Transformers Super Thread 9

eriku

Indeed, Warbot has my robo-senses tingling more than any of the official TF product I've seen for this year. Mine should have been here today, but apparently BBTS likes to tease me by making me wait extra long even though I live next door to them. :\

so from the reviews of warbot, this thing has diecast metal on his legs and chest!! now that's bad ass! Only thing that might be wrong so far is some joints might be a little loose and his heel is not big or long enough so he might fall on his back if you try to pose him standing up straight. oh and the sword being super thin and a hard plastic which might break if your not careful. The cool feature I saw was that you can actually holster both guns which is a first! ^_^

Now if only the Protect Armor makes it out this year so we can make Rodimus Prime!

Yeah, no kidding! I thought that armor would be the first of their releases this year since they announced it long before their other projects.

Finally found HA Barricade down here. Still haven't opened it, but alt mode sure looks sexy.

... oh and the sword being super thin and a hard plastic which might break if your not careful.

Check this out:

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/transformers...efender-15.html

Assuming none of us will come anywhere close to bending the sword that far, I think we'll be fine. :)

Mine just shipped today, so I'll have to endure one more weekend before getting my hands on this thing.

Guest sh002

anyone have a pic of warbot defender next to fansproject ultra magnus and classics rodimus? it would be interesting if they made a fansproject kup

I'm simply amazed by Defender. If you are considering buying one, DO IT. This is my first Fansproject toy so I wasn't sure what to expect for quality, but even my highest expectations were blown away. The parts fit and finish on this thing is easily some of the best work I've ever seen from any company. I've seen Soul of Chogokin toys come out of the factory looking worse than this thing. It's on par with the finest that Bandai, Yamato, Takara and CMs has produced. This is truly a "high end" toy.

Aside from the gorgeous look and feel of the toy, the articulation and transformation are amazing too. Diecast is used intelligently so that it helps balance and isn't just there for the sake of being diecast. He's got twin handguns that can be holstered, he's got a sword (which doesn't feel fragile AT ALL. It's very flexible). Seriously, the hype isn't just geek wank, it's well warranted. Hasbro couldn't produce something this nice in their wildest dreams. And that's the only problem I can think of with this toy. It's almost too nice to look good with the Classics toys. Like putting a CMs Mugen Calibur in with them as "Roadbuster". There is such an obvious difference in quality. That's not going to stop me of course. My Classics display has been eagerly awaiting Springer's arrival. :)

I'm going to snap up every transforming robot Fansproject puts out. They're a little expensive but I'll gladly give up an entire line of "OK" Transformers for one or two excellent masterpieces like this every year.

And speaking of price, it's amazing that this isn't a lot more expensive considering Fansproject is so small. Consider it a lesson in how much licensing costs. ;)

I'm simply amazed by Defender. If you are considering buying one, DO IT. This is my first Fansproject toy so I wasn't sure what to expect for quality, but even my highest expectations were blown away. The parts fit and finish on this thing is easily some of the best work I've ever seen from any company. I've seen Soul of Chogokin toys come out of the factory looking worse than this thing. It's on par with the finest that Bandai, Yamato, Takara and CMs has produced. This is truly a "high end" toy.

Aside from the gorgeous look and feel of the toy, the articulation and transformation are amazing too. Diecast is used intelligently so that it helps balance and isn't just there for the sake of being diecast. He's got twin handguns that can be holstered, he's got a sword (which doesn't feel fragile AT ALL. It's very flexible). Seriously, the hype isn't just geek wank, it's well warranted. Hasbro couldn't produce something this nice in their wildest dreams. And that's the only problem I can think of with this toy. It's almost too nice to look good with the Classics toys. Like putting a CMs Mugen Calibur in with them as "Roadbuster". There is such an obvious difference in quality. That's not going to stop me of course. My Classics display has been eagerly awaiting Springer's arrival. :)

I'm going to snap up every transforming robot Fansproject puts out. They're a little expensive but I'll gladly give up an entire line of "OK" Transformers for one or two excellent masterpieces like this every year.

And speaking of price, it's amazing that this isn't a lot more expensive considering Fansproject is so small. Consider it a lesson in how much licensing costs. ;)

They don't have a license to Transformers though, at least that's where I read somewhere when someone asked Hasbro at a convention how they feel about them.

They don't have a license to Transformers though, at least that's where I read somewhere when someone asked Hasbro at a convention how they feel about them.

That was my point - they were able to produce and release this at such a low price (low for a high end toy) because they don't have to pay any licensing fees. :)

Edited by eriku

It'll be easy to afford FansProject stuff this year, with how crappy the new official combiner line seems to be. (seriously---you'd think that limb-only TF's with no bot modes, would let Hasbro make BETTER-LOOKING limbs, not worse)

It'll be easy to afford FansProject stuff this year, with how crappy the new official combiner line seems to be. (seriously---you'd think that limb-only TF's with no bot modes, would let Hasbro make BETTER-LOOKING limbs, not worse)

Yeah, I was feeling kind of bummed about TFs in general this year because very little of the new stuff from Hasbro appeals to me (Peg, WFC) and the toys that I'm over-anxious for (animated Rodimus) they seem to have no clear plans for. But Defender reminded me that all the money I might ordinarily hand over to Hasbro will instead help fund the other transforming toys. With Defender, Knight Morpher Commander (the train Optimus), and all of the upcoming stuff from Fansproject, there's actually a decent amount of non-Hasbro stuff to look forward to. I'll even be buying the Bruticus add-on figures even though I don't and wont have Bruticus.

And not to be one of those "How can you like that??" guys, but I do have to say I'm surprised at how much of a postive reaction there is to the combiners. After getting such excellent and creative lines from Animated, Univers/Classics and even the films, I kind of thought most people would look at this new line as a huge step backwards and say, "Really, Hasbro?" But a lot of people seem to really dig them. Which is fine, I'm not trying to question anyone's tastes. I just never expected so many people would be so excited for an Armada/Energon revisit.

I may pick up Silverbolt because I'm a sucker for jets and I like the character, but I wouldn't say I'm excited about him. I watched a video review and he looked no different than the auto-transforming jets from G2 (later revisited in Robotmasters). Those toys are cool, but another one that is so similar in aesthetics and size is kind of boring. :|

Edited by eriku

Got my Springfender in the mail today as well, he is perfect and well worth the $80! All we need now is Protector/Rodimus parts, guess that got put on the backburner because of the bruticus parts. Quick question, does fansproject have a toy manufacturing plant somewhere in china or are these really made in a garage?

Got my Springfender in the mail today as well, he is perfect and well worth the $80! All we need now is Protector/Rodimus parts, guess that got put on the backburner because of the bruticus parts. Quick question, does fansproject have a toy manufacturing plant somewhere in china or are these really made in a garage?

FP are way too small to have their own factory but the demand is too high for them to assemble the toys themselves. They hire factories to produce their toys as most smaller manufacturers do.

Protector has been put on hold until later this year, but I was assured that it is still going ahead and that the design has changed mildly and is still being tweaked - they have invested too much time in it so far to not go ahead with it. In short FP wanted to get their own toys produced first before issuing another 'upgrade' set.

Peg fans are going to have the chance to buy the mold twice, since it looks like Peg's going to get redeccoed as Blurr. He's apparently going to have new weapons and a new head mold, which is pretty cool.

So how many Classics 3.0 does that make for the Generations line? Peg, Straxus/Darkmount, Thrust, Blurr, and anyone else? I thought I remember hearing about another Seeker repaint...

And not to be one of those "How can you like that??" guys, but I do have to say I'm surprised at how much of a postive reaction there is to the combiners. After getting such excellent and creative lines from Animated, Univers/Classics and even the films, I kind of thought most people would look at this new line as a huge step backwards and say, "Really, Hasbro?" But a lot of people seem to really dig them. Which is fine, I'm not trying to question anyone's tastes. I just never expected so many people would be so excited for an Armada/Energon revisit.
Probably because the line looks like toy-fun, with the mix and matching, the auto-transformation limbs, the triple-changing targetmaster partners and what-not. I am pleased that evidently the Transformers fandom can still appreciate kid-appeal gimmicks/design.

Probably because the line looks like toy-fun, with the mix and matching, the auto-transformation limbs, the triple-changing targetmaster partners and what-not. I am pleased that evidently the Transformers fandom can still appreciate kid-appeal gimmicks/design.

I was thinking more of the aesthetics. I love kid-appeal. Hell, I just bought some Machine Robo Rescue toys that work on the same concept (one larger base robot with four drones that all combine) that look even more toyish than the PowerCore toys and I friggin' LOVE them. It's not the fun aspect I was referring to, it's that they look just like a throwback to Energon and Armada - and I always got the impression that the fans in general weren't too hot on those aesthetics. In any case I'm sure there's a lot of "New Toy Excitement" at work like there is for every line, so we won't know how people truly feel about the line until a year or two from now.

I've been waiting for a good review of that. Mini-rant:

As a train fan, I still just can't accept that design as a locomotive. I'm a HUGE plane fan, and I'm pretty "forgiving" when it comes to fictional aircraft designs---very few TF's strike me as "that's just not a plane". But I've really disliked the Hearts of Steel stuff from the beginning, as a big train fan. I love most of Guido's art, but the Hearts of Steel trains just suck. (everything else he did for Hearts of Steel rocked and looks very appropriate/realistic---I don't know why the trains are so odd--it's not just the whole "uber-European train design in America" aspect)

I've been waiting for a good review of that. Mini-rant:

As a train fan, I still just can't accept that design as a locomotive. I'm a HUGE plane fan, and I'm pretty "forgiving" when it comes to fictional aircraft designs---very few TF's strike me as "that's just not a plane". But I've really disliked the Hearts of Steel stuff from the beginning, as a big train fan. I love most of Guido's art, but the Hearts of Steel trains just suck. (everything else he did for Hearts of Steel rocked and looks very appropriate/realistic---I don't know why the trains are so odd--it's not just the whole "uber-European train design in America" aspect)

Is there a good TF train out there? I was hoping for this one to be it, but it just falls on the "robot mode is nice" category (might pick one up though).

JRX / Rail Railer from Transformer: Car Robot a.k.a. Transformers: Robots in Disguise are really good.

Yeah, but only as Railracer, I don't dig their individual modes.

Yeah, but only as Railracer, I don't dig their individual modes.

Well the original poster was complaining that the train TFs he's seen favor robot mode over train mode and these ones favor train mode over robot mode, which seemed to be what he was looking for. Though you're right, the combined JRX or Rail Racer mode looks really good.

anyone have a pic of warbot defender next to fansproject ultra magnus and classics rodimus? it would be interesting if they made a fansproject kup

Ya anything that looks and sounds like G1, we will buy. :lol: