Official Bandai 1/60 Scale DX Toy Thread Ver.6

Duke Togo

A guy from Toysdaily has already done that... matt coat with pannel lines.

Looks way better!

http://toysdaily.com/discuz/thread-105600-1-4.html

He didn't just matt the armor. He coated it with a flat mix of some sort. You can see the color difference by the chest armor missile bays.

Edited by PsYcHoDyNaMiX

A long time passed and I still cannot get over the hip-joint placement...that still is the deal breaker.

The custom clear coated, panel accented version looks really really good and poses a serious threat to the snap fit model kit, with the exception of those hips too high up...(now hides away from this thread)

Hiya! I last surfaced when the 2nd raft of DX VF-25's were released, and now I'm back again with another review. My VF-25 Armored Ozma DX came in today from HLJ (yeah, I preordered)

"How I stopped worrying and learned to love the Messiah" Part II: "Kawamori Hates Toy Makers."

When I first saw and fell in love with the design, I had one dark thought: "Man, this thing is going to be back-heavy."

Guess what, it is.

Luckily, Bandai seems to read feedback from people like us, because they did the following:

1) The toy's joints are stiff enough to hold poses and support the armor.

2) They included a little piece so you could extend the neck (yes, it's kinda cheaping out but hey, it's a decent fix, IMHO)

3) The plastic is light, yet tough.

I dropped the engine nacelles twice onto a hard wood floor, nearly having a heart attack both times, and the things stayed intact, so kudos. Once again, it''s a solid toy that transforms.... well, without the armor it transforms quite well. My first Ozma has incredibly loose upper-arm swing joints, and these are tight as a drum. The shoulder swing joints are WAY tight, but you know what? I'd prefer it that way, because as we all know, these things loosen over time. But they didn't need to re-design the toy, they just needed to do the armor right. I would have preferred the shoulders to be jointed inside their guards to the thing you "swan dive" them out if you wanted to, but the metal joints make up for it, and it's okay with me.

Now the armor. First: the bad.

I don't know about you folks, but the Cyclops sensor array on the back falls off of mine. Also, I wish Bandai would go to all-pegs (or magnets, hellooo) because they went back to 1985 and used tabs to hold those forearm guards on. Little tabs are major fail because they rely on tension, and these things are gonna break. I'm sorry, but it's true.

The only other problem I have is that the gun pod is just too darn delicate-looking for the design, which is why I'm shaving down the pistol grips on the cannon from an old Omega Boost toy for him to hold. I'll post pictures of this later. It's a nice big gun from another Kawamori design, and will look cool. I wish it'd been designed with a badass railgun mount like the VF-2SS instead of those weensy little needle guns on the nacelles, but oh well.

Now the good.

The hip plates snap on and STAY on (thank you, Bandai) as does every other piece of kit the thing has. However, the hip cannons... yeah, they're a two-part transformation. You have to assemble and disassemble the things. The engine nacelles you have to get used to fitting in and snapping on just right. Also, they are so damn heavy the wing panels don't want to lock very well in battroid mode (they do lock, but watch out). Also, the upper body is just too back-heavy overall and you have to counter-balance by leaning him forward on his fantastic strong metal ankles/leg joints. Finally, the calf armor ALLOWS KNEE MOVEMENT! WOOO! This is them saying "hey, we got the FAST pack version wrong, let's fix it in the armored design", and they did. Bravo.

The reason I said Kawamori Hates Toy Makers (even though I revere him as the master designer he is, don't get me wrong) is that these designs have been making Bandai, Yamato, etc, bend over backwards and sideways to get right. For decades

"Hey guys, here's a TON of armor pieces that don't all logically fit together in all three modes. HAVE FUN!!" Not to mention the joint mobility, proportions, etc. Really the manufacturers have been doing stellar jobs with the animation magic/proportions fudging that goes on. The chunky designs of old gave me fits too, but the most recent raft of Yamato/Bandai jobs? Well done.

So, despite paint scratches, neck-joint inserts, and so on, they're still damn great toys, and my hat is off to those of you who are buying/building the models because let me tell ya, and this is coming from a hard-core modeller, I'd be intimidated by the model version. I mean jeezus, the armor, the joints... YEEK!

So, to sum up, it looks great as a battroid, so-so as a gerwalk, and really shines as a plane (Like Graham, I too love whooshing it around).

Get it, enjoy it.

See you for the DX Macross Quarter.

PS: I have resisted buying an Alto type because, unlike the Mikhail and Luca types, it doesn't bring anything new to the design (for me) but a head/color swap. If one of you can convince me, I will, but for the time being, two Ozmas, a Luca, and Mikhail are enough for me.

--

Got mine yesterday from BBTS, big ass box and bigger ass shipping box with lots of proection for collector grade. Damn this is prestine. My coworkers are urging me to open it. All sides of the box is clean as it can be, no dents, dings or creases.

Thank to all those who posted regarding this figure. The first time I saw this armor on the anime, I said to myself, " **ly s**t, they're gonna make that armor?" ... and Bandai did.

I wanna take photos of this bad boy ... it's always a celebration for me opening Macross toys, like a little boy with his little birthday present!

THANKS todd77 for the armored Alto pics!!!

Well, Alto's red looks rather nice with the yellow.

You gonna change you mind again? ;)

Finally decided to get one. Might sell my Alto or sell the Ozma and keep the armor if I'm not impresed after opening it. I think two DXs are more that enough in my collection already.

I'm so torn. what to do what to do???

Over-drive fixed my order so I guess I'll get my copy in september or whenever the low viz vf-1s comes out.

Well despite all of the reports of paint scratches, chips and other paint related problems my sample I just received has pretty sharp paint applications and nice tight joints. Hurray for straight head lasers too. Sure the oily residue was there, but a quick wipe with my cleaning cloth and now everything shines. ^_^ . Forearm armor kinda sucks , but its still not as bad as the super armor's hip armor <_< . Only transformed to battroid so will see if my happiness lasts until fighter mode.

My DX 25S Armored arrived 2 days ago. I finally have time to open it today and transform it for the first time (not with the armor yet).

As a first time DX buyer, I didn't know what I should expect... The bad hip-joint placement is the one main reason I hold back this toy for so long, it is still a problem, but I know once the armor on, it will looks 'fine'.

The toy itself is pretty 'solid'. I like the feel of it. Some joins are too tight at the moment, surely they will loose up later.

The QC is hardly as bad as people say, my toy has some minor paint scratches (hardly notice) and dirty finger print (which I can clean up with np). The overall design is good. Transformation is easy enough.

My main complain is the choice of the 'matt light grey' paint. Bandai should have molded the parts as its color (the shoulder and the lower part of the legs), not to spray matt paint on top of some grossy plastic! This cause all the paint scratches problem when people start to transform it.

This toy might be a bit expensive - I paid about 20000 yen for it (inlc shipping), but the 25S Armor model kit is hardly cheap!

So far I like this toy, just fun to play.

I shall try to put the armor parts on tonight, should be fun. :lol:

This toy might be a bit expensive - I paid about 20000 yen for it (inlc shipping), but the 25S Armor model kit is hardly cheap!
Yeah it's like if you want the model, you are paying a bit under $100($80+shipping from what I've seen), and $200 or a bit under/over give or take, for the toy.
The bad hip-joint placement is the one main reason I hold back this toy for so long, it is still a problem, but I know once the armor on, it will looks 'fine'.
My main issue with this isn't so much the looks, I actually don't mind the hip placement, but the fact the intakes, since they are placed higher than on the model, are prone to scratching off the paint from the LERX's. It's annoying to try to angle the hips out more to avoid scratching the LERX paint while posing.

OK I went with a satin finish and W :blink: W! It looks simply amazing. I knew it would make the unpainted plastic look better but I really did not expect this much of a difference. The yellow highlights are now the same texture as the rest of the armor as a nice little bonus. So far I have only done the armor. Right now I cannot find my modeling knife so I am unable to mask off the canopy on the messiah itself. If it is within your skill set to give yours a coat I encourage you to do so. I cannot explain the difference it makes. The coat will help with paint scrapes and chips as well.

For those with forearm armor problems the additional texture and thickness will give a tighter grip. I know when I first saw how the forearm armor attached I was a little skeptical. After attaching I did a few pulls to see how much force was needed and it did not seem like much. Surprisingly neither fell off after 2 transformation cycles. Now the force need to remove the forearm armor is noticeably greater. Once I do the actual arms tomorrow it should be that much firmer. Just a added bonus to the sexy.

Edited by ATLMYK

Well after transforming this beast to fighter mode I came up this conclusion: screw the forearm armor! Popped off so many times while i was also struggling to shove the wing grooves into the leg armor. <_< So I ended up transforming the the thing without the crotch and forearm armor on. Additionally to my horror once again the shoulder armor that connects to the upper chest region has developed stress marks at the ball joint just like the super packs! <_<. Even when I'm being as gentle as possible bam stress marks on those damn shoulder missile pods. Oh yeah did I mention that it takes an overly excessive force to shove those damn wing grooves into the leg armor? Ok bit*hing aside, the VF-25S looks great in fighter mode and I'm enjoying swooshing it around my office. However, I'm not sure exactly how long those peg/ ball joint connectors for the shoulder armor will last, lately i found a way by propping the ball joint upwards with a chopstick to reduce the stress of the joint when I'm taking it off. Has anyone else been getting stress marks on the connectors of the shoulder armor?

Well after transforming this beast to fighter mode I came up this conclusion: screw the forearm armor! Popped off so many times while i was also struggling to shove the wing grooves into the leg armor. <_< So I ended up transforming the the thing without the crotch and forearm armor on. Additionally to my horror once again the shoulder armor that connects to the upper chest region has developed stress marks at the ball joint just like the super packs! <_<. Even when I'm being as gentle as possible bam stress marks on those damn shoulder missile pods. Oh yeah did I mention that it takes an overly excessive force to shove those damn wing grooves into the leg armor? Ok bit*hing aside, the VF-25S looks great in fighter mode and I'm enjoying swooshing it around my office. However, I'm not sure exactly how long those peg/ ball joint connectors for the shoulder armor will last, lately i found a way by propping the ball joint upwards with a chopstick to reduce the stress of the joint when I'm taking it off. Has anyone else been getting stress marks on the connectors of the shoulder armor?

Could you post a pic of the stress mark on the ball joint? I tried looking for them on mine and couldn't find any (either that or I'm blind). What's worse is that I've always been casual about popping the thing on and off my Messiahs :wacko: However, I've always done so by gripping on the strut as close to the ball joint when pulling it out and pushing directly on top of the ball joint (again on the strut) when putting it on.

Edited by todd77

Yeah it's like if you want the model, you are paying a bit under $100($80+shipping from what I've seen), and $200 or a bit under/over give or take, for the toy.My main issue with this isn't so much the looks, I actually don't mind the hip placement, but the fact the intakes, since they are placed higher than on the model, are prone to scratching off the paint from the LERX's. It's annoying to try to angle the hips out more to avoid scratching the LERX paint while posing.

Actually the model kit is about 80USD, and 20USD for SAL, 40 for EMS. I wouldn't really know about the toy price exactly, but I think you're understating it a bit there since the basic VF-25S without armor is around that price.

For some of you 1/60 VF-25S owners, when you guys took out the Ozma's Messiah from the styrofoam and extended the wing...were they a little bent upwards when fully extended? When I took mine out yesterday, it looks like the VF-25S is doing a hard G turn.

For some of you 1/60 VF-25S owners, when you guys took out the Ozma's Messiah from the styrofoam and extended the wing...were they a little bent upwards when fully extended? When I took mine out yesterday, it looks like the VF-25S is doing a hard G turn.

Yes and I am pretty sure they all have since the vf-25g I think. I think it looks good that way when I zoom it around the room or have it in the stand in a banking turn.

Got mine two days ago thanks to Anime Export. They are my new heroes, to be certain.

Anyway, I cannot believe that there is simply no way to mount the gunpod in armored fighter mode. Seriously. Anybody thinking of doing a longer recast of the gunpod holder which will be able to accomplish this? It's driving me crazy already. I'd also be interested if anyone has seen a custom head-peg extender which can telescope and allow for transformation in all 3 modes.

While I like this thing, it's my first DX and I definitely have some issues with it. I'm so rarely able to make high-dollar toy purchases, so the only other thing from this past year I can compare this to is the Beagle Ridearmor. The funny thing to me is that in concept, the Ridearmor uses so much anime magic that it shouldn't work at all... and yet the Beagle one does. Not only does it work, it is like my very pinnacle of transforming toys now. The transformation of the VF-25S conceptually should work with little trouble, but the execution is quite problematic. I can't help but wonder if we'll ever see a better one.

Got mine two days ago thanks to Anime Export. They are my new heroes, to be certain.

Anyway, I cannot believe that there is simply no way to mount the gunpod in armored fighter mode. Seriously. Anybody thinking of doing a longer recast of the gunpod holder which will be able to accomplish this? It's driving me crazy already. I'd also be interested if anyone has seen a custom head-peg extender which can telescope and allow for transformation in all 3 modes.

While I like this thing, it's my first DX and I definitely have some issues with it. I'm so rarely able to make high-dollar toy purchases, so the only other thing from this past year I can compare this to is the Beagle Ridearmor. The funny thing to me is that in concept, the Ridearmor uses so much anime magic that it shouldn't work at all... and yet the Beagle one does. Not only does it work, it is like my very pinnacle of transforming toys now. The transformation of the VF-25S conceptually should work with little trouble, but the execution is quite problematic. I can't help but wonder if we'll ever see a better one.

Wait. You can't mount the gunpod in Fighter Mode?

Actually you can. It's a very tight squeeze though and usually results in one of the nacelles not being as high up as the other. Just slip in the gunpod like normal BEFORE locking the legs to the wings. Officially though, I don't think you're supposed to mount the gunpod in fighter mode. Here's a pic:

post-5445-1250967868_thumb.jpg

Edited by todd77

The funny thing to me is that in concept, the Ridearmor uses so much anime magic that it shouldn't work at all... and yet the Beagle one does. Not only does it work, it is like my very pinnacle of transforming toys now. The transformation of the VF-25S conceptually should work with little trouble, but the execution is quite problematic. I can't help but wonder if we'll ever see a better one.

It is quite the opposite. The ride armor is so simple. A couple of steps and you just attach the bike to another action figure. You probably custom make one for Halloween if you put some time into it. The old chunky monkey has a more complicated transformation sequence than the ride armor. The VF-25 is far more complex.

Ok so here is a picture of the stress mark on the ball joint of the shoulder armor with missile pods and yes there on both shoulders. This same stress mark has plagued my super pack as well yet nothing is broken so far after 10 or so transformations. Just be very careful how you put in the shoulder armor and how you take it out.

post-5389-1250968707_thumb.jpg

Ok so here is a picture of the stress mark on the ball joint of the shoulder armor with missile pods and yes there on both shoulders. This same stress mark has plagued my super pack as well yet nothing is broken so far after 10 or so transformations. Just be very careful how you put in the shoulder armor and how you take it out.

Yup, found one on one of the missile pods. The other is still fine. The one that I found is quite tiny though. Hope it doesn't get worse :(

Actually the model kit is about 80USD, and 20USD for SAL, 40 for EMS. I wouldn't really know about the toy price exactly, but I think you're understating it a bit there since the basic VF-25S without armor is around that price.
I meant prices for the Armored Messiah models and toys, taking shipping into account, you are paying about $100 give or take for the model.
I can't help but wonder if we'll ever see a better one.
I wouldn't be surprised if Bandai made an all new set of VF-25 toys next year, completely redesigned.

Some pics of my DX Armored Messiah VF-25S:

3846521431_d1ea91d42f_b.jpg

3846521507_95c15b605d_b.jpg

3846521607_dd5dd2db72_b.jpg

3847311606_0a3ced4c34_b.jpg

Highly recommended, love the armor parts, can stand on its own, everything holds in place, and great for display. No bad comments except the articulation and should have more details. :)

vic01

I meant prices for the Armored Messiah models and toys, taking shipping into account, you are paying about $100 give or take for the model.I wouldn't be surprised if Bandai made an all new set of VF-25 toys next year, completely redesigned.

Bandai will release a new set of "movie" version VF25s, and probably more Tamashii Exclusives. It already has lots of practice milking fans of their Gundam line. :lol:

Edited by blacklotus

Bandai definitely will release a new set of "movie" version VF25s, and probably more Tamashii Exclusives. It already has lots of practice milking fans of their Gundam line. :lol:

I just don't seem them releasing a complete resculpt though. If they were the MF movie line would have been the perfect excuse for it but we're just getting repaints.

I just don't seem them releasing a complete resculpt though. If they were the MF movie line would have been the perfect excuse for it but we're just getting repaints.

Probably just a colour change for the VF25, but the movie may add new gadgets and weapons for the VF25. Bandai will probably release them as add-ons (hopefully) or worse, re-release the VF25 with the new weapons and sell as a complete package (aka Doreamon the Movie edition with those movie only gadgets and the baby dino) :angry:

Yup. I'm still angry with Bandai for pulling that stunt: not sell to owners of the Doreamon just an accessory pack but "force" us to buy another Doreamon just to get those movie only gadgets.

I just don't seem them releasing a complete resculpt though.
I can. They've milked EVA and other anime series aside from Gundam before, and being that they sponsored Frontier and have the 1/60 license as well as 1/100, 1/72, 1/48, et al, I don't see them stopping.

I like the sculpt of the DX but I would like to see an anime accurate one eventually, not so much for the looks but because of the arguably better handling qualities. The model which is based on the show has superior articulation/range of motion and other things that I prefer.

I can. They've milked EVA and other anime series aside from Gundam before, and being that they sponsored Frontier and have the 1/60 license as well as 1/100, 1/72, 1/48, et al, I don't see them stopping.

I like the sculpt of the DX but I would like to see an anime accurate one eventually, not so much for the looks but because of the arguably better handling qualities. The model which is based on the show has superior articulation/range of motion and other things that I prefer.

Well, I should have added "so soon". I'm sure if MF continues to be popular bandai will revisit and continue to milk the license... but release a completely new sculpt right after they release a repaint of the original mold?

I do see them doing stuff like adding the mat texture to the molds and re-releasing the line that way.

Oh yeah did I mention that it takes an overly excessive force to shove those damn wing grooves into the leg armor?

If you are doing it correctly, i.e. angling ang wiggling the wing root pegs to get them into the holes, you don't need to use force.

Graham

If you are doing it correctly, i.e. angling ang wiggling the wing root pegs to get them into the holes, you don't need to use force.

Graham

True after fiddling with a little longer its still kind of a pain to make the two connect, but yes less force is needed. By chance Graham do you have any stress marks in the ball joint of the shoulder armor/ missile pods?

Wait. You can't mount the gunpod in Fighter Mode?

Yes, it can.

Here's the pics I posted back in the old thread on August 12th, before it was closed for becoming too long.

The way I do it, is I first lock one leg armor in place, then put the gunpod in it's normal place, with the gunpod connector in its normal hole, then lock the other leg in place.

Easy.

Graham

post-11-1251017223_thumb.jpg

post-11-1251017259_thumb.jpg