HG and Robotech Debates

I was also curious, to be banned over at RT.com, does MEMo and Mav have the power to ban arbitrarily or do they have to consult the admins first? I know that here at MW, a banning generally requires a consensus among the mods and approval of the admins (or at least it used to). It would seem like the mods at RT.com should have some form of oversight by the admins regarding banning.

dr vinnie

That's a hard question to answer for anyone who isn't on the inside circle on RT.com. I am pretty sure the Admins over at RT.com, Tommy Yune and Mckeaver aren't going to have much of problem with Memo and Mav banning loud Macross fans who under mind their statements and since we know how little they have to work on creating new Robotech stuff they probably have plenty of free time to consult with Memo and Mav.

If your really curious I don't mind starting a ruckus on RT.com to time how long it takes for me to get banned. I don't bother with Robotech.com anyways, plus I got two separate internet connections with multiple IP addresses each so getting banned from RT.com is not a problem for me.

Also, did anyone see this post:

http://www.toplessrobot.com/2009/10/awesom...ycle_helmet.php

LOL... why would Macross fans get mad? Is it a secret that Robotech fans buy Macross products to put into their Robotech collections? If they didn't I'd be surprised. If anything Toynami will stop producing if they can just get their hands on Yamato product. Smart Robotech fans would only get imported stuff, there's no way around that. It's the rabid Robotechphiles that get everything regardless, which is just sad.

Yeah the helmet is old news, I am taking about Topless Robot's nerd baiting with Macross fans.

I thought it was funny. He was clearly doing it in jest.

Oh, and Beltane70...better watch out. The Grand Inquisitor of RT.com, Pizza the Hutt, is after YOU now, because...um...well, I don't know why, precisely. To make sure RT.com is ideologically pure? To prove the depth of his tragic love for Memo? Just because he's bored? Or maybe he's just a powerless little person with dreams of being a big, bad authoritarian who holds judgment over others. I dunno.

Oh, and Beltane70...better watch out. The Grand Inquisitor of RT.com, Pizza the Hutt, is after YOU now, because...um...well, I don't know why, precisely. To make sure RT.com is ideologically pure? To prove the depth of his tragic love for Memo? Just because he's bored? Or maybe he's just a powerless little person with dreams of being a big, bad authoritarian who holds judgment over others. I dunno.

Too much serious business. In the end they really only care about Pizza's money, not extreme loyalty.

Edited by Einherjar

Too much serious business. In the end they really only care about Pizza's money, not extreme loyalty.

I think Pizza thinks he's making himself useful by checking this thread and then trying to get people banned for what they say over here. Even Memo's gonna think Pizza's an annoying little gleet if he keeps it up. :p

I feel like I'm "Good Cop" to Seto's "Bad Cop," but oh well... :p

Really? I'd always assumed I was more of a villain than a "bad cop"... but whatever floats your boat.

And that's why I'm so jealous of Seto. I'm obnoxious too! I hate Robotech, and I'm a Macross Purist and I keep bashing Robotech and HG and nobody sends ME hate mail.

Y'know, the funny thing is that despite the three or four websites where various Robotech die-hards published my e-mail address and implored people to send me hate-mail, I don't think I've ever actually received any hate-mail as the direct result of their efforts.

But I figured out why.

It's because Seto actually KNOWS what he's talking about.

People can't bring themselves to hate me because most of what I say is just coming out of my ass.

But Seto actually does real work to get knowledge - and knowledge always makes people mad.

Bingo! Give the man a prize! You're absolutely correct! It's easy enough to shift aside the opinions of someone who isn't familiar with the subject as so much ignorant bleating (like, for example, Donovan). It's a hell of a lot harder to write off the criticisms of someone who has intimate knowledge of the subject matter... and that means that more often than not, they have no choice but to acknowledge and try to refute what I have to say. Of course, that's an uphill battle most of the time, because most of them don't have a goddamn clue.

Just look at Pizza the Hutt. Originally, he was on my case for saying Macross had been a far more successful and prolific than Robotech because he didn't know about any Macross shows other than the original series, DYRL, and Flashback 2012.

Well, yes, it's that...but there's also the fact that Seto posts on Robotech forums, which you don't. Join RT.com and RTX.com, post often, and you'll get just as wide a fanbase as Seto has, and you too can have a secret lair built inside a volcano, henchmen, a beautiful-but-evil girlfriend, and a stupid sidekick who you have to explain your plans to.

Eh, it wouldn't work very well these days... not with MEMO1DOMINION and Maverick_LSC banning anyone who dares to express an opinion different from their own.

That reminds me... gotta work on raising my girlfriend's evil quotient. The last one was evil enough, but my current one is so innocent that it's kind of scary.

Seto, how many times have I told you to stop bringing your "friends" over here? :p

It's not my fault, it followed me home! :lol:

I merely implied that his continued exclusive participation in this thread would be an indicator that he is here only to defend RT as opposed to contributing to the general community.

Which is what I've been saying since the beginning... he CLAIMS he came here to talk mecha, but so far all he's shown is that he's suffering from some bizarre compulsion to try to defend Robotech from perfectly legitimate criticism.

I was also curious, to be banned over at RT.com, does MEMo and Mav have the power to ban arbitrarily or do they have to consult the admins first? I know that here at MW, a banning generally requires a consensus among the mods and approval of the admins (or at least it used to). It would seem like the mods at RT.com should have some form of oversight by the admins regarding banning.

Well, to be 100% accurate, MEMO and Maverick have the power to arbitrarily remove the posting permissions and chat access of anyone who looks at them funny, provided they refer those people to the admins. Of course, since Steve has mysteriously gone silent, that really means that Maverick and MEMO can ban whoever they please with no retribution. A permanent ban is usually the deletion of a user's account, which only the admins can do.

Nah, Pizza the Hutt is your typical, modern Robotech die-hard... he's got his head lodged so far up his ass that he can see the back of his own teeth. He's got it into his head that if he kisses the asses of the moderators and persecutes enough Macross fans for Harmony Gold, they'll give him authority over his fellow fans by making him a moderator. He's the perfect little goose-stepping minion for MEMO1DOMINION and Kevin McKeever, on a mission to cleanse the web of Macross fans to make way for the glorious Robotech master race.

I think Pizza thinks he's making himself useful by checking this thread and then trying to get people banned for what they say over here. Even Memo's gonna think Pizza's an annoying little gleet if he keeps it up. :p

You kidding? MEMO's probably the one who put him up to it. MEMO's another one of the goose-stepping Robotech fascists who can't stand to hear anyone say anything that isn't praise for Robotech. If you DARE to step into his domain and say you like Macross, you can bet he'll be looking for a way to get rid of you.

Nah, Pizza the Hutt is your typical, modern Robotech die-hard... he's got his head lodged so far up his ass that he can see the back of his own teeth. He's got it into his head that if he kisses the asses of the moderators and persecutes enough Macross fans for Harmony Gold, they'll give him authority over his fellow fans by making him a moderator. He's the perfect little goose-stepping minion for MEMO1DOMINION and Kevin McKeever, on a mission to cleanse the web of Macross fans to make way for the glorious Robotech master race.

You kidding? MEMO's probably the one who put him up to it. MEMO's another one of the goose-stepping Robotech fascists who can't stand to hear anyone say anything that isn't praise for Robotech. If you DARE to step into his domain and say you like Macross, you can bet he'll be looking for a way to get rid of you.

Like Robotech is goodthink. Bellyfeel Robotech is doubleplusgood. Like Macross is CRIMETHINK. If self like Macross, report to thinkpol. If others like Macross, report to thinkpol. Failure to report is INFOCRIME. Like Robotech and Macross is unlogic. Unlogic is CRIMETHINK. THIS WARN YOU!

Edited by Gubaba

Perhaps this board should bear in mind that many of its [Western] fans likely came to Macross FIRST through Robotech. The girlfriend analogy is facetious, in that many Robotech fans first came to the saga without this knowledge. So, no, they are not like said girlfriend, because they are not aware of the lies told by Harmony Gold.

And likewise, by disparaging those fans, they run the risk of alienating them further from their cause, and sending otherwise potential allies running further into Harmony Gold's clutches, since at least there, they are treated with the appearance of respect and welcome

You don't win converts by telling them they suck for things they liely didnt' know

"You suck because you like the product of people who suck, whether you knew it or not!"

I think your friend should read these threads before trying to interject here. This site has never been in the practice of trying to "win converts". Macrossworld has, and has been a site dedicated to Macross. The reason most of us are here is for Macross alone. We don't need "allies" in some craptastic fan perceived war. If you did read through the thread, I think you'd see moreso that most of the jabs that people take here in regards to RT is based on current productions, merchandise, and business practices. I don't know what you were expecting on this site, in particular, this thread, but coming in here, attempting to correct people that have been on this site for a tenured time is really annoying. Especially in light of the fact that you've only been on this site, what, a day? While I do believe we should all be respectful of one another, yours and your buddy's preconceived ideas of this site without any thorough research is not a way to win any argument you have.

You guys are so mean. He ran back into HG's clutches... where it's nice and safe...

It's too bad, really, 'cause he and I actually had a pleasant conversation via PM. We talked about the legal dilemma first, and he got the picture quite quickly. Then he said he wanted to read more technical stuff (and asked if the fact that all the Macross technical book remain unpublished in America was due to HG...I answered "Partially, but also I'm not sure how much a market there is for them here"). I suggested he check Macross Compendium and the Macross Chronicle translations (he disappeared before I could recommend March's site... :unsure: ).

I suggested he check out DYRL or MacPlus, and he said he'd like to, and that was pretty much it. He never said anything about the length of SDF-1.

(BTW, what is the deal with the SDF-1 length? First Doug Bendo mentions it, then JT mentions it, now Capt. Donovan brings it up. I'd never even realized it was an issue before. Everything I've seen says it's 1200 meters, and the exterior animation seems to bear this out. Sure the buildings wouldn't be able to fit inside the ship, but that's just artistic license. Is THAT what this apparently burning question is about?)

I didn't mind him being on here at all, so long as questions he asked were not beaten to death. Then, when he started making assumptions about this site and the people posting here, it got a little annoying. However, at least you were able to brush him up on a few things, Gubaba.

(BTW, what is the deal with the SDF-1 length? First Doug Bendo mentions it, then JT mentions it, now Capt. Donovan brings it up. I'd never even realized it was an issue before. Everything I've seen says it's 1200 meters, and the exterior animation seems to bear this out. Sure the buildings wouldn't be able to fit inside the ship, but that's just artistic license. Is THAT what this apparently burning question is about?)

The answer is already on rt.com. Maybe they're trying to fix something in the universe again.

I can understand JT going through it, his show just starting off, but other longtime fans? That conversation must have come up many times before.

Edited by Einherjar

I didn't mind him being on here at all, so long as questions he asked were not beaten to death. Then, when he started making assumptions about this site and the people posting here, it got a little annoying. However, at least you were able to brush him up on a few things, Gubaba.

No, I agree. I wasn't checing on the thread while I was talking to him much, and was more than a little surprised when I finally looked and saw what he had been saying.

I guess I just felt bad because he went to RT.com first and Memo waved the banhammer over his head IMMEDIATELY, and I don't think it was Capt. Donovan's fault.

Still, I have to admit, it's kind of refreshing to have someone show up who really doesn't get why Macross and Robotech are almost never discussed with equal weight in the same place at the same time. Shows a certain appealing purity, I guess. ^_^

You guys are so mean. He ran back into HG's clutches... where it's nice and safe...

No, I think that, despite everything, Donovan is well aware that it's a lot safer here than it will ever be on Robotech.com or RobotechX.

Well, Doug Bendo opened the debate again because he finds something objectionable about using printed sources for the official stats. In HIS opinion, they should be based solely on observation of the footage, and what the fans think, not what the show's creators intended.

The answer is already on rt.com. Maybe they're trying to fix something in the universe again.

I can understand JT going through it, his show just starting off, but other longtime fans? That conversation must have come up many times before.

Maybe some people don't believe the 1.2 km length to how many people were on that thing. :unsure: But you know what? It's fiction with a touch of realism. Who cares? As long as it's not 1mm with 500,000,000 people.

Well, Doug Bendo opened the debate again because he finds something objectionable about using printed sources for the official stats. In HIS opinion, they should be based solely on observation of the footage, and what the fans think, not what the show's creators intended.

Well, OF COURSE he does...because all the stats come from Japanese sources, and thus are not "pure" Robotech. :lol:

I merely implied that his continued exclusive participation in this thread would be an indicator that he is here only to defend RT as opposed to contributing to the general community.

Which is what I've been saying since the beginning... he CLAIMS he came here to talk mecha, but so far all he's shown is that he's suffering from some bizarre compulsion to try to defend Robotech from perfectly legitimate criticism.

"Legitimate criticism" and bashing statements about "hacks" and "fanboys" and complete and utter dismissal of any worth whatsoever in Robotech are different things. You need to learn the difference.

I have every right to insist on defending Robotech if you insist on your elitist bashing of it. I would not even know (or give a flying frak) about Macross ANYTHING were it not for Robotech introducing me to it, as thefriend friend I quoted pointed out.

Furthermore, I am around in the other theads, reading and learning (at least as much as I care to). Why would I open myself up as flame bait for your anti-Robotech trolling by replying in ways that (at present) would invite such a response?

You're lucky I (or any other casual fan/passer by) that isn't a part of your little "purist" clique even bother to visit, given the sh*tty reception I've been given by 99% of the respondants.

Like Robotech is goodthink. Bellyfeel Robotech is doubleplusgood. Like Macross is CRIMETHINK. If self like Macross, report to thinkpol. If others like Macross, report to thinkpol. Failure to report is INFOCRIME. Like Robotech and Macross is unlogic. Unlogic is CRIMETHINK. THIS WARN YOU!

Change Robotech and Macross around and you have Seto, et al...the sword cuts both ways.

"Legitimate criticism" and bashing statements about "hacks" and "fanboys" and complete and utter dismissal of any worth whatsoever in Robotech are different things. You need to learn the difference.

But a lot of this is legitimate criticism from years of observation by many fans on both sides.

It's too bad, really, 'cause he and I actually had a pleasant conversation via PM. We talked about the legal dilemma first, and he got the picture quite quickly. Then he said he wanted to read more technical stuff (and asked if the fact that all the Macross technical book remain unpublished in America was due to HG...I answered "Partially, but also I'm not sure how much a market there is for them here"). I suggested he check Macross Compendium and the Macross Chronicle translations (he disappeared before I could recommend March's site... :unsure: ).

As you can see, I'm still here, and I did get your recommendation for Mr March's site, thank you for sharing it.

I suggested he check out DYRL or MacPlus, and he said he'd like to, and that was pretty much it. He never said anything about the length of SDF-1.

Different conversation entirely. Admittedly I was a bit distracted. Being accused either indirectly or directly of eithe having an STD, being the same as a domestic violence victim, or generally being a HG stooge (after I repeatedly said I was not a fan of the BUSINESS practices of HG), tends to make me a bit pissed off.

I don't take basher crap off of anti-Browncoats or Enterprise bashers, and I'm not about to take it off of elitist snobs like many of the posters here appear to be. And I'm still being a lot more polite than I really feel.

No, that's the question that initially led me to this site. I come from a tradition of "tech talk" (the "treknology" school) that isn't satisfied by an official pronouncement and "artistic license". The ultimate answer is nice, but so is the debate.

Well, OF COURSE he does...because all the stats come from Japanese sources, and thus are not "pure" Robotech. :lol:

I don't care if it's Robotech OR Macross, it's the same SDF-1, and furthermore I personally don't care if it's printed in Japanese, Swahilli, or Sanskrit. 1.2 km doesn't make sense to me, nor do I feel it matches the visuals.

I thought it was funny. He was clearly doing it in jest.

I can give you two posts why.

In one thread, PTH called someone illiterate. I then commented about Pizza's numerous misspellings and bad grammar in that very post that he called someone illiterate in.

Then, in another thread, Pizza said that Carl Macek should rewrite Robotech: The Untold Story and have HG try to get the rights back to Megazone 23 to use with the rewritten story. In reply, I wrote that they should make their own animation for the Untold Story instead of using Megazone 23. I also said that HG should concentrate on finishing Shadow Rising (yeah, right) before trying to start something new.

Edited by Beltane70

But a lot of this is legitimate criticism from years of observation by many fans on both sides.

I would hesitate to call someone who held that beleif a "fan" of the material myself...but be that as it may, many fans do NOT feel that way as well, so making common cause with just the alleged "fans" that agree with you is shady debating logic at best.

I can give you two posts why.

In one thread, PTH called someone illiterate. I then commented about Pizza's numerous misspellings and bad grammar in that very post that he called someone illiterate in.

Then, in another thread, Pizza said that Carl Macek should rewrite Robotech: The Untold Story and have HG try to get the rights back to Megazone 23 to use with the rewritten story. In reply, I wrote that they should make their own animation for the Untold Story instead of using Megazone 23. I also said that HG should concentrate on finishing Shadow Rising (yeah, right) before trying to start something new.

Those are at least fair and debateable crits. I'd be very interested in seeing SR get finished, preferably by the team that did SC. I've enver understood the big deal about taking comics, esp superheroes and such "live action" when animation is the superior venue for such storytelling.

I don't care if it's Robotech OR Macross, it's the same SDF-1, and furthermore I personally don't care if it's printed in Japanese, Swahilli, or Sanskrit. 1.2 km doesn't make sense to me, nor do I feel it matches the visuals.

I know you don't, but Doug Bendo does...

I would hesitate to call someone who held that beleif a "fan" of the material myself...but be that as it may, many fans do NOT feel that way as well, so making common cause with just the alleged "fans" that agree with you is shady debating logic at best.

No, seriously, people have been treated like crap by HG for the sake of Robotech. That includes Robotech fans.

I think you're looking at it the wrong way. Star Trek is an ORIGINAL creation. And the continuations were done with the involvement of people who worked on the original show.

Not really, other than a few at the beginning of TNG, the "modern" Treks were done by an entirely NEW staff.

Robotech isn't a sequel to Macross, it's not even really an adaptation. It takes the Macross story and animation and turns it into something...different. Of course, whether or not "different" is "better" is a matter of opinion. Most of us here agree that "different" in this case is NOT "better," or else we wouldn't be here.

True as far as it goes, but Shadow Chronicles IS a sequel to all of ROBOTECH that came before it. The complaint was that Shadow Chronicles was "unoriginal" and "pilfered" becasue it used previous elements of ROBOTECH (not Macross), a claim that is spurious on it's face. A Robotech continuation is logically going to build on elements of the prior Robotech installments, including Sentinels.

And if it looks like I'm working BACKWARDS in responding to posts, to a degree I am. I couldn't remember where I left off so I started with the "newest" page first.

Not really, other than a few at the beginning of TNG, the "modern" Treks were done by an entirely NEW staff.

True as far as it goes, but Shadow Chronicles IS a sequel to all of ROBOTECH that came before it. The complaint was that Shadow Chronicles was "unoriginal" and "pilfered" becasue it used previous elements of ROBOTECH (not Macross), a claim that is spurious on it's face. A Robotech continuation is logically going to build on elements of the prior Robotech installments, including Sentinels.

And if it looks like I'm working BACKWARDS in responding to posts, to a degree I am. I couldn't remember where I left off so I started with the "newest" page first.

Come on dude, everybody knows the shadow crapnicles was a ripoff of Star Trek not the sentinels. :lol:

I just noticed on RT.com, PTH just quoted one of my earlier posts from here. :lol:

This one to be exact:

Eh, I'm not too worried about being banned, even though it is kind of fun being able to witness the site as it continues its downward spiral.
Edited by Beltane70