Hasegawa VF-0D build

TER-OR

Hey guys, it's been a while but I finally finished another Macross model.

I haven't written the article yet, but will do so once I'm back from the IPMS Nationals. Here's Hasegawa's very nice VF-0D kit.

It's painted in Gunze-Sangyo and Tamiya WW2 US Navy colors - medium gray and medium blue shaded with Blue FS 15050 (Blue Angels Blue). The gray is shaded with a lighter tone and the blue is faded with a lighter blue in splotches on the upper surfaces to simulate uneven wear common on naval aircraft. I use a multi-pass shading technique trying to give wear and grime etc. The last pass is the base color again to "erase" the overdone weathering where necessary. It's a little overdone on anime planes, but I go with it...

The bottles and gear wells are painted with white, then glazed with India Ink in Future - which sucks down into the recesses very nicely for a sharp but not stark delineation. Cockpit details are from an F-18E photoetch set, some gleaned and scratchbuilt details as well. The ordinance of course is from the VF-1 weapons set.

See more images on my Flickr site:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ter-or/sets/72157621852173999/

I'll post better pictures of my QF-11 drone later - I need to crop them etc.

post-1124-1249959198_thumb.jpg

post-1124-1249959126_thumb.jpg

That looks awesome! I love your work in progress pics on your flikr site too. Looks like you spent some serious time and effort on this. Your attention to detail is amazing - especially liked the cockpit treatment. The dry brushing on the "dashboard" (no idea what the real term is for that part on a jet) looks great!

That looks awesome! I love your work in progress pics on your flikr site too. Looks like you spent some serious time and effort on this. Your attention to detail is amazing - especially liked the cockpit treatment. The dry brushing on the "dashboard" (no idea what the real term is for that part on a jet) looks great!

It's called a cowling. It's a combination of the standard Tire Black paint, a dilute black ink wash and very light drybrushing. The HUD projector is painted chrome with clear green over. I still haven't found any HUD display panel treatment that looks better than leaving it clear, though.