Official Bandai 1/60 Scale DX Toy Thread Ver.6

Duke Togo

They said the poster is accounting for the shipping box difference? The poster is included inside the box inside the gigantor box, so I have a hard time believing that...

I was idly speculating with a wish list earlier, but I'm surprised there's no Tamashii exclusive/add-on for the Brera. The Fold Booster from the Gallia set would be perfect but the speaker pods not so much. VF-27 doesn't attach any missiles or anything, so a standing Brera fig and a Ghost V-9 (minor re-tool on the Luca Ghost, adding a cannon on the top with a new paint job) sounds like the best possibility. One would think Bandai has plans to re-use that nice Ghost mold, at least.

Is the Gallia set still available on the Tamashii site or was it limited time? Not so clear from the Google engrish I get with the translate tool.

I am totally pleased.

It has its fans and non-fans but I think it was a success all around.

That and the fact that this was the main plane I wanted from the show, and i'm cool. . . :lol:

Is the Gallia set still available on the Tamashii site or was it limited time? Not so clear from the Google engrish I get with the translate tool.

Yeah unless they reissue, which never happened since this Tamashii shop thing began.

A few shops still have it BTW:

http://www.anime-export.com/product/5043

http://www.angolz.com/home/productDetails....49&catId=32

Got mine yesterday! This thing is BEAUTIFUL!!!! Totally love it! I also have a crooked 101 on the right side v. Stab. No biggie thoug, seems to be a common issue. Didn't realize that the VF-27 was so small though.....if this truely is 1/60, to me it looks like it's closer to 1/72 with all the design similarities with the massive SV-51. When you look at this next to other 1/60 valks even newer designs like the YF-21 and VF-11 the just look soooo much more robust compaired to the Lucifer. It's a REAL shame that bandai blew it (IMO) with the DX VF-25's design. I'd get a redesigned VF-25 with the improvements that the VF-27 has ...... corrected nose cone, leg position and wing root locking in fighter, Gerwalk posability, and long landing gear.......in a heart beat. This is now one of my favorite valks. The only thing that worries me is the paint and markings comming off. Overall though, homerun Bandai!! :)

Chris

Are you listening, Yamato? This is how you fix things. I hope your design people and quality control department buy a case of them, take 'em all apart and take copious detailed notes, b/c this is a perfect Valkyrie toy

Heh, my view is a bit different, well more like 180 degrees from yours. I'm like "the Bandai VF-27 DX is overall a great toy and is close to approaching Yamato levels of awesomeness, but Bandai still need to take a few more lessons from Yamato before they get there".........LOL!

Graham

Ok.. so Im off today and got to know my Brera Custom.. Someone on this board said the VF-27 wasnt as posable as the VF-25.. So untrue.. dont be afraid to break this thing.. its real sturdy. I find a lot of mobility in the hips ...and the mid thigh swivel adds wonders to various stances. I wish I had a camera... and the great thing about it? It's tight.. nothing loose.. you can shake it in any mode and nothing will dislodge or wiggle. I think the crotch peg was lengthened so it wouldnt pop out so easily.. Best buy for 2010 (so far)

Its a great toy and puts the 25 to shame.

The gerwalk engineering still needs a lot of work.

Yamato's design for a valk's hips to feet are so simple

and perfect. Only othet gripe is the shiny plastic (I think

that will never change )

...and not so much a gripe but it seems small, but maybe it's

the true scale... I dunno.

Edited by Negotiator

Ditto what Graham said. But it is a very good toy for Bandai, it should have come with a stand for the price it retails for.

Battroid mode still leaves a lot to be desired, but fighter mode is gorgeous. I really wish they would redesign the hip waist area.

Heh, my view is a bit different, well more like 180 degrees from yours. I'm like "the Bandai VF-27 DX is overall a great toy and is close to approaching Yamato levels of awesomeness, but Bandai still need to take a few more lessons from Yamato before they get there".........LOL!

Graham

I don't know, I think that both companies could learn a few lessons from each other if they want to make a perfect toy. the biggest plus Yamatos have over this is the finish, the gloss surface looks nice but it shows dust and fingerprints like crazy and it actually makes it hard to hold.

that said, this toy blows away yamato's when it comes to how nice and tight the joints are. there isn't a single overly loose or overly tight joint on this thing. But even more than that the ratchet joints are so much better than Yamato's. Every Yamato I've ever had seams to have the little quirk that while the detentes on the ratchets hold, there's always a little play to them which lets the part sort of rattle around. There is no rattle to these joints at all THIS IS HOW A RATCHET JOINT SHOULD BE!

Also, as much as everyone complains about chiping paint. this has much better paint adhesion on metal than Yamato's do. Every single Yamato I've owned has had paint chip from the landing gear the first time I pulled them out of their bays. Yamato paint does NOT stick to metal so it's a good thing they use almost none of it. so far I've got now paint chips on the VF-27's metal, and only small spot where paint has rubbed from the plastic (no worse than any Yamato I've owned.)

There are a lot of features and gimmicks that Yamato does that this could use (painted cockpit, articulated hands...) but it just so solid and fun that it's already become my new favorite valk along with my VF-11 (and I didn't need to take apart the VF-27 right out of the box :p .)

Edited by anime52k8

I agree, Yamato fine detail, texture, paint and details added to Bandai's sturdiness, ratcheted joints and solid construction would make for the ueber-valk.

Yeah Graham---are you going to post a full-on review "like the old days"?

Depends, do you want me to get working on getting the replacement shoulder hinges packed up and sent out, or would you rather I do a review of the VF-27. Priorities, priorities, priorities!

Graham

Since I already have a VF-27 and have so far avoided the v2 1/60 VF-1, I say I'd be more entertained with the VF-27 review. :) Actually, I'd prefer you do a VF-11C review first.

Edited by Uxi

First off.....Come on better than Yamato?!?! I agree that it's a great toy but better than the VF-1 1/60s (broken shoulder aside) VF-11 or VF-22's? I'm not saying recent Yamatoes are better but Bandai's VF-27 DX while in the same league is in no way better. Sure there is more metal but diecast and some good attention to detail does not make them better toys.

Oh and paint.....uhm......I have to totally disagree with anyone who thinks Yamato does not do a good paint job. I have very little problem with paint scratches on my Yamato Valks. Nothing even close to as bad as what I have gotten with Bandai's Frontier offerings or as pissed as I am about the VF-27's nose!

Now My initial impressions:

Shipping with AmiAmi

- 1 minor and 1 major complaints here.

- They declared the value of the toy on the box so I had to pay $20 duty at the post office.....not a big deal as that is the legal way to do it but....hint, hint, nudge, nudge if you do what Overdrive/HobbyLink/Hobby Search does (ie. just list as a diecast toy) I more than 3/4 of the time get away with not paying duty. Less duty I pay the more I have to spend on $100+ toys! Besides the 40 bucks shipping is enough of a crime to my hard earned cash as it is.

- Now my biggest grip. HOLY HELL the shipping package on this was beyond wasteful. I am not a small man and this box seems huge to even me and it took up the entire front passenger seat of my truck! The last time I got a box that large was when I ordered THREE valks from Hobbylink. The box was 2-3 times the size of the toy box's box. The toy box was packaged in a brown box with a poster insert. If you had just sent me the smaller cardboard box things would have been fine. How much could they/us have saved on shipping! You could have fit 6 or 7 of the VF-27 product boxes in that box.

Now the VF-27. This is a good toy leaps and bounds better than the VF-25. Here are my initial impressions.

The Good.

- My God the box for this is small! After that dreadful behemoth of a box it shipped in I thought they had accidentally sent me the model kit! The box is just the right size for the toy and EVERY toy manufacturer could learn a lesson from how well Bandai packaged this product.

- Detailed landing gear. Plated too so I don't have to worry about scratching the paint every time I try to dig them out.

- Nice sculpts on the pilots. Almost as good or as good as what you would get from Yamato here.

- Ankle joints are just awesome. That plastic panel that slides with the metal ankle joints is just pure goodness. Articulation is ok but the better aesthetics of the ankle make up for this.

- Arms have nice articulation and are leaps and bound better than the VF-25. Wrists are the usual fare from Bandai though, nice but not any better than the VF-25.

- Folding mechanism for the Wings.....beautiful. No flop. That's pure goodness in my books.

- Nice Gerwalk mode. Not quite as good as what I can get from my Yamato's but good enough!

- Nice shield that hides nicely in the fighter and is nicely proportioned to the battroid mode. Knife in the shield is a nice touch and 100% better than the un-stow-able butter knife that comes with the 25s.

- I can use whatever hands I want in fighter mode. No more digging for hands when I want to transform! Why one earth you would want to use any hands except for the ones that hold that beautiful gun are beyond me.

- Beautiful detail on the gun. Even the crappy VF-25 1/100s had more astetically pleasings gun pods than the VF-25 DX does.....Shudder....just thinking about the fugly gun pod from the VF-25 DX is putting me in a bad mood.

- No bloody attachable piece needed to attach the gun pod! THANK JEBUSS! (yes I spelled that wrong on purpose) Now why couldn't you have used the exact same mechanism on the VF-25 DX's Bandai! Bad Bandai Bad....go to your kennel!

- Paint is nice.....oh who am I kidding I can't stay made at you. Come out Bandai your a good boy...Yesss your ARE!....wait it's nice paint and all but there is something wrong with the nose (refer below).......Moma get my gun!

- The pitot tubes on the canards are a nice touch but they are just begging to snag on something and then snap off.

- Metal shoulders are brilliant because of one thing. The peg. Keeps everything inline and nice.

- The neck and head are nicely proportioned. Good work Bandai I was afraid you where going to screw this up!

- Movable thruster nosels on the "nacels". Nice touch!

Now the Bad.

- It's just as nice and tight as my VF-25 was when I first bought it.....why is this a negative you ask? IT FEELS EXACTLY AS TIGHT! Especially in the hip joints. i.e. I can rotate them nice but they stiffen abit during the movement then get good again like they just grinded past something. Which leads me to believe that 3-4 months from now I might be dealing with a floppy mess as it works itself loose. It's good now but I withhold judgement considering how bad my VF-25's got.

- The front canards are eventually going to break sometime during a transformation when I am not paying attention. When you peg the hips loose the first and only thing they will hit going forward will be the those canards so eventually one day I am going to find they are missing. I don't understand why they did not make both of them fold-able or pop-off-able as a protection against this.

- Floppy wrists. I know the hand is in no way going to be able to hold the gun on it's own but both hands are just barely strong enough! I get it set just right and when I get back to it the gun has dropped a bit. Argh that is frustrating.

- The ankels are nice but I wish the toes/feet had some better posability. The front of the foot is the real problem hear. It can go flat for standing but has little to no forward/upward movement. (I didn't attempt to go more forward than flat as there was allot of resistance. If it can let me know and maybe I'll work up the balls to try it.) It's an improvement over the VF-25 but considering the "three" toe design I was hoping for something better.

- For the love of God getting those shoulders back into position for fighter mode is a real test of my patience. It's just as bad as the leg alignment problem on the VF-22/YF-21 or the arms on the YF-19. I am sure I will get better at it but....ugh.

The Ugly

- Pale purple paint on the nose/cockpit scratches way to easy. I scratched it dragging the FLAT OF MY NAIL ON IT! I actually HEARD A TEARING NOISE! That's just plain horrible and good sign of misapplied paint. It's like they forgot to apply a primer or gloss coat as the paint on the nose is of a slightly different in texture and pigment. Normally I wouldn't mind but it scratches WAY to easy.

Overall a good toy that just looks DAMN NICE! Too bad about the paint though. I just plain wrong to see paint scratches on a toy within the first couple of hours of handling it. Note that I only found this on the forward fusalge/nose and the cockpit. Everywhere else seemed ok and held up to my back of the nail rub test. Which I didn't do on purpose initially. The back of my nail rubbed on it as I was figuring out who to get the arms to align better for fighter mode........Hulk mad.......Hulk need beer now.....

I will post some pics tomorrow. Especially of the craggy scare running down the front of my VF-27s nose now.

Edited by logos

Got mine yesterday! This thing is BEAUTIFUL!!!! Totally love it! I also have a crooked 101 on the right side v. Stab. No biggie thoug, seems to be a common issue. Didn't realize that the VF-27 was so small though.....if this truely is 1/60, to me it looks like it's closer to 1/72 with all the design similarities with the massive SV-51. When you look at this next to other 1/60 valks even newer designs like the YF-21 and VF-11 the just look soooo much more robust compaired to the Lucifer. It's a REAL shame that bandai blew it (IMO) with the DX VF-25's design. I'd get a redesigned VF-25 with the improvements that the VF-27 has ...... corrected nose cone, leg position and wing root locking in fighter, Gerwalk posability, and long landing gear.......in a heart beat. This is now one of my favorite valks. The only thing that worries me is the paint and markings comming off. Overall though, homerun Bandai!! :)

Chris

That crooked 101 really bothers me a lot. It reminds me of the crooked skulls on all those 1/48 Focker VF-1S, but far more blatant.

I don't know if the VF-27 is small. More like the SV-51 is just plain enormous at almost 23 meters in length. The VF-27 is at 18.8m which puts it at roughly the same length as the VF-0 at 18.7m. Doing a side by side comparison, its very close to the 1/60 mark.

Has anyone found a paint from Tamiya, Testor's, or any other model paint brand that matches that lilac color on the VF-27? I want to touch up some out-of-the-box paint chips as well as fix a chip on the shin that was caused by resting the 27 on the stand that comes with the super pack VF-25's. How crappy is that, huh?

Nice review. You're doing the arms wrong cause I get back into fighter VERY easy. Unfold them fully (one of these was tighter than the other), move the shoulder pad out of the way and align the arm. Voila.

I've been careful enough to avoid scratching the nose so far... but my shoulders already have a couple scratches each. :( Anyone get a color match on this lilac yet? Bandai should sell tubes of it for touch up. :\

yeah, the shoulder alignment is WAY easier than the yf-21 legs or yf-19 arms. In terms of transformation, the 25/27 is right there with the vf-1 and 11 in terms of ease and simplicity, imo.

Agree completely. Great transformation on the 25 and 27.

Nice review. You're doing the arms wrong cause I get back into fighter VERY easy. Unfold them fully (one of these was tighter than the other), move the shoulder pad out of the way and align the arm. Voila.

I've been careful enough to avoid scratching the nose so far... but my shoulders already have a couple scratches each. :( Anyone get a color match on this lilac yet? Bandai should sell tubes of it for touch up. :\

Yeah I figured I was doing it wrong. I just didn't find it intuitive at all. I see that if you don't have the shoulders and arms in the right position when you rotate them in you get problems but I have yet to figure out that "just right" alignment yet....... Guess I got spoiled buy the VF-11. It's not a major grip but like my VF-22 I will have to do it a few times to get used to it....ah now bed time.

Has anyone found a paint from Tamiya, Testor's, or any other model paint brand that matches that lilac color on the VF-27? I want to touch up some out-of-the-box paint chips as well as fix a chip on the shin that was caused by resting the 27 on the stand that comes with the super pack VF-25's. How crappy is that, huh?

Same here, I will eventually need to do some overhaul, because kneecaps, shoulders, shoulder pads and ankles already show paint wear, and I realized there is some funny paint smudge on the cockpit's side, around Ranka's seat

First off.....Come on better than Yamato?!?! I agree that it's a great toy but better than the VF-1 1/60s (broken shoulder aside) VF-11 or VF-22's? I'm not saying recent Yamatoes are better but Bandai's VF-27 DX while in the same league is in no way better. Sure there is more metal but diecast and some good attention to detail does not make them better toys.

Oh and paint.....uhm......I have to totally disagree with anyone who thinks Yamato does not do a good paint job. I have very little problem with paint scratches on my Yamato Valks. Nothing even close to as bad as what I have gotten with Bandai's Frontier offerings or as pissed as I am about the VF-27's nose!

IMG_0486.jpg

took less than a day for it to get to that point. this is pretty much how piece of metal on my yamato's looks. paint on plastic is fine with Yamato but Paint to metal adhesion has not improved much at all since the days of the v.1 1/60's.

as for the VF-27 all the paint apps are perfect on mine, even the Nose cone is nice and solid.

also I think the VF-27 has one of the smoothest transformations of any toy out there. It blows away the YF-19/21 and even beats the VF-1. I ended up needing the instructions only once (to get the chest over the torso in battroid, and mostly because I was still worried about chipping paint). after one go from fighter to battroid I felt totally comfortable with it. In fact the VF-27 is the only macross toy I've ever owned that went back to fighter mode from battroid mode looking better than it did coming out of the box, it locks together so solidly and intuitively.

I don't know, I think that both companies could learn a few lessons from each other if they want to make a perfect toy. the biggest plus Yamatos have over this is the finish, the gloss surface looks nice but it shows dust and fingerprints like crazy and it actually makes it hard to hold.

that said, this toy blows away yamato's when it comes to how nice and tight the joints are. there isn't a single overly loose or overly tight joint on this thing. But even more than that the ratchet joints are so much better than Yamato's. Every Yamato I've ever had seams to have the little quirk that while the detentes on the ratchets hold, there's always a little play to them which lets the part sort of rattle around. There is no rattle to these joints at all THIS IS HOW A RATCHET JOINT SHOULD BE!

Also, as much as everyone complains about chiping paint. this has much better paint adhesion on metal than Yamato's do. Every single Yamato I've owned has had paint chip from the landing gear the first time I pulled them out of their bays. Yamato paint does NOT stick to metal so it's a good thing they use almost none of it. so far I've got now paint chips on the VF-27's metal, and only small spot where paint has rubbed from the plastic (no worse than any Yamato I've owned.)

There are a lot of features and gimmicks that Yamato does that this could use (painted cockpit, articulated hands...) but it just so solid and fun that it's already become my new favorite valk along with my VF-11 (and I didn't need to take apart the VF-27 right out of the box :p .)

wait a few months and tell me how those joints are holding up. My dx vf-25 has been propped up on its stand for months not doing anything and it's wobbly mess.

as for the paint on your landing gear, you get no sympathy from me, my 27 came with a chip and paint blisters out of the box.

Edited by eugimon

IMG_0486.jpg

took less than a day for it to get to that point. this is pretty much how piece of metal on my yamato's looks. paint on plastic is fine with Yamato but Paint to metal adhesion has not improved much at all since the days of the v.1 1/60's.

and this is exactly why I use tweezers and tissue/cotton to deploy landing gears! It's pretty much a non issue because I rarely if ever use landing gears on any of my Yamato's but it's a solid complaint.

Yamato releases a toy with manufacturing flaws? They suck! I'll never buy a Yamato again!

Bandai releases a toy with manufacturing flaws? It's perfect! Yamato could learn a thing or two from them!

Damn shame about the weak paint app and chipping problems on what is otherwise a great looking toy. It still boggles me that that's an issue in this day and age. The 27's price approaches the high end Yamato items, and though I don't have exact production figures, I can't really see the price per unit skyrocketing past Yamato's stuff if they switched to a flat finish plastic instead and got rid of the mold release or whatever that residue is.

IMG_0486.jpg

as for the VF-27 all the paint apps are perfect on mine, even the Nose cone is nice and solid.

also I think the VF-27 has one of the smoothest transformations of any toy out there. It blows away the YF-19/21 and even beats the VF-1. I ended up needing the instructions only once (to get the chest over the torso in battroid, and mostly because I was still worried about chipping paint). after one go from fighter to battroid I felt totally comfortable with it. In fact the VF-27 is the only macross toy I've ever owned that went back to fighter mode from battroid mode looking better than it did coming out of the box, it locks together so solidly and intuitively.

What the heck are you using to open the landing gear on your Yamatos, a screwdriver, with an extremely sharp head and then just stabbing it while blindfolded into the landing gear well multiple times?

If I can't get a landing gear open with just my fingers, I'll use either a wood toothpick or the plastic shirt clip from a cheap ballpen that has a removeable cap. I've opened landing gear on my Yamatos many times and never had paint chipping like that on any of them.

Graham

If I can't get a landing gear open with just my fingers, I'll use either a wood toothpick or the plastic shirt clip from a cheap ballpen that has a removeable cap. I've opened landing gear on my Yamatos many times and never had paint chipping like that on any of them.

Graham

I use a wooden earpick. Seriously.

The size and the curve is perfect for getting any landing gears out.

well i guess there's always be a room for improvement in the future.. one thing that i hate is mostly about the scale.. curse you bandai.. why didn't you made it as big as yamato.. just look at the pilot.. it's so tiny .. yet they proclaim to have the same scale with yamato (i:60)

Edited by valid

What the heck are you using to open the landing gear on your Yamatos, a screwdriver, with an extremely sharp head and then just stabbing it while blindfolded into the landing gear well multiple times?

Graham

To be honest a wooden tooth pick chipped some of the paint on my Milia 22 gear. In Yamato's defense it wasn't so much the paint sucked as a combination of that and the gear being really stuck but seriously a tooth pick isn't all that sturdy or abrasive.

Graham

I've never used anything but my finger/fingernail on it.

Edited by anime52k8

My YF-19 landing have a couple chips on them, but my YF-21 and VF-22 landing gear look good. Can't get my VF-11B landing gear out (haven't bothered trying with a toothpick and probably going to be in Battroid for awhile since not alot of room for fighter.