Whats the next macross series?

Speculating: the current threat is terrorism so who knows the next Macross could be about a UN spacy unit on a peace keeping mission to a failed colony. The enemy uses guerilla tactics and older mecha. The idol singer could be a local girl trying to start a singing carreer against the background of a civil war.

That's almost the plot of VF-X game. Idols get kidnapped by rebel Zentradi with supped up equipment at an abandoned colony. You go all over the place and in space to find them all. While kicking Zentradi ass.

War as a theme has been used again and again. I wouldn't mind a cop genre Macross in the vain of Patlabor. We've seen a glimps of it in Macross Dymamite 7 with Zola Patrol vs pirates/robbers/poachers and arms smugglers. Also add a bit of mystery that will be the series arc focus and leading to the climax.

Could you provide some proof for the existence of "Ohnogi Macross novels," please?

Ohnogi was one of the concept writers of SDFM.

I believe I read about the account on the Zentradi being oppressed in the novels or short story somewhere in this thread at the time of Frontier episode 12 or 13.

http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=45779

We were discussing about Zentradi that didn't fit in.

I probably got it wrong but I made a connection to Ohnogi because he's the one who wrote the SDFM scenario and he's a novelist.

I haven't exactly heard either his buddies Kawamori and Miyatake having wrote a novel in their career.

Ohnogi was one of the concept writers of SDFM.

I believe I read about the account on the Zentradi being oppressed in the novels or short story somewhere in this thread at the time of Frontier episode 12 or 13.

http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=45779

*tap Tap tap*. DMY. You might want to read the end of that thread on AS and our own mirror thread before you bring up "Ohnogi novels" again. :D

How about this...

Since it's en vogue to do prequels nowadays...how about a Macross series covering the height of the Protoculture and the Schism War between the Supervision Army and the Zentraedi/Meltrandi? I'd love to see an "origins" story like that. It'd cover a lot of as-of-yet untouched Macross history (or prehistory, as the case may be). Exedol specifically remarks on how their culture had been reawakened after 500,000 years...so a prequel covering the events of how their culture was robbed from them that long ago would be an interesting story to tell...

And of course it'd have to include the origins of "Ai Oboete Imasu Ka" and the first person who sang it to tie everything together, or it just wouldn't be a Macross series. Minmay sang it in DYRL, Ranka in Macross F...so there HAD to be an original Protoculture singer/performer who made it so culturally significant to the Zentraedi. I'd love to know about her...

Edited by Cyclone Trooper

There are a LOT of fleets that we don't know anything about...

Yes but fleets with New Macross Class vessels get at least a cameo or mention except for Macross 3.

Macross 1 - M7 episode 1

Macross 5 - M7 episode 26

Macross 7 - nuff said

Macross 9 - Macross Generation drama

Macross 11- English Anticipation manga and MFrontier episode 25

We know Macross 3 exists but we don't know any scrap of information about it.

How about this...

Since it's en vogue to do prequels nowadays...how about a Macross series covering the height of the Protoculture and the Schism War between the Supervision Army and the Zentraedi/Meltrandi? I'd love to see an "origins" story like that. It'd cover a lot of as-of-yet untouched Macross history (or prehistory, as the case may be). Exedol specifically remarks on how their culture had been reawakened after 500,000 years...so a prequel covering the events of how their culture was robbed from them that long ago would be an interesting story to tell...

And of course it'd have to include the origins of "Ai Oboete Imasu Ka" and the first person who sang it to tie everything together, or it just wouldn't be a Macross series. Minmay sang it in DYRL, Ranka in Macross F...so there HAD to be an original Protoculture singer/performer who made it so culturally significant to the Zentraedi. I'd love to know about her...

I thought to point of DYRL was that there was NOTHING special or significant about "Ai Oboete Imasuka." As Misa said...it was just something they listened to, a long time ago. Just a normal love song.

Yes but fleets with New Macross Class vessels get at least a cameo or mention except for Macross 3.

Macross 1 - M7 episode 1

Macross 5 - M7 episode 26

Macross 7 - nuff said

Macross 9 - Macross Generation drama

Macross 11- English Anticipation manga and MFrontier episode 25

We know Macross 3 exists but we don't know any scrap of information about it.

There is no evidence to support your hypothesis that there are only odd numbered fleets, stop posting it as though it were fact.

Edited by Sketch

This time, I don't think RedWolf is saying that...I think he's just mentioning the fleets of which we're all aware.

Then I retract my statement. Nothing to see here people ;)

On the note of emigration fleets; while Macross 7 and Frontier both did an excellent job of fully fleshing-out their environments, I'd like to see a series that doesn't focus on the emigration efforts. Zola from Dynamite 7 was a breath of fresh air, and knowing Kawamori's vibrant imagination and love of setting design I reckon he could come up with dozens of way-cool backwater planets.

Then I retract my statement. Nothing to see here people ;)

On the note of emigration fleets; while Macross 7 and Frontier both did an excellent job of fully fleshing-out their environments, I'd like to see a series that doesn't focus on the emigration efforts. Zola from Dynamite 7 was a breath of fresh air, and knowing Kawamori's vibrant imagination and love of setting design I reckon he could come up with dozens of way-cool backwater planets.

I kinda agree about enough with the emigration fleets for now, but i'd like to see what's going on with earth. Chronologically, flashback was the last time a macross story take place on earth (i dont really consider the last episode of plus 'really' being about earth). See whats happening with the UN gov't. I'd like to have it explained why the NUNS forces have had a decrease in quality since M7. Perhaps the emigration project is slowly bankrupting the capital, thus leading to a decrease in military spending.

Macross Plus got it completely right. On all levels. The franchise has been almost completely lacking in maturity and intelligence since it came out.

THIS.

Until Frontier came out, SDFM was the only series I liked, I couldn't even watch more than 3 episodes of M7 (Or M7 Dynamite) due to all the ludicrous happy personry the series seemed to be chock full of. I watched those episodes hoping it would get better, but I should have known from the first episode that there was no way in hell I was ever gonna like it.

In my mind, M7 NEVER HAPPENED. And that part in Frontier where Bobby mentions Basara, is due to him coming to the bridge completely blitzed out of his mind off a combination of 2050's equivalent of Prozac and Jack Daniels. :p

I'm in for any new Macross series that doesn't contain any of the ridiculous horses#it that M7 contained as long as the plot is good and the characters are interesting.

-Kyp

due to all the ludicrous happy personry the series seemed to be chock full of.

I find it funny that 4chan is more likely to have a civilized conversation about Macross than Macrossworld.com.

edit; also homophobia is soooo 1990's

Edited by Sketch

Everyone knows, the next series is going to feature basara on his musical career instead of him trying again to change everyone's mind, this will feature new music such as planet dance.... and also planet dance..... also the pilot episode will be 5 hours of nothing but... planet dance. At certain points of the story it will show that you have to buy more macross products but it wont be the fire valk or any valk from any of the series, it will be products for guitar hero 4 basara edition where the only song it has is... planet dance but it comes with a replica guitar that basara uses. maybe hallmark cards that plays planet dance when you open it.

in all of reality, frontier seems to be linked to zero while zero was kinda linked to sdf:m so the next one will some how be linked to frontier.

in all of reality, frontier seems to be linked to zero while zero was kinda linked to sdf:m so the next one will some how be linked to frontier.

I think the link between Frontier and Zero was to boost sales of the Macross Zero BRD set, not that I have a problem with that, the tie-in was pretty well done.

I haven't read all of the post here so if this has been mentioned then i am terribly sorry but what if the original SDFM was redone with the higher quality of aimation these days? I've seen multiple series have this treatment done to them so why not update a classic.

Just think they could use the squadron markings from DYRL (so skull squad. from SDFM would actually be skull squad.) and there would just be so much good eye candy ^_^

we can dream.......

oh and they could give the squadrons VF-4 update towards the end of the series.....i know its not really historically accurate but would be damn cool!!!

now i'm dreaming/////

• 2 weeks later...
I thought to point of DYRL was that there was NOTHING special or significant about "Ai Oboete Imasuka." As Misa said...it was just something they listened to, a long time ago. Just a normal love song.

That and DYRL is a historical drama in series cannon. So Ai Oboete Imasuka isn't a protoculture song to begin with....not that it's hard to hand wave as racial memory or something.

Like perhaps something involving Magical Girls who turn into animals...? ;)

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encycloped...me.php?id=11028

Or reto-car-robots that play basketball the gods' sport! and save the earth (I assume...things could go horribly wrong at this point I guess..but this ain't a gainax production)

Edited by Rbstr

That and DYRL is a historical drama in series cannon. So Ai Oboete Imasuka isn't a protoculture song to begin with....not that it's hard to hand wave as racial memory or something.

Well...yeah, but that's just sidestepping Cyclone Trooper's original point. Canon in Macross is overrated anyway, and not terribly helpful. It's good for making timelines, but that's about it.

Anyway, how do you know that somewhere between 2012 and 2030, someone DIDN'T find a little sound card for an old Protoculture song...and then they decided to write it in to the "Space War I" movie they were making... ;)

From where? One of those 17 Protoculture planets found. That we know of...

UN Spacy had two missions on two planets classified Top Secret. The Varauta prison planet and the New Asia in the M3 game.

Varauta had the Protodevlin , New Asia had a secret UN Spacy bioweapons facility making giant bugs.

The setting of an old Protoculture city or one of those mentioned Protoculture bunches (space colonies I think) could be a great setting.

From where?

How much of DYRL is supposed to be "fictional"? Are there no Bodolzaa-like fortresses? No Protoculture cities under the sea? We have no idea.

I would imagine that a Protoculture city MUST have been found (if we're taking DYRL as "just a movie" and Macross 7 as canon) since the Altira city from DYRL looked awfully similar to the temple on Planet Lux.

Either that, or some very old Zentradi could've been keeping it in his pocket all this time...

How much of DYRL is supposed to be "fictional"? Are there no Bodolzaa-like fortresses? No Protoculture cities under the sea? We have no idea.

I would imagine that a Protoculture city MUST have been found (if we're taking DYRL as "just a movie" and Macross 7 as canon) since the Altira city from DYRL looked awfully similar to the temple on Planet Lux.

Either that, or some very old Zentradi could've been keeping it in his pocket all this time...

Gubaba - check out the Ohgnogi Macross novels on this point. His novels clear up this problem of the discrepency between DYRL and SDFM TV pretty well.

Pete

It's explicitly the case that Protoculture cities/relics/ruins have been found, but it's just much less clear whether they've been found on Earth outside of DYRL. If nothing else, the events of Macross Zero being kept classified until the 2050s suggests that no other Protoculture relics were found on Earth, or that they were also kept secret. Or at least, I think there's really less reason why those events would have stayed so secret for so long if Protoculture ruins on earth and a special ancient song were not just uncovered but featured in a major motion picture.

Anyway, how do you know that somewhere between 2012 and 2030, someone DIDN'T find a little sound card for an old Protoculture song...and then they decided to write it in to the "Space War I" movie they were making... ;)

OR maybe when they found the sound card for the song, the powers that be took it as a sign to FINALLY make a film about SW1? Thank god they found that soundcard. otherwise, DYRL wouldn't have been made, and it wouldn't have won 10,000 oscar awards in the 2040s. :)