evangelion

VF-1D

I liked the first few episodes of Evangelion only as it seemed like a great homage to the classic 'monster of the week' super robot animes of the 70's which I grew up with. However, IMO it rapidly went downhill as it devolved into psycho-babble territory.

I also found Shinji increbily annoying as a character. As I get older, I find that I am less and less able to stomach anime that features neurotic, angst-ridden, whiny brats as the main character. Rei was cute though! :p

I'm also not a fan of organic looking mecha, especially purple ones wearing lime-green spats on their shoes. Give me realistic looking military mecha any day, like VFs, ATs, TA's, Labors, Landmates etc.

Graham

I liked the first few episodes of Evangelion only as it seemed like a great homage to the classic 'monster of the week' super robot animes of the 70's which I grew up with. However, IMO it rapidly went downhill as it devolved into psycho-babble territory.

Here here. I agree that the value of the show lay in it being a parody of the super robot genre. In addition to the psychobabble and faux religious icons, the fans have been a real turn-off to the show for me.

It's a memorable anime with excellent character (albeit extremely moody at times) and mecha designs. It's takes a couple of episodes before most of the main characters are introduced. But, once all the characters are in place it's a GREAT ride.

The final movie (End of Evangelion) WILL screw with your head. :ph34r:

post-26-1068692660.jpg

It's a memorable anime with excellent character (albeit extremely moody at times) and mecha designs. It's takes a couple of episodes before most of the main characters are introduced. But, once all the characters are in place it's a GREAT ride.

The final movie (End of Evangelion) WILL screw with your head. :ph34r:

I agree. I absolutely loved this series, and EoE left me drained in a way that VERY few movies (anime or otherwise) have before or since. You do have to watch it for a while before it REALLY hooks you, but if you stick around until the end (and I mean EoE - not the series), you'll be just blown away.

The final movie (End of Evangelion) WILL screw with your head.  :ph34r:

Actually, EoE made soooooooooo much more sense to me than the last two eps. Most of the last two eps I spent in a constant state of :blink:

However, EoE made it all crystal clear.

Edited by Mechamaniac

Eva is one of my favorite series. My only complaint was the way shinji degenerated in the movie. Great stuff the rest of the ride.

The manga kicks ass too, with even more character depth thrown in, and a slightly bigger spine for shinji.

Edited by Anubis

Director Hideaki Anno sure seems to know how to press the emotional buttons of his faitful viewers, BUT he just can't seem to bring a series to a good conclusion. Not on the first take anyway!

I just recently watched Karekano, and fell in love with the characters and honest story telling... only to have the bottom ripped out with a totally inept ending. I didn't get to see the fruition of several plot developments that had been building up over the last 4 or 5 episodes. Grrrrrr! Eva dejavu. Only the beautiful music soothes my senses.

The Tv series was great until the FATAL ERROR of the last episode. Shinji introstepction's drama scenarized by only drawings :blink: first time i saw it i thought it was something like a bonus episode and not the true final stage (get really sick when i realized it was the true ending) :(

IMO the movies suffer from the same disease. It start great, cool scenario and great action ( asuka's fight versus the winged evas :rolleyes: ) it seemed to give a real ending but at the last minutes Bam ! An other tortured ending (GodziREi is holdnig the earth and so and so)

anyway, ti stays as one of my favorite anime serie therefore the deception of the end. "Un chef d'oeuvre inachevé" Unfinished masterpiece.

Yes, they did blow it big time on KareKano.... word is that Gainax wanted to stress the comedy aspect more, when the story is actually a romance.... The author (Tsuda Masami) got pissed and would not allow Gainax to continue the anime.

I was pretty let down by the end of that series....

Edited by gnollman

hmmm...I got thru about half the TV series. Then, I got unemployed, no money, so I had to stop buying the DVDs when they were coming out individually. It was ok, I'm not much for the "monster of the week" episodes. Later, I was able to download D&R and EoE. Heh, I found out I didn't need to waste my time with the TV episodes as they were summed up in D&R. I actually liked EoE better than the TV series. Gerade meine zwei Cents. :)

I like EVA, I don't like the ending though. I never understodd the movie or the last 2 eps, after watching those I spent the next 2 days smashing my head against the wall trying to figure them out. I like Rei, the Mass Production Evas, NERV's base, the Spear of Longinus and Pen Pen. The rest was kinda blah, and Shinji really bugged me.

It's that damn theme song... While I was watching the series, it kept going thru my head. I kinda liked it though! :lol:

While I prefer the Gasaraki mechs, Eva was a better series and the Mech design was a fresh change...

Edited by >EXO<

At first I hated this anime because I thought the original ending just sucked...But NOW it's probably my fave. It only took me a few years to really appreciate how groundbreaking this anime really is... (Granted, I was kinda naive back then and didn't realize that anime could get so complicated with character developement and artsy stuff---I used to watch the cool robots and the seizure causing 'purdy' colors :p ).

I can relate with those that felt ripped off though- we stuck with the series even with the obvious change in pacing and all the weirdness and our only reward was a rushed ending with animated stick figures and no big fight scene to top the first few episodes?!!...I decided to forget about EVA for a few years... that is until all the talk about the anticipated movies coming to DVD in the US. I was interested in how a new ending could possibly fix this anime's problems, and so I began doing some research on the net and I was blown away by all the rumors and stuff I never knew. It was the behind the scenes stuff that sucked me back in, mainly realizing Anno's psychological state when he was working on the series. I was taking a course in college psychology at the time which may have helped in me wanting to go back and give the series a chance. Soon, I caught myself enjoying the anime (my friend had the DVD set so I was lucky I could jump back in) because it really is a glimpse into a person's mind, and maybe your own on how you relate to things [i know some people are saying you can do that with anything but in reality not many books or anime interest me like this]. Since I was a little bit more 'edumacated' with all that analyzing crap you learn in college, I caught my self catching new things (like mama's soul in the Eva) and then making my own interpretations and comparing those with what I had read on the net. YES I'm still confused as hell with some stuff, but everytime I sit down to watch some episodes (especially the original endings I despised and the EOE movie), I find myself either sticking with my original interpretations or trying to understand other people's and sometimes changing my own.

I'm not saying this anime gives me the meaning of life, its the stuff like it was supposed to be a 70-80's Giant robot parody(with love triangels, father figure-scientist--son-pilot like in maz or voltesV); or Anno designed his mecha to not be re-created as toys and marketed for merchandising (yet now are kits, toys, VGs and SOCs); and Anno trying to screw Gainax or his fans that hated the original ending with the new endings but its still praised...Yups maybe I'm just weird but its stuff like this and the 'psycho babble' that NOW make this anime real fun for me.

BTW, I got my 10 yr old niece watching this anime...she currently likes the school girls piloting the giant robots concept but I'm waiting to see how she will react when things slow down and turn weird. :lol: Maybe I shoulda started her out with SakuraWars.

Edited by GDomino

watch 4 fansub eps of EVA on VHS

Got hooked,, watch the rest.

:angry: $#@!!, eps 25 and 26

:angry: $#@!, $#!@@.@!!@@###

Got some posters, models, etc :)

:lol: Death and rebirth came out.. saw it on fansub.. it was finally getting good and then to be continue

:angry: #$@!@, $#@!!.!@#@@@@@.!!!@###@

:lol: Then End of EVA cam out,, fansub,, Er.....ok i guess,, rewatch ep 25 and 26,, then the whole series. and the 2 movies.. ok.. good enough.. don't what to think about it .. :unsure:

:D got more models,, some hentai's :p ,

then got the official Dvd box set. and 2 movies..

I love and hate EVA at the same time. :unsure:

I love it too. It is the only anime series that I was willing to cough up the money in order to buy in completion. Shinji's voice and character still grates my nerves, but you can't deny the quality of the series.

Bashers, please schedule an appointment with me to have your mouth attached to either of the exhaust pipes on my car, and remember to breathe in deeply....

I admire Evangelion; I'm not entirely sure I like it. I've just been getting the chance to see it in Japanese for the first time ( UK anime DVD releases - they no longer suck, but we've got quite a bit of catching up to do...! ) and I've been able to pick up on a couple of little language things you might not get from the dub.

I do really admire Hideki Anno for the way he completely deconstructed the mecha genre with Evangelion ( I also find it amusing that Evangelion is often ignored as actually being a mecha show...! ); nothing has really been able to be the same since, and it should not actually be possible to release something like Gundam SEED after something like Evangelion! :rolleyes: [1]

[1] I find SEED cynical, unoriginal, and rather lacking in original thought. On the other hand, I can't stop watching it. It has something, even if its someones elses...! :p

Edit: typo.

Edited by F-ZeroOne

Oh, one thing I feel I must say; while, like Graham, I tend to prefer more robotic mecha designs, I think the Eva designs were clever not for what they looked like but for what they did. Other mecha run; Evas sprint, for example, and Anno was able to take advantage of their semi-organic design in other ways - when an Eva has its arm twisted right round, you feel it that it really hurts...!

It is easily my favorite anime, tied with Macross. I understand all of the complaints - too moody, too psycho-babbly, mecha too organic... but those are the things that make the show work for me.

I love that it was so different and so similar to years of giant robot anime. The characterization is rich and completely antithetical (hence the "I hate Shinji the whiner" common complaint) and the story itself is murky and confusing.

To be honest, I'm surprised it's as popular as it is.

I just recently watched Karekano, and fell in love with the characters and honest story telling... only to have the bottom ripped out with a totally inept ending. I didn't get to see the fruition of several plot developments that had been building up over the last 4 or 5 episodes. Grrrrrr! Eva dejavu. Only the beautiful music soothes my senses.

Amusingly enough, Anno was fired about two-thirds the way through the series. Everything from episode 17 on was directed by someone else (name escapes me).

I have few questions.

Which Eva should I watch (OVA, series, etc) first? I know that EVA and Gundam are one of those anime that are highly regarded. I would like to watch it when I do have time, but, which should I watch first?

Secondly (This is off of topic), which Gundam series is the first one? and same line of question as EVA. Which one should I watch first?

I apprecaite some feedbacks.

Thank you,