Official Yamato 1/60 Scale GBP

ff95gj

Hmmm.. why would they sell for less?

Anyways it's a buyer's choice, knowing the problems and plunging to get one.

It's a gamble anyways...

That's not totally fair, until recently these problems were fixed. Now they're stuffing old broken poo in "new" packages and pretending that's okay after seemingly fixing a lot of stuff. Hell, the uncolored VF-1's don't even have the fixed crotch system either, what kind of BS is Yamato pulling? It's a total crap shoot now. Not a way to build confidence.

If Graham hadn't gotten his GBP and broken after some minor fiddling and contacted Yamato about it we would have never knowned that Yamato did this on purpose and didn't bother to tell anyone about it

adding insult to injury, for the moment, you can't buy a stand alone GBP, you MUST buy it with a defective VF-1J that will not hold the added armor after the hinge caves and the arm will keep falling out of it's socket, and aside to how people tended to ignore the crack shoulder by "proudly" displaying their "perfect transformation toy" only in fighter mode, you can't really do this with the GBP, there is no way to hide it

do you own a crack v2 VF-1?, it's a pain in the ass, everytime you transform it, the arm will fall off, you then have to put it back on, after you do this several times getting everything in place, you start posing the arm with the gunpod and you will take the arm out of it's socket, and then redo everything again, that's a BIG annoyance.

I know it's a buyers choice, and the people who have gotten the GBP set at the moment have been people who pre-order it or bought it before Graham found out the truth about this deceit, but if you're going to buy this GBP set at full retail, it's a very poor buyers choice, I'll give you an example, let's say I bough the GBP set, open it, took it out of the box and noticed the shoulder was cracked, I didn't transform it or play with it, just open, check and back in the box, will you buy it from me at full price or close to full price since I only opened it for inspection??

sh!t man! if I buy a sandwich that's going to give me diarrhea everytime I eat it, I'm not going to buy it...

what I hate the most of Yamato, is that you never know what you're going to get, Yamato NEVER marks in their boxes some kind of info if the set you have bought has the improvement or not

take the VT-1, some with knurled pins and some without it, what a disgrace...

I don't think Yamato should sell for less with the Armored VF-1J. For those who think Yamato should sell for less, that means you can live with the fact that the shoulder hinge is cracked as long as you get 50% off the full retail or something like that. All the annoyance on falling shoulder become BS instantly, obviously quality toy is not priortiy but cheap price is their top priority in their books.

I think Yamato should start doing recall or accepting replacement hinges or arm as FOC for those who bought the Armored VF-1J. That's it.

Valkyrie addict,

Very eloquently spoken, and you intelligently stated your position without being repetitive. I'm impressed and you literally took the words right out of my mouth, as well as others, I'm sure.

Honestly, this is my first experience with a company "recycling" a high price broken/defective item into a new box without any warning to the customer. This was nothing short of deliberate and intentional on the part of Yamato.

Historically it reminds me of when the Japanese ambassador was negotiating with Washington, DC, while at the same time the Japanese Navy was bombing Pearl Harbor. While it's not fair to consider the entire country in general terms, I always presumed that Japanese businesses operated under high ethical standards, in comparison to many American companies. Yamato is truly motivated by the Yen. <_<

Sincerely,

Christopher B))

Valkyrie addict,

Very eloquently spoken, and you intelligently stated your position without being repetitive. I'm impressed and you literally took the words right out of my mouth, as well as others, I'm sure.

Honestly, this is my first experience with a company "recycling" a high price broken/defective item into a new box without any warning to the customer. This was nothing short of deliberate and intentional on the part of Yamato.

Historically it reminds me of when the Japanese ambassador was negotiating with Washington, DC, while at the same time the Japanese Navy was bombing Pearl Harbor. While it's not fair to consider the entire country in general terms, I always presumed that Japanese businesses operated under high ethical standards, in comparison to many American companies. Yamato is truly motivated by the Yen. <_<

Sincerely,

Christopher B))

Couple years back Aoshima did recall one of their legiosses due to poor QC. So this is pretty much an isloated instance but yamato did screw up here.

I don't think Yamato should sell for less with the Armored VF-1J. For those who think Yamato should sell for less, that means you can live with the fact that the shoulder hinge is cracked as long as you get 50% off the full retail or something like that. All the annoyance on falling shoulder become BS instantly, obviously quality toy is not priortiy but cheap price is their top priority in their books.

I think Yamato should start doing recall or accepting replacement hinges or arm as FOC for those who bought the Armored VF-1J. That's it.

They aren't selling for less, but some of the etailers started to recently. Angolz slashed the price a bit last week.

I'm not saying that, I'm just pointing out in my opinion how dishonest Yamato or how they just don't care, after my v2 broke I haven't bought a single Yamato anymore, they've been on sale on HLJ and Over-drive and I've been very tempted to do but in the end I haven't, I just can't deal with having everything broken or floppy on my display cabinet

when a product has been proved defective, a company should scrap the defective product or recycle the good parts into a new product, if they can't do this and need to clear the inventory, then they sell the defective product MARKED as a defective one for a very cheap price, YOU DO NOT BUNDLE IT WITH A NEW RELEASE AND SELL IT AT FULL PRICE AND NOT SAY ANYTHING ABOUT IT, that's just a shady and deceiving way to do business

Again, if Graham haven't asked Yamato in their faces why his brand new GBP set broke, Yamato would not have said anything about it, in a way, at the moment, every macross completest is screwed, they have either bought a broken toy (unknowingly), or have to wait a year for Yamato to bundle it with a fixed VF-J or unbundle it, that's usually what it takes Yamato to sort of fix things...

My GBP finally showed up today. There is no yellowing as far as I can tell and the whiteness of the head seems to match the rest of the valk. The shoulders are intact. They have the gnarled pins but after transformation and armor application the shoulder's are still in good working order. It has the old crotch system. This was always intended to be in-armor only so hopefully now that it's up on my shelf there shouldn't be any problems with it. Pretty beefy thing as well.

Ho-Lee cow!!! Please tell me that is not a 1/60 diorama with the v2 1/60 Valks! Asise from the awesome custom job, the dio's are to die for. If you have other pics of this scale diorama please post them. Thanks!

Bingo!

Thanks Macrossman and Miriya. That is a 1/60 diorama with a Ver 2.0 CF VF-1J (repainted and weathered) along with an armored VF-1D with twin Strike Cannons and twin gunpods for maximum firepower.

Hikaru would have faired much better in this VF-1D. ^_^

I have a question about this whole "nurly" vs. non-nurly pins issue...

My VF-1S first edition (I got it when the thing came out - immediately - probably one of the first out of the factory) is just fine. I've transformed it a zillion times and there's no breakage at the shoulders.

I just checked the pins on my VT-1. They seem to be nurly - at least - I think so...compared to my VF-1J Max (new blue) - they are...Max clearly has some straight pins...

But - neither of them are broken.

Has it definitely been established that the PINS have anything to do with the breakages?

I had a second VF-1S Fokker which had its' shoulder broken at the hinge IN THE BOX. That was the only version 2.0 QC casualty.

Everything else I own is fine - nurly or not nurly.

Furthermore - it seems to me that the only possible way to snap the plastic at the shoulder hinge is to pull up too hard when trying to get the hinge over the "speed bump" (my word for the protrusion the hinge needs to get over when swinging the arms out in order to lock them into place for Gerwalk [and Battroid] mode.

If you pull up too hard, you put some pretty big pressure on those hinges. If you don't pull, but just push, you will end up bashing the plastic portion of the hinge against that speed bump thing, weakining it - since on the one hand you'll have the tension from the pin and on the other hand the tension from the pushing against the plastic.

You just need to use a very fluid motion to get it over the "bump" and into place.

The hinge itself is attached to a "loose" plastic bit that is hel on a metal screw - and is PURPOSFEULLY loose - in the sense that as you life the arm up over the bump, the loose bit that the hinge is attached to lifts a little bit and then lowers to settle down over the bump when you lock the shoulder hinge in place.

That loose bit is what gives you the flexibility to manipulate the shoulder joint without doing harm to it.

Another area where you need to be careful is if the ball joint on the shoulder is fitted too tight. You need to loose that up by holding the hinge cube and moving the shoulder - rotating it a bit - until you feel the tension ease...

Although this was only a problem on one of the many Valkyrie I have.

I dunno... Don't mean to suggest members are being overly rough but...

I find it strangely incredible that Yammie after Yammie I get is just fine.

I have gotten one broken in the box - but unless I'm mistaken - lots of members are reporting breakeages, stress lines etc happening after a few transformations?

I dunno...

Just sounds wierd.

As for Yamato using old stock VF-1Js...

well...

I have an "old stock" VF-1J Hikaru. I got it when it first came out. I used to actually have two of them. Both of them were in tip top condition. One got sold. The other remains - and is still in tip top condition.

In fact - he's on my avatar pointing at Minmey's butt :lol:

Pete

party pooper

Lucky?

LOL.... YOU FOOLS! You pulled too hard transforming your toy. That's why it was broken in the box before you handled it!

Even the replacement arms I was sent, that were never put on a valk, were broken. Shove that in your "it's how you transform the toy" pipe and smoke it.

LOL.... YOU FOOLS! You pulled too hard transforming your toy. That's why it was broken in the box before you handled it!

Even the replacement arms I was sent, that were never put on a valk, were broken. Shove that in your "it's how you transform the toy" pipe and smoke it.

Intent is 9/10ths of the law. Since you were intending to transform it wrong, it pre-emptively broke itself to save time.

I'm not saying that, I'm just pointing out in my opinion how dishonest Yamato or how they just don't care, after my v2 broke I haven't bought a single Yamato anymore, they've been on sale on HLJ and Over-drive and I've been very tempted to do but in the end I haven't, I just can't deal with having everything broken or floppy on my display cabinet

when a product has been proved defective, a company should scrap the defective product or recycle the good parts into a new product, if they can't do this and need to clear the inventory, then they sell the defective product MARKED as a defective one for a very cheap price, YOU DO NOT BUNDLE IT WITH A NEW RELEASE AND SELL IT AT FULL PRICE AND NOT SAY ANYTHING ABOUT IT, that's just a shady and deceiving way to do business

Again, if Graham haven't asked Yamato in their faces why his brand new GBP set broke, Yamato would not have said anything about it, in a way, at the moment, every macross completest is screwed, they have either bought a broken toy (unknowingly), or have to wait a year for Yamato to bundle it with a fixed VF-J or unbundle it, that's usually what it takes Yamato to sort of fix things...

Don't you think you are going a little overboard? This appears to be a problem in the factory. Obviously the factory failed at this and someone was fired for it. It's just to bad that it took so long for Yamato to find out and hopefully they will in the future be checking in on the factory more often to make sure they are making the toys properly. Yes initially there was problems and Yamato gave the factory a fix for the problem. For the toys that did break they provide free replacement parts through their warranty programs (which can be a problem if you live outside of Japan/Asia?). Yamato made a mistake but I don't think I would go so far as to call them dishonest or they don't care. If they didn't care they would just make the equivalent of Toonami 1/100s or Bandai 1/100 VF-25s... :ph34r:

As to the VF-1J:

To quote Graham "There had been no reported cases of the first run of VF-1J Hikaru’s cracking, so Yamato assumed they would be OK." They made the mistake of thinking since no one reported a problem with that scheme that it was fine. I very much doubt that they tried to sell defective toys to people on purpose. If no one was reporting problems with the VF-1J they had "some" justification in thinking that the scheme was free of the problem, which was obviously not the case.

Note:

My VF-1J has one shoulder with the knurled pin and one without which is strange. Also both are not cracked and work fine in the 10 months that I have owned it. ^_^

As to the fix: by replacing the knurled pin and changing the assembly process the problem is supposed to have been fixed. I have some Valks with the Knurled pins that don't have cracks which leads me to assume that it's not just the pin but perhaps bad assembly process as well contributing to the breakages. The plastic seems thin but I don't have any problems with my other 1/60 valks so maybe it is sufficient.

Finally I live in North America and since Yamato does not have a license to sell the toy in NA I know that getting warranty and help on a toy that is only supposed to sell in Japan/Asia will be problematic. I believe that if you live in Japan/Asia? the replacement parts for breakages are free. They are trying to work with some of the toy websites to provide us with replacement parts. It hasn't been the greatest but I will take what I can get.

Think of it this way:

I want an Iphone. I purchase the IPhone in the US instead of Canada. The Iphone brick's itself. Apple will not provide me warranty on the product because I purchased the product in the US and that phone is not licensed for use in Canada. So I am SOL. This is a comeone practice by many manufactures so they can keep their warranty programs safe and to keep thier country specific MSRP's. That Yamato is trying to provide my some kind of warranty program for a product that is not licensed for sale in my country is great. Now if only Overdrive could get their act together. It was working fine initially but since then it's customer service has gone down hill.

....whole S**T B*lls that was allot of typing. Sorry about that. :wacko:

Edited by logos

I have to agree with Jenius. It's not how you transform it. I would bet money I was the most careful of anyone here transforming the shoulders (I would spent several mins on them alone, going VERY slowly and carefully, checking both ends with each mm of movement--all having loosened the screws already) and they broke in like three transformations.

Also, they broke even worse while I photographed them last week. And I didn't even transform it to photograph them, just had to rotate them out half-way---and that made the "really cracked" one lose a chunk, and the less-cracked one crack all the way. Them when I rotated them back, the second one lost its chunk as well. They got worse over time, just sitting on the shelf, as I never transformed it again after I saw a hariline crack on one and a stress mark on the other. In the months after, large chunks of plastic completely came off---again, having never been transformed since the first white stress mark appeared.

(personally, I think the originating issue is actually that the diameter of the middle of the pin is too large, and thus too tight against the central, rotating part of the hinge---if the middle part of the pin was smaller, the knurling would simply hold in place like it was designed to and not rotate---it's the rotation of the knurled part that actually stresses the plastic after the initial installation) The pin itself shouldn't move at all (that's why it's knurled in the first place). Switching to a smooth-end pin doesn't actually fix the original flaw, but it cures the symptoms. (a *smaller* pin is the real fix, which may be the third pin variant reported?)

Smooth pin sections rotate, knurled ones don't. If you have a knurled pin that's rotating, that means the smooth part is WAY too tight somewhere, to the point that the smooth part has frozen in place and the rough part is being forced to move---which is the exact opposite of the design intent.

Can anybody tell me (and I've asked this before in several other threads which have a relatively similar "oh noooo! Yamatoed!" theme) ---

what does this whole situation look like in Japan? Surely some of our members who are fluent in Japanese and frequent some Japanese fan sites must be able to tell us?

Are Japanese fans also reporting widespread QC problems with their valkyrie?

Even if the warranty service is "Free" - it's only "free" for customers - -- Yamato would notice if they had to suddenly produce tons of "free" spare parts.

Like Graham said - last time he asked for pics - he got two. That's not exactly going to convince Yamato it's an epidemic.

This time there seem to be more pictures in the specific thread.

I think what might be really annoying people is that these products are not cheap -they are very expensive - and to get a defective one is a real bummer.

This is understandable.

Still - I'm wondering what it looks like in Japan.

Maybe Yamato don't hear about the problem because if the proportions are such that for every, say, hundred valks a retailer sells, two or three are defective and get brought back by customers - the retailer just replaces the thing himself and doesn't even bother pestering Yamato about it?

I mean - it would have to be a REAL epidemic for that to happen...

But I dunno...any info on how this issue looks in Japan?

Pete

I recieved mine yesterday and all I can say is wow! After putting aside the angst about potential shoulder issues, it is very nicely crafted kit rounding out my VF-1 lineup very nicely.

I must say I forgot how annoying the original swing bar locking mechanism was but it's a one off transformation for me anyhow.

Got say, I've transformed my early 1/60 V2 VF-1S and VF-1A loads of times and no breakage or stress marks on them, or any of the other V2 VF-1 1/60.

But then with the VF-1J that came with the GBP, first transformation out of the box and it breaks.

Graham

Got say, I've transformed my early 1/60 V2 VF-1S and VF-1A loads of times and no breakage or stress marks on them, or any of the other V2 VF-1 1/60.

But then with the VF-1J that came with the GBP, first transformation out of the box and it breaks.

Graham

In any case it's better to have the smooth pins on all future releases just to be safe. My 1/60 1S had a hairline crack which I thought was a mold line until it developed further months later. My Hikaru 1A came with the crack wide open. 1A TV Max is just fine.

In any case I think it would also be great if Yamato released a stand alone GPB set for mass market. The only other one available is the webshop exclusive Itano Circus version.