Official Bandai 1/60 Scale DX Toy Thread Ver.6

Duke Togo

Was too late at night to type...

- The bigger head eliminated the short neck problem.

- The arms articulation is excellent. The elbows can bend almost to 180 degrees.

- The hip articulation is worse than that of the VF-25. I can't make any pose out of it... Maybe it's just my problem.

- The tail fins are not vertical; they bend inwards. Is that the anime design?

- The joints are just tight right - not too tight like the Quarter, and strong enough to hold. Except for the wrists, which is understandable. Can hold gun in one hand (thus far).

- In battroid mode, the hips (normally the intakes for VF-1 and VF-25; but not for VF-27) would scratch the waist more easily than the VF-25.

- I was happy fro Fighter to Gerwalk. Disappointed at the battroid.

- Just my personal opinion!

Edited by ff95gj

I thought it would be much better than the VF-25... But besides the short neck problem, it's more or less the same...

The hip articulation is even worse than the 25... Or it's just me...

Cool, thanks for posting up some pics.

However, I don't think it's fair to call it more or less the same. Just from observations:

The overall sculpt is closer to the source than the 25 was.

It seems to have a lot more rather than less articulation with the arms being able to swing upwards and to the side more.

It has an added knee swivel, which the 25 completely lacked.

The huge gun can be attached to fighter mode with the landing gears down unlike the 25G.

The landing gears themselves are longer than the 25's.

The hip placement in battroid is much more accurate.

Though this is due more to the natural design of the 27 and also due to the bad design of 25 DX, the leg actually allows more movement since the top of it doesn't butt up against the LERX like the 25 does.

The legs actually rise up above the back of the fighter correctly unlike the 25.

The shield collapses in and doesn't have that gap between the shield and the arm.

I'd say that's a fair bit of improvement over the 25.

The tailfins are supposed to slant inwards on the VF-27.

The leg placement looks to be the same as the VF-25. It just doesn't look as bad because the air intake covers separate from the actual air intakes themselves, which I see are not molded into the top of the leg at all.

I can't see that the hip placement is right this time; it's the same as the VF-25.

And no the hip movement doesn't improve because of the VF-27 design; the ratchet joint under the intake is the one which provides movement, not the hip joint, which can't rotate much on the DX anyways.

See the 25F for an example:

6d043591.jpg

And it's easier to scratch the waist than the VF-25 intake, regardless of the no-intake design of VF-27.

The arms are again excellent. But with static lower limbs... It's difficult to pose well! :(

The leg placement looks to be the same as the VF-25.

which is how it's supposed to be. :rolleyes:

I can't see that the hip placement is right this time; it's the same as the VF-25.

which is how it's supposed to be. seriously, this was covered way back when the very first pics of the DX 27 showed up in this thread, the 27's legs connect higher up on the crotch block than the 25's do.

vf-27-battroid.jpg

Edited by anime52k8

which is how it's supposed to be. seriously, this was covered way back when the very first pics of the DX 27 showed up in this thread, the 27's legs connect higher up on the crotch block than the 25's do.

Thanks for the clarification! ^_^

Holy cow. Yeah, I'll have to get one now, that thing looks awesome. Honestly, I'm not so worried about articulation so much as I am that it just LOOKS BETTER.

Know what kind of ticks me off though? The reason this looks so good is because they did almost everything to it that they should have done on the 25 in the first place.

Let's see..Good landing gear? Double check- nice and long in front (articulated catapult bar even), detailed aircraft-looking gear in back.

Integrated gunpod clip? Check.

Legs that actually fit where they're supposed to, and lock in place with tabs on the sides of the legs? Double check.

Collapsing shield design? Check, and they even included the stabbity thing.

Removable intake covers? Check, AND THEY MADE THE INTAKES BLACK INSIDE. (Bandai got you there Yamato, sorry to say.)

Thigh swivel? Oh yes indeed, check.

Inner foot/engine details? Quadruple check, feet and boosters.

Non-limp-looking nosecone? Check.

Better jointed arms? There's at least 45 degrees of outward motion at the joint this time, not to mention double jointed elbows.

Less fiddly head mount? Certainly looks that way, though only will be able to confirm in person.

Gobs of surface details? Check (although I'd take quality markings that don't flake off over having even more of the same cruddy applications)

It's like a quantum leap over the 25. I just hope the quality is there to back up how good it looks. And interestingly.. they added the thigh cut out for the shoulders. This is something the VF-25 kit did, but not the DX. The shoulders are supposed to fit into a recess on the inner surface of the lower thigh joints, and they forgot to do this on the DX. That's why the wings never sit level in fighter, but drop to the right position in gerwalk - the arms don't fit between the legs without that cutout. I tested this on my DX once by removing the arms at the dotted block. The result? Perfectly level wings.<_<

If I hadn't just ordered my box of fun for this month, I'd be putting in an order now. Oh well.. at least I'll have the model kit to tide me over for a while. ^_^

vf-27-battroid.jpg

The DX still sits noticeably higher than that CG pic and what's seen in the anime. Not to mention the gigantic crotch.

If it sits higher then the 25, then it's not the same. Yet you say it's supposed to be the same. Make up your mind.

Edited by Lolicon

The only thing that bothered me about the review was that the reviewer claims "Highly posable" in battroid mode but then fails to really demonstrate it at all.

Looking at the GERWALK pictures I can't help but think how much better the VF-25 would be with just the upgraded arm articulation and a thigh cut.

All in all a great looking bird, I'm eager for Graham's review.

Edited by hutch

The DX still sits noticeably higher than that CG pic and what's seen in the anime. Not to mention the gigantic crotch.

If it sits higher then the 25, then it's not the same. Yet you say it's supposed to be the same. Make up your mind.

In the CG the legs on the VF-27 sit higher up than the legs on the VF-25 IN THE CG.

So on the DX TOY the legs of the VF-25 are too high but the VF-27 is just about right.

Also the crotch isn't "Gigantic." the legs may be a little high and the crotch a little large, but only to the point where you'd need to be completely anal retentive to care. The only problem that I see is that the crotch doesn't angle out enough (which I've been bothered by since the first promo shots). if it did angle out more it would look perfect, but as is it's not bad and worlds better than the DX-25. (and a hell of a lot better than the Model kit with it's ugly stretched-out torso.)

Edited by anime52k8

In the CG the legs on the VF-27 sit higher up than the legs on the VF-25 IN THE CG.

So on the DX TOY the legs of the VF-25 are too high but the VF-27 is just about right.

Also the crotch isn't "Gigantic." the legs may be a little high and the crotch a little large, but only to the point where you'd need to be completely anal retentive to care. The only problem that I see is that the crotch doesn't angle out enough (which I've been bothered by since the first promo shots). if it did angle out more it would look perfect, but as is it's not bad and worlds better than the DX-25. (and a hell of a lot better than the Model kit with it's ugly stretched-out torso.)

You're the one assigning value judgments, not me. I'm simply making observations pending further reviews by others.

Since you've now admitted that the legs are high, saying it's only "a little high" doesn't really contradict what I said, does it?

And the size of the crotch and the height of the legs are quite noticeable to those of us who actually notice details. So now you're resorting to calling anyone with an eye for detail "anal retentive"? Nice. What's next? Anyone who doesn't like Bandai's DX toy line is a communist?

Posting a CG pic that looks different from the DX and presenting it as irrefutable proof that the DX is somehow more anime accurate than other incarnations of the VF-27 is wishful thinking at best, an outright lie at worst.

Due to family commitments, I only had an hour to examine the toy yesterday. I kept it in fighter mode for 40 minutes, just enjoying looking at it and whooshing it around and then transformed it to battroid mode and spent the last 20 minutes posing it in battroid.

Gotta say so far I love this toy. It's approaching Yamatoness in its awesome attention to detail.

• Joints nice and tight - check.
  • Loads of printed markings - check.
  • Awesome sculpt - check.
  • Lots of mechanical detail - check.
  • Great poseability - check.
  • Removeable pilots check.
  • Full length landing gear - check (although curiously the struts are silver, not white as with real military aircraft).

I like it so much, I'm seriously thinking of buying a second one.

Yes, the crotch lock is very similar in design to that on the VF-25, but on my VF-27, it feels much tighter.

So far the toy gets 2 big thumbs up from me. Can't wait for the green cannon fodder version).

Graham

Graham--are the struts actually painted silver, or simply bare metal like an old 1/55?

PS---green *cannon fodder* version? No no no, green=Grace. :) (of course, it all depends on if Bandai molds a new head unit, or simply uses Brera's)

In the anime AFAIK, Grace just uses one of the Anteres squadron standard production green units, which have the same head as Brera's anyway (new retconned model kit head doesn't count, as it wasn't in the anime). IMO there is no such thing as a special 'Grace' version. And yes, the struts are painted silver. Graham

Since you've now admitted that the legs are high, saying it's only "a little high" doesn't really contradict what I said, does it?

And the size of the crotch and the height of the legs are quite noticeable to those of us who actually notice details. So now you're resorting to calling anyone with an eye for detail "anal retentive"? Nice. What's next? Anyone who doesn't like Bandai's DX toy line is a communist?

Fist, I never contradicted your statement. You stated that the legs on the VF-27 toy are in the same place as on the VF-25 toy, I said that it (the legs) being in that place (on the toy) is about where it should be, then in my second post I explained my assessment after you completely

misinterpreted what I had said in my first post.

And my point is that the implications in this thread that the legs are in the wrong spot and as inaccurate as the VF-25 toys generally overstated and that the discrepancy that you see (between the rendering and the toy) are the fault of a completely different problem (it's not the leg placement or the crotch size, it's the angle the crotch is at). Further, any discrepancy between the toy and the CG model in terms of placement and size are acceptable considering the compromises needed to convert an animation model to a toy. Other toys make bigger compromises, and I stand by my assertion that expecting an absolutely perfect translation is unrealistic.

Nice straw man by the way.

Posting a CG pic that looks different from the DX and presenting it as irrefutable proof that the DX is somehow more anime accurate than other incarnations of the VF-27 is wishful thinking at best, an outright lie at worst.

at what point did I attempt to present that picture "irrefutable proof" of anything?(hit: never) I posted the CG rendering to better illustrate my position that the legs on the VF-27 sit high on the crotch block (in the CG model), higher than the legs on the VF-25 do.

Posting the CG rendering was completely unrelated to my latter statement about the comparative accuracy of the DX and model kit. however I will say that the DX is MORE accurate(note: more ancurate not completely accurate, just more accurate) than the Model kit. (which puts the leg half way down the undersized crotch, leaving a large gap between the top of the leg and the bottom of the chest, despite how elongated the intakes are.)

TOY-RBT-0938.jpg

(

Yeah, but the kit box doesn't count, based mainly on their "Grace" artwork. Gah, that's nightmare-fuel. Bandai's kit-makers obviously care little about Grace.

Either way, she flys #102. If the repaint is #102 (hopefully it will be) then that's Grace's.

IMHO, the fact that BOTH of the green ones in the anime are just like Brera's, is simply "animator laziness"--they didn't feel the need to make a new CGI model for a slight difference for a valk only seen in the background for a few seconds---but IMHO at least one "really" has the "normal" head as shown in the kit, as do most other VF-27's. (but Grace's has a head like Brera's) That's my own personal canon, but I like it and it's quite reasonable.

Kind of like how I don't think Roy's valk in DYRL had a color-changing heatshield. It's a fine line between "canon" and "mistake/laziness".

Yeah, but the kit box doesn't count, based mainly on their "Grace" artwork. Gah, that's nightmare-fuel. Bandai's kit-makers obviously care little about Grace.

Either way, she flys #102. If the repaint is #102 (hopefully it will be) then that's Grace's.

I don't think it's the kit-makers who don't care (they went to the trouble of making a well endowed pilot sculpt after all) it's just the box designers.

As for the silver gear, it can really depend on manufacturer/era/country I think. Most modern planes do paint the gear white (I think a part of that is it makes fluid leaks easier to spot), but I remember a lot of older aircraft that just left their gear silver. I think for some time, the white was mainly a navy color, with the air force opting to leave landing gear bare, or sometimes even using green (don't remember any green gear struts, but the interiors of the gear wells certainly were).

As for the silver gear, it can really depend on manufacturer/era/country I think. Most modern planes do paint the gear white (I think a part of that is it makes fluid leaks easier to spot), but I remember a lot of older aircraft that just left their gear silver. I think for some time, the white was mainly a navy color, with the air force opting to leave landing gear bare, or sometimes even using green (don't remember any green gear struts, but the interiors of the gear wells certainly were).

agree.. i think the model will look much more nicer.. if the landing gear were paint in white.. just like yamato.. to bad.. it's not..