HG and Robotech Debates

IDk, Robotechfanplus' page even says RT.com Betrayed him.

But if that guy is serious then that's just painful

I think it's classic bored-guy-becomes-troll behavior. He created a persona, went off the deep end with "HG owns all of Robotech" pronouncements, and went off the deep end trying to shoehorn other shows into Robotech (while claiming the Pokemon and Space Gandam V were Macross shows); then he joined RT.com and made a series of outrageously offensive comments and essentially forced them to ban him, and which point he says they betrayed him and now he's become a Gundam fan instead.

It was all theatre. Pure theatre.

I think it's classic bored-guy-becomes-troll behavior. He created a persona, went off the deep end with "HG owns all of Robotech" pronouncements, and went off the deep end trying to shoehorn other shows into Robotech (while claiming the Pokemon and Space Gandam V were Macross shows); then he joined RT.com and made a series of outrageously offensive comments and essentially forced them to ban him, and which point he says they betrayed him and now he's become a Gundam fan instead.

Pokemon=Macross? :blink:

How would that work out.

He may be on to something Gundam does need a reboot.... J.J. Abrams Style!! IMO

what series did he rip that one from?

I was actually referring to what he decided to call it.

actually, now that I think about it, I don't consider Macross II to be "macross" either. :p

Edited by eugimon

Slight misunderstanding on your part... they can use the designs from that series for merchandise only... they can't use those designs in new animated or live-action motion pictures.

http://macrossmovie.com/info.php?id=faqs

= =

I wish R/HG has none copyrights of SDF:M and DYRL.

no toy, no cartoon, no comics, nothing!!!!!!!!!!!!

SK's Macross is ONLY PURE Macross!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by kresphy

http://macrossmovie.com/info.php?id=faqs

= =

I wish R/HG has none copyrights of SDF:M and DYRL.

no toy, no cartoon, no comics, nothing!!!!!!!!!!!!

SK's Macross is ONLY PURE Macross!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, that link doesn't give useful information at all... it says nothing we don't already know... that the court rulings have not changed the disposition of the rights in such a way that Harmony Gold has lost the ability to use the footage for their "Macross Saga" or to produce toys based on it.

Under the law, the copyright on Robotech only covers those parts of Robotech which did not exist in the original work... so basically, only the altered story.

The only way MEMO's absurd claims will ever become correct will be if the fundamental operating principles of copyright law are changed dramatically.

Edited by Seto Kaiba

R's fans make Robotech Genesis

SK's SDF-01......

T T

http://www.united-earth-group.com/en/downloads

Robotech Genesis - Teaser Trailer - Aug 2009 (HD) 64MB

Eh, that's just a fan-film that'll never be completed. It's not like it's a sanctioned work of Harmony Gold's.

In other news, it looks like the incredibly rude and cowardly man-children of Robotech Factor, a spanish-speaking Robotech fansite, have also been following the legal debate on Robotech.com, and are determinedly badmouthing those of us who are arguing the facts.

http://www.robotechfactor.com.ar/foro/viewtopic.php?t=465

I'm going to have to have words with WDKaiserV1 next time I see him...

spanish...

= =

I do not care R's fans opinion.

Because Macross is Sk's Macross now!

He can give us more new series!

MF BD's sales is NO.2 of TVA in Japan(NO.1 is K-ON), MF is SK's big success!!!!

http://animeanime.jp/news/archives/2009/08/bd33000f.html

We will wait Macross 30th anniversary new series!

How about R???

R's Shadow Rising was announced in 2007, how about it now???

MF Movie will be release on November 21, 2009, how about R Movie???

R Only has old fans from 1985.

NO new fans = NO money = NO new series = long long long... wait~~

^^

Edited by kresphy

You guys do know that Robotechfanplus is back to trolling Macross videos on Youtube. Now he/she is using a new account named Robotechtehbest. Like they say, old habit is hard to break. Oh well, i guess Jamesbond77 and 009FGH and several other Macross fans on Youtube will be dealing with this guy.

= =

I do not care R's fans opinion.

Shadow Rising was announced in 2007, how about it now???

^^

I was forwarded the link just a little while ago, and thought it was both amusing and highly illustrative of exactly what's wrong with the Robotech franchise these days. Thanks to the years of having nothing worth speaking about, and their sole, lackluster sequel, the only serious Robotech fans left are the fanatics who can't comprehend why anyone would criticize Robotech.

Shadow Rising is still in production limbo, as far as I can tell. Kevin McKeever said it was on hiatus, and then came out and tried to quell the resulting brouhaha by saying that he meant they were working on other parts of it, not that it was on hold. No release date has been announced, vague or otherwise.

In other news, it looks like the incredibly rude and cowardly man-children of Robotech Factor, a spanish-speaking Robotech fansite, have also been following the legal debate on Robotech.com, and are determinedly badmouthing those of us who are arguing the facts.

What is it supposed to accomplish? It's not like forum posts and videos are going to help HG make a TV show or anything. It just makes them and the show they idolize look worse than it already is. I thought that's what really matters these days; the company's ability to deliver, not some fans having hissy fits about what is almost close to reality (and I've seen A LOT of hissy fits surrounding just Robotech).

Cry me a river.

EDIT - Forget it, I remember that this is the Internet. lol

Edited by Einherjar

What is it supposed to accomplish? It's not like forum posts and videos are going to help HG make a TV show or anything. It just makes them and the show they idolize look worse than it already is. I thought that's what really matters these days; the company's ability to deliver, not some fans having hissy fits about what is almost close to reality (and I've seen A LOT of hissy fits surrounding just Robotech).

Cry me a river.

EDIT - Forget it, I remember that this is the Internet. lol

The saddest part about that forum is that according to them (the members and mods), anything done by Tommy Yune doesn't deserve to be part of the Robotech canon because Macek was not involved in the production. Heck, they consider all the comics published back in the 80s and 90s as the true story for Robotech.

They also claim that Macek is the only one who should be making Robotech sequels :wacko:

...How about R???

R's Shadow Rising was announced in 2007, how about it now???

Boy...someone needs to get kresphy up to date.....All this stuff was soooooo page 1 of this thread.

You guys do know that Robotechfanplus is back to trolling Macross videos on Youtube. Now he/she is using a new account named Robotechtehbest. Like they say, old habit is hard to break. Oh well, i guess Jamesbond77 and 009FGH and several other Macross fans on Youtube will be dealing with this guy.

Meh. That's Youtube's problem.

They also claim that Macek is the only one who should be making Robotech sequels :wacko:

Are these the same people that want to include more Macross and possibly Orguss into Robotech mostly because of (mecha) envy? :blink:

EDIT - I thought that was about people on rt.com, but I guess it can apply to the R factor too.

Edited by Einherjar

Eh, that's just a fan-film that'll never be completed. It's not like it's a sanctioned work of Harmony Gold's.

wow... just wow... :blink:

R's fans make Robotech Genesis

SK's SDF-01......

T T

http://www.united-earth-group.com/en/downloads

Robotech Genesis - Teaser Trailer - Aug 2009 (HD) 64MB

I thought this thing was dead. Also, GN particles much?

well the whole issue behind that is just ridiculous as hell. He's pissed off because you told him to stop attacking waters 7 (this is exactly what he told me in IM) so now because you're defending waters and getting on his case, he thinks you're just as bad as the rest of those he constantly argues with.

I honestly don't understand what that's all about, I don't see a point in defending Robotech. Not everyone shares the same views, so instead of acting like immature children, why don't they just ignore trolls and respect the opinions of others?

He honestly has no reason to bash you, you've done nothing but tell him to knock his crap off. I've also done the same which is why he doesn't post in that thread anymore.

But yeah, just like you I'm going to have a talk with him too hopefully he'll quit being stubborn and listen to me. :wacko:

also pizza the hutt is still trolling RT.com hiding behind MEMO and the other mods who refuse to ban him.

this post taken from the legal debate thread

Duh Penguins,

You are one of the bigger trolls here along with Seto,Waters7 and those who support him,,because you troll Robotech.com after making a new web site and yet dwell here and you hate Harmony Gold and made a forum "against Harmony Gold" and yet you dwell here.If there is any trolling going on besides Seto and others,it is you also,,otherwise you would have made your anti-robotech site for Robotech and stay there.And you call your self a Robotech fan and you claimed you have not watched it in over 4 years.Please give us a break! your farse is as bad as Seto's and his fanboys

so anyone who doesn't support HG is anti-robotech? mmk, nice logic there.

he also still insists our site is Anti-RT :lol:

what are we the KKK to him? sheesh

Edited by HappyPenguins

"Yer either with us, or with the terrorists!"

No, wait.

Taksraven

well the whole issue behind that is just ridiculous as hell. He's pissed off because you told him to stop attacking waters 7 (this is exactly what he told me in IM) so now because you're defending waters and getting on his case, he thinks you're just as bad as the rest of those he constantly argues with.

I honestly don't understand what that's all about, I don't see a point in defending Robotech. Not everyone shares the same views, so instead of acting like immature children, why don't they just ignore trolls and respect the opinions of others?

He honestly has no reason to bash you, you've done nothing but tell him to knock his crap off. I've also done the same which is why he doesn't post in that thread anymore.

But yeah, just like you I'm going to have a talk with him too hopefully he'll quit being stubborn and listen to me. :wacko:

also pizza the hutt is still trolling RT.com hiding behind MEMO and the other mods who refuse to ban him.

this post taken from the legal debate thread

what are we the KKK to him? sheesh

I haven't checked RT.com for a few days now, and I'm not likely to anytime soon; but if the picture you paint here is accurate, it sounds like Memo is just allowing anyone to agree with him to say whatever they want, regardless of the rules. I wouldn't be surprised if someone gets a warning eventually for insulting Pizza, instead of the other way 'round. But still...Memo's the mod. He'll conduct his job however he sees fit. If that includes letting people fly off the handle (and long as they agree with him), there's not much anybody can do about it.

And what happens over there (and at Robotech Factor) has no bearing on what happens over here.

I've said this before, and I mean no harm, nor do I want to cause offense, but I dislike the way this site is sometimes used by Robotech fans as a substitute RT.com. This is first and foremost a MACROSS site, and I'm puzzled by how many people there are here who never have anything to say about Macross.

Negative stuff about RT tends to get a sympathetic hearing here (although not as much as it USED to), but it's not a place for proxy battles between RT.com members.

I've said many times that I think Seto's a great guy, and he definitely CONTRIBUTES to Macross fandom in a very helpful way, but the whole "Look at what they're saying about me at RT.com! Aren't they crazy?" line is getting a little old. I'd like to think that most of us don't really care what happens over there, or what people at Robotech Factor say about the RT.com posters.

Robotech discussion surely has its place here, but Macross World is not simply an extension of Robotech fandom, and it bothers me that some people seem to want to turn it into that.

I've said many times that I think Seto's a great guy, and he definitely CONTRIBUTES to Macross fandom in a very helpful way, but the whole "Look at what they're saying about me at RT.com! Aren't they crazy?" line is getting a little old. I'd like to think that most of us don't really care what happens over there, or what people at Robotech Factor say about the RT.com posters.

Robotech discussion surely has its place here, but Macross World is not simply an extension of Robotech fandom, and it bothers me that some people seem to want to turn it into that.

They're like flies heading into the light, they just have to do it. :rolleyes: They're trolling Seto cuz they know he'll respond to them. And in all those threads you guys have posted, they're just going to continue it to troll for people like Seto because they can get away with it. And guys like Seto will just keep falling for it. It ain't our problem here. It's Youtube's, RobotechX.com's, RobotechFactor.com's and RT.com's problem. The fact that they keep posting that stuff here makes them sound like gossiping women ("Oh, do you know what she said...").

The saddest part about that forum is that according to them (the members and mods), anything done by Tommy Yune doesn't deserve to be part of the Robotech canon because Macek was not involved in the production. Heck, they consider all the comics published back in the 80s and 90s as the true story for Robotech.

Why I am not surprised ? :rolleyes: These robotech fanboys are so in love with their god (aka brainless thief) called carl macek after all. I bet these fanboys are going to construct at harmony gold headquarter a giant gold statue of macek in order to worship him like "ghostless dolls" the moment he dies. :lol:

They're like flies heading into the light, they just have to do it. :rolleyes: They're trolling Seto cuz they know he'll respond to them. And in all those threads you guys have posted, they're just going to continue it to troll for people like Seto because they can get away with it. And guys like Seto will just keep falling for it. It ain't our problem here. It's Youtube's, RobotechX.com's, RobotechFactor.com's and RT.com's problem. The fact that they keep posting that stuff here makes them sound like gossiping women ("Oh, do you know what she said...").

But no one really wins in that kind of situation; pro-fans, anti-fans, HG, anyone. They're totally comfortable with repeating the cycle adding every new unless piece of information or something extremely irrelevant, but somehow connected in their minds, to Robotech to rant and bait others about.

They're like flies heading into the light, they just have to do it. :rolleyes: They're trolling Seto cuz they know he'll respond to them. And in all those threads you guys have posted, they're just going to continue it to troll for people like Seto because they can get away with it. And guys like Seto will just keep falling for it. It ain't our problem here. It's Youtube's, RobotechX.com's, RobotechFactor.com's and RT.com's problem.

It's quite sad, really... the people who, these days, are routinely being attacked as "not real fans" or "Macross purist trolls" are often the people who've done the MOST for the Robotech fandom. I've done just as much for the fans of Robotech as I have for the fans of Macross over the years, answering questions, helping people with websites, helping people find rare collectibles... but the Robotech fanbase has been so thoroughly neglected and mistreated by Harmony Gold that most of the rational, reasonable fans have been driven away. More than anything else, this is a study in the long, slow death of a franchise.

Harmony Gold's hamhandedness in handling Robotech kept the franchise from producing anything original or of quality for DECADES. That, plus the general attitude of many American animation enthusiasts towards Robotech (condemnation as "anime crap") and the general attitude of many anime enthusiasts who started on newer and more sophisticated fare (condemnation as a poorly-executed rewrite) has led the fanbase having a bizarre sort of persecution complex. Even more perverse is the apparent desire of franchise staff at Harmony Gold (like Kevin McKeever) to keep the hostility the Robotech die-hards feel towards Macross as strong as possible. Why? We can only guess... but the logical conclusion would be that they want to keep their meal ticket from jumping ship to another franchise by any means necessary, even if it means maintaining a strawman enemy for them to rail against. Just look at how they stir up their fans at panels in that video MEMO posted... gabbing about how Robotech had been fansubbed in Japan as though it were a news report about how they were winning "The War on Macross".

But no one really wins in that kind of situation; pro-fans, anti-fans, HG, anyone. They're totally comfortable with repeating the cycle adding every new unless piece of information or something extremely irrelevant, but somehow connected in their minds, to Robotech to rant and bait others about.

Actually, I'd say it's a matter of who gets screwed over the least, really...

As is so often the case, it's the Robotech fans who are getting it in the shorts. Yeah, we Macross fans have to pay a bit extra for our fix, and watch our stuff in fansubs, but we at least get something of quality every few years. All they get is a feeble squirt of low-quality swill every decade or so, and the fanworks people come up with... but they're driving the creators of the fanworks away too.

Speaking of being totally comfortable with adding useless and irrelevant information to Robotech, I got to reading through some of the old Robotech comics when a friend of mine posed me a question about them (he's new to anime, just cutting his teeth on Full Metal Panic!) since he'd heard about Robotech on 4chan. So we dug them out of the bin I keep them in and flipped thru a bunch of them. I must confess, I had forgotten just how often the authors tried to inject originality by stealing characters, mecha, and often whole stories from other books. There was a lot of tracing of DYRL VF-1 art, a lot of derivatives of the DYRL VF-1 flightsuit, and strangest of all... what appear to be cameos of a bunch of characters from Macross II: Lovers Again, Macross Plus, Independence Day, and Gundam in various books... the most blatant of which being Captain Higgins from Macross Plus.

Edited by Seto Kaiba

It's quite sad, really... the people who, these days, are routinely being attacked as "not real fans" or "Macross purist trolls" are often the people who've done the MOST for the Robotech fandom. I've done just as much for the fans of Robotech as I have for the fans of Macross over the years, answering questions, helping people with websites, helping people find rare collectibles... but the Robotech fanbase has been so thoroughly neglected and mistreated by Harmony Gold that most of the rational, reasonable fans have been driven away. More than anything else, this is a study in the long, slow death of a franchise.

Harmony Gold's hamhandedness in handling Robotech kept the franchise from producing anything original or of quality for DECADES. That, plus the general attitude of many American animation enthusiasts towards Robotech (condemnation as "anime crap") and the general attitude of many anime enthusiasts who started on newer and more sophisticated fare (condemnation as a poorly-executed rewrite) has led the fanbase having a bizarre sort of persecution complex. Even more perverse is the apparent desire of franchise staff at Harmony Gold (like Kevin McKeever) to keep the hostility the Robotech die-hards feel towards Macross as strong as possible. Why? We can only guess... but the logical conclusion would be that they want to keep their meal ticket from jumping ship to another franchise by any means necessary, even if it means maintaining a strawman enemy for them to rail against. Just look at how they stir up their fans at panels in that video MEMO posted... gabbing about how Robotech had been fansubbed in Japan as though it were a news report about how they were winning "The War on Macross".

I have a long-held theory that ANY science-fiction that shows up on American television will ALWAYS have a hardcore fanbase, even if that fanbase only comprises a hundred or so people. As such, I don't think Robotech will ever really be dead. But, as you say, it occupies a weird liminal space...not quite an American sci-fi show, not quite an anime, harder-edged and closer to the original than, say, "Battle of the Planets," but less so than pretty much everything that came after it.

I would, however, dispute your assertion that the reasonable (and productive) fans were "driven away." Most of them simply left, of their own accord, thanks to no forward movement on the part of the franchise, or dissatisfaction with Shadow Chronicles. Now, there are definitely those rabid fans who are TRYING to drive people away, either through insults or just plain acting crazy. If the verious websites that support Robotech don't want to rein those people in, that's their business. More and more reasonable fans will either forsake the franchise or else turn it into a private hobby. Life will go on.

Arguing with the rabid fans is pointless. If they come here (as they have before), they'll be dealt with; either they'll calm down, or they'll leave, or they'll be banned. If RT.com doesn't want to do the same, then it will become an irrelevant ghost town of a forum.

if you think RT.com is worth saving, go for it. But since the rabid fans are the ones in charge, I don't think you'll end up being very successful.

You have your own Macross II site, don't you? Why not devote a large amount of space on it to Robotech as well? I think you'll find that a lot of the reasonable fans, even the ones who have been silent for a long time, will join up. And since those fans are generally more productive, your site will have more to offer than the official site. And THAT will be a real boon to Robotech fandom.

The thing is, by bothering to argue with these Robotech die-hards, both here and in other forums, are we giving the whole robotech thing oxygen and fuelling the fire. (I think that Azrael was making a similar point earlier) Maybe if we just ignored them and stopped debating with them, they would have little else to talk about other than speculate about how many decades they will have to wait for some new RT.

If we ignored them it would bug the crap out of them. We know we are generally correct about things so why get worked up about it?

Taksraven

The thing is, by bothering to argue with these Robotech die-hards, both here and in other forums, are we giving the whole robotech thing oxygen and fuelling the fire. (I think that Azrael was making a similar point earlier) Maybe if we just ignored them and stopped debating with them, they would have little else to talk about other than speculate about how many decades they will have to wait for some new RT.

If we ignored them it would bug the crap out of them. We know we are generally correct about things so why get worked up about it?

Taksraven

Well said.

As Seto said, a number of the RT fans have a big persecution complex. And since "persecution" apparently consists of anything less than adoration of all aspects of Robotech and Harmony Gold, if we just leave it all alone...where will they be?

To that end, I'm planning on waiting until there's ACTUAL Robotech news before I state any more OPINIONS ABOUT ROBOTECH OR ITS FANS on this thread. I'll probably still ofer ideas (and, y'kow, try to convince Seto to leave RT.com), but that's it. :)

if you think RT.com is worth saving, go for it. But since the rabid fans are the ones in charge, I don't think you'll end up being very successful.

You have your own Macross II site, don't you? Why not devote a large amount of space on it to Robotech as well? I think you'll find that a lot of the reasonable fans, even the ones who have been silent for a long time, will join up. And since those fans are generally more productive, your site will have more to offer than the official site. And THAT will be a real boon to Robotech fandom.

Actually... you hit on something I was thinking of doing.

The suggestion that I and the other knowledgeable, productive folks should give up trying to convince Tommy Yune to let us fix the Robotech.com Infopedia and devote our attention to a separate, comprehensive website for Robotech was originally tabled by chrisk a while back. It sort of took on a life of its own after talking to a bunch of people over on Robotech.com and RobotechX. A lot of fans seemed really interested in the idea of a site that gave fair coverage to things like the McKinney novels and old comics, instead of focusing almost exclusively on the animated features. Kinda gave up on the idea of revamping RobotechX, since MEMO came out in favor of trolling Macross fans... so we're thinking of either getting a separate site for it, or doing it as a subdomain of my current site.

Gotta find some writers who know more about Southern Cross and Mospeada tho, since my knowledge of both is limited.

To that end, I'm planning on waiting until there's ACTUAL Robotech news before I state any more OPINIONS ABOUT ROBOTECH OR ITS FANS on this thread. I'll probably still ofer ideas (and, y'kow, try to convince Seto to leave RT.com), but that's it. :)

Oh, don't worry... the rate of questions there has fallen off to practically zero, so I don't do much there anymore.

The suggestion that I and the other knowledgeable, productive folks should give up trying to convince Tommy Yune to let us fix the Robotech.com Infopedia and devote our attention to a separate, comprehensive website for Robotech was originally tabled by chrisk a while back.

I can't swear to it but I seem to remember rumblings of HG shutting down Robotech fan sites for various reasons. That was one of the reasons I dedicated my website to just the toys. If you're not in the HG inner circle you may find yourself facing unwarranted resistance.

I can't swear to it but I seem to remember rumblings of HG shutting down Robotech fan sites for various reasons. That was one of the reasons I dedicated my website to just the toys. If you're not in the HG inner circle you may find yourself facing unwarranted resistance.

Was this recent? Most of the RT fan sites I've seen that are no longer active look abandoned by the webmasters rather than shut down by HG.