Official Bandai 1/60 Scale DX Toy Thread Ver.6

Duke Togo

It's too bad.

I so wanted this toy. But I don't know anyone who is happy with it.

What's this about the 1/48? A model kit?

I think I will wait for Yamato. I use to think BanDai owned Yamato in the QC department, but it has really been the other way around of late.

I don't think Yamato will be making VF-25's anytime soon...like a long time...

I actually like my DX 25 quite a bit without the armor I've found.

Edited by hutch

It's too bad.

I so wanted this toy. But I don't know anyone who is happy with it.

What's this about the 1/48? A model kit?

I think I will wait for Yamato. I use to think BanDai owned Yamato in the QC department, but it has really been the other way around of late.

I've got 5 DX's and they really aren't that bad. The paint will come off, but you could hit them with some sealant if it bothers you that much. The mk.2 '25's are much better than the first issues, but it all comes down to what you want out of a figure. They definitely aren't perfect, the kits seem to have a better range of poseability and line accuracy, but I don't see any threads here designated solely to shoulder or hip breakages that seem to follow a lot of Yamato's releases. Yamato do some beautiful work, but personally I value die-cast components in key stress areas and durability when I pay that much for a figure.

I've got 5 DX's and they really aren't that bad. The paint will come off, but you could hit them with some sealant if it bothers you that much. The mk.2 '25's are much better than the first issues, but it all comes down to what you want out of a figure. They definitely aren't perfect, the kits seem to have a better range of poseability and line accuracy, but I don't see any threads here designated solely to shoulder or hip breakages that seem to follow a lot of Yamato's releases. Yamato do some beautiful work, but personally I value die-cast components in key stress areas and durability when I pay that much for a figure.

yes this!

I present the VF-25F Sheryl Gaurd - Battroid mode:

15oz6oo.jpg

taq0bc.jpg

20qhz41.jpg

I couldn't resist cramming the VT-1 in there as well :)

On a personal note - I have warmed more and more to Bandai's DX. I mean - I play with my DXs far more than with my Yamatos; just like I play with my Soul of Chogokin far more than with Yamatos. There is something to be said for the die-cast and the durability factor. I mean - how many times have you guys played with your VF-0s?

I'm not knocking Yamato for doing what it does - I'd be the last person to criticize them - but I am saying that I appreciate Bandai which finds a perfect balance between durability and line-accuracy/aesthetics.

I think the comparissons of Bandai's DX to the Yamato version 1.0 valks or the Pluses is not right because if you'll recall, the YF-21 was a flopppy mess that could not stand up. The YF-19 was just but ugly in both modes. I mean - the DX is not as bad as that...is it?

In any event - I am happy with it. Skeptic turned fan.

Oh brother :)

I like the armor. My Armored Ozma is great.

Come on - you guys are being too harsh. Remember the armored 1/48 from Yamato? I mean - it also had a limited range of poseability and had SOME parts popping off.

SOME.

SOMETIMES.

Although mine never had any popping off...

Actually - speaking of popping off...

Who says the DX Armored has parts popping off? Which parts? Hell - yesterday, I had to take the armor off of my Alto to put the Sheryl Nome decals on him and I had trouble getting the stuff OFF. NOTHING was "popping" off. I was holding him upside down by the leg and NOTHING fell off.

Are you sure you're attaching the armor correctly?

If anything - it's super tight.

My one small gripe with the DX is that it feels a bit limited on the poseability side...like it's straining to strike a pose... Yamato's version 2.0 is far far more fluid on this point.

But really - seriously - honestly - the DX is just fine.

I'm happy with it.

good job Bandai.

Pete

Oh brother :)

I like the armor. My Armored Ozma is great.

Come on - you guys are being too harsh. Remember the armored 1/48 from Yamato? I mean - it also had a limited range of poseability and had SOME parts popping off.

SOME.

SOMETIMES.

Although mine never had any popping off...

Actually - speaking of popping off...

Who says the DX Armored has parts popping off? Which parts? Hell - yesterday, I had to take the armor off of my Alto to put the Sheryl Nome decals on him and I had trouble getting the stuff OFF. NOTHING was "popping" off. I was holding him upside down by the leg and NOTHING fell off.

Are you sure you're attaching the armor correctly?

If anything - it's super tight.

My one small gripe with the DX is that it feels a bit limited on the poseability side...like it's straining to strike a pose... Yamato's version 2.0 is far far more fluid on this point.

But really - seriously - honestly - the DX is just fine.

I'm happy with it.

good job Bandai.

Pete

Yup, the 1/48 armor has issues all the same ones the DX armor has but at least it didn't require retooling the 1/48 or parts swapping.

For the record, yes, I'm not nugundamII, I can follow instructions. The crotch armor falls off and the hip gun armor falls off as well as the ball socket joints don't hold the ball joint with any sort of tension. The best it can do is hang there limply.

And oh, none of the 1/48 accessories interfered with the transformation of the toy... almost as if the FAST packs and GBP were being considered were being considered when the 1/48 was being developed. The DX can't say the same.

Personally I am a guy who has a priority on the look than how it plays. Really, how often I am to transform it or change its pose?

I still think the DX VF-25's look ugly... Paint chip, joints get loosen real quick.

It's not THAT bad; but I can't recommend it to anyone.

If I can choose again... I would skip the DX and get the Roboté­‚ series only.

The Armored parts attach on better; but the Super parts pop off easily.

Personally I am a guy who has a priority on the look than how it plays. Really, how often I am to transform it or change its pose?

I still think the DX VF-25's look ugly... Paint chip, joints get loosen real quick.

It's not THAT bad; but I can't recommend it to anyone.

If I can choose again... I would skip the DX and get the Roboté­‚ series only.

The Armored parts attach on better; but the Super parts pop off easily.

It's not a bad toy, it's just not a modern toy... it really looks and feels like a toy from 10 years ago. Some people are in to that, good for them, I'm even happy for them. We should all have a chance to get what we want. I can only say that I'm not keen on the DX line so far. The poor planning and implementation of the toy, the accessories, the number of exclusives for the line... the whole thing leaves me with a feeling of mild disappointment.

Here's hoping the vf-27 will improve where improvements are due.

For the record, yes, I'm not nugundamII, I can follow instructions. The crotch armor falls off and the hip gun armor falls off as well as the ball socket joints don't hold the ball joint with any sort of tension. The best it can do is hang there limply.

You're sure you are pushing the hip gun armor on far enough? Because on my VF-25's it does click into place (even though it's not a very noticeable click). The crotch armor only tend to fall off when transforming the toy. The only armor bits that could attach more securely are the upper leg armors, IMHO.

I wouldn't compare the VF-25 to a Yamato toy from 10 years ago. Even the best 1/72 M+ Valk (VF-11B Fast Pack version) is worse than the VF-25. When transforming a VF-25 I've never felt as scared of breaking something as on my VF-11B, and even the worst attaching armor on the VF-25 is better than the 'look funny and it will fall off' leg armor on the VF-11B. Oh, and let's not forget that the VF-11B needed two iterations to get to one that didn't suffer from breaking parts (hello, fractured hips!).

The 1/60 VF-1 ver. 1 is marginally better than the FP VF-11B, but has the separating legs transformation...

It's not a bad toy, it's just not a modern toy... it really looks and feels like a toy from 10 years ago. Some people are in to that, good for them, I'm even happy for them. We should all have a chance to get what we want. I can only say that I'm not keen on the DX line so far. The poor planning and implementation of the toy, the accessories, the number of exclusives for the line... the whole thing leaves me with a feeling of mild disappointment.

Here's hoping the vf-27 will improve where improvements are due.

I basically agree with you; I want to add again I think the DX is a decent toy - if we don'y compare it to anything else.

However, when taking into account with Bandai's own MF model kits (to prove that the mech design is feasible), Chogokin series (to prove that Bandai is capable), and Yamato's works since the 1/48 series (for many Macross fans they have demonstrated a new standard), there was so much potential in a great series but now Bandai only delivers the standard (and even medicore) stuffs.

The hip and crotch parts on the Super set on mine pop off VERY easily.

The torso would be better served if there was some sort of 'locking' mechanism in battroid mode.

I would love to see what Yamato would do with the VF-25 but alas we probably won't.

FWIW, without the armor, in all mode, it looks great...really slick.

I'd get DXes, if their paint didn't wear out so quickly and have hideous screw holes exposed at every angle. I really don't see the sense in making a playable toy, when you have to handle it like an angel to not take off a chunk of paint with every transformation.

You know what else is "sturdy"? A brick. A brick is also more useful and better engineered, but I wouldn't pay $200 for one either.

Then again, the DX looks exactly like the 1/72 model, so I don't know why anyone is complaining.

post-5703-1257113258_thumb.jpg

Edited by Lolicon

The armored DX is better, but there are still visible differences. And that's just on the surface, your own paint application on the model kit would be far more durable than the ones on the DX. The decals do need overcoats though, I admit.

Also, DX raspberry boxes. >_>

The armored DX is better, but there are still visible differences. And that's just on the surface, your own paint application on the model kit would be far more durable than the ones on the DX. The decals do need overcoats though, I admit.

Also, DX raspberry boxes. >_>

Why not spray Mr. Paint Clear coat on them. I actually added a thin coat of nail polish ! THIN! otherwise it will brush off the paint!!!!!

and nope no decals coming off or paint chips.

Huh

You know what else is "sturdy"? A brick. A brick is also more useful and better engineered, but I wouldn't pay $200 for one either.

Then again, the DX looks exactly like the 1/72 model, so I don't know why anyone is complaining.

Heh, that's my pic on the left. For the record, I still like my Armored Ozma quite a bit (just not the decals and paint rubbing off). It looks nice displayed with my Yamato stuff.

think it looks good, I just hate how easily the paint chips and as you mentioned, how the joints get loose quick. Happened to the right shoulder on my 25S. I'm one of the guys that prefers ratcheted/detented joints rather than ball joints. I didn't even like the ball jointed shoulders of the 1/48 VF-1, they were more prone to looseness than the 1st 1/60 VF-1 toys. Thankfully, on the V2 the shoulders aren't as prone to looseness as the 1/48. I also don't like how the shoulder armor has to move in unison for the most part, with the shoulder. It looks ugly.

I also don't like how the hips/intakes are placed higher on the DX than on the model/anime, and this complaint of mine has nothing to do with anime-accuracy. I got tired of the hip placement because the paint from the LERX's is very prone to chipping and the LERX's just got in the way of leg posing to begin with. Speaking of poseability, the DX could have definitely used a thigh swivel and higher range of motion at each leg joint.

I wouldn't be surprised if Bandai released a V2 DX VF-25 next year after Spring which addresses most of the concerns voiced. The current DX is a decent toy but could have been much better.

I wouldn't be surprised if Bandai released a V2 DX VF-25 next year after Spring which addresses most of the concerns voiced. The current DX is a decent toy but could have been much better.

My personal frustration definitely comes from that it "could have been much better" part. As I'd said before, I would have cheered if this was made and delivered by CMS.

If Bandai would release a v2 which addresses the issues, I would happily curse them and buy the whole SMS squad all over.

As I'd said before, I would have cheered if this was made and delivered by CMS.
CMS, the same company that made the Legioss/Tread set? Eh...having had that set...not sure if their take would have been better, maybe in some areas but most likely worse in others..

What I want is something that strikes me as an SOC equivalent Macross toy. A stand that has spots to store all of the accessories and option parts. Articulation and joints that can be hidden like on the GX-45 Mazinger. Unhindered range of motion. Joints that aren't prone to looseness. So far we don't have a VF-25 toy like that but I hope we get one.

CMS, the same company that made the Legioss/Tread set? Eh...having had that set...not sure if their take would have been better, maybe in some areas but most likely worse in others..

What I want is something that strikes me as an SOC equivalent Macross toy. A stand that has spots to store all of the accessories and option parts. Articulation and joints that can be hidden like on the GX-45 Mazinger. Unhindered range of motion. Joints that aren't prone to looseness. So far we don't have a VF-25 toy like that but I hope we get one.

yup, bandai can do much better but honestly the DX feels like it was made by a dozen teams that didn't know what each other was doing. Case in point, the shoulder joint... the shoulder underneath the shoulder armor has like 2 degrees of movement... why even bother?

I didn't mean the CMS products are better... B)) Quite on the contrary, they are so notoriously bad so if they can make something like the DX, I would cheer for them.

And yes, when it's from Bandai, I expect the Chogokin quality. If it doesn't, I curse.

I didn't mean the CMS products are better... Quite on the contrary, they are so notoriously bad so if they can make something like the DX, I would cheer for them.
OHHHHHHHHHHHH! I completely read what you typed earlier man, I get what you're saying now and I agree.

And yes, when it's from Bandai, I expect the Chogokin quality. If it doesn't, I curse.
Same here. I was pretty surprised when I got to handle it. I love the paint finish and durability, I think they should keep the gloss plastic, whatever hard grade of plastic it is that they are using, and diecast. What they need is some super sealant to make sure those damn paint apps don't scrape off during regular handling and more of what we'd expect from them.

After watching video reviews of some SOC figures, especially GX-45 Mazinger, I definitely knew that Bandai could have made a much better DX VF-25. Here's to hoping we see a 2.0 by next summer.

I didn't mean the CMS products are better... B)) Quite on the contrary, they are so notoriously bad so if they can make something like the DX, I would cheer for them.

Their Patlabor products are pretty good...heck, most of their ABS-and-diecast offerings are. Their PVC figures, on the other hand :ph34r: (except the Patlabor sofubis - those are awesome :D :D :D )

Actually - judging by that picture -the ARMORED DX is much better than the 1/72 armored Ozma. The legs - which are supposedly one of the good things about the model - suddenly become bad in armored mode - with the hinges just jutting out like that. Meanwhile the DX legs look very smoothly connected to the torso - the DX reflects "anime magic" in action - that's good.

As for the joints, paint etc... what do you guys do with your Valkyrie? I mean, do you smash them into one another yelling "boom! ratatatatatata! zzzeeeoooo! kabloowy!!" ??? Do you spin mindlessly around with the valkyrie in hand imagining that it's flying through space and then, on account of diziness, come crashing down on the floor, sending your valk flying and smashing onto the ground? Do entertain your friend's 2 year old when they come over for a visit but giving him Ozma to chew on?

Seriously - these things are durable, paint does not chip and they're good aproximations of the anime design. I was really down on the DX when the first pictures came out - the model looked so much smoother. But now I see that the DX was well thought out.

Also - have you noticed how at different scales, proportions look different?

Maybe the VF-25F just wasn't meant to look as good as some of us might have wanted in 1:60 scale?

Whatever the case - I'm happy that I own the SMS squadron.

Oh - how Macross Frontier is EASY to collect. Just FOUR variants of the VF-25. And ONE VF-27. And maybe they'll give us a VF-17 or whatever it's called... But it sure is easier than Macross where you have TV armor, Movie armor, TV hands, movie hands, TV color, Movie colors...etc etc etc...

I like how what the Frontier Valkyrie do is they combine EVERYTHING good about all previous valkyrie... So like Luca's RVF-25 has the ELINT dome - good. And Ozma can have Armor. And Michael has a super pack.. fine. Alto apparently gets Strike Parts in the movie...fine :)

It's all very good for the collector. I don't have to fret over needing to buy seven zillion jets...

And hopefully the EX Gear line will expand and I'll finally get Sheryl's panties...

Pete

Um, actually the VF-27 looks like it has all the problems of the VF-25. It's hips are too fat and it generally seems a tad wider in girth than the animation model - certainly wider than the model.

But I am still getting it. I'm fine with it.

I'm also going to build the model.

I love Macross Frontier :)

Pete

CMs Products might be "notoriously bad" here, but this site isn't exactly a good litmus test for robot toy collectors in a general sense. ;)

I'd argue that CMs aren't anywhere close to being "notoriously bad", but I know who I'd be up against. :p

CMs Products might be "notoriously bad" here, but this site isn't exactly a good litmus test for robot toy collectors in a general sense. ;)

I'd argue that CMs aren't anywhere close to being "notoriously bad", but I know who I'd be up against. :p

Yeah, people like me, you CM's loving punk. Their products are absolutely awful. Utterly without reproach. Ugh.

The DX doesn't look bad, but for me the deal breaker will really be the way the hip joints are designed. Even though I only had one DX with hip lock issues, it's a serious party pooper and not something I'd want to chance again. :unsure:

(Interestingly, the lower leg looks like it's rotated beyond what should be normal vis-a-vis the way the DX '25 is designed. Hopefully that's an indication of some sort of leg swivel, though it would be better if it was up on the thigh).