Macross General SCOOPUDA thread

azrael

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

So hete's an interesting developement, Sony/Crunchyroll just bought Rightstuf/Nozomi (the online shop & anime licensor). Why is this interesting & why is it Macross news? Nozomi is the group that licensed 7, Ftontier & Delta for blu-ray.

So now we've got some crazy situation where Sony is releasing both Macross & Robotech in the U.S., on top of live action the movie.

Edited by Keith

2 hours ago, Keith said:

So hete's an interesting developement, Sony/Crunchyroll just bought Rightstuf/Nozomi (the online shop & anime licensor). Why is this interesting & why is it Macross news? Nozomi is the group that licensed 7, Ftontier & Delta for blu-ray.

So now we've got some crazy situation where Sony is releasing both Macross & Robotech in the U.S., on top of live action the movie.

It is very interesting indeed.

4 hours ago, Keith said:

Eh... it makes reasonable sense that Sony is going to want to have the major Macross sequels under its banner now that they indirectly hold the license to the original.

That said, Sony's not actually doing anything with Robotech.  At this point, it may well exist for no reason other than to maintain the SDF Macross license.

1 hour ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Eh... it makes reasonable sense that Sony is going to want to have the major Macross sequels under its banner now that they indirectly hold the license to the original.

That said, Sony's not actually doing anything with Robotech.  At this point, it may well exist for no reason other than to maintain the SDF Macross license.

At this point I'm starting to think someone high up at Sony is a Macross fan.

On 8/4/2022 at 7:15 PM, Seto Kaiba said:

Yknow I had feeling that was partily the reason for the acquisition of Nozomi/Rightstuf.   You could get the rest of Nozomi's catalog on Crunchyroll as well as the rest of Macross sequels on the Crunchyroll streaming platform....(as of now Frontier and Delta aren't on it)

• 4 weeks later...

Here's a new trailer for all of the upcoming movies/concerts/yaddah on the horizon.  Haven't seen the movie yet but the manouvre Hayate pulls popping the leg armors as both a decoy and an in place missile delivery system is interesting.

16 minutes ago, Mommar said:

Haven't seen the movie yet but the manouvre Hayate pulls popping the leg armors as both a decoy and an in place missile delivery system is interesting.

Like a lot of stuff in Delta, that's just copied whole cloth from Frontier.

Alto uses that same trick on Brera in the final battle of The Wings of Farewell.

• 3 weeks later...

Great Mechanics G 2022 Summer (2022.06) :

• VF-25 statue (part of the 'Life-sized Anime Robots' article)
  • Theatrical Macross Delta: Zettai Live! assist. Dir. Yamato interview

While the Zettai Live! article has a plethora of pictures, it has virtually nothing stat related (mostly character and story beats).  The life-sized VF-25 is the one from the 30th anniversary, and has been displayed at Solamachi since 2014.*

* https://cit-skytree.jp/exhibitions/実物大マクロスf-『バルキリー-vf-25f』/

Great Mechanics G 2022 Autumn (2022.09):

SDF Macross 40th anniversary articles:

• the Era of Macross's Release
  • Memory of Macross (music, toys, models)
  • The Challenging Spirit of Macross
  • Macross's (In)Famous Scenes
  • The Era and Setting Understood From The Sizes
  • The Birth of SDFM From The Main Staff's Perspective (Kenichi Matsuzaki [series structure and screenplay], Kazutaka Miyatake [mechanical design], and Shoji Kawamori [mechanical design].

A very large set of articles, however its focus is anything but stats.  New pictures include size comparisons (E.g. VF-1 compared to the F-22, B-2, and the the Kamakura Buddha statue; SDF-1 compared to the Burj Khalifa, etc.)  The last article includes pictures of the Destrover and Aquarius from "Genosiders" in a chart showing the development progression into the Bariantosu and Breast-fighter/Breast-soldier in "Battle City Megaroad" that became the base of Macross, which are pretty neat.

More info here:

Edited by sketchley

• 1 month later...
15 minutes ago, Kicker773 said:

Thanks…then yes getting this. 

Not to burst the bubble but bandai loves vaporware. However, bandai maybe gearing up for a super premium sticker shock one day.

But judging from the size of your macross collection, stickers dont shock you much.🤣

Edited by seti88

Sorry, old timer chiming in (I've been pretty much locked up with classic Macross for the last few decades and poking my head out to test the waters, but loving the mech designs without knowing the stories)

What's with that guy in the black bandage outfit in the center of the YouTube video?  What's with all these sexualized pre-pubescent girls singing and dancing all over?  Who are their audience, old creeps that remember Macross and are pedophiles or young pre-teen boys who are too young to know the OG Macross?  I just don't get it - I just watched the Macross Delta Passionate Walkure movie for the first time tonight and I'm at a loss at how this is Macross?  It's 90% idol singing and music video with 5% text to tie it together and 5% really really fast cut action to the point where you have no spatial awareness of how the fight is happening.  Perhaps this conversation is better in another thread - is there an old timers OG thread somewhere that I can get caught up on how Macross has evolved over the years?  Ouch my back!!!  I feel so old and out of touch!

6 hours ago, wm cheng said:

I just don't get it - I just watched the Macross Delta Passionate Walkure movie for the first time tonight and I'm at a loss at how this is Macross?  It's 90% idol singing and music video with 5% text to tie it together and 5% really really fast cut action to the point where you have no spatial awareness of how the fight is happening.  Perhaps this conversation is better in another thread - is there an old timers OG thread somewhere that I can get caught up on how Macross has evolved over the years?  Ouch my back!!!  I feel so old and out of touch!

Fellow old timer here:

Long story short, Delta is aimed at an entirely different demographic than us.  They took all the things that (apparently) made Frontier popular with the youth, and built from there.  My daughter likes it a lot.  She also likes Vocaloid, as well as some hyper-kinetic Youtubers that talk a mile-a-minute ... which sounds pretty similar to your synopsis of Delta. ;)

10 hours ago, wm cheng said:

What's with that guy in the black bandage outfit in the center of the YouTube video?

The video has Macross content, but it is not exclusively for Macross.  There's very little Macross in it, it's promoting many different Tamashii Nations product lines.

That's Takanori Nishikawa AKA T.M. Revolution, the singer/songwriter/producer/actor and cultural ambassador of Shiga Prefecture.  He's on the show in that costume to promote a S.H. Figuarts figure of himself in that same costume (at ~19:00), which I would assume is probably something he wore in one of his music videos.

What's with all these sexualized pre-pubescent girls singing and dancing all over?

... what?  There's nothing like that in that YouTube video.  The closest to sexualized that video gets is Nishikawa singing in that ridiculous pleather getup.

The second performance with the virtual idols is not Macross either, that's a promotion for Idolmaster.  98% of the video isn't Macross.

I just don't get it - I just watched the Macross Delta Passionate Walkure movie for the first time tonight and I'm at a loss at how this is Macross?  It's 90% idol singing and music video with 5% text to tie it together and 5% really really fast cut action to the point where you have no spatial awareness of how the fight is happening.  Perhaps this conversation is better in another thread - is there an old timers OG thread somewhere that I can get caught up on how Macross has evolved over the years?  Ouch my back!!!  I feel so old and out of touch!

Macross Delta is Macross 7 but with an idol group instead of a rock band and nationalistic aliens using a hate plague for mind control instead of space kaiju.  You're basically seeing the equivalent of Basara going out, spraying off a quick burst of speaker pods, and then singing Planet Dance for the 11 billionth time.

That said, Macross Delta does kind of bear the hallmarks of being a comparatively low-effort and rather derivative (of Frontier and AKB0048) production intended more to promote the real idol group Walkure than a series intended to stand on its own merits.  Passionate Walkure is a compilation movie, so it skips a lot of the expositing that was done in the series.

There are many threads for the series and one for each movie where one can cantankerously complain about the content if one wishes to do so.

Edited by Seto Kaiba

1 hour ago, Seto Kaiba said:

... what?  There's nothing like that in that YouTube video.  The closest to sexualized that video gets is Nishikawa singing in that ridiculous pleather getup.

Sorry, I meant Macross Delta that I just watched, just weird gratuitous nudity and needless emphasis on bouncing bosoms.  Then I watched that video and see very young girls singing and dancing (without the nudity) and made the connection - I didn't realize it was something else.  Sorry I will probably take my old man complaints elsewhere, just disappointing is all and the YouTube video brought it all back.  Thanks for the Macross7 synopsis though, I never got into that series, but your analysis is quite helpful for me to understand in broad strokes - I don't think I would care to get into the minutae.

10 minutes ago, wm cheng said:

Sorry, I meant Macross Delta that I just watched, just weird gratuitous nudity and needless emphasis on bouncing bosoms. 

Oh.  Well, I'd question a few choices of words given that all the characters in it are at least as old as Minmay was at the start of SDF Macross.

Bear in mind, because that series involves an idol group it amplifies the real world demand for members of such a group to have diverse individual appeal to their (predominantly male) audience by giving them diverse appearances and builds to appeal to the largest possible audience.  There'll usually be at least one member who appeals to that particular widespread male preference.  I'm with ya on the gratuitousness of that, but they are trying to move character goods and that's one way to appeal.  (Just not in that video, which is mostly mecha goods for Macross.)

10 minutes ago, wm cheng said:

Thanks for the Macross7 synopsis though, I never got into that series, but your analysis is quite helpful for me to understand in broad strokes - I don't think I would care to get into the minutae.

Don't let my snark convince you it's bad... it's actually quite a fun show once it gets moving, it just drags heavily in the first half. :rofl: 

2 hours ago, wm cheng said:

Sorry, I meant Macross Delta that I just watched, just weird gratuitous nudity and needless emphasis on bouncing bosoms.  Then I watched that video and see very young girls singing and dancing (without the nudity) and made the connection - I didn't realize it was something else.  Sorry I will probably take my old man complaints elsewhere, just disappointing is all and the YouTube video brought it all back.  Thanks for the Macross7 synopsis though, I never got into that series, but your analysis is quite helpful for me to understand in broad strokes - I don't think I would care to get into the minutae.

Gratuitous nudity? I can barely even remember what you're talking about here, except maybe a scene where the girls are relaxing in a Sauna together? I'll see you that and raise you the Minmei Shower Scene from the original TV series... or the improved Mk2 version from DYRL. There's no girl in Macross we see more of than Minmei, IIRC... The bouncing boobs girl is Makina - and that's her thing, she loves showing off what nature blessed her with and the reactions she gets from them. Especially the other girls. 

Also, the format of "artist on holographic scene doing concert number alternating with VF battle scenes" has been a staple since DYRL, and they've been doing it without cutting the music since Frontier. (In Macross Seven, the first performance by the band Fire Bomber is basically cut to shreds because they kept cutting back and forth between a song in progress the concert and the battle in space outside the colony. One of the many complaints about Seven is that despite there being four or five songs at the concert that we hear bits of, the only song they played in its entirety for the next several episodes is the one Basara belts out in the middle of the battle after he barges in with the Fire Valkyrie), and then tries again and again after that.)

It's just that now the technology to animate dance numbers like this has finally gotten to a point where they can use it in anime and they love showing it off... and for the first time since the original series, Ichiro Itano wasn't involved in animating the battle scenes and the people who took over weren't anywhere near his skill. 

Edited by SebastianP

7 hours ago, SebastianP said:

The bouncing boobs girl is Makina - and that's her thing, she loves showing off what nature blessed her with and the reactions she gets from them. Especially the other girls. 

Gratuitous bouncing boobs constantly! :p

25 minutes ago, Shawn said:

OMG I am going to strangle these people with the cameras...

could we get a shot of the OG Vintage Macross stuff!? I saw it for a whole second here

😛

image.png.49d2e92468495bd68bf13b0dffd0a746.png

Where's Gwen and Adrian !!

5 hours ago, Shawn said:

OMG I am going to strangle these people with the cameras...

could we get a shot of the OG Vintage Macross stuff!? I saw it for a whole second here

😛

image.png.49d2e92468495bd68bf13b0dffd0a746.png

Here you go, @Shawn.  I also added photos in the Wooden SDF-1 thread in the Toy Section.

image.jpeg.28014ab727a25404541f032b6f07af46.jpeg

image.jpeg.b019ae447e08d22b39e6133039bd3155.jpeg

image.jpeg.3440aff4890468c52f1d57f26b4e6d69.jpeg

image.jpeg.b56d12dbe9d7652f85c8dc99f090b57c.jpeg

image.jpeg.043a275102b1a70121e622a5e16d7b63.jpeg

image.jpeg.a052d413dcd6b7d9c3d511a56f0ac188.jpeg

image.jpeg.3bfe77d01712810434a6c7d4d2c8dc58.jpeg

image.jpeg.69504f3361b9e86c24fca3f477381e67.jpeg

image.jpeg.89326480055a8eed428d52efff643c75.jpeg

image.jpeg.c1f4d308908ffd7e7d21e0072c85f9d7.jpeg

image.jpeg.8bf5c10523bdf66b23f06316c4f9c04f.jpeg

image.jpeg.0fbde1f6ec183c6205604a9195b61d02.jpeg