Plot twisting, plot twisting. Idisagree that it was a stinky one. In fact, it's completely expected - as in, ALL of the other Stargate episodes have had a cliffhangar between seasons.

Nevertheless, I like the solution for the guy getting fried in #19. I'm not sure if those things work that fast, and in that exact way, but it's a logical solution and saves us from the more boring deus ex machina.

When does the second season start?

The cliffhanger pretty much stunk. Colonel Young ought to be taken out and shot for gross stupidity. No way in Hades a competent military commander would ever allow things to get so far out of hand.

I mean the stupid meter hit about 1000% (and that is not a typo).

We already know he was a disgrace after finding out that he slept with a Female Subordinate and got her pregnant.

We already know he was a disgrace after finding out that he slept with a Female Subordinate and got her pregnant.

Not 100% on the rules of fraternization of the Air Force, but generally Officer & Officer is fine... since TJ is a lieutenant no rules were really broken there :) ...the bigger issue is that he's married lol.

It's one thing to have moral failings, and from a plot and character perspective it can be good

But to have a military officer give up his only advantage and all his weapons to a group that has already killed a hostage is beyond stupid. It's unforgivably lazy writing.

Not 100% on the rules of fraternization of the Air Force, but generally Officer & Officer is fine... since TJ is a lieutenant no rules were really broken there :) ...the bigger issue is that he's married lol.

He was her commanding officer I thought it was against the rules for a commanding officer to fraternize with some one under their direct command. isn't that why O'Neill and Carter never got together during the series.

He was her commanding officer I thought it was against the rules for a commanding officer to fraternize with some one under their direct command. isn't that why O'Neill and Carter never got together during the series.

Nah - that's just US TV's constant teasing while never consumating a relationship. The idea being that the instant they did the chemistry would be gone. (with notable exceptions of course, and shows since SG-1 have gone off the air have pretty much ignored the rule)

I'm regurgitating from a PoliSci class that had a short section on this. As it's been 6+ years, my memory is either fuzzy, but here is what I remember.

Fraternization, which includes a wide range of activities ranging from business type stuff to personal relationships, between an officer and enlisted personnel is just not allowed, period, for 99.99999% of all situation and cases.

Fraternization between officers as it pertains to personal relationships is frowned upon, but not specifically an "offense" unless said relationship leads to some sort of preferential treatment, negatively affecting the operations of the unit, or lead to unethical behavior.

As for why, we never saw O'Neill & Carter, and other pairings is as other posters described - it would affect the dynamic of the show. In real life though, and in almost any professional situation, working with a "significant other" can sometimes just feel plain awkward and strange.

From this perspective, I can't say that Young acted unethically based on the fact that he knocked up someone. He has never shown any preferential treatment towards TJ as evidenced by the fact that he remains stone-cold even when he found out she is among the captured. As for his decision-making abilities, that is pretty open to criticism. But I think that's the goal of the character, to be more "edgy" rather then the Captain America type leaders who always act ethically, make the correct call 100% of the time. (After all, this show is really trying to be Stargate Galactica).

Edited by Ghost Train

Fraternization, which includes a wide range of activities ranging from business type stuff to personal relationships, between an officer and enlisted personnel is just not allowed, period, for 99.99999% of all situation and cases.

The only exception to the rule I can think of is if the two are married (which would have to happen before one of them entered the service), or if they are known to be in a relationship as enlisted personell and one of them becomes a mustang (slang for an enlisted person becoming an officer)

(...) But I think that's the goal of the character, to be more "edgy" rather then the Captain America type leaders who always act ethically, make the correct call 100% of the time. (After all, this show is really trying to be Stargate Galactica).

Which is something I REALLY dislike about the show. Stargate = using a stargate to travel, no?

Looking back, I believe I dislike #20. Not for the decisions, etc., but because it just wasn't fun. Even the bloodshed was a little too much. Yes, it hammered home the "this show is serious" message. But it looks like the producers have forgotten why SG1 lasted 10 seasons and SGA lasted 5 - the viewers want escapist silliness! For serious stuff, I read the news.

Anyhow, I don't think that the decision to surrender was "lazy writing" or "bad decision making". The show went to great lengths to make the point that there is a time limit, as well as that the "heroes" planned to double-cross the alliance. The show also showed us many times that Young's double-crosses don't pan out with the Alliance's leader. Therefore, what I didn't like about the ending was that it was predictable. In fact, the only thing that took me by surprise was what happened to Telford and the Alliance's leader.

Anyhow, I don't think that the decision to surrender was "lazy writing" or "bad decision making". The show went to great lengths to make the point that there is a time limit, as well as that the "heroes" planned to double-cross the alliance.

Still lazy writing, "we need to get them into a worse situation, let's have leader make an even stupider decision then he already has! We can have him plan a double cross which fails, instead of doing the only reasonable move he has left - attacking the enemy NOW"

The show also showed us many times that Young's double-crosses don't pan out with the Alliance's leader. Therefore, what I didn't like about the ending was that it was predictable. In fact, the only thing that took me by surprise was what happened to Telford and the Alliance's leader.

If they use the even more despicable second in command to make the lady that was in command "acceptable" as a full time character next season I'll scream. There is no way either side will let the other side stay on the ship. The Lucien Alliance people will kill our heroes (won't be much of a show so we can count that out), or our heroes will strand the Lucien alliance folks (and thus we have ongoing bad guys to deal with)

Edited by Dynaman

Still lazy writing, "we need to get them into a worse situation, let's have leader make an even stupider decision then he already has! We can have him plan a double cross which fails, instead of doing the only reasonable move he has left - attacking the enemy NOW"

I don't necessarily agree there...

They're undermanned and undersupplied with no hope of reinforcement or resupply. They have a single medic, who's a captive and would be pretty much a guaranteed casualty if fighting starts again. They're facing a motivated and trained enemy. In a best case scenario they win, but there would be several casualties, possibly the loss of their one medic, supplies expended to treat the wounded, ammunition expended when there are other threats out there (though granted, with a win, they could capture the Lucian Alliance supplies, but at best it would be a wash there). So it was a decision between a somewhat risky plan with high reward (the doublecross), or a risky plan with with no reward (an attack). Either way it was a gamble.

Finally just watched it....I gotta say I liked it. I think Young is just trying to be the type of Leader that he looks up too (Gen. O'Neil) so he's taking a chance and rolling the dice. I agree with snowblind, bigger risk but bigger reward / smaller risk but much less reward if any.

On a different topic, I really liked the music of this episode particularly the end que with the drums. I've really liked much of the music from this show especially the que I just mentioned and the Destiny recharging in the star que. Hope they release the soundtrack.

Chris

Edited by Dobber

• 1 month later...

I finally got to see this show for the first time, i bought the DVD boxset. Being a fan of the previous Stargate shows and movies, i was really looking forward to this. But after watching it, i'm very disapointed with this show, I'm finding it very boring and the drama just gets dragged on. I know they're trying to make the show more "mature" by adding as much sex and angst in it, but It just dosen't work for me. And none of the characters are likeable, if any of them died, i wouldn't care, though i desperatly want Eli to die, he is so annoying. There are many other shows which are "mature" which keep me interested, but i'm afraid SGU is not gonna be one of them. I regret buying it now. :(

I finally got to see this show for the first time, i bought the DVD boxset. Being a fan of the previous Stargate shows and movies, i was really looking forward to this. But after watching it, i'm very disapointed with this show, I'm finding it very boring and the drama just gets dragged on. I know they're trying to make the show more "mature" by adding as much sex and angst in it, but It just dosen't work for me. And none of the characters are likeable, if any of them died, i wouldn't care, though i desperatly want Eli to die, he is so annoying. There are many other shows which are "mature" which keep me interested, but i'm afraid SGU is not gonna be one of them. I regret buying it now. :(

Sorry to hear that. Based on what you said, it sounds like they sacrificed the story and central spirit of the previous Stargate shows for the drama and maturity (ala BSG). I can only speak for myself, but I was a loose fan of Stargate for the first 4 seasons and then the show really lost me. I tried watching Atlantis and made it throught he first half dozen episodes before it lost me again. But with Universe, the show has hooked me from the beginning. It does feel more mature, as you say, and I can connect with the characters so much better. I suppose the writers knew that they would lose some fans and gain new ones when they decided on the change. I'm sorry for the dissapointment in some of the odler fans, but alternately happy that Universe is my new favorite show.

Sorry to hear that. Based on what you said, it sounds like they sacrificed the story and central spirit of the previous Stargate shows for the drama and maturity (ala BSG). I can only speak for myself, but I was a loose fan of Stargate for the first 4 seasons and then the show really lost me. I tried watching Atlantis and made it throught he first half dozen episodes before it lost me again. But with Universe, the show has hooked me from the beginning. It does feel more mature, as you say, and I can connect with the characters so much better. I suppose the writers knew that they would lose some fans and gain new ones when they decided on the change. I'm sorry for the disappointment in some of the odler fans, but alternately happy that Universe is my new favorite show.

I admit that maybe the last three or so episodes were much better than the rest, but there are just some elements in this show that we have seen done before and better. I just feel the characters are the most depressing bunch of people ever to come together. Everyone just seems to have issues, while real life people do have issues, but what are the chances of all these people coming together on a bus. Practically most of the main young characters have had something bad happen to their parents, what are the chances? They're stuck on a spaceship which is bad enough but they just keep piling in more angst to the characters that it just gets tiresome.

Having seen most but not all of the new BSG I personally feel that series did what it did in a much more entertaining/engaging way than Universe is by trying to emulate BSG in some ways. Like Kung flu I felt the last few episodes were much better than the rest. I don't want to make any crazy wide sweeping statements but maybe they realize they were starting to alienate their previous following and so they are now moving to address that situation.

I hope so. Pretty much the only reasons that I continue to watch the show are:

- the stargate (the lack of it appearing for numerous episodes is disheartening)

- the music

- further exploration of the stargate universe

So far, of those three, only the music is a regular given.

• 1 month later...

Anyone else watch season 2 eps 1? I found it rather underwhelming and a somewhat disappointing reset to status quo. Shame after the fireworks and hints at major changes in the last two episodes of season 1.

I lived through that kind of thing with Star Trek TNG, I guess I can live through it with S:U.

I thought the Episode was better then the cliffhanger from last season (all our heroes acted like total idiots end of last season...)

I'll continue watching, but I'm looking forward to Caprica and Sanctuary more.

the more I watch the more I hate Eli. The character just gets more whiny as the show progresses.

The sad part is I bet he's supposed to be the character viewers relate to :)

but we're basically back at square one in terms of the showing being boring again. Now we're also really seeing the Voyager aspect of the show or about to.

The sad part is I bet he's supposed to be the character viewers relate to :)

but we're basically back at square one in terms of the showing being boring again. Now we're also really seeing the Voyager aspect of the show or about to.

Yeah, that's the one thing I dislike about his character. He's the "everyman" that provides us the window into the SGU world, and us viewers are supposed to identify with him.

Ugh.

The one good thing about the season premier is that they didn't kill off my favourite background character. Killing off background (and sometimes major) characters is my biggest complaint about SGA.

Now, if only the writers of SGU can write in a way for everyone to get personal stylists so as to help us viewers differentiate between the background characters?

The one good thing about the season premier is that they didn't kill off my favourite background character. Killing off background (and sometimes major) characters is my biggest complaint about SGA.

another one bites the dust...

Now, if only the writers of SGU can write in a way for everyone to get personal stylists so as to help us viewers differentiate between the background characters?

They probably can't afford it and if you asked them they'd probably would say it would ruin the "gritty" look they are going for or something lol

It does seem like they are at least trying to give other actors more screen time. I'm just waiting to see if they ultimately allow the Lucian Alliance survivors to join the rest of the crew like Voyager did with the Marquis. It would appear to be the obvious outcome but maybe the writers have a plot twist waiting.

another one bites the dust...

Arrgh! They killed off my favourite background dude! Man... don't the producers realize that killing off characters is not a way to increase a show's popularity? Just look at what happened to Dr. Carson Beckett in SGA, fans liked him so much, he was brought back!

Grrr.

Aside from that, S02E02 was good. It's what S02E01 should've been. They finally gave a decent view of the shuttle. Of course, they've effectively removed it from the series as well. >.<

Next episode looks promising. That said, just like I predicted with S02E01, there'd be no follow up of the ending. Will the same hold true?

They probably can't afford it and if you asked them they'd probably would say it would ruin the "gritty" look they are going for or something lol

From what I understand, it'd be the latter. As the series is reportedly a "big budget" series. (I don't have exact numbers, but I remember reading somewhere that each episode costs double that of SG1; which was a series made on the cheap.

I thought it was trite and clichéd and completely manipulative. I can't stand the "background character slowly dies whilst the principle actors stand around being sad" episodes.

And I'm really getting annoyed with how characters don't act in a manner consistent with themselves but are rather walking, talking plot devices.

Oh how perfectly has my initial prediction of Stargate: Voyager come true! :D

On a more serious note, I'm really not sure what exactly they're trying to do with Young's character... this man comes across more and more as a homicidal maniac on the brink of snapping. Maybe this is leading up to some descent into the dark side and final redemption scenario.

On a more serious note, I'm really not sure what exactly they're trying to do with Young's character... this man comes across more and more as a homicidal maniac on the brink of snapping. Maybe this is leading up to some descent into the dark side and final redemption scenario.

Which is a pleasant change from SG-1/SGA where the main characters go through enough psychological trauma to stun a herd of rampaging elephants, and yet never seem to need councilling or discharging from active duty. I see Colonel Young as a man beginning to crack under the pressure of the job, a job he didn't even want in the first place.

To me, Rush is also an interesting conundrum. He is directly responsible for the events and results of the previous episode, a fact that could be mitigated simply by telling people what he's found and asking for help, and yet he didn't do that. His ego mania seems to know no bounds and I wonder how many more people are going to suffer because of it.

Oh how perfectly has my initial prediction of Stargate: Voyager come true! :D

This whole situation perfectly illustrates what I hate about the writing on this show. Camile was willing to stage a mutiny and kill soldiers in order to get what she wanted. But now, since the writers need a foil to Young, they make her all soft and bleeding heart towards a bunch of aliens that killed a bunch of them, marooned them on a barely habitable world, not to mention had zero qualms about killing a pregnant woman.

Which is a pleasant change from SG-1/SGA where the main characters go through enough psychological trauma to stun a herd of rampaging elephants, and yet never seem to need councilling or discharging from active duty. I see Colonel Young as a man beginning to crack under the pressure of the job, a job he didn't even want in the first place.

because Richard Dean Anderson is a badass who can do anything with a turkey baster and a piece of string. Young is a piece of sh*t like everything else in this show.

god dammit Scifi channel, stop ruining Stargatee with your terrible BSG wannabe Voyager knock off. :(