Macross General SCOOPUDA thread

azrael

Better late than never, eh?

Newtype Ace 2012 Vol.14

Macross Content:

NA Anime Station:

SDF Macross:

Series newest work! Releasing 20 October (Saturday)!!

Theatrical Info: "Macross FB7 Galactic-style Spirit Listen to my song!"

National advance tickets: ¥1,300 (tax included)

Event 1: Nakajima Megumi Live "5th Anniversary Live ~Megu Magic~"

29 November 2012, 19:00~

Tokyo Nakano Sun Plaza

Tickets: ¥6,000

Event 2: Super Dimensional Amusement Park Macross Stamp Rally in Tokyo Dome City Attractions

until 4 November

10:00~21:00 (open during regular holidays)

Web: http://www.macross30.com/mtg/

Macross 30th Anniversary Special:

Happy Birthday Minmei! (4 pg)

Messages from: Iijima Mari, Kawamori Shouji, Mikimoto Haruhiko, Endo Aya (VA Sheryl Nome), Nakajima Megumi (VA of Ranka Lee), May'n (singer Sheryl Nome), Fukuyama Yoshiki (singer Nekki Basara), Kajiura Chie (singer Mylene Jiinasu) and 6 of the SKE48 members (what do they have to do w/ Macross and why is their an ad for them in the Macross stuff?!)

+ 3 Minmei Memorials: Cinderella Story, Famous Musical Gem, & An Idol Who Falls in Love.

Macross FB7 Listen to My Song (1 pg)

Largely info we've seen before with some new screenshots (despite looking similar, it's not Gavil that comes a calling).

Event News (1 pg):

Super Dimensional Amusement Park Macross Stamp Rally in Tokyo Dome City Attractions

Early period: ~15 October. Latter period: 16 Oct. ~ 4 November

Picts of Sheryl's mobile -as- Taiyaki, and Ranka's tuna buns.

Macross the Design @ Parco

19 Oct ~ 4 November

Linky (surprisingly not in the mag): http://www.parco-art.com/web/museum/exhibition.php?id=473

Macross 30 (tentative)

Announcement of a completely new Macross game TGS

Highlights of paragraph include: made at Tokyo Game Show 2012 at the Bandai Namco games booth. Planned release for 2013.

8 Weeks Contunious Broadcast of Movies and OVAs

Animax: from October

Macross Goods Express (1 pg):

Figure Arts Zero Sheryl Nome (Black Bunny)

http://tamashii.jp/

DX Chougoukin YF-29 Durendal Valkyrie (30th Anniversary Colours)

Bandai Collectors. ¥17,850. Planned end of October release.

1/60 completely transforming VF-17D with Super Packs

Yamato. ¥31,080. Planned November release.

1/60 completely transforming VE-1 Elint Seeker with Option Packs

Yamato. ¥17,640. Planned November release.

Next Issue's ad:

Macross mega-serving!

Macross The First

Macross FF

Macross FB7 (releasing 20 October 9)

Macross 30th Documentary Book Vol. 6

Non-Macross Content:

new Shirow Masamune X Rikudou Koushi manga:

Koukaku no Pandora [Rouge Pandora]: Ghost Urn

Haven't read it at the time of writing, but the first few pages include young girl-cyborg (robots?) lowering undergarments and doing implied suggestive touching with another who has a magic finger effects straight from Ghost in the Shell 2. Thereafter the Shirow-esque elements are present (character designs, 4-legged walking tanks), but the artwork steadily progresses into standard claustrophobia inducing fare, albeit with excellent character art.

Yamato 2199

This is my 2nd must read after Macross the First. Everything about it is awesome (from panel composition, character art, mechanical art, and even story pacing). This month we get to see the effects of the firing of the main gun for the first time. I can't remember the original (haven't seen the remake), but what the do to Jupiter...!

6 of the SKE48 members (what do they have to do w/ Macross and why is their an ad for them in the Macross stuff?!)

Clarification: I think that's the idol group's (they're everywhere :lol:) informal 2D (animation/ACG) club, and thus fans of the show; at least two members lent their voices to the 0048 series, so that counts as an IOU to Kawamori.

Animax is going to re-air DYRL on December 2nd from 10:00 PM.

http://www.animax.co...cross/#program1

Both Macross F movies are being aired on the SAME night.

The False Princes: Nov. 25, 7:00 PM ~

Wings of Goodbye: Nov. 25, 9:10~

http://www.animax.co.jp/special/macross/#program7

Edited by sketchley

Anan(an an), the magazine for young women in Japan. The newest issue.

One featured article is "Gundam for working women, Macross for girls in love."

http://magazineworld...29/img/1829.jpg

Update.

post-14942-0-04031800-1351177778_thumb.jpg

I bought it. The issue is mainly written about the love triangles about SDF Macross and Macross F.

Including Yoko Kanno and Shouko "Shokotan" Nakagawa's interview.

Ah, a little off-topic. I was impressed in the Gundam part. Mirai Yashima is being featured. lol Not Fraw Bow and Sayla Mass...

Edited by antibiotictab

Dengeki Hobby 2012.12

Macross Content:

Bandai Hobby Project Department has started on the development project of a "Fully Transformable VF-1"

Skimming the paragraphs: looks like it'll be a plastic model kit. As they reference the VF-25 kits, it's possible that it might be on the same scale of detail. Alas, despite indicating that it's for the 30th Anniversary... it looks like by the time it'll be released, it'll be the 31st anniversary...

1/72 Scale VF-1 Valkyrie (tentative)

Price: pending Release date: pending

[Content continues in the Macross the Forefront section - mostly as comments from various people involved. Kawamori Shouji, Hidetaka Tenjin, and others.]

All-Japan Hobby Show Report:

VF-4 Lightning III

I've seen the pictures previously reported in MW. In case you've missed the details:

Planned release for December. ¥26,985

3 pg VF-11D Kai Jamming Birds article

In short - the Hasegawa VF-11D Thunder Focus with scratch-built Sound Booster Super Parts.

Macross the Forefront (1 pg)

Hasegawa VF-11B Super Thunderbolt "Macross Plus"

On sale: early November Price: ¥3,570

Includes VF-11C Super Pack (square) nozzle bonus parts. The box art looks really nice. Courtesy Hidetaka san?

Dengeki Hobby Data Collection "Macross 7"

On sale: 10.31 Price: ¥1,155

Hasegawa 1/72 VF-25

On sale: planned release summer, 2013

VF-4G Lightning III

Larger picture in battroid form than the Hobby Show Report. Mentions it's available (only?) at the Yamato Online Shop.

Planned release for December. ¥26,985

DX Chougoukin YF-29 30th Anniversary colouring now on sale! (1 pg)

On sale: now Price: ¥17,850

In addition to pictures in all 3 modes and the box, there's also one of an open cockpit: the pilot suit is white, with grey arms and black and yellow highlights.

Also, there's an announcement that they've decided to make Super Parts for the 30th anniversary YF-29.

On sale: planned 2013.05 release. Price: ¥4,725

Banpresto Macross 30th Anniversary SQ Figure ~Sheryl Nome Coscro [Costume Crossover]~

The Banpresto prize for November.

Non-Macross Content:

Next month's appendix will be a Yamato 2199 "Cosmo Falcon", moulded in the standard fighter's blue. Given the size of the previous appendix model kits, I'm not surprised that the accompanying text mentions "10 cm".

Yamato 2199

Lengthy article on and about building the 1/1000 United Nations Cosmo Navy Combined Fleet. The set looks nice - all 3 ships, molded in colour (red, yellow and white) for ¥3,150.

1 pg (colour) on the Gamirasu characters appearing in the 4th episode, along with 3 colour variants of the Gaiperon class space carrier.

3 pgs (B&W) on the 3 UN Cosmo Navy Combined Fleet kit's ships. I've seen about half of them in Great Mechanics, but it's nice to have them collected in one section, and some of them are larger than the earlier publication.

13 pg (!) on Gunhed (why couldn't the preceding month's special article on Macross be this long?!?]

anyhow... 5 pgs on the movie version, 3 pgs on the comic version, 2 pg on what looks like the movie's production design lineart for the G1 and G2 modes. 1 pg interview with Masahiro Takashima.

3 pgs (2 colour, 1 B&W) on Starship Troopers: Invasion

Specifically a synopsis of the movie, and a 1/72 full-injection static model of the ST powered suit from the movie. If I'm not mistaken, it's a recast/mod of the figure that comes with the BD box set. The last page is an interview along with design artwork for the powered suits by the man himself - Aramaki.

Mag Net on Nov 2 from 24:55. "The history of Macross spelled with its songs."

The guests are Shoji Kawamori, Megumi Nakajima and May'n.

http://www.nhk.or.jp/magnet/

On NHK General TV, so you can watch it all over Japan.

• 2 weeks later...

Newtype Ace 2012 Vol.15

Cover: Macross is front and center! (Sheryl and Mylene, to be specific, with Misa off in the corner.)

Back cover: is a 1 page ad for the M7 BD box set. However, they've slapped the NA logo on it, and it looks like an alternate cover! Cool. The "alternative" cover has Basara and Ranka.

Appendix: Document of Macross: No.006 "Design of the Valkyrie"

Full of VF-1 line art. If you don't have any of the Macross art/animation books, this is well worth picking up. Even if you don't, there are a few images in here that I haven't seen before in my extensive collection (a Kawamori penned battroid mode with main wings stretching below the knees, and tails almost as high as the head lasers, and a VF-1D that shows the thought process before they settled on the infamous 102 (101, 105, 117, and 121 were apparently suggested).

Macross Content:

Fold-out poster/ad: FB7

Not quite a poster, but also not quite an ad...

Macross Ace Plus (column):

"Macross 7" Story: 1 pg; basically an ad for the M7 BD box set. (in universe intro blurb, real world blurb on it's reelease and BD rerelease. Basic intros of Basara, Mylene, Fire Bomber, and the Protodevilun.)

3/4 pg ad: "Macross 30 ~the singing voice(s) that connects the galaxy~"

We've got a title for the game. Ad includes picts (we've seen before on the net). Series/mecha/characters featured: SDFM, Hikaru, VF-1S Strike Valkyrie; M0, Shin, VF-0A Ghost Booster; M+, Isamu, YF-19 Fast Pack; M7, Basara, VF-19 Kai; MF, Aruto, VF-25 Super Pack.

Goods News (bottom 1/4 page):

Hasegawa 1/72 VF-11B Super Thunderbolt "Macross Plus" (with additional new molds)

Planned Release: Nov 11. ¥3,750

Yamata 1/60 fully transformable VF-19P Planet Zola Patrol Corps Specification

Planned release: Dec. ¥23,100

Macross FF is in the midst of taking applications for clothes!

Just skim reading it, but apparently the manga-ka for Macross FF is asking for submissions for costumes for the major characters that appear in the manga.

Thoughts: the Macross 30th anniversary boom appearth to be over. Macross news is quite thin...

Manga:

Macross the First ... is back!

It starts with a treat: painted, full colour character designs for the command staff (Misa Hayase, Global, Claudia, Vanessa, Shammy, Kim, Takashi Hayase, Jeena Bartlow)

The story...

starts as a clip show! Kinda nice to see it, but also a little disappointing. It's the MtF version of Global's report.

Now, this is where things get interesting:

Global is shown in a picture with a son! Not only that, he got married to a "young" wife when Misa was 12 (who was not only present at the wedding, but caught the bouquet), and his wife and son are waiting on Earth!

The message isn't broadcast directly, as the Zentraadi fleet is jamming the Macross. However, it is sent, along with messages from the crew, via 3 Ghost drones, in the hopes that 1 gets through. Misa opts not to send a message.

On Earth, the Unified Forces didn't announce that aliens have attacked, instead saying that South Ataria Island was destroyed in an Anti-Unification Alliance attack (accompanying a picture of Minmei's parents standing over her "grave".)

The story then switches over to the Unified Forces' ongoing preparations after the SDF-1 disappeared: we get shots of the underconstruction SDF-2 in Apollo base (what little we see looks like the TV design for the SDF-2 that wasn't used) inside a factory dry dock in Apollo Base, an underconstruction ARMD VIII at the Work Station in the moon's orbit (note: it's the DYRL version), along with a note that ARMD II~VII have already been commissioned!, and an under-construction Alaska Base grand cannon I (though it's described as a "Gigantic Wide-Area Interception Weapon"!)

At the end, at least one of the QF-3000E Ghost make it to Earth (the SDF-1 appears to have been forced by the persuing Zentraadi to bypass Earth and head toward Venus!!!), and Takashi Hayase is shown surprised at the news that it came from the SDF-1 (thereby implying that even the Unified Forces thought the SDF-1 was destroyed during the Zentraadi attack!).

Interesting, though shorter than I had hoped for, and none of the main characters make their appearance...

Macross FF #.3 first chapter

Next on my must read list. Aruto's father and Brera appear.

• 2 weeks later...

Figure Ou #177 has a cover story on Macross - mostly the most recent toys.

http://www.monoshop.co.jp/shop/products/detail.php?product_id=3088

While looking through it (didn't pick it up), I comparatively lengthy article on the YF-29, especially the most recent one coming out the pipe, as well as the upcoming VF-4.

I have it but similarly only had time to flip through it. Kawamori is interviewed, but it seems it's mainly a Bandai-sponsored thing this time, there doesn't seem to be any mention of the Yamato toys.

http://www.monoshop....product_id=3088

While looking through it (didn't pick it up), I comparatively lengthy article on the YF-29, especially the most recent one coming out the pipe, as well as the upcoming VF-4.

Already has been talked about in the YF-29 topic and released about 4 weeks ago...

I have it but similarly only had time to flip through it.

Oh, you bought it? After talking about it with me on my Facebook page? B))

post-14942-0-18923700-1353174124_thumb.jpg

By the way, I bought Ichiban-kuji booklet recently. Some new illustrations about Macross F, mainly Sheryl and Ranka.

post-14942-0-60675200-1353174483_thumb.jpg

Thanks for your info, the Official Macross World News Feed on Facebook.

I went to the Hasegawa Exhibition "22th JMC" in Hamamatsu-cho.

post-14942-0-53444000-1353246414_thumb.jpeg

post-14942-0-34751200-1353246508_thumb.jpeg

post-14942-0-83449800-1353246549_thumb.jpeg

Max's Valkyrie and Starscream from the Transformers.

post-14942-0-89679000-1353246586_thumb.jpeg

post-14942-0-66767400-1353246904_thumb.jpeg

post-14942-0-11667300-1353246958_thumb.jpeg

post-14942-0-33884600-1353246985_thumb.jpeg

That's awesome... but I still need a Hasegawa VF-19 Fire Valk...

There was only one Hasegawa Fire Valkyrie.

But a Tamago Hikoki...

post-14942-0-49913800-1353301934_thumb.jpeg

A tiny Minmay is standing on a Valkyrie's hand.

post-14942-0-68457200-1353302020_thumb.jpeg

A man who built this one likes Ayrton Senna so much...

post-14942-0-49875300-1353302167_thumb.jpeg

Etching (etched?) parts, hm.

post-14942-0-30645100-1353302735_thumb.jpeg

Dengeki Hobby January 2013

General thoughts: this is one of those issues that I haven't been able to put down after purchasing. It's been awhile...

The best thing about it is the Cosmo Falcon kit that comes with the magazine. But that wasn't the only surprise...

Macross content:

after last month's noticeable slowdown in Macross news (leading me to suspect that the 30th Anniversary events were over), they've picked up again, this month:

VF-1X++ Hakuna Custom

3 pages on a fully transformable Yamato 1/60 conversion. That's right, Yamato. The immediately obvious changes are the custom head and paint. A more closer look reveals things such as the shortened vertical stabilizers. Sadly, a bunch of the option parts on the nose, leading edge of the main wings and engine nacelle packs are missing... a compromise due to it being fully transformable?

You gotta luv the modeller, KuWa, as he posts his work on the web:

VF-1X++ dorsal skin: http://frameout.web.fc2.com/

VF-1X++ prepainted + notes on converting/modifying your Yamato VF-1: http://www.yamato-toys.com/dev/cont_109/04.html

the Cosmo Falcon that comes with the magazine: http://frameout.blog67.fc2.com/blog-entry-475.html

Yamato 1/60 fully transformable VF-4G Lightning III

1 page on the toy in all it's glory. In addition to the three modes, there are a bunch of pictures illustrating the mechanics of the transformation. In short, the more I see of this toy, the more impressed I am of the engineering that went into it.

Bandai Hobby 1/72 fully transformable VF-1 Valkyrie

1 page on the fighter mode mock-up and Kawamori-san going over the details with a Bandai Hobby staff member.

the blog: http://bandai-hobby.net/site/character_macross.html

Interestingly, both pictures on the blog AND 1 of the pictures in the mag have the Dengeki Hobby book being used as a reference! Is it a sign of how good the book is? Or merely a reflection that it's a handy pocket-size?

Chelsea's and Hakuna's crafts are to be sold at the Hobby Megafan Shop

1/2 page detailing the mini VF-1X++ and VF-19ACTIVE. Both retail for ¥1,575

Remainder of the page is:

Hasegawa 1/72 VF-11B Super Thunderbolt. Now on sale. ¥3,570

Hasegawa 1/72 VF-25 Messiah (tentative). Planned summer release.

Bandai Candies Macross Wafers 11: the 11th series is a Christmas themed. Sheryl and Ranka in the Santa costume...

Next page:

The Macross 30 PS3 Game: picts of the VF-19Kai & Basara, VF-25 Super Packs & Aruto, YF-19 FAST Packs & Isamu, VF-0 Ghost Super Parts & Shin, and VF-1S Strike Packs & Hikaru.

Blurb: has a scenario by the well-known Macross novelist Kodachi Ukyou (Macross the Ride, novelization of Macross F, etc.), and is set 1 year after Macross Frontier, in 2060. Has an original story set on the planet Uroborosu. A new Valkyrie will also appear.

Releasing: 2013.02.28

YF-29 30th Colouring Super Parts: for the 30th anniversary colouring YF-29

Planned release; 2013.05. Price: ¥3,150

Macross Items that Appeared at Soul Nation

DX Chougoukin VF-171 Nightmare Plus (general craft)

DX Chougoukin RVF-25 Messiah Valkyrie (Luca Angeloni Renewal Ver.)

Figure Arts Zero Ranka Lee (Wish of Valkyiria) Glowing Red

S.H. MonsterArts Vajra

DX Chougoukin YF-27gamma Lucifer Valkyrie Super Parts set

Whatever happened to the issue Sketchley was talking about with the evolution of the Emigration Fleet ships?

Did I miss that publication??

If memory serves, there were articles to that effect in Great Mechanics.DX and Macross Chronicles; one of the Worldguide and/or Technology sheets.

Posted an interview with AnimEigo's Robert Woodhead on the main page.

http://www.macrossworld.com/3640/an-interview-with-robert-woodhead-about-animeigos-macross-dvd-set/

Thanks for that....

I was not aware of the screen "cropping"....Bandai really had their way with both the tv series and movie huh?

Wonder if a BD version is in the works from ADV or whoever currently holds the license....crossing fingers, toes and eyes!

Thanks for that....

I was not aware of the screen "cropping"....Bandai really had their way with both the tv series and movie huh?

Bandai did as proper a job as anyone could: http://i.imgur.com/LTlhj.jpg

"less aggressive" cropping isn't always for the best: http://i.imgur.com/dRvBJ.jpg

When I first saw the storyboards for SDF TV I almost fell out of my chair because of how much space they left for overscan. There's probably a lot on there even in Bandai's glorious remaster that was never meant for human eyes.

Edited by TMBounty_Hunter

Thanks for that....

Wonder if a BD version is in the works from ADV or whoever currently holds the license....crossing fingers, toes and eyes!

"No" Bandai did not crop the picture for the Bluray, Animeigo zoomedgheir master out a bit during their remaster to show more of the overscan area, and advertised it as such. Bandai's discs remain at the original broadcast ratio

Thanks for that....

Probably not. With the various rights issues only the US Release Macross uses the Animeigo restore and the the Japan/Asia release is the Bandai restore.

For the same reason we will never see the Bandai Blu Ray of SDF Macross either.

Animeigo restore in BD would be fine....

You obviously haven't seen the Bandai bluray set. All AnimEigo had to work with were HG's shite masters, and that stone has been bled for all its worth. Bandai's BD remaster on the other hand looks like you're watching the animation cel's projected directly onto your screen.

You obviously haven't seen the Bandai bluray set. All AnimEigo had to work with were HG's shite masters, and that stone has been bled for all its worth. Bandai's BD remaster on the other hand looks like you're watching the animation cel's projected directly onto your screen.

Hmm. Hearing this makes me even more upset at the price I paid for the Animeigo set. :angry:

I never did get that Paul Champagne designed Macross case either. I wasn't a member of MacrossWorld back then.

The utility of a potential BD set with English subtitles so that I can easily share with friends and family that are not familiar with Macross trumps the arguably better picture quality of the Bandai set....at least for me?

The utility of a potential BD set with English subtitles so that I can easily share with friends and family that are not familiar with Macross trumps the arguably better picture quality of the Bandai set....at least for me?

But the recent ease of adding subs to your Japanese BDs trumps your excuses for buying the set... at least for me?

But the recent ease of adding subs to your Japanese BDs trumps your excuses for buying the set... at least for me?

True, and I would rather get decent fan subs than added cost. I would trust English subs by a Japanese company as much as I would trust Japanese subs on an American series done by Americans.

But I would agree that english subs would gather more international buyers, because I think more people think the same as jvm. Not sure if the increase in buyers would offset costs of adding subs though.