Transformers Super Thread 9

eriku

Yeah, most of Stan Bush's stuff has been bland in recent years. Does anyone have the album "Stan Bush & Barrage"? Now, THAT is a kickass album, I am not ashamed to admit that I love it. "The Touch" is on it, and it's actually one of its weaker songs. "Heart versus Head", from "The Wraith" soundtrack, can also be found on there.

MOVED FROM THE MACROSS TOY THREADS:

ae_productions wrote:

If you could only collect one TF line, I'd go with the Takara-Tomy Masterpiece line. One of the greatest toy lines of all time. Each figure is better than the previous release.

I tried that. It didn't take. I used to own pretty much all the Transformers ever made up to and including the 2007 movie toys. Then I sold everything. Now I want back in - but I just can't make up my mind yet in what form.

I'm thinking maybe getting Optimus Prime as a first would be a good start. Which one though? I was thinking ROTF - but we'll see... hard to decide...hard to decide...

pete

love the classics/generations/reveal the shield line of figures. the updated g1 cars are cool. i really like skullgrin, red alert, rodimus, cyclonus, tracks, and the seekers. i don't have a jazz loose but i'm sure he's cool. too bad there's no waist articulation on drift. can't wait for wheeljack and grapple. all we need are hoist, trailbreaker, and skids.

does anyone have a pic of all the updated g1 cars in car and robot mode? that would look cool.

post-2880-129581360455_thumb.jpg

MOVED FROM THE MACROSS TOY THREADS:

ae_productions wrote:

I tried that. It didn't take. I used to own pretty much all the Transformers ever made up to and including the 2007 movie toys. Then I sold everything. Now I want back in - but I just can't make up my mind yet in what form.

I'm thinking maybe getting Optimus Prime as a first would be a good start. Which one though? I was thinking ROTF - but we'll see... hard to decide...hard to decide...

pete

If you don't mind my butting in, I seriously recommend ROTF Optimus. He's about 90% accurate to the CG model, except for the lack of that "collar bone" thing between his chest plates and the extra depth to his body to make space for the voice chip and batteries. Articulation is decent as well.

His only weak point are the blades on his arms. They get in the way A LOT when stowed, although you can remove them if you want--requires a little bot dissection, though.

Other than OP, I also suggest HA Jazz and Barricade. Jazz's Takara version looks almost like a non-transformable model car due to his untinted clear plastic windscreen and headlights. Articulation is second to none.

HA Barricade is the best version out there, beating out the deluxe version by far. The only bummer is his somewhat restricted hip articulation. This, however, can be easily remedied by cutting off the two pieces of plastic on both sides of the legs.

Hope this helps.

:( I'm sad now.

I dunno, it looks pretty much like what I've come to expect from anything Bayformers. I don't like their aesthetic either, but I just choose to ignore them. There have been some good bots lately from Classics/Universe/RevealTheShield/WhateverMarketingNameThey'reUsingThisYear.

See, I love the Bayformer designs. They're alien robots, with heavy emphasis on the alien part. I like them because they're a nifty take on the classic look of the characters, even though (for the most part) it's obvious whom is whom compared to their G1 counterparts.

Also, who would believe a giant-sized laser pistol as a Bayformer robot?

If you like them, that's fine. I am not trying to start another Bayformers debate.

I was only trying to make the point that if you don't like a particular design it's ok to just ignore it. You don't have to be a completist. I've skipped buying many different TFs over the years from many different series.

Edited by Grand Admiral

I dunno, it looks pretty much like what I've come to expect from anything Bayformers. I don't like their aesthetic either, but I just choose to ignore them. There have been some good bots lately from Classics/Universe/RevealTheShield/WhateverMarketingNameThey'reUsingThisYear.

actually as a whole I like bayformers a lot more than Classics/universe stuff. My problem is more that it's not how I think Shockwave should look, even with bayformers aesthetic. I was hopping for something taller and slimmer, with bigger shoulders and more sharp, strait lines overall. Also he needs more of the wide, pentagonal window motif on his chest and he should have the giant gun-arm on the left side. I think it's just that I'm really picky about my Shockwaves because he's my favorite character and I'm also wanting a bit more animated influence in terms of proportions as that's become my favorite incarnation of him as of late.

I do really like the Head design for him though.

Found RTS Wave 2, Wreck Gar is awesome! If you see him in stores though, do watch out for the paint apps on the top of the bike. Mine was missing half of one of the flame apps. No big deal, can head back to the store and exchange it, but just a heads up.

90297651.jpg

Wave 2? I've yet to see Wave 1. And Blurr, is he Generations or RTS?

Unless they've recently repackaged him, Blurr's a Generations. He's got the red-packaging ala WFC.

The RTS packaging is drab-yellow/orange almost exactly like the ROTF packaging. That's how you can easily missed out on RTS figs like Jazz coz they're damn hidden among the ROTF-shelfwarmer crap.

Unless they've recently repackaged him, Blurr's a Generations. He's got the red-packaging ala WFC.

The RTS packaging is drab-yellow/orange almost exactly like the ROTF packaging. That's how you can easily missed out on RTS figs like Jazz coz they're damn hidden among the ROTF-shelfwarmer crap.

Actually, the RTS packaging is similar to that of Hunt for the Decepticons (HFTD).

That's how you can easily missed out on RTS figs like Jazz coz they're damn hidden among the ROTF-shelfwarmer crap.

Yeah, no. I've been looking. Every peg with deluxe-class Transformers gets checked. Heck, I'm even checking behind the Animated figures at TRU. There have been no RTS figures put out at any Target, Walmart, TRU, or Wallgreens (where I heard rumors that you could find RTS figures back at Christmas) within 10 miles of me.

Yeah, no. I've been looking. Every peg with deluxe-class Transformers gets checked. Heck, I'm even checking behind the Animated figures at TRU. There have been no RTS figures put out at any Target, Walmart, TRU, or Wallgreens (where I heard rumors that you could find RTS figures back at Christmas) within 10 miles of me.

Yeah. Really gotta combed thoroughly thru all those Ravage and Elita-1 rotf-crap.

Didn't find any at the local walgreens here, either.

The local Target's been like Wally's: all ROTF crap and all priced at $12! The local TRU's even worse. They filled up their whole TF-aisle with the combino-crap stuff. Geezus...

I'm with this guy. I lucked out to find a Turbo Tracks at a Walgreens, but haven't seen or heard a peep about Jazz nearby... I feel like I missed the wave somehow, especially in light of all the excited Wreck-Gar sightings.

At least I got my FansProject Protector in, this thing is SWEET. I also nabbed the upgrade kit for Alternators Prime (Matrix and converting gas can rifle), which really spices the toy up for me. Now just waiting for the Superion add-on kit reissue...

Masterpiece Hot-Rod is out. MOST ANNOYING TRANSFORMER EVER. I don't know what I'm doing wrong, but the car always ends up looking like a banana. :wacko:

Isn't that what hot-rod is supposed to look like? ^_^

Congrats on the grab though, I'll have to wait for the suckier hasbro version.

Edited by eugimon

Masterpiece Hot-Rod is out. MOST ANNOYING TRANSFORMER EVER. I don't know what I'm doing wrong, but the car always ends up looking like a banana. :wacko:

LOL - we need pics (NOT of the banana mode :p )! Besides your first impression of an annoying transformation/alt-mode any other thoughts on this release?

-b.

It looked like a banana in the prototype pics. Anything changed? That's my main complaint with the mold----car mode isn't the "sloped wedge" G1 at all.

All the more reason I'm bummed that the US version isn't getting the trailer. MP Rodimus looked pretty good in space winnebago mode.

I'll post pics of the banana car later, I can't be bothered to fuss around with USB cables now, sorry.

I figured out what I was doing wrong, so I managed to get it to look rather decent now, though.

Very quick summary of my impressions so far (two or three transformations):

-Transformation is annoyingly complex. If you like compelxity, this is for you. I like complexity, too, but not at the expense of fun. Getting everything to fit together JUST RIGHT takes forever, especially in Space Winnebago mode.

-Pegs that won't hold. I don't know if it's the tensions or what, but the guns are forever popping out of the hands, and MANY panels that are supposed to clip in place (black leg cover panels at the bottom of the car, the white rectangle supposed to clip the backpack in place in robot mode, etc.) just do not hold at all.

-Ratchets EVERYWHERE. Every single joint for articulation in robot mode is ratcheted (even the thigh-swivels!), except the neck. Excellent. Except that the tensions are so extreme in one foot's ratchet joint that the inner coil is becoming unwound, forcing the foot to move strangely, as if on a spring.

-"Roll Out!" -- Sorry, no can do. Car/Winnebago does not roll, because of the groin panel that sticks out way too far under the car.. Surely that could have been fixed with an extra hinge somewhere.

OVERALL: You better like either the character or extremely complicated flap-mechanisms and ultra-stiff ratchet joints. Oh, and have a lot of time. If not, this toy may not be for you.

Personally, I'm glad I bought it, I've always wanted an accurate Hot-Rod in all modes. Shame about everything else, though! :p

There's a difference between complex and finicky. There are many small TFs with few parts that are very finicky---often shell-formers. You have to line up everything at once just right or it doesn't lock together at all. And "that one section" can only spin around into place if part A is exactly 33 degrees out and part B is 78 degrees up and 14 degrees back. Finicky, but not very complex.

There are also big TFs with many parts and steps that aren't very hard or finicky, because everything clicks into place nicely, and you can do it in pretty much any order you want. Complex, but not finicky.