Transformers Super Thread 9

eriku

I keep wondering--are the prototype pics they show the actual ones Wheeljack made, or their own versions? I know Wheeljack put noseart on most of his, but the pics igear show usually hide where it'd be.

(of course, I still have serious issues with the Dirge one--Thrust and Ramjet were done much better IMHO)

(not real fond of Thurst having Bullpups, but it's better than Dirge's obvious "stabs as canards, with nav lights and ECM still attached"

LOL, the latest latest theory/discussion at TFW2005 actually fits with what I thought when the wheels on his legs were first seen:

Not Hot Rod, but merely a "very complete" vehicle mode/cab for Rodimus, that is of course Hot Rod-esque in style/design. Or in other words--if you remove Rodimus' trailer, there's still a vehicle left, and not half a vehicle with legs sticking out.

Actually, the most recent theory is that it is both toys. This is mainly due to there being the roof to Rodimus Prime's alt mode being hidden up underneath the trailer in one shot. We also see what appears to be a more Hot Rod-esque roof on the back of the robot mode. Why would it have two roofs if it wasn't gonna be both?

The present theory is as follows:

Rodimus Prime's alt mode is actually more or less false. The front end, windshield, and roof appear to be one more or less one solid piece that swings out sideways to allow Hot Rod to disconnect from the trailer, then it swings back into place. After that, it flips up underneath the trailer (there is evidence of this in one of the latest photos). That leaves us with Hot Rod, which in all honesty, looks to be what the robot mode turned into b/c of how long the windshield stored in his back is).

I was very much against it possibly being a 2 in one toy, but Tak/Tom did some sneaky things and it looks like it may in fact be both, which is all kinds of awesome. It would also explain the really high price tag since a ton of engineering had to go into to get that.

Edit: For images and more complete info, check out the last few pages of the tfw2005 thread about it.

Edited by protostar8

Actually, the most recent theory is that it is both toys. This is mainly due to there being the roof to Rodimus Prime's alt mode being hidden up underneath the trailer in one shot. We also see what appears to be a more Hot Rod-esque roof on the back of the robot mode. Why would it have two roofs if it wasn't gonna be both?

The present theory is as follows:

Rodimus Prime's alt mode is actually more or less false. The front end, windshield, and roof appear to be one more or less one solid piece that swings out sideways to allow Hot Rod to disconnect from the trailer, then it swings back into place. After that, it flips up underneath the trailer (there is evidence of this in one of the latest photos). That leaves us with Hot Rod, which in all honesty, looks to be what the robot mode turned into b/c of how long the windshield stored in his back is).

I was very much against it possibly being a 2 in one toy, but Tak/Tom did some sneaky things and it looks like it may in fact be both, which is all kinds of awesome. It would also explain the really high price tag since a ton of engineering had to go into to get that.

Edit: For images and more complete info, check out the last few pages of the tfw2005 thread about it.

The last several pages of that thread really have some old-fasioned Macross World style sleuthing, right down to photos with circled parts and fan-drawn diagrams. I like this recent theory. :)

leader class starscream now out in the wild

That's new? I saw him like a week or two ago; I might have picked some up for the board members had I known he wasn't out en masse yet.

Personally, all I really need is MP Grimlock. Then I can return to the peace of not having to drive around town twice a week looking for Transformers. At least not until WfC Megatron and Soundwave start hitting shelves...

That's new? I saw him like a week or two ago; I might have picked some up for the board members had I known he wasn't out en masse yet.

Personally, all I really need is MP Grimlock. Then I can return to the peace of not having to drive around town twice a week looking for Transformers. At least not until WfC Megatron and Soundwave start hitting shelves...

new out in my neck of the woods, my local TRU only had a dozen animated ratchet's and a few bumblebee masks for the past month or so.

new out in my neck of the woods, my local TRU only had a dozen animated ratchet's and a few bumblebee masks for the past month or so.

Early in July, WfC Prime and Bee turned up for a weekend, then disappeared. For maybe a week, it was nothing but Tuner Mudflap, Animated Ratchet, and those Bee masks. Then Seaspray, the PPCs, some Hunt for Decepticons Deluxes, the new Leader Prime, and Leader Starscream started hitting the shelves. I was frustrated, because I could see TRU getting new product, but it's taken until just this past weekend for me to find Thrust and Peg.

Oh, and they still have a crap ton of those stupid Bee masks. A whole endcap, in fact. I'm kind of hoping they go away, and TRU gets enough Grimlocks to stick them there.

protostar--you can't quote my 3-day-old post and then say "no, the latest is this"... It was the latest at the time I posted.

RDblade--as I said before, simply having HotRod-esque details doesn't mean it's HotRod---what does the back end of Rodimus' cab look like? Probably a lot like Hot Rod's, just not as sleek.

At the moment, I'm still pessimistic, but slightly hopeful, that a perfect Hot Rod vehicle is in there.

What theory is that? I noticed Robot Kingdom has a pre-order for $160.

Huh. Both BBTS and TF Source have it tentatively for $199. Some folks at TFW are treating it as final. Let's hope not.
RDblade--as I said before, simply having HotRod-esque details doesn't mean it's HotRod---what does the back end of Rodimus' cab look like? Probably a lot like Hot Rod's, just not as sleek.

At the moment, I'm still pessimistic, but slightly hopeful, that a perfect Hot Rod vehicle is in there.

This thread has a pic of a larger (HotRod-sized) windshield. There's also a pic of the dummy RP cab folded under the trailer/base.

Somebody even brought up the possibility that HotRod may fit into the trailer nose-first.

All these things combined raise the question: Why would the designers go through all that trouble for an imperfect HotRod car?

Maybe I'm just too optimistic, but it really looks promising.

protostar--you can't quote my 3-day-old post and then say "no, the latest is this"... It was the latest at the time I posted.

Explain why the there are two roofs if Hot Rod isn't there? In one pic, you can see Rodimus Prime's roof tucked up under the trailer. In the robot mode pics, you can see what looks like a Hot Rod roof for his back. I used to think that this was simply Rodimus with that cab from that one episode, but there are several things that just don't make sense unless it is both. If it turns out to not be both, then man oh man did they ever drop the ball b/c if a handful of people on the message boards could figure out how to do it, then there is no reason the design team that brought us the other masterpieces couldn't do it.

If it turns out to not be both, then man oh man did they ever drop the ball b/c if a handful of people on the message boards could figure out how to do it, then there is no reason the design team that brought us the other masterpieces couldn't do it.

Yes, because idle comments on a message board are EXACTLY THE SAME as building a real toy.

All those internet posters are expert toy designers and taking into consideration molding issues, material stresses, pricing considerations, and all the other little details.

NO ONE is making wild guesses based more on what they WANT to see than any real physical evidence.

Right.

If it doesn't happen, it's because there was a reason it couldn't happen. NOT because they totally dropped the ball and a bunch of guys on a message board could do it better.

If it does happen... I still stand by this minirant.

The hood is pretty weak evidence.

Heck, Masterpiece Prime has an entire second false cab front because the animation chest doesn't match the truck front.

There's no reason this can't be true of Hot Rodimus Convoy Prime Directive(with secret NCC-1701 No Bloody A, B, C, or D mode!) as well.

Edited by JB0

Explain why the there are two roofs if Hot Rod isn't there? In one pic, you can see Rodimus Prime's roof tucked up under the trailer.

The pic that wasn't there back when I made my post 3.5 days ago? Yeah, NOW there's pics showing more of the trailer and RP's back, but when I originally posted--there was little more than "that's a lot of back kibble" and "that one bit looks like Hot Rod's rear tailight/fender"--which could still of course, be what RP's rear tailight/fender looks like.

Nobody wants there to be a perfect car-mode Hot Rod in there than me, but I'll wait until Takara says/shows it.

Hot Rod/Rodimus is likely going to be the first MP I'll have bought since Prime. If he does in fact have Hot Rods car mode in there too, it might warrant a second one of him to display in robot and car. Regardless though, I'll likely get him just for the really nice bot mode.

Tuner Mudflap is either so popular that they made tons of him, or so unpopular that they made tons of him and not a soul bought him. Seriously, out of all the retailers in my area, 9 out of 10 transformers are Tuner Mudflap. TRU has 6/10 , with the rest being Animated Cybertron Ratchet. And an endcap of Bee masks, but those never really ate up Transformer shelf anyway, they were classified as roleplaying.

I would say 90% of the transformers at my TRU are the same. I got really lucky with Drift. That being said they did have HA Barricade and Bumblebee as well as 1 leader SS. But their selection of smaller TFs leaves a bit to be desired.

Yesterday, I picked up a KO Masterpiece Optimus Prime at a local hobby shop for roughly US$60 (in comparison, a real Masterpiece Prime here in the Philippines costs US$120 (Hasbro) or US$150 (Takara)). This KO is a copy of the Hasbro version, featuring the missing smokestacks and blue Ion Cannon. Quality-wise, it is virtually identical to the original with a few exceptions/defects:

1. One of the front wheels is warped. Doesn't worry me much, as I actually hate the truck mode of this figure.

2. The chrome parts are scratched-up with some signs of oxidation. I'll most likely strip the chrome and repaint the parts silver.

3. The feet are gray. I'm already repainting them blue.

4. I haven't checked the LED box, but it's pretty loose inside the chest.

5. The head is very loose. I'll correct it by painting a few layers on the ball joint.

Hopefully, by the end of the week, I'll have the feet completely repainted so I can have the figure ready for a quick pictorial.

In the meantime, KO Toys has a review here.

Found a Hubcap and Crossovers Yoda today. Hubcap is excellent: Really nice looking in both modes and lots of articulation. Yoda is cool because he's a Yodabot, but beyond that he kind of sucks as a toy.

Slighty OT but just completed chapter 2 of War For Cybertron and found my favourite piece of dialogue from the game so far:

Skywarp: Did you see that?

Thundercracker: You mean that creepy looking thing that just jumped over the side?

SW: Yeah

TC: Nope, I didn't see anything

Starscream: I should've left you two on the station!

:lol:

Have to agree with the general consensus that HA Jazz and Peg are totally awesome Transformers! I was so happy to see my local Target exploding with Transformers that I just had to pick these guys up. BTW does anyone else who has HA Jazz have an extra peg of plastic on the left hand that does absolutely nothing?

Found a Hubcap and Crossovers Yoda today. Hubcap is excellent: Really nice looking in both modes and lots of articulation. Yoda is cool because he's a Yodabot, but beyond that he kind of sucks as a toy.

Yeah, Hubcap is definitely one of the best Scout Class figures. I'm still deciding whether I should pick up Brimstone, though. The Chopper mode is cool, but I'm not fond of the robot mode. The local toy store still has Divebomb in stock; i might consider that instead.

Hmmm, Yoda Transformer, interesting concept, it is. Poor, however, the execution is.

BTW does anyone else who has HA Jazz have an extra peg of plastic on the left hand that does absolutely nothing?

Are you sure it's not for the human figures to stand on?

I think it is this picture that makes me believe in a Hotrod + Rodimus Prime toy. You can very clearly see there are long exhaust pipes on the back of his leg and a full tire with a tread inside his lower leg. A pure Rodimus has zero need for that. The only reason would be to make it more like the Hotrod toy, that you wouldn't do if it is just Rodimus. The gun has two seperate handles, and it looks like it can split in half to make two smaller guns. There is also a picture that shows a long window, that runs the entire length of his upper body. The window in the RV mode is the same length as the RV hood, and that is only half the length of his chest. There is no way that long a window could be for the RV mode, so it must be for Hotrod!

post-8427-128089115899_thumb.jpg

Edited by J.T. Silversmith

Having found it today, I can say Brimstone is a great Scout. He reminds of a zombie with his lanky limbs and the lack of a lower jawbone. His spindly design allows for great posability, but it also makes him a tad more fragile. In particular, the shoulder ball joints are super tight on mine and they're also on the thin side, so I have to be more cautious moving them around. Anyways, he's a great addition to the growing Scout collection, and he's everything Cy-Kill wanted to be.

Soooooo, Hasbro distribution sucks. We all know this. Tell me how I found a Human Alliance Jazz at Wal-Mart, yet I still haven't found Human Alliance Mudflap which was supposedly released months ago?

BTW does anyone else who has HA Jazz have an extra peg of plastic on the left hand that does absolutely nothing?

Are you sure it's not for the human figures to stand on?

That's exactly what it's for. All the HA figures have a peg so the humans can stand on their hand. Personally I think Jazz's claws looks better holding a human figure by the head.

Soooooo, Hasbro distribution sucks. We all know this. Tell me how I found a Human Alliance Jazz at Wal-Mart, yet I still haven't found Human Alliance Mudflap which was supposedly released months ago?

For the same reason I NEVER saw a Voyager Mindwipe? Not at Target, not at Wal-Mart, not at TRU, not anywhere.