Transformers Super Thread 9

eriku

Still <3 my Masterpiece Prime, even if it's got the gimped smokestacks (wasn't someone doing recasts of these at some point?!).

Just picked up MP Skywarp in Target today, which had a boat load of them. Is the canopy that dark/tinted on the Takara or is it more of a tinted/golden? On the whole, I really like it for $60. Wish I woulda saw US Starscream for that.

I was thinking actually of maybe re-acquiring Hybrid style Optimus Prime... even though the truck mode has its' faults, the robot is beautiful. It is small, true, but it's very nice. And uniquely amongst Transformers, it actually has a stand.

In recomending stuff though, you guys should keep in mind that I've owned every single TF (US issued) ever made and all Japanese TFs issued starting from BW II. Well - actually - the first and only line I've gotten 0 from is ROTF... but if I get Bludgeon and a few others - that'll change I guess...

Oh - and I definitely want Animated Wreck Gar! :)

Pete

Still <3 my Masterpiece Prime, even if it's got the gimped smokestacks (wasn't someone doing recasts of these at some point?!).
A couple years back, I picked up some metal replacement stacks off ebay. Worked out pretty well for me. IIRC, the description said they were cast and chromed by jewelers in Hong Kong.

Edit:

I take it you're aware that he's a shellformer? Other than that and his lift forks kibble, great figure! Edited by RD Blade

I was thinking actually of maybe re-acquiring Hybrid style Optimus Prime... even though the truck mode has its' faults, the robot is beautiful. It is small, true, but it's very nice. And uniquely amongst Transformers, it actually has a stand.

The Titanium 6" came with stands. The Masterpiece seekers also came with stands...

Pete

I definately want Animated Arcee - which will be a real pita to find down here... :(

The Titanium 6" came with stands. The Masterpiece seekers also came with stands...

Eh...the Titanium 6" came with ...platforms :)

The seekers did indeed come with stands - but they were fixed pose stands... as I remember Hybrid Convoy's stand was ..umm...what's the word...moveable? ...beats me...

I dunno.

We'll see....

Pete

The new Combaticon Blastoff looks awesome. I may have to pick that up. I wonder if it's required to have their Barricade add-ons to use it, or it's all part of the same package, etc.

I think it's pretty clear now from that and the silhouette, that they are going to make 2 new limbs, so that you can have 4 different molds. Since we already have a heli and tank mold, a jeep or humvee is the obvious choice for replacing the 2nd tank.

That's pretty impressive, since it is suppose to be a Wal-Mart exclusive!!!

:p :P :p

So were Prime and Starscream, but only saw Prime once (and grabbed it) but never saw Starscream, despite looking at several on many different occasions. This is the first time I saw a shelf/pegwarmer in Masterpiece.

In recomending stuff though, you guys should keep in mind that I've owned every single TF (US issued) ever made and all Japanese TFs issued starting from BW II. Well - actually - the first and only line I've gotten 0 from is ROTF... but if I get Bludgeon and a few others - that'll change I guess...

Pete

Animated Cybertronian Deluxe Optimus Prime is TOYCRACK. Admittedly I wasn't expecting anything beyond a decent figure, but after posing and transforming the toy, I was thoroughly impressed. Best Prime in the Animated line, until the new wingblade Prime is released.

Optimus Primal from the 1st Beast Wars is great too. SO MUCH gimmickry WITHOUT compromising ANY articulation. How they pulled it off boggles my mind, but I know for sure it wasn't a toy that gained a lot of respect from me until years later. It truly is one of the best figures in that line(and there are several).

ROTF Buster Prime looks EXCELLENT too. However there is one WITH the battle mask AND blue pin striping, in the new Buster Prime/Jetfire 2 pack from Japan.

The best Beast Wars Primal is the remould/repaint of from the Takara-Tomy 2 pack which also has the BW Megatron remould/repaint. It's the same ultra class figure from the original run but with better head and chest sculpts, proper missiles, and for Primal, fingers rather than crappy boxy hands.

I had that and sold it.

I kind of regret that. Most of the Beast Wars toys including BW II and Neo are ace.

I also had the Cybertron Deluxe Animated Prime - and he was certainly fun. But like all the rest of Animated - too goofy and doesn't really fit well with any other TFs.

As for ROTF Prime - yeah, he looks nice, but I prefer a Prime that looks like G1.

I dunno what to do.

The problem with Transformers is that once you buy one or two then it's easy to fall back into the whole "I must collect more" syndrome...

I already had all of it anyways...

Beats me...

I need Hasbro/Takara-Tomy to make a "For Pete" TF line.

Totally new moulds of Pete's choice favorite characters. One per month. All in proper style.

Like maybe they can release the entire cast of Bird of Prey with Miss Fatale Figma figure...

there's just no love in Transformers toy designs anymore...

but I'll shut up before I start whining again :)

If I get my hands on Takara Bludgeon...then I'll probably go from there.

Pete

Edited by VFTF1

The new Combaticon Blastoff looks awesome. I may have to pick that up. I wonder if it's required to have their Barricade add-ons to use it, or it's all part of the same package, etc.

I think it's pretty clear now from that and the silhouette, that they are going to make 2 new limbs, so that you can have 4 different molds. Since we already have a heli and tank mold, a jeep or humvee is the obvious choice for replacing the 2nd tank.

I hope there is a Swindle limb, but as it is it looks fantastic. The tank mold is still an anti-aircraft tank instead of a main battle tank, but its a minor quibble.

but I'll shut up before I start whining again :)

You already ARE whining. Just suck it up and move on.

Very interesting news for people who like following this sort of stuff:

http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/o...vietnam-168894/

If Transformers are no longer going to be made in China due to rising labor costs there - then I wonder how long until Yamato, Bandai and smaller producers also move to Vietnam?

Anyways - hurray for "communist" Vietnam I guess. I'm happy to hear that they are doing something right enough over there to attract a producer of this caliber. :)

Pete

Dude, I can probably hook you up with Animated Arcee, depending on how hard it is to find when it hits retail. Send me a PM.

Thanks allot, PM'ed :)

Very interesting news for people who like following this sort of stuff:

http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/o...vietnam-168894/

If Transformers are no longer going to be made in China due to rising labor costs there - then I wonder how long until Yamato, Bandai and smaller producers also move to Vietnam?

Anyways - hurray for "communist" Vietnam I guess. I'm happy to hear that they are doing something right enough over there to attract a producer of this caliber. :)

Pete

Interesting, I heard a rumour that the reason that Device Label Blaster was canceled was due to the production cost being too high for the electronic parts. Hopefully moving to a lower cost facility will see it being produced - along with DL Ravage it was one of the few TF toys I was looking forward to this year.

I personally think Device Label Blaster was canceled for the same reason as Chrono-label and as a number of other items - namely lack of sufficient demand. While ROTF has apparently been successful with the general consumer populace, the number of die-hard TF fans has twindled and dropped off. Therefore all these fan-centered products just had no takers and retailers stopped ordering because customers stopped buying.

Takara is moving the production of ROTF Transformers to Vietnam too - the point being that I think this isn't just a case of Takara moving its' special lines like Device label to 'Nam. We're talking about moving the mass produced main lines there.

Device label is dead in the water because no body buy you and be remembers Blaster from the G1 cartoon and really might want one and appreciate one that turns into a USB hub and holds a G1 cassette.

Hasbro has succeeded in reducing its' adult fanbase as it's relentlessly pushed to expand its' Clueless General Generic Consumer base.

Thus my guess is that there will be no more Encore, no more Masterpiece, no more Device label and Alternity willl remain as it has been -dead in the water.

They're out of juice for the time being.

And things won't pick up in a long time. They will not focus on a Transformers 3 movie. No cartoon even it seems...

In any case - I don't see much TF stuff outside of the movie line coming down the pipeline. In a bad economy why should they risk it if the main line is doing so well?

830 million USD sales worldwide this year for Transformers toys. 99% of that was likely ROTF if I had to guess.

Pete

I personally think Device Label Blaster was canceled for the same reason as Chrono-label and as a number of other items - namely lack of sufficient demand. While ROTF has apparently been successful with the general consumer populace, the number of die-hard TF fans has twindled and dropped off. Therefore all these fan-centered products just had no takers and retailers stopped ordering because customers stopped buying.

Takara is moving the production of ROTF Transformers to Vietnam too - the point being that I think this isn't just a case of Takara moving its' special lines like Device label to 'Nam. We're talking about moving the mass produced main lines there.

Device label is dead in the water because no body buy you and be remembers Blaster from the G1 cartoon and really might want one and appreciate one that turns into a USB hub and holds a G1 cassette.

Hasbro has succeeded in reducing its' adult fanbase as it's relentlessly pushed to expand its' Clueless General Generic Consumer base.

Thus my guess is that there will be no more Encore, no more Masterpiece, no more Device label and Alternity willl remain as it has been -dead in the water.

They're out of juice for the time being.

And things won't pick up in a long time. They will not focus on a Transformers 3 movie. No cartoon even it seems...

In any case - I don't see much TF stuff outside of the movie line coming down the pipeline. In a bad economy why should they risk it if the main line is doing so well?

830 million USD sales worldwide this year for Transformers toys. 99% of that was likely ROTF if I had to guess.

Pete

Was I implying that only select lines would be made in Vietnam? Takara handles all of Hasbro's Transformers production as well as their own - last I heard anyway.

Given the re-releases of G1 toys since the movies I think that the G1 fanbase has grown, not shrunk. Apparently there is a new Masterpiece mold in the works for 2010. Alternity depends upon the licenses they can aquire.

Not focus of Transformers 3..!!?? There is a new cartoon in production now as well as Animated (and toys) being released in Japan.

ROTF Buster Prime looks EXCELLENT too. However there is one WITH the battle mask AND blue pin striping, in the new Buster Prime/Jetfire 2 pack from Japan.

My set arrived and it is indeed awesome. It was a Christmas present to myself.

Jetfire is such a PITA to transform. I clip in the one thruster, and the other pops out. I clip that in, and the other pops out, ad nauseum. I had to clip them simultaneously, and even then the connection is tenuous. And as I try to tighten up some other parts, both of the thrusters popped out. It's a fault of the mold, not the release, because I have the same exact problem with Hasbro Jetfire. I was hoping they'd mold fix the belt halves so that they clip into the voicebox on the bottom of the plane like they're supposed to, but no dice. Just like the Hasbro release, the mounts are there, but the belt halves don't have the clearance to clip into them.

That said, the alt mode looks FAR better than the Hasbro release. All that robot junk on the bottom of the plane is all black, and what isn't black is a painted detail that looks like it should be underneath a plane. When you look at the plane from the side, your eyes are drawn to the top instead of the out of place blue and gray parts underneath the plane as seen on the Hasbro release. Another cool added detail about this new Jetfire is that they used black screws instead of silver, which I didn't notice how much it helped until I looked at Hasbro Jetfire's arms where they really stick out.

I really like this new Prime gun, especially since its entirely optional, not that you wouldn't want to display it, but knowing that you can stow it too is awesome. I also noticed that if you put the gun in the left hand and deploy the arm axe, it helps stabilize the gun a bit, gives you better arm articulation, plus the added bonus of adding a side blade to the gun. Regular Prime and Jetfire combined looks so plain next to the premium recolored combination. I really like all the new painted detail on Prime's head.

That said, I'm worried about the chrome on the bottom of the feet. For those who owned the Takara first movie premium and/or Buster Prime, how much of an issue am I going to have with it chipping? Should I put some padding underneath the feet before putting it on the display shelf? I really wish they would have just used the same silver paint they used elsewhere on the figure as I think it's just as good looking as chrome.

Now I need to ebay my regular Prime and Jetfire.

You know, I read many reviews about trying to get Jetfire's engines in place, and I've never had trouble with mine, and mine LOCK in place very firmly. Either I have a marvelously better one, or everyone else is doing something wrong.

As for a chromed-feet Prime----mine's never chipped, but I've also almost never had it on a hard surface.

Man, I'd love to get the 2-pack, but just can't afford it now. (maybe if I sell my 1st-movie chromed Prime and US Jetfire, but they tend not to have any buyers with the better versions out now)

Man. Went to Target, and saw some of the new Deluxes like Dirge and Tuner Mudflap, but no sign of Bludgeon.

Dirge RULES! One of the best deluxes I've picked up in quite some time. Got Bludgeon and Recon Ironhide, been looking forward to these 2 for MONTHS! Bludgeon is great, I LOVE the mech alive, hidden scabbard gimmick. Now Recon Ironhide, better than the previous versions, however the plastic that the waist peg plugs into looks cheap and splits at the mold line. This happen to anyone else?

Picture review of the Buster Optimus Prime & Jetfire box set (yep, Buster with a face plate):

http://www.toysdaily.com/discuz/thread-118386-1-1.html

http://ngeekhiong.blogspot.com/2009/12/bus...re-box-set.html

Either the guy knows how to take pics or the new scheme makes Jetfire look buyable.

Picture review of the Buster Optimus Prime & Jetfire box set (yep, Buster with a face plate):

http://www.toysdaily.com/discuz/thread-118386-1-1.html

http://ngeekhiong.blogspot.com/2009/12/bus...re-box-set.html

Either the guy knows how to take pics or the new scheme makes Jetfire look buyable.

Awesome!!! They both look terrific!

Where does one acquire one of these sets?

Went to Wal-Mart this evening to try to find Bludgeon. Still no dice, but they finally put their exclusive Powerglide repaint on clearance for $15. Much as I don't care for the mold, I bought one anyway. He's big, top-heavy, and has a ton of back kibble, but at least this one you recognize instantly as Powerglide.