Macross General SCOOPUDA thread

azrael

Could someone that understands Japanese please translate what Hikaru says in the trailer? I'm assuming it's something along the lines of "I am from the SDF-1, my name is Hikaru Ichijo", but was wondering for sure. It's about at 0:39 or so.

Edited by mrhillz

Dengeki Hobby Magazine April 2013

Overall: despite getting a mention on the cover, the Macross coverage was disappointingly thin...

2 page spread of a YF-25 and YF-29 crossing paths in the sky of where ever the Macross 30 game takes place. The accompanying text talks about the Macross 30 game, the upcoming novelization of the game, and includes a portion of the first chapter of the novelization.
The whole thing is reminiscent of Macross The Ride as they even got KuWa to do a kit build...

4 pages on the YF-25 Prophecy Lion Custom from the Macross 30 game. 2 pages of the Battroid, and approximately 1 page (spread over 2 pages) on the fighter form. Interspersed are picts and info on the pilot, the Macross 30 game and the aircraft in the game. The remaining 2/3 a page are on KuWa's build of two kits (1 battroid, 1 fighter) for this issue.

1 page about Macross 30. About half of it is an interview with the writer of the novelization and a small ad for the 4 Macross the Ride books (2x novels, 2x art books). The page is rounded out with info on the Macross 30 game: purchasing info, the story, the YF-30 Chronos, the 4 main characters and some screenshots of the "historical" Macross characters that appear in the game.

Macross the Forefront
Page 1:
DX Chougokin VF-171 Nightmare Plus (ordinary craft)
Price: ¥14,700 (tax included)
Planned release in the middle of April
Sales Agency: Bandai Collectors Division

Metal Boy VF-1S
Unpainted resin kit
height: about 120 mm
Parts Number: 44
Cost: ¥12,000 (tax included)
Sales Agency: Metal Box

Hasegawa 1/72 VF-1 Valkyrie "Macross 30th Anniversary Paint Kit" (tentative)
Price: undetermined
planned release at the start of summer
Sales Agency: Hasegawa

Pg 2
1/72 Perfect Transformation VF-1 Valkyrie (continues in 1/2 of the next page)
The kit's design is further refined. Points of interest:
A, J and S heads. Gun pod comes with a shoulder strap. Really detailed yellow pilot in clear plastic cockpit (unclear if the cockpit is detailed, and if the colours are just due to the prototype printing process)
The big news is the dorsal surface/upper torso transformation mechanism. It looks fairly complicated for a plastic model kit. The inside panel of the forearms also opens so that the hand can swivel at the wrist and be hidden in fighter mode.
Lastly, there are 4 shots of Kawamori going over prints of the 3DCG model. Pictures include him looking at the mockup with a magnifying glass (I kid you not!), carefully scrutinizing the leg/feet assembly prints, and adding detail with a red marker on the pilot print, referencing Macross Chronicle's DYRL Hikaru Ichijo's character sheet, no less!

Pg 3 is rounded out with:
Sheryl and Ranka socks and mugs (http://search-fn.p-bandai.jp/?q=%83%7D%83N%83%8D%83X〈=ja&cs=Shift_JIS&cate=S0002&search3.x=22&search3.y=6)

Weekly Macross Chronicle Revised Edition (images are of covers #5, 6 and 7, and #5's fold-out VF-1J sheet, both sides).

Macross Crossover Live 30
Date: 2030.7.13, details: http://macrosslive30.com

and...

"Macross 30" Opening (Planet Cradle) and Ending (Wandering) Single
Artist: Chisuga Haruka
Price: ¥1,155 (tax included)
Planned sales from Feb 27.
Sales Agency: Flying Dog
Product Number: VTCL-35147

EDIT: linky: http://www.jvcmusic.co.jp/flyingdog/-/Information/A024282.html

Edited by sketchley

As sketchley said before, a part of the Macross 30 novel is on Dengeki Hobby Magazine.

The novel will be published on March 30. :)

http://hobby.dengeki.com/20130227/3695-news/

Edited by antibiotictab

As has been mentioned before, OSHARE MACROSS EXHIBIT is going to Kyoto Marui Department Store.
What does this mean to any MW members in the area?
Hidetaka Tenjin Autograph Session on March 23!!!
The exhibit will run from March 23 to March 31.
The first 100 people to spend 3000yen at the exhibit on March 23 will recieve a participation ticket for the autograph session later that day.
For anyone who can make it, dont forget to drop some impressions on the boards afterwards! :-)

As has been mentioned before, OSHARE MACROSS EXHIBIT is going to Kyoto Marui Department Store.

What does this mean to any MW members in the area?

Hidetaka Tenjin Autograph Session on March 23!!!

The exhibit will run from March 23 to March 31.

The first 100 people to spend 3000yen at the exhibit on March 23 will recieve a participation ticket for the autograph session later that day.

For anyone who can make it, dont forget to drop some impressions on the boards afterwards! :-)

Hahahaha...ha.

How long do we have to wait for it outside of the building the next time? It depends if it is just a signing event or not. If he draws something, 13 hours waiting will pay off.

Well, I can't say I agree with all that he says, but some Macross coverage is better than none, right?

http://kotaku.com/5990071/so-you-want-to-watch-macross-but-dont-know-where-to-start/gallery/1

Took me a while to figure out how to navigate through that article. You have to click on the pictures. I was like, "so... where's the rest of the article?"

Reading that piece, it came to my attention that "1980s J-pop" is something of an oxymoron (or at least an inaccurate description)... 1980s idol pop is generally referred to as "kayoukyoku", while J-pop itself is really something that came into being during the 1990s. 1980s j-pop I would consider to be more Boowy and stuff like that, which is not what we see in SDF Macross. But anyway, whatever, this is like ultra-nitpicker territory. I just don't consider a lot of Macross music "J-pop". Mac7 gets described that way a lot, too, but as we talked about on an early podcast, M7 and contemporaneous J-pop have so little in common, it's more like the few J-pop songs that do appear in M7 are the ones that are played as a joke, as if to counter the power of Basara's AOR-like power-ballad stylings. But yeah, whatever.

Newtype Ace 2013 Vol. 19

Macross on the cover: the 3 SDFM bridge bunnies (is this the first time they've appeared in pink uniforms?) flanked by Sheryl Nome (movie faux military uniform)
Emblazoned with the text: "Macross! Macross! "Macross the First" #5 and "Macross FF" tankobon on sale March 26!"

The service for this month is a "Shirow Masamune Works" booklet. A few new pieces in his "Dead Drive" series, a collection of the posters he did for the first 6 issues of NA, and summaries of "Apple Seed", "Orion", "Black Magic", "Dominion", "The Ghost in the Shell" (with 1/2 a page dedicated to the new "Arise" series) and the "Intron Depot" series.

The foldout poster also has a new "Dead Drive" illustration by the master.

NA Anime Station:
BD&DVD: "Macross FB7 Listen to my song!" releasing on April 24. BD: initial special edition ¥8,190, Regular Edition: ¥5,040. DVD: ¥5,040
Game: Macross 30
Web: http://www.macross30.com/mtg

Presents:
3 Macross 30 prizes are available.

"Macross Triangle Talk": 5 page NA interview with Kawamori Shouji, Matsui Rena, and Kikuya Megane (Macorss FF's manga-ka). Includes picts of Kawamori transforming the DX Chogokin YF-29 and his Lego VF-25.
I believe the interview takes place in Kawamori's office (drool over the bookshelf!). Fittingly, they're drinking from Macross-themed coffee mugs (Kikuya has a Ranka/Sheryl mug, Kawamori has Ranka's movie version mobile phone mug, and Matsui's is hidden behind statues of Ranka and Sheryl from the 2nd MF movie.

Macross News
Live: Sankyo Presents Macross Crossover Live 30. http://macrosslive30.com

BD&DVD: Macross FB7

BD Box: Macross Plus Complete Blu-Ray Box: ¥17,850. Released on June 21.
Note: box illustration by Tenjin Hidetaka.

Novel: Macross 30 ~The voice that connects the Galaxy": 336 pgs. ¥1,470. Released on March 30.

Game: Macross 30

Manga:

Macross the First: Tales of South Ataria Phase 3

Same bridge bunny art as the cover (albeit flanked by Global). Oddly, their jackets are a cream colour...

Octos attack!
SV-51 launch from the natural gas freighter!
VF-0 launch from what looks like the Asuka carrier!
Shammy et al rush back from a night's drinking at a bar to control the response!
Fokker preps to launch in the VF-1S!
Continued next issue!

Macross FF
Aruto heads over to the abandoned Island 4 to rescue Sheryl who's had her brain hacked and taken over and just announced her intention to take a respite from singing. Despite that, crowds have still shown up to check out the Charity Concert she, Ranka and the S.M.S. crew are doing (not a spoiler, all from last month's issue!)

To say that the ending is predictable would be an understatement. What is surprising is that Macross FF comes to an end with this issue.

Next issue:
Manga: Macross the First

Gundam Ace x Newtype Ace x Samurai Ace new releases for March 1 to March 31:
Macross FF: on 03.26 for ¥588
Macross the First #5: on 03.26 for ¥588

Well, I can't say I agree with all that he says, but some Macross coverage is better than none, right?

http://kotaku.com/5990071/so-you-want-to-watch-macross-but-dont-know-where-to-start/gallery/1

I would link to that all over the place if it actually let you link to specific pages; thanks for the post tho.

Macross Frontier:

Good For: Modern anime fans, classic Macross fans, and anyone who likes the music of Yoko Kano (Ghost in the Shell: SAC, Cowboy Bebop)—so pretty much anyone, really.

Not For: People who dislike joy.

"People that dislike joy" are a noticeable percentage of the population on these forums ;)

Grumpy old forum addicts that hate everything new. :lol:

Kotaku called it 100%

Reading that piece, it came to my attention that "1980s J-pop" is something of an oxymoron (or at least an inaccurate description)... 1980s idol pop is generally referred to as "kayoukyoku", while J-pop itself is really something that came into being during the 1990s. 1980s j-pop I would consider to be more Boowy and stuff like that, which is not what we see in SDF Macross. But anyway, whatever, this is like ultra-nitpicker territory. I just don't consider a lot of Macross music "J-pop". Mac7 gets described that way a lot, too, but as we talked about on an early podcast, M7 and contemporaneous J-pop have so little in common, it's more like the few J-pop songs that do appear in M7 are the ones that are played as a joke, as if to counter the power of Basara's AOR-like power-ballad stylings. But yeah, whatever.

I remember the word "J-pop" started spreading in 1993 or so. So, "1980s J-pop" is a funny usage for the people who have been staying in Japan.

Fire Bomber's songs were not in the style. The Hip Hop and Shibuya-kei mixed style was so popular then; in 90s when M7 was being aired.

The typical songs are like those.

"Kon-ya ha Boogie Back"

http://youtu.be/HSQNaXBjA5c

"DA.YO.NE"

http://youtu.be/JhF_HQRuufE

Yeah, the sound came from George Benson's "Turn Your Love Around."

Edited by antibiotictab

Just saw Tenjin's tweet on it, and was getting ready to post; then saw the front page.

If you can get his signature on a 3D poster, it is super-sweet!

No, as I said... "Someone who should know." Bendo knows nothing.

So Macross just has plain bad luck year after year overseas. A total coincidence that it just keeps happening all the time and not any particular company's fault.

Well, good thing someone put the old legal thread that was locked here to good use.

Edited by Einherjar

I think it's new. The illustrations for the Limited Edition BD of Macross FB7 are available on amazon.jp:

http://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B00AM70OV6

The event of FB7 was held in Ikebukuro today and some members here went there, I guess. I wonder the poster distributed there adopts this new picture or not.

I read the customers' comments on the Amazon JPN web page. It has been severely criticized, but those opinions resemble mine what I said on the Macross SpeakerPODcast Episode 7. Hmm.