the few people that loved the ending of the series.

That said..reboot..now..why? Can't these Hollywood *#$%^'s go after another IP like Buck Rogers already?

Most people I know, myself included, thought the ending to Moore's BSG was fantastic.

The BSG has been stated that it would NOT be in the RDM universe, but in fact a rebooted version of the 70's show <sigh>. There's a reason why Battlestar Galactica is labeled "Reimagined", its because it wasnt a reboot, it just took the premise and made it into a (relatively) realistic character drama (except near the end, too much deus ex machina for me). A reboot of the original BSG will have a "serious" version of the original show, not an entirely different vision of it.

Expect to see Mormon undertones in this movie.

I honestly though it was one of the better endings of any series I've ever seen. (especially in Sci fi, considering many rarely get to plot out their endings at all thanks to premature cancelations.)

If they did buck, they could change ANYTHING they wanted.....except for the design of the star fighter.

that thing is badass.

Amen.