HG and Robotech Debates

Wait, so you can smoke it now too? Damn... it's a power source, chemical catalyst, explosive, medium for high-level genetic engineering, you can get high and mutate from eating and, and now you can smoke it too? Is there anything that stuff CAN'T do? :p

I wonder if I can clean my oven with it.

of course, protoculture powered ovens are self cleaning! :p

1) It's called "adaptation", and it's done all the time in tv/cinema. I think it took a great deal of creatvity to take 3 unrelated anime shows and craft them into ONE multi-generational epic that holds up pretty darn well, thank you very much.

No, an "adaptation" is a composition that's been translated into a new form... like making a movie from a book, or a video game from a TV series. Robotech is not an adaptation in the strictest sense... all it is a fairly shoddy dub made for the express purpose of making Macross long enough to syndicate. It was never a "multi-generational epic", it was a fly-by-night attempt to make a good show longer by tacking two mediocre shows onto the end and pretending they were related.

2) "Shamelessly pilfered for reuse"? You do realize, that as a continuation of the Robotech story, it would by necessity make use of that which came before it. TNG built on TOS Trek and it's films. DS9 built on both TOS and TNG, and Voyager built on all of the above. We're they "shamelessly pilfering? Were they "fanwank"?

Again you betray your ignorance... it's one thing to build on the work of a previous title, it's quite another to baldfacedly take previously created material (in this case, from the Sentinels TV series, comics, and novels) and present it as though it were new, never-before-seen material. The vast majority of the material in the Prelude comic was nothing more than redrawn material from the old Sentinels comics... panel for panel, page for page... the same events, scenes, the same dialogue even... the only thing that changed was the artist. Shadow Chronicles was no different.

The next time you think I'm saying something offensive... do two things before you get your panties in a bunch and start telling me I'm being a big meanie...

1.) Stop and think

2.) Do your research

Oh well, this guy clearly just came here for Seto... :rolleyes:

Wow, really? I had no idea I was so popular. :p

Edited by Seto Kaiba

I think it took a great deal of creatvity to take 3 unrelated anime shows and craft them into ONE multi-generational epic that holds up pretty darn well, thank you very much.

LOL... THere's a new one... please! youre just treading on old grounds. Read the threads cuz you're just someone who has come to beat on a dead horse that's already been beaten by other people after it was beaten to death. And its not even a horse. It's a mule... a mixture of 2 different animals not meant to propigate.

Yeah it's so creative! It takes a genius... like those fake Robocop vs. Terminator youtube videos.

I was just going to go my own way when I saw this part and had to respond.

1) It's called "adaptation", and it's done all the time in tv/cinema. I think it took a great deal of creatvity to take 3 unrelated anime shows and craft them into ONE multi-generational epic that holds up pretty darn well, thank you very much.

no, an adaptation is when you take one persons original work and use it as inspiration for your own original work. taking 3 shows and cobbling them together with a rushed, poorly planed dub in order to make one show long enough to syndicate is called a hack job.

:edit:

No, an "adaptation" is a composition that's been translated into a new form... like making a movie from a book, or a video game from a TV series. Robotech is not an adaptation in the strictest sense... all it is a fairly shoddy dub made for the express purpose of making Macross long enough to syndicate. It was never a "multi-generational epic", it was a fly-by-night attempt to make a good show longer by tacking two mediocre shows onto the end and pretending they were related.

fly-by-night... I like that. wish I had thought of that... -_-

Edited by anime52k8

Is there anything you want to discuss about Robotech or do you have questions about Macross...

I still have the (as yet unspoken) question that started me on this hunt to begin with. It's neither and both a Robotech AND a Macross question, as it involves the SAME footage of the object in question, namely the SDF-1.

I had need of a good size estimate for the ship, and after perusing what material I could find online I was unsatisfied with the "official" answer being presented (1200m in length). I don't feel that it jibes with either the exterior Macross Island scenes OR the rebuilt Macross city interior scenes. Nor did I feel it jibed with certain dialogue elements, such as Fokker's statement that many parts of the ship had been closed off and "abandoned", and yet it still held 70000 people with a great deal of "wasted space" as originally presented.

I was hoping to find a good debate on the topic of SDF-1 size that might give me more insight, and a better figure than the "official" one...

of course, protoculture powered ovens are self cleaning! :p

Kickass... gotta get me one of those.

LOL... THere's a new one... please! youre just treading on old grounds. Read the threads cuz you're just someone who has come to beat on a dead horse that's already been beaten by other people after it was beaten to death. And its not even a horse. It's a mule... a mixture of 2 different animals not meant to propigate.

Eh... it ceased to be a horse (or mule) a good time ago... at this point it's more like beating the shattered, sun-bleached bones that were left after the horse cadaver was beaten into giblets and left out in the desert.

You're not... lol. ;)

But you must have said something at RT.com to make him follow you here.

The way some Robotech fans describe me, you'd think I was one of those over-the-top villains from the old black and white sci-fi serials. The sort of guy who talks in an overly dramatic manner, busts out in maniacal laughter over the least little thing, wears a big black cloak, and lives in a doom fortress with a legion of witless minions.

As much as I'd like the doom fortress, I don't think I could afford the upkeep on the legion of witless minions with my salary.

I'm pretty sure it couldn't have been anything I said over on Robotech.com... after all, it's been over a month since I was banned over there. <_<

I had need of a good size estimate for the ship, and after perusing what material I could find online I was unsatisfied with the "official" answer being presented (1200m in length). I don't feel that it jibes with either the exterior Macross Island scenes OR the rebuilt Macross city interior scenes. Nor did I feel it jibed with certain dialogue elements, such as Fokker's statement that many parts of the ship had been closed off and "abandoned", and yet it still held 70000 people with a great deal of "wasted space" as originally presented.

I was hoping to find a good debate on the topic of SDF-1 size that might give me more insight, and a better figure than the "official" one...

Most folks don't really bother questioning the 1,200m length of the ship. Yeah, the habitat blocks would have to have a population density approaching or possibly even exceeding that of downtown Tokyo, but most of us just accept that as artistic license. Odds are they didn't salvage the ENTIRE island, just the buildings, some soil, and some other debris. It's also odds-on that the soldiers were living on the Daedalus, Prometheus, and in barracks elsewhere in the ship, which can let you fit rather a lot of people into not a lot of space. It's also likely that some of the citizenry were offered similar accommodations. The DYRL version definitely downplayed the "wasted space" aspect by having the city sections taking up a sizable amount of the ship's interior, including almost all of the interior space in both of the ship's engine blocks.

According to Macross Chronicle, the first purpose-built colony ship (which was about 1.5x the size of the SDF-1 at 1,770m) was only carrying 25,000 people.

Edited by Seto Kaiba

The way some Robotech fans describe me, you'd think I was one of those over-the-top villains from the old black and white sci-fi serials. The sort of guy who talks in an overly dramatic manner, busts out in maniacal laughter over the least little thing, wears a big black cloak, and lives in a doom fortress with a legion of witless minions.

As much as I'd like the doom fortress, I don't think I could afford the upkeep on the legion of witless minions with my salary.

I'm pretty sure it couldn't have been anything I said over on Robotech.com... after all, it's been over a month since I was banned over there. <_<

I always pictured you with a monocle and a pencil mustache maniacally wringing your hands every time you log on to RT.com or MW.

I always pictured you with a monocle and a pencil mustache maniacally wringing your hands every time you log on to RT.com or MW.

Ah, I see... if you'll excuse me, I'm off to go tie a young lady to the railroad tracks. :lol:

I just wanna add one more thing about the "boo hoo you're mean to Robotech fans" vein and then I actually have to go do some work (who would have thunk it!)...

Namely this:

How many times have I opened a Macross 7 thread here on Macrossworld with tons of people, and not just "regular" fans like me, but mods, complaining and accusing that Macross 7 sucks, is gay, is stupid, the concept is terrible, the villains are childish, Bassara is a hippie idiot, etc etc etc?

How many times have I opened a thread of the "who do you love most?" type and found myself to be almost alone in loving Ranka, Bassara and other Macross characters that everyone else hates?

But have I EVER expressed the opinion that people were being rude to "Ranka fans" or "Bassara fans" ? :)

No.

Because people are just expressing their opinions - and MW is great because everyone says what they want.

The only thing that is a bannable offense is if you show sexually explicit content, swear at peoplel, get into partisan political or religious debates or bring up Robotech :p

Pete

just kidding on that last one - by the way...

Clearly the Captain is a refugee from a Robotech site - after all - he takes too much far too seriously - as if they kind of conditioned people over there to be on edge about everything because thoughts could get you banned :)

Anyways - welcome to MW and hope you stay with us!

I feel like I'm "Good Cop" to Seto's "Bad Cop," but oh well... :p

I was just going to go my own way when I saw this part and had to respond.

I don't really think that's very creative...at least, not more creative than making the shows in the first place.

So if I take the old Battlestar Galactica, and change some of the dialogue so that I can graft Start Trek the Next Generation on to it as a "30 years later" continuation (Picard gets renamed "Apollo" and Riker becomes "Boxey"), I'm very creative? KA-CHING! CHECK PLEASE!

2) "Shamelessly pilfered for reuse"? You do realize, that as a continuation of the Robotech story, it would by necessity make use of that which came before it. TNG built on TOS Trek and it's films. DS9 built on both TOS and TNG, and Voyager built on all of the above. We're they "shamelessly pilfering? Were they "fanwank"?

Over and done...

I think you're looking at it the wrong way. Star Trek is an ORIGINAL creation. And the continuations were done with the involvement of people who worked on the original show. Robotech isn't a sequel to Macross, it's not even really an adaptation. It takes the Macross story and animation and turns it into something...different. Of course, whether or not "different" is "better" is a matter of opinion. Most of us here agree that "different" in this case is NOT "better," or else we wouldn't be here.

As >EXO< said, some of us are friends with Robotech fans, but we can still bash Robotech just as they still bash Macross. We can all still get along, despite our differing opinions about an old cartoon. I hated the Transformers movie, some of my friends loved it. I'll trash it, they'll defend it. It's no big deal.

As for your specific question...the first time I ever heard any debate about the length of the Macross, it was from J.T.'s podcast. I don't think that debate exists among Macross fans, since all documentation lists it as being 1,200 meters long. So that's our deifnitive answer, and if you want more discussion about that, you won't find it here. Just like you won't find any debate about the devleopment of the VF-1 and the VF-0 in any Robotech forum...because the VF-0 doesn't exist in Robotech.

Dag. Class got cancelled so I'm stuck sitting in a cafe and while the waitress is cute, she's only interested in serving me coffe :(

So...I got an hour...back to MW :)

re: the length of the SDF-1...

I'll admit that this is kind of a comedy moment. It's like coming into a bar and doing everything possible to try to pick a fight and then, when you have everybody's attention you're like

"So - where's the toilet?" :)

But whatever - this thread DOES provide infinite amusement :)

But yeah - Captain - stay for the tuna. Don't be turned off by having everybody against you and saying bad things about Robotech. Try to understand two things:

1) People actually have authentic reasons that are documented in pages and pages of posts as to why they prefer Macross. In fact - here's one reason that I wonder whether you've even considered: lots of people here HATE dubs. Even if they kept the dialogue the same and made a perfect translation into english, keeping the plot the same - I'd STILL prefer to watch it in Japanese with subtitles because to me, it's just better. I like watching foriegn films in the original language, as they were meant to be seen, and relying on subtitles. Of course, Robotech isn't just a straight dub - it's a complete re-doing that ruins the original story.

2) Some people here were personally hurt by HG's "cease and decist" orders - like Kevin. It's not nice dedicating your self to an anime and getting into legal trouble for it. It totally sucks - so there are a lot of personal emotions going around.

For better or for worse - THIS is the legacy HG has crafted for itself - and Robotech fans who try to pretend that they're just enjoying their show without addressing this problem are doing a disservice to themselves.

For all the times I defend Yamato, for example, I do agree that Macross fans would be brain dead sheep if they just gobbled up EVERYTHING Yamato had to offer - broken arms, exploding shoulders, cracking hips etc al - without making a peep.

Anyways...

still waiting for the explanation of how it was "genius creativity" when Dolza says "Protoculture!" when Lisa and Rick kiss :)

Pete

That said, Seto, I have to challenge your assertion that the thread is not (or at least cannot be taken) as being disrespectful to Robotech and it's fandom. You only have to go to the current page (55, IIRC) and you have Robotech being compared to the Human Papaloma Virus. In one of the early posts, criticism of Tommy, et al was made that they hired "Robotech fanboys" to write Shadow Chronicles. Other examples could be cited...they aren't hard to find.

someone doesn't have a sense of humor :|

I watched the "making of" viginette on the SC dvd, and I didn't see "lies and manipulation", I saw producers, writers, a composer, et al, who loved their craft and loved their project and wanted to make it the best it could be. They were excited about the project, and it showed. And the end result I thought was a fine addition to the Robotech Saga.
Really? Well of course they think it's the greatest thing ever! Just because they are proud of their work does not mean it's good. Though I find it hard to believe that despite loving TSC, they still managed to churn out a half-assed movie. The story made absolutely no sense either.. and dear lord I've actually seen the script for shadow rising and it's so BAD I question the yunes ability to tell any kind of story at all.

It isn't my position that you have to like Robotech. If you prefer the original anime serieses, great. But consider how a Robotech fan, coming across this page by accident, would feel after reading the sorts of posts presented. I came here because I was unhappy with the bredth and depth of conversation to be had over at Robotech.com and Robotechx.com. I asked for advice on another board and was told I might try here, with the caveat that I would have to put up with a certain amount of bad attitude towards Robotech.
If they offended then that's their problem. Robotech is not perfect or flawless and there are those who hate it just as there are those who love it. I'm a robotech fan but the bashing doesn't bother me, I still like it.

I would imagine if I asked a Robotech question (NOT rights related) in any other forum here, I'd not like the responses I'd get, based on what I've seen so far.
Yeah, it is highly advised that you don't. This is the only thread that will tolerate robotech, and to post about it elsewhere would get you in trouble.

Speaking not as just a Robotech fan, but as a fan in general, I have to say that the current apparent tone and attidue don't do credit to Marcross fandom or anime fandom in general. It's like a Trek fan dissing a newbie fan because their introduction to Trek was "Enterprise" (or God forbid, JJ's movie).

A better approach I think would be: "Hey, if that's what you like, more power to you. Discuss away. But if you thought Robotech was good, have you ever seen the original Macross from Japan? I think it's even BETTER..." You catch more flies with honey than vinegar, as the saying goes.

But that just takes the fun out of hating robotech! No in all honesty they don't care if people like it, they just don't appreciate robotech fans being obnoxious. Those are the types of fans that get made fun of.

Don't they all? It's love sweet love.... then I again I feel for seto

he's got a long list of people after him, and all of them are robotech fans!

Edited by HappyPenguins

Don't they all? It's love sweet love.... then I again I feel for seto

he's got a long list of people after him, and all of them are robotech fans!

And that's why I'm so jealous of Seto. I'm obnoxious too! I hate Robotech, and I'm a Macross Purist and I keep bashing Robotech and HG and nobody sends ME hate mail.

But I figured out why.

It's because Seto actually KNOWS what he's talking about.

People can't bring themselves to hate me because most of what I say is just coming out of my ass.

But Seto actually does real work to get knowledge - and knowledge always makes people mad.

Pete

And that's why I'm so jealous of Seto. I'm obnoxious too! I hate Robotech, and I'm a Macross Purist and I keep bashing Robotech and HG and nobody sends ME hate mail.

But I figured out why.

People can't bring themselves to hate me because most of what I say is just coming out of my ass.

But Seto actually does real work to get knowledge - and knowledge always makes people mad.

Pete

Indeed, usually because that knowledge is nothing but the truth, and people who live in fantasy worlds HATE hearing the truth, because it rains on their land of sunshine and rainbows!

Robotech fans seem to lack the ability to look at these shows in their original context. If you watch all three shows in their original format, Robotech doesn't seem so special anymore. Also I have watch the related series like Orguss, Dorvack, and a little of Galvion and all three feel pretty similar.

Hey Gubaba, if you want to make a better analogy to what Robotech did think about what would have happened if someone tried to combine Zeta Gundam, L-Gaim, and Layzner. They could totally turn Camille into Eiji right?

Hey Gubaba, if you want to make a better analogy to what Robotech did think about what would have happened if someone tried to combine Zeta Gundam, L-Gaim, and Layzner. They could totally turn Camille into Eiji right?

FUND IT. You'll be hailed as a genius visionary! :lol:

But I figured out why.

Pete

Well, yes, it's that...but there's also the fact that Seto posts on Robotech forums, which you don't. Join RT.com and RTX.com, post often, and you'll get just as wide a fanbase as Seto has, and you too can have a secret lair built inside a volcano, henchmen, a beautiful-but-evil girlfriend, and a stupid sidekick who you have to explain your plans to.

Multi-response time!!!!

A problem that could easily have been remedied if we'd copied Bri's summary into the first post of this thread... I still don't understand why we didn't,...

Ummm...Have you looked at the first post.

and why it hasn't been updated with the additional sources we've found since then.

And Bri is always welcomed to edit it and PM his updated version back to me or any mod so that we can update that post.

Seto, how many times have I told you to stop bringing your "friends" over here? :p

Robotech fans seem to lack the ability to look at these shows in their original context. If you watch all three shows in their original format, Robotech doesn't seem so special anymore.

It's called "bursting the bubble". It cuts deep.

Join RT.com and RTX.com, post often, and you'll get just as wide a fanbase as Seto has, and you too can have a secret lair built inside a volcano, henchmen, a beautiful-but-evil girlfriend, and a stupid sidekick who you have to explain your plans to.

That's way too expensive. Obviously you haven't seen our recently cut operating budget. 49% (down from 51%) goes to Graham. Can we just give VFTF1 Dai-Shocker?

An adaptation also shows respect to the original show, something that HG and even Carl Macek has shown little of. They've always tried to upstage it through various means. Just look at what everything they put Minmay through by the end of the novels. They only have as much respect in it as they can find a way to profit and reinvest in Robotech, on their terms.

I still have the (as yet unspoken) question that started me on this hunt to begin with. It's neither and both a Robotech AND a Macross question, as it involves the SAME footage of the object in question, namely the SDF-1.

Dude quit wasting your time beating a dead horse deader than it already happened to be when you found it. Nothing you say is going to change anyone's mind here.

You've done nothing but post in this particular thread to defend RT and associated entities when there's a plethora of knowledge and talent to be had on the rest of the board. If you persist then the only viable conclusion to be drawn is that you came here with the express purpose of waging a holy crusade for RT. If that is the case, please leave.

There are many RT fans on this board who partake of the rest of MW outside of this thread and are perfectly happy. Hell there are RT fans who partake in this thread and are perfectly happy. You will be too when you just accept that this is first and foremost a private board devoted to Macross and thus is bound to have many Macross fans who will be critical of anything and/or anyone that detracts from Macross. If you can't overlook that then also please leave.

dr vinnie

vinne, while I do agree that it's a waste of time to debate the merits of Robotech on MacrossWorld, this thread was specifically created for "HG and Robotech Debates," so Capt Christopher Donovan is in the right place. If he wanted to discuss Robotech on other portions of the site, well that would be another story.

Robotech has been royally mismanaged. There is no way to say otherwise. The same "creativity" that gave the fans the original trilogy also gave you "Robotech The Movie" , a mismatch of wonky Macross animation and....Megazone 23... Imagine what would have happened if they used Megazone 23 episode 2.... sex sure isn't what Robotech was remembered for, right?

vinne, while I do agree that it's a waste of time to debate the merits of Robotech on MacrossWorld, this thread was specifically created for "HG and Robotech Debates," so Capt Christopher Donovan is in the right place. If he wanted to discuss Robotech on other portions of the site, well that would be another story.

True true.

It just seems like they should read the threads before they start arguing to save us time and save them face.

MW members don't really care if you're an RT fan as long as you don't come here and complain about being one. Most of the time people come here and start a thread. Like "hey guys, grew up on robotech and I'm here to find out. More about..." and you'll see members with their welcomes and help. Except Roy. He hates noobs. Lol.

I was not suggesting that he should go discuss RT elsewhere on the boards, but rather to just drop discussing RT totally (that is, the dead horse) and go participate elsewhere on the boards. For instance he wanted to discuss the size of the SDF-1. That would be better facilitated in another thread than this one regardless if he is referring to RT or Macross. There are many elements to discuss that are immaterial as to whether you're a fan of RT or Macross or both.

I merely implied that his continued exclusive participation in this thread would be an indicator that he is here only to defend RT as opposed to contributing to the general community.

I was also curious, to be banned over at RT.com, does MEMo and Mav have the power to ban arbitrarily or do they have to consult the admins first? I know that here at MW, a banning generally requires a consensus among the mods and approval of the admins (or at least it used to). It would seem like the mods at RT.com should have some form of oversight by the admins regarding banning.

dr vinnie

True true.

It just seems like they should read the threads before they start arguing to save us time and save them face.

I would say, in the time it took us arguing with the user, that time could have been spent reading the thread and other threads to get a feel of the place, but then again who am I to judge ADHD in people these days.

Except Roy. He hates noobs. Lol.

Roy hates everything except his crayons. :rolleyes:

Robotech has been royally mismanaged. There is no way to say otherwise. The same "creativity" that gave the fans the original trilogy also gave you "Robotech The Movie" , a mismatch of wonky Macross animation and....Megazone 23... Imagine what would have happened if they used Megazone 23 episode 2.... sex sure isn't what Robotech was remembered for, right?

Okay, Robotech The Movie was made from Megazone 23 Part 1 and Southern Cross. There is zero Macross in Robotech the Movie. Megazone 23 Part 1 DOES have a sex scene, they just cut most of it out. You still see them in bed together under the covers in the afterglow.

Imagine if you actually knew what you were talking about. But hey, knowing what you're talking about isn't what Macross World users are remembered for, right? :p

Edited by Ginrai

Are you crazy? Whats the point of talking about what you know about when some one will just crush you under their nerd boots. The safest solution is to always talk about what you dont know about,because that just makes you sound like a jerk, and not a noob.

Case in point: MEMO

Edited by Funkenstein

Ummm...Have you looked at the first post.

And Bri is always welcomed to edit it and PM his updated version back to me or any mod so that we can update that post.

The summary was written by TheLoneWolf, I merely looked up some info regarding the trademarks and ownership rights outside of Japan. As he is the original writer, it's only fair that edits should go via him. I will try to find some time this weekend to look through the current thread (the joy) to collect the newer info so we can update the text, links and news on the lawsuit and rights.

Edited by Bri

And we have the right to bash robotech too. In fact, I'm happy that Chris is here with us debating about robotech cause more robotech discussions = more robotech bashing and more robotech bashing = easier for me to control my blood pressure. See guys, I found a purpose to robotech after all these years. B))