Transformers Super Thread 9

eriku

Optimus being dead was enough of a clue for me. That even works for later eps where Prime comes back to life.

If Optimus is around, Rodimus isn't.

Ah, but I've got MP Prime, and he is around. But I don't want MP Hot Rod, I want MP Rodimus Prime. MP Prime, Megatron, and Seekers can have their first-season battles, but I want MP Rodimus Prime to pal around with MP Grimlock (dino mode, blue eyes). And Grimlock will be not the violent renegade who barely respected Prime's authority of season 1, but the lovable doofus of season 3.

A part of that is because Rodimus Prime is a more interesting character than Hot Rod. Hot Rod (and wannabes like Hot Shot and Cheetor) are the cliched over-confident youth who matures enough to ultimate save the day (often while still being a cocky tool). Rodimus was the reluctant leader, making the snap decisions but always second-guessing himself.

But a big part of it is that Hot Rod seems to get all the love. I mean, he got two G1 releases, plus two Alternators, Classics and Animated. Not to mention that it's pretty obvious that Hot Shot is supposed to be Hot Rod... and Excellion. Even Energon Rodimus, the one Rodimus who finally didn't turn into a sports car, looked more like a truck cab than a Space Winnebago. And how many Space Winnebagos have we had since the G1 toy (not counting reissues of said toy)? Just the Titanium one that I really wanted but couldn't find anywhere.

I believe it all comes down to:

Hot Rod is still the coolest car I've ever seen, even beating the Countach. (going by the movie design, not the MP toy). I still want one. If I was a billionaire, I'd have an exact replica commissioned, and drive it around.

Winnebagos are not cool, even with flame deco. I have no desire to ever see/have a "real" Rodimus Prime Winnebago.

Thus, Hot Rod has a lot of fans.

I believe it all comes down to:

Hot Rod is still the coolest car I've ever seen, even beating the Countach. (going by the movie design, not the MP toy). I still want one. If I was a billionaire, I'd have an exact replica commissioned, and drive it around.

Winnebagos are not cool, even with flame deco. I have no desire to ever see/have a "real" Rodimus Prime Winnebago.

Thus, Hot Rod has a lot of fans.

See, Hot Rod had sort of a cool, futuristic look back in the day (like what people in the 80's expected people in 2005 to drive). But there are several cars, some exotic and some not, I'd rather own today.

But if I ever wanted to go on some sort of cross-country road trip in an RV, you better believe I'd want it tarted up with exhaust pipes up the sides and a flame deco.

EDIT: Another example of "car that people in the 80's think people would drive in the future" that I like better than Hot Rod anyway was the Super Gobot Psycho.

Edited by mikeszekely

i loved the hell out of HotRod as a kid, and will still by any Transformer in his red n flames deco, including aramada Hot Shot and Cybertron Excellion.

but the recent TFA Rodimus is just badass in car mode. i Love that toy!

Unrelated to rod's but: Is anyone over ther ein the states seeing Freeway Jazz from TFA on the shelves? ebay prices are ridiculous....

Hot Rod always seemed far more plausible/probable to me.

He sure was: Dome Zero car (1976). In the third pic down, the car has rims similar to the ones found on the Classics toy.

Unrelated to rod's but: Is anyone over ther ein the states seeing Freeway Jazz from TFA on the shelves? ebay prices are ridiculous....

No new TFA stuff here, including Rodimus and Ironhide. I can't find the Blazemaster repaint for Evac either.

I think he missed a part on the transformation. Previous pics had the cab panels/wheels turned outward, covering the shoulder joints.

I had that gobot, loved the hell out of it too.

I did too! At first, I spent an hour trying to figure out how to get the rest of the robot mode out...only to realize that was his robot mode. :blink: Edited by RD Blade

http://www.shortpacked.com/files/comics/2005-05-11-a.gif

Hot Rod: A 2005 car ;)

Also thanks to Dave H for the awesome Transformers that arrived today. Classics Hounsd is awesome, and Ultra Magnus is also cool. He'll be even cooler when i get the City commander armour for him!

Edited by Scream Man

I don't know about you guys across the pond but I'm having a hard time finding Peg here in England... :(

Ended up getting Battle Blade Bumblebee. This is the first movie BB toy I've bought since the original two and I am so glad I didn't. Definitely the best deluxe version released in my opinion :)

Edited by Valkyrie Nut

Drift is all over the place in Australia actually....

Ditto Malaysia!

Fans (and scalpers) ignore Drift and Thrust...though it puzzles me about Thrust, he's one of the elusive characters for the Classic Universe or Henkei line, now he is just flooding the local market. I know Thrust is made for WFC toyline, but I mean the mold fits perfectly!

Ditto Malaysia!

Fans (and scalpers) ignore Drift and Thrust...though it puzzles me about Thrust, he's one of the elusive characters for the Classic Universe or Henkei line, now he is just flooding the local market. I know Thrust is made for WFC toyline, but I mean the mold fits perfectly!

Actually, there is no WFC toy line; the Generations toy line covers characters from G1, WFC and the IDW comics. And people have ignored Thrust mostly because they received word of poor QC (i.e. eyes misprinted away from his face).

Sometimes you have to wonder how many versions of the same song Stan Bush will record. Last year, he re-arranged "The Touch" (again), hoping it would be included in the ROTF soundtrack. Well, it didn't make the cut, and it upset a lot of fans due to the addition of a rap section.

Now, Stan has released a music video of the song, minus the rap. It still doesn't sound right, though.

I was just reading about that on TFW and I found this genius post by a member named Xaxis.

The following may seem a bit harsh, but I just couldn't help re-writing the original lyrics in response to this new version. I could barely listen through it once. While I was curious about the version with the rap in it, and tried to listen, I just couldn't sit through it again. His attempt at forcing "The Touch" into the Linkin Park sound is just painful (I'm not a fan of their style anyway, but it really doesn't suit Stan), and seeing him sing it just makes it that much worse. This almost ends up with David Hasselhoff's videos in my book.

Anyway, here are some lyrics to the tune of the '86 version (which I still like)...

[Keyboard Intro]

You've lost the touch

You've lost your talent

WOAH!

After all is said and done

You should have left this song alone

You've trashed it

The genre that you emulate

Just doesn't make this song sound great

Makes you look like a fool

You were at your best in the original song

You've made it a mess and it's sounding all wrong

You've lost the touch

You've lost your talent

Now you try to keep up

But this new sound just doesn't suit you

You're lacking heart

You're forcing emotion

You know you should just give it up

You've lost the touch

This isn't cool, this isn't "it"

You don't seem to know when to quit

Just retire

You've drained the blood, you've pushed the will

You've rusted the mighty hands of steel

Now you're losin' your ground

It was kind of a hit the first time around

Now it's sounding like sh1t, and you're dragging it down

You've lost the touch

You've lost your talent

Now you try to keep up

But this new sound just doesn't suit you

You're lacking heart

You're forcing emotion

You know you should just give it up

You've lost the touch

You're tryin' way too hard

You know you've lost the touch

You were at your best in the original song

You've made it a mess and it's all sounding wrong

You've lost the touch

You've lost your talent

You've lost the touch

You've lost your talent

Personally, I think the new version of the new version of the old song (sigh) is much better than the new version of the old song I saw last year, but that just means it's only mediocre, whereas last year was hilariously awful, what with those other cheesy band members grinning at the camera. Man, I laughed my ass off.

Edited for clarity. If you can believe that.

Edited by Renato

Sideshow posted a nice little video talking a bit about the Prime maquette. While there isn't much new info, they do have some nice glamor shots of the production statue and some close ups that they don't show on the product page.

You can check it out here: http://www.sideshowtoy.com/videos.php?videoID=755

Q1 2011 cant come soon enough

Ditto Malaysia!

Gosh, could I be the only one in the WHOLE country who actually bought Drift and Thrust along with WFC OP and Bee? :p

BTW, Drift rocks, except for his super-soft chewing gum swords. Currently looking at some model kit/Gundam edged weaponry to find a sword befitting a true Cybertronian samurai. Any suggestions?

I'll probably get chased of this site, but I decided to customize my Hasbro Masterpiece Skywarp with some left over Yamato 1/60 stickers. It's suddenly gone from being my least favorite and boring Seeker to one of my favorites. So what would have happened if it was a Decepticon ship and not the Macross that crashed landed?

post-5693-1283607169_thumb.jpg

Ok, I had heard that the game was pretty good, but that music is straight up EPIC lol

It is pretty good. I played through with 2 friends & had a blast. We just set it on hard mode and went in. Kinda repetitive, but it's mindless action & for the first time in a tf game it kinda captured what I imagined being a tf would be like. Other tf games felt stiff to me.

The price isn't set for MP Rodimus yet, is it?

Snapped some pics of the Fansproject gang.

th_DSCN0328.jpg

What is this toy and where do I buy one?

Last week my girlfriend bought me a transformers toy at toys r us, Drift, with the samurai sword. It is awesome. She is awesome. I love them both!