Who else won't buy any Macross 7 Valks cause of the series?

Omegablue

Yes the story had some holes in it large enough to drive a Macross class carrier through. The singing was at times too much. The animation in anything other than the character based stuff was not the best and often used recyled footage. They messed with Max and Millia. Spent too much time with padding out the story, and not enough time telling us why the enemy was like that. The real crime was they ended it just as some renegade Meltrans turn up and sturr it all up, such a missed oppertunity. I saw the series after I had already seen Dynamite, so it was not so much of a "shock" to me.

Best bits the VF19 the VF17 the VF22 not to bothered by the enemy mecha but they are part of the series and story. Not so bothered by Battle 7 would have prefered a modified Macross class carrier.

Like it or loath it its part of Macross I cant say that I wont buy any Yamato M7 Valks. probably would a V-17 though.

But would buy (and have) any 1/72 model kits, afterall my first kit I bought in Tokyo was a Wave VF17 I now have enough of that kit to make all of Diamond force and the millia custom :) I'd jump at the chance of a Hasegawa version though.

I guess its like Marmite you eaither love it or hate it.

I liked Macross 7 a lot, but the first few episodes were hard to get past. After "Planet Dance" the music is pretty good, and I rather enjoyed the stories and characters, even though there were too many episodes.

I'd rather Yamato do Mylene's valk than any other at this point.

Ahh yeah, MAXL in the mother f***** hizzouse! As ridiculous as a valk with boobs is, I'd just have to buy one, because it's just so...ridiculous, I guess. Then again, I like M7 for that same reason.

if they made a VF-17D/S and a the VF-11C with armor I'd be happy

and no, it's not as bad as it sounds, it's WORST!! 49 episodes of monster of the week, a singing fool, an unresolved love triangle, and the worst thing for me is how they messed up Max & Millia relationship with hints of probably getting back but not happening... pffft

Macross 7 story was a bit stick up every macross fan

and yes, the animation was terrible, I still have nightmares of the same 3 VF-11C getting blasted 50 times in every episode

It's sailor moon with valkyries. :lol:

I do like the music though.

You're a jerk who doesn't like good shows obviously.

bomba

this

I'd rather Yamato do Mylene's valk than any other at this point.

also this

there was a point when I hated Macross 7 and thought it shouldn't be part of macross, there was also a time when I didn't like G gundam. I have seen the light since then and realize that Mac7 actually is pretty good and that G gundam is the best gundam ever.

The only problem I have with Mac 7 is that the battle scenes are some of the weakest in Macross, SO much recycled footage.

anyways. there are no valks in mac7 I wouldn't buy although some of them are low on my list, (sound force other than MAXL, the Zolan VF-5000's etc.)

I'd buy every Valk from Macross 7 before I buy a Macross II valk though :p

I'd have to admit that M7 wasn't something that I was proud of in the series. If I had to introduce a friend to Macross, I certainly wouldn't start them off on M7. Not all the designs were good either imo. Some were just plain ridiculous like the VF-11MAXL and the design of the VF-19 was not as visually appealing as the YF-19. Top that off with Basara and a forgettable plot with some cheesy music-mumbo-jumbo (an evil in all of macross imo) and it's really hard to say that Macross is more down to earth than something mainstream like Gundam.

Fortunately though, there are saving graces: the VF-19 is amazing, and the VF-22 is pretty sweet too. So, buy it for the mecha and just pretend the lame stuff doesn't exist! Ignorance is bliss!

I still think Mylene's valk should work better in 3D than most--mainly because it's so curved---the entire fuselage, wings etc are are "funkily shaped" in order to accomodate the "feminine" battroid mode. The battroid mode dictates the shape of the fighter, not the other way around. This is also a good time to link to one of Polidread's latest drawings:

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?...st&p=770977

I bought a lot of my Macross kits before I ever saw any of the anime. A cool-looking kit is a cool-looking kit no matter what kind of show it crops up in. Mind you, I'm personally not that keen on the VF17 as it appears in Macross 7 - here I have to agree with posters about the hand-drawn animation vs. what we see in Frontier, but hey, that's just technology marching on.

Just finished Macross 7 and, while there were slow bits and silly bits and repetitive combat bits, IMO it's definitely Macross through-and-through. I still prefer Frontier, but I suspect that's only down to appearances.

I love Macross 7. I actually prefer it to SDFM TV. Gamlin and Mylene rule!

I will buy any and every VF toy produced.

Roll on the VF-17D/S, VF-11C, VF-11C Full Armoured, VF-22S Max & Millia, VF-19F/S, VF-19Kai. So many cool VFs in that series.

Graham

I haven't watched all of the series yet still have to finish Dynamite 7 and the extra missing episodes.

I'd be on the fence about it. I don't care for the kai YF-19 at all. Or the vf-22s which to me are nothing but repaints of the YF-21. An armored VF-11, VF-17D/S... I'd think about them. The sound force boosters and whatnot. NO.

something about having the power of singing being made visible( which was okay) and having it look like something out of Dragon ball Z just turned me off.

That and the giant speaker missile.

i watched all of Mac7 last year w/out any expectations, and i actually liked it... well except for Basara.

as for the valks, i can only surely say now that i would buy a 1/60 VF-17D Gamlin if Yamato made one. if any of these M7 valks will be made, it will definitely cost a pretty penny... might even cost more than the YF-21/VF-22S upon initial release. the expected price would definitely be an issue for me.

i watched all of Mac7 last year w/out any expectations, and i actually liked it... well except for Basara.

as for the valks, i can only surely say now that i would buy a 1/60 VF-17D Gamlin if Yamato made one. if any of these M7 valks will be made, it will definitely cost a pretty penny... might even cost more than the YF-21/VF-22S upon initial release. the expected price would definitely be an issue for me.

Same here. I actually liked all of M7 except for Basara. Then again, I liked all of SDF-M except for Hikaru. :lol:

Definite buys from me from M7:

1) Armored VF11C (even though I already have the VF11B from M+)

2) Any new Valk that was never released before. I believe that means everything excluding the VF19 (already have the black YF19) and VF22 (already got Gamlin's)

Yup. Resolution for my new 1/60 collection: only 1 of each model, unless there's some add-on packs (armor or super or strike or fold etc). Even then, I prefer to just get the add-on packs to add to my existing Valk rather than get another Valk. No more multiples of 1 model just to pose in all 3 modes (fighter, gerwalk, battroid)

Edited by blacklotus

Interesting. I recently completed M7, one to two eps per day while on the train home. A couple of years ago, I watched the first ep, couldn't accept the premise and couldn't go on, so I can understand why many people give up after the first few eps.

But I think the key to enjoying M7 is not to take it too seriously and just have fun with the show. Music is awesome, I think Mylene is the cutest Macross babe, and Gamlin rocks.

I'll take any M7 valk anytime, even Mylene's VF-11Boobfighter er VF-11MAXL :p

Would love to re-create Operation Stargazer when you had a ragtag bunch of varied fighters sortie-ing!

But I think the key to enjoying M7 is not to take it too seriously and just have fun with the show. Music is awesome, I think Mylene is the cutest Macross babe, and Gamlin rocks.

Pretty much, also if you kinda know what you're getting yourself into in the first place, it'll make watching Macross 7 alot more easier... :p. But my god, bad guys can't sing for the life of them!

I wonder how Mylene turned out by the time of Frontier... and have her parents start graying yet? :lol:

Edited by shiroikaze

I started watching Mac 7 in the late 90's when it first came out, but gave up after after 2 episodes. Just couldn't tolerate how slow and confusing the plot was. Plus the Fire Valkryie didn't really appeal to me back then.

I gave the series another try after several years and managed to finish it completely. What pulled me back into the series was the fact that Max and Millia were in it. I didn't know that the first time around. I guess having a direct connection with the original Macross series makes a huge difference.

Can't say I have become a fan of the Mac 7, but at least I don't find it annoying anymore. Gotta give Kawamori credit for taking Macross in a completely new direction, unlike the Gundam franchise.

As for the valks, the VF-19 has gradually grown on me, and the Blazer is now my favourite valkyrie. Too bad it was piloted by a jerk in the series. The other valks like the 17 and the 11 are also becoming more appealing to me. In retrospect, Mac 7 has really given us a ton of nice looking valkyries. If only Bandai would make them all, I would buy them. Sorry, I know most people here are Yamato fans, but I still prefer the chunkiness of Bandai :lol:

Edited by Ivan

Macross 7 is under-rated. Yes, it takes far too long to get going, the overall length needs to be trimmed by about ten episodes, its budget was probably about the same as what they spent on Mr. Kawamoris Pocky during the production of Macross Plus, and there are some characters who should never, ever have been been allowed to sing - but once it does get going, its actually not half bad, and its probably much closer in spirit to the original Macross series than Plus...

its actually not half bad, and its probably much closer in spirit to the original Macross series than Plus...

That's not necessarily a good thing. Empire Strikes Back is widely regarded as the best SW film, and it's probably futhest in spirit from the original film than any of the bunch.

It's amazing to me how every single thread that has anything to do with Mac7 eventually turns into this kind of a debate..even in the toy forum. I guess credit needs to be given where it's due...if Mac 7 has one thing going for it, it's it's own controversial nature. Everyone has a strong opinion about it one way or the other which is kind of cool.

It's amazing to me how every single thread that has anything to do with Mac7 eventually turns into this kind of a debate..even in the toy forum. I guess credit needs to be given where it's due...if Mac 7 has one thing going for it, it's it's own controversial nature. Everyone has a strong opinion about it one way or the other which is kind of cool.

Yes... I must admit that discussion of M7 always stirs up my emotion and I feel like to voice out my opinion.

It's interesting perceptions can be that different for people too.

I never finish to watch the series (watch more than half of it and some ep near the end), I just can't see it fit into Macross world well. But it won't stop me to buy the toys, as long as I like the design.

However, Macross 7 valk's design is also my least favorites in the Macross series, I just can't accept a Valk with a 'face' , too colourful, and Speaker in their shoulders etc. :lol:

Yes they did. A little too chunky for my tastes though

I know Bandai did make Mac 7 valks. (I have them all). However, like many other fellow members, I just wish Bandai would re-visit the series and further expand on it. The VF-100 is a good move in the right direction, but I am worried that the line won't live long.

Yes... I must admit that discussion of M7 always stirs up my emotion and I feel like to voice out my opinion.

It's interesting perceptions can be that different for people too.

at least we're not getting here those mile long essay styled post from hardcore Macross 7 and Basara fans about why it was the best Macross and Basara is God to them

take note, I never read them, I just scroll my mouse wheel fifty times to the next post

at least we're not getting here those mile long essay styled post from hardcore Macross 7 and Basara fans about why it was the best Macross and Basara is God to them

take note, I never read them, I just scroll my mouse wheel fifty times to the next post

:lol: That's funny.

I just started watching Macross 7 last night. I must have been tired, cause I only made it through the first 3 episodes and then crashed. I will watch the rest of them so I know what it's all about. I guess to answer the question of this thread. I would still buy Mac7 valks if Yamato made some. The valks made back in the day to represent the Mac7 series sucked. That's my personal opinion.

LOL... enjoyed reading through this. :)

Anyway, after thinking about it, I’m still not for this series. Yes the VF-17 is pretty even though I prefer the longer nosed VF-171, and without a doubt Mylene is probably one of the strongest female characters in the Macross Universe.

With that said a Mylene or Rex figure with cast away would be tempting. Though I’m a selective collector, and when I show pieces, I like to give them a background description of their origins. The story of Macross 7 just shudders me. The giant magical creatures, how Exodur fits in the bridge, how Max is so indecisive, and the whole singing becoming an AT field... just isn't for me...

For me Macross is about three important elements. The Valks, people dealing with life within the military, and an appeal for the enemy’s technology and motives. Macross 7 for me doesn’t have either of the last two. And what’s up with everyone needing to sing. It felt more like a musical than a Macross series? :blink::wacko: LOL

And yip ignorance is bliss, and leaving this series as an alternative Universe.

As for the Valks, there's too many others that appeal more to me from the other series. And glad to see I’m not completely alone. :)

This whole debate is moot anyways.

Kawamori has announced that he has plans to retcon most of pre-Macross 7. He's going to do a "Director's Cut" of DYRL - kind of like Lucas - and add all the scenes that SHOULD have been there but couldn't due to budget constraints at the time. This includes painting all of the VF-1s pink.

As Kawamori stated in his recent interview on the subject:

Anime-Lovers.com: So wait... pink VF-1s in DYRL?

Shoji Kawamorii: Yes. That was the original idea. You see, I had wanted the Skull Squadron to be called the Pink Peckers all along, but the studio wouldn't go for it. Notice that the VF-1s are all white mostly. Now - think about it - why is this? You see - they were not meant to be white. They are actually not colored in. They were going to be pink but we ran out of money. It wasn't even a creative disagreement - the studio wouldn't go for it for financial reasons. The exchange rate went crazy and we couldn't find a factory that made the correct shade of pink paint. It was a nightmare. In the end, we gave up on Pink Peckers. But now, in Director's Cut DYRL, we're bringing the original concept to the foreground

Yamato has already announced that it will be converting all of its' production of the v.2 into pink Valkyrie.

BOMBA!

Pete