Macross General SCOOPUDA thread

azrael

Dengeki Hobby 2013.07

Wasn't planning to pick it up, but as it was at Bookoff for only ¥200... can't beat that price, and especially the timing.

I'm really digging the pose-ability of the new VF-1 puramo. I really dig the gun pod strap (looks a might bit easier to assemble and maintain than the cloth strap that comes with the Hasegawa VF-1 battroid kit).

The wing hardpoints also look interesting - flat squares are replaced with ones with reinforced holes for the mounting pins. Interesting.

Anyhow, attaching picts...

EDIT: not that those fine details show up in the picts (the exchangeable hardpoints are the square pieces in the lower left picture). Probably better to take the pictures in the day or a light box. As it's nighttime and I don't have a light box... :p

post-3910-0-64033900-1370090452_thumb.jpg

post-3910-0-26166900-1370090460_thumb.jpg

Edited by sketchley

Now you too can have a phone that talks to you in either Sheryl or Ranka's voice.

http://www.macrossworld.com/4964/macross-concier/#more-4964

If this were a one time purchase instead of a monthly service (and available in the U.S.), I'd be each and every kind of all over this. Hell, I don't know how I can ever truly be happy again without Sheryl & Ranka in my phone...

You might already know it, but there is some happiness to be had in your computer instead - you can have Ranka sing your songs, in English. The product is GUMI Megpoid English, with the Vocaloid 3 engine and recently released. This Vocaloid is based on Megumi Nakajima's voice (they had her in for hours of special recording sessions). The character design is "inspired by" Ranka (read: a blatant ripoff; I'm not even sure how they settled character copyright issues).

You do need to know a bit about music to handle Vocaloid well. You might also want to search for Gumi songs beforehand to ensure this is close enoiugh to Ranka for you. (Warning: many of these songs are not very well made, the English version is a new product and a "golden" set of well known examples is not there yet. Her more established Japanese version is known as one of the best Vocaloid singing voices - outdoing the famous Mku Hatsune when it comes to musical quality).

Purchase available here: http://en.vocaloidstore.com/index.php?gOo=goods_details.dwt&goodsid=6346&productname=

GUMI was a part of what got me interested in the Macross franchise.

Edited by Saruta

AFAIK, there have been some Vocaloids threads.

IMPO, there have already been such software for English-singing. Why don't they use those things? Sweet Ann, Big-Al, Sonika, and so on.

Still no information about GUMI's birthday celebration party this year? Hmm.

Newtype Ace Vol. 22:

Only the barest minimum of Macross content:

NA Anime Station:

Event: Macross Crossover Live 30: http://macrosslive30.com/

BD&DVD: Macross Plus Complete Blu-ray Box

Goods: 1/72 Perfect Transformation VF-1A/S

Web: http://www.macross30.com/mtg/

Oh, one more: at the bottom of the table of contents, there's a note apologizing that Macross The First has taken a break this month - and there's no MtF indicated for next month (I believe Tochiro already scooped this in the MtR thread, last night).

Sad news.

http://www.macrossworld.com/5042/kenji-colonel-millard-utsumi-passes-away/

Second Macross voice actor this year .....

Don't foeget the dad of Sally (サリーちゃんのパパ) and Senbee Norimaki (則巻千兵衛) from Dr. Slump.
Photos from Radio Kämpfer. Utsumi-san and Nakajima-san.
004.jpg
005.jpg

From Megumi Nakajima's blog "Mamegu Memo." I translated.

http://stblog.stardust-web.net/nakajimamegumi/comment/?entry_id=32397

---

Utsumi Kenji-san.
Everytime I saw him, he always gave me kind words.
And taught me so many things with his smile as bright as the sun.
In "Kämpfer," not only the dubbing of the anime, but I also worked together with him as its radio personalities.
Now I feel suffocated, can't say anything. Am filled with sorrow. And the grateful feelings well up from my heart.
Utsumi-san, thank you very very much.
I pray from the bottom of my heart that your soul rests in peace.
---
Edited by antibiotictab

black heatshield is extra cool. What is this book?

What's this about? Plenty of pictures inside I hope.

I referred to some impressions of "Katare! Gundam." Filled with colored pages, and the special interviews are worth reading, the reviewers said.

Almost the same concepts, may be.

Great Mechanics.DX 25

Macross content roundup:

Macross Plus - an interview with the creator of, and on the CG effects. The most interesting is the smattering of images of the original cells side by side with the CG processed image that appears in the series.

Eg 1: the B&W skeletal X-ray like view the YF-21 takes of the ground technician is, in cel form, yellow, orange, and red!

Eg 2: the cell of Sharon's chip in episode 2 is only the orange and red hued stuff. All the blue and purple hued detail are CG.

Another highlight is the crystal clear (= legible) text on such things as Isamu's 'Parsonal' Data Bank, the SDF-1 bridge breakdown, and so on (as those with the BDs have indicated elsewhere).

It also goes into the technical details of making the CG. In short, rather complicated.

Eg 1: fractals (for the mountain and sky in Eps 1) created on an Amiga, and exported to a Macintosh on an X68000 Cross Cable, and further able to be transferred to a Windows on a floppy (!).

Eg 1: Photoshop: used to make the filter effects for the "eye" of Sharon's CPU, but another part mentions that M+ was made before Photoshop introduced the layers function - expressly making the point that the YF-19 Vs YF-21 Comparative Data Chart that pops up numerous times throughout the series was particularly difficult (the article draws attention to Eps 3, where the data points are shown changing).

Lastly, it highlights some of the more subtle differences between the OVA and movie versions:

Eg 1: the scene where Guld meshes with the YF-21: in Eps. 1 the YF-21 is in fighter form. In the movie, its in battroid form.

Eg 2: Sharon's death/fading out: in Eps. 4, the diamond filter effect has a blue/green hue. In the movie version, it has a yellow/orange hue.

What's this about? Plenty of pictures inside I hope.

The book has some reprinted pictures but at 980 yen dont expect any original ones.

Its mostly a discussion of the Macross, creator interviews (Kawamori, Tenjin, etc), an essay on why Frontier was so popular, a chapter about Macross music, etc.

post-9325-0-81872100-1372406468_thumb.jpg post-9325-0-28341900-1372406471_thumb.jpg

post-9325-0-68600800-1372406473_thumb.jpg post-9325-0-84320900-1372406475_thumb.jpg

The book has some reprinted pictures but at 980 yen dont expect any original ones.

Its mostly a discussion of the Macross, creator interviews (Kawamori, Tenjin, etc), an essay on why Frontier was so popular, a chapter about Macross music, etc.

attachicon.gif1.jpg attachicon.gif2.jpg

attachicon.gif3.jpg attachicon.gif4.jpg

You forgot the most important page... the CONTEXT for SDFM, including an ENTIRE PAGE (with photos!) about the IDOL BOOM!

(Seriously, seeing that single page sold me on the book.)

attachicon.gif1.jpg attachicon.gif2.jpg

attachicon.gif3.jpg attachicon.gif4.jpg

I really like the illustration with the leading ladies of Macross in formation. Even Ishtar and Flower Girl got a spot on it. Found it a bit odd though that Sheryl was front and centre ahead of Minmay but it 2013 after all.

I really like the illustration with the leading ladies of Macross in formation. Even Ishtar and Flower Girl got a spot on it. Found it a bit odd though that Sheryl was front and centre ahead of Minmay but it 2013 after all.

Heh. Wait'll you see the fan-club's choices for the 50 best scenes.

You forgot the most important page... the CONTEXT for SDFM, including an ENTIRE PAGE (with photos!) about the IDOL BOOM!

(Seriously, seeing that single page sold me on the book.)

You mean the page 024, "The brilliant era which bore SDF Macross?"

I suddenly talked about Pink Lady a couple of days ago to you, you remember? I just read it at that time. So that I did it.

Those 2 pages really made me cry... Good old days both for me and Japan.

You mean the page 024, "The brilliant era which bore SDF Macross?"

I suddenly talked about Pink Lady a couple of days ago to you, you remember? I just read it at that time. So that I did it.

Those 2 pages really made me cry... Good old days both for me and Japan.

Yeah, I wasn't surprised they mentioned Seiko's debut... but I was surprised they mentioned "The Girl who Leapt Through Time" Girl's debut and Pink Lady's retirement. No mention of Akina...?

And the "Oil Shock" was surprising, too. So was Sunshine City.

Edited by Gubaba

Yeah, I wasn't surprised they mentioned Seiko's debut... but I was surprised they mentioned "The Girl who Leapt Through Time" Girl's debut and Pink Lady's retirement. No mention of Akina...?

And the "Oil Shock" was surprising, too. So was Sunshine City.

Akina's health condition is now not good and the contract problem is sensitive. So they didn't mention her, I guess.

And as I said to you before, Akina became so popular suddenly in August 1982, so the influence of her was not so big for the early episodes of SDFM. It started October 1982.

Because of Oil Shock in 1974, American cars had become no popular, and in 1982 , the "invasion" of Japanese cars was so remarkable. Moreover, so many British songs hit the chart all over the world in 1982. The pride of Americans blew away at the time. So many Americans lost their pride then not only because of Vietnam...

Many Americans may not want to hear that, but the longing towards America disappeared all over the world in 1982. The year was so impressive for me...

Akina's health condition is now not good and the contract problem is sensitive. So they didn't mention her, I guess.

And as I said to you before, Akina became so popular suddenly in August 1982, so the influence of her was not so big for the early episodes of SDFM. It started October 1982.

Because of Oil Shock in 1974, American cars had become no popular, and in 1982 , the "invasion" of Japanese cars was so remarkable. Moreover, so many British songs hit the chart all over the world in 1982. The pride of Americans blew away at the time. So many Americans lost their pride then not only because of Vietnam...

Many Americans may not want to hear that, but the longing towards America disappeared all over the world in 1982. The year was so impressive for me...

No, it's true. X (not "X Japan," but the Los Angeles X) wrote a song about it.

At least the 90s were awesome.

But yeah, I could see that. The whole "1/2 the world doesn't know how the other 7/8 lives" thing.

Well I meant more the 90s in America but the 90s also gave us G Gundam, Wing, Endless Waltz, X, 08th Ms Team, Turn A, Macross Plus, Cowboy Bebop, Red Dwarf and a whole buncha other stuff so it's ALL good.

It also gave us Right Said Fred and "How Bizarre"...