man down!!!

combined arms

so i got in my 1/48 FAST packs recently. after putting them on my low-viz and admiring it that way for about a week, i decided this past weekend to check it out in battloid mode. as i was transforming it (for only like the thrd time ever) the backpack came off in my hand. i almost freaked. upon examination, i realized that it was the hinge on the back that broke. the two rings that held the backpack on sheared off cleanly. what a ridiculously fragile design! anyway, i was searching around the forums for advice and saw that replacement parts thread. has there been any further word on that? the thread ended abruptly with no update quite a while ago. also, is this a common problem? not that i could afford to, but i can't even buy a new low-viz if i wanted to, since every store that i know is sold out. any input is welcomed.

neil

so i got in my 1/48 FAST packs recently.  after putting them on my low-viz and admiring it that way for about a week, i decided this past weekend to check it out in battloid mode.  as i was transforming it (for only like the thrd time ever) the backpack came off in my hand.  i almost freaked.  upon examination, i realized that it was the hinge on the back that broke.  the two rings that held the backpack on sheared off cleanly.  what a ridiculously fragile design!  anyway, i was searching around the forums for advice and saw that replacement parts thread.  has there been any further word on that?  the thread ended abruptly with no update quite a while ago.  also, is this a common problem?  not that i could afford to, but i can't even buy a new low-viz if i wanted to, since every store that i know is sold out.  any input is welcomed.

neil

I've never heard of this problem before, but it just figures it would happen to a low-vis. :rolleyes: Sorry about your loss, bro. The only thing close to consolation I have to offer is that you can probably still score a low-vis on eBay for around $150 if you're that desperate to replace it. I would also check out the Wanted forum. I know you're not the first to break a 1/48 (and unfortunately, you probably won't be the last). You can always hold out for someone with a similar situation and maybe swap parts or something. I think the thread you mentioned ended abruptly because Yamato's willingness to provide spare parts also ended thusly. :(

Edited by Draykov

Ouch and a Low-Viz at that! That is a weakness of the 1/48 design. I wonder if there's anything better future 1/48's could do... maybe make them out of metal or have the hinge be a seperate piece of the mold (and include an extra)... or both...

The FAST Packs just exaggerate the problem... just like with the arm locking mechanism... maybe include a reinforcement brace with the FP? Alot of you guys who do molds and stuff, maybe someone could work something out. I know I'd buy one or two...

After reading this i did a check with all the 1/48 and foung out that out of the VF-1S, one side of the hinge have broken off and 2 of the 1/48 already got stress mark on it. This is a known problem on the 1/48 and now compound with the weight of the FP i think alot more of this is going to happen.

I am begining to worried :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

any solution from anybody??? :(:(:(

Ouch, I am sorry to hear about that man, I am so paranoid about breaking mine that it takes me 45 minutes to transform the things. Anyhow, I only have two potential repair solutions for you. Both are going to involve some intensive labor.

First one, would be to try to repair the broken valk. You can carefully try to glue with either Cyanoacrylate or ABS glue, either of these will melt/fuse the plastic together and create as strong a bond as you are going to get in a plastic glue, you will have to very carefully glue and then wait at least 24 hours before putting any stress on the plastic to ensure maximum hardness of the plastic. You will need to do some minor touch up painting if this method workks, but you should be able to conceal the flaw nicely if it does. This may do the trick, if not then my other idea would be:

Second, locate either a person with a broken 1/48 that will sell or give it to you for parts, or buy the cheapest 1/48 you can find (Probably the Max version) and cannibalize it for the replacement part that you need. I am assuming here that the Low Vis, is important enough to you to do this. Then you will need to repaint the part as closely to the original as you can. Obviously this will be tough, but the Low Vis camo scheme actually might help cover any minor variances that you end up with. This would be a serious time consuming project that would doubtlessly cost you more in man hours and effort than buying a new Low Vis would cost you for the time being (They are limited edition so they won't be replaceable for long I think)

Gooid luck and sorry again to hear about your misfortune.

I had this exact problem. My low viz's backpack hinge broke the first time I transformed it! :o

However, don't count it as a loss yet. I ordered the replacement parts from HLJ and my low viz is now as good a new! :D

Anyway, the backpack hinge is known to be a very fragile part. I know there were a few people in the forum who had exactly the same problem. In fact, Yamato includes a warning sheet in some of the 1/48 boxes (according to what I've read in this forum). I think Graham even mentions this in his reviews.

Anyway, here's the link to the thread that describes getting the replacement parts.

Good luck!

Thanks for the advice everyone. I am going to try to contact Yamato directly first for that one part, before I decide on whether or not to replace the whole thing. If this is a known issue, good business practices would be to make amends. It is quite different than people "abusing the system" to make customs. For the record, the FAST backs were off when I was transforming it.

I'd suspect that the removal of the FAST Packs was what did the initial damage, and the transformation was the final straw. Those FAST Packs are mean to mount/remove.

Ever since I heard about the backpack joint, I've been very careful with my valks back there. Obviously this doesn't do you any good. . . so all I can offer is my condelensces (sp?) and this advice:

If I were you, I'd take a picture of the broken part(s) with a copy of your email/letter in the frame. And send that along. That way, they'll know that you aren't just trying to score some extra parts. It might also reinforce in their minds that their product definitely does have a flaw and that they should help you. Let us all know how it goes and please detail the process!

Second option would be to buy another one and then take apart the old one and sell the parts. I don't know how good the market is for Low-vis parts. But a guy made a killing selling the parts to his VF-1S on Ebay ($40-50 just for the head!).

Best Regards,

H

Can anyone point out the specific problem area. As I haven't had the misfortune of breaking any of my 1/48 yet (knock on wood), I'd like to have some more insight. Can someone see it in any of these pics?

gerwalk6.jpg

backpack4.JPG

battroid2.jpg

transformation2.jpg

backpack5.JPG

Edited by Draykov

But a guy made a killing selling the parts to his VF-1S on Ebay ($40-50 just for the head!).

Best Regards,

H

that would be me. 51.99 to be exact.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...item=3149233035

Anyway I usually just remove the boosters/strike cannon before I transform it. And sometimes the left booster. I'd remove the boosters completely but that right one was a bitch to get on/off even on the new Hikaru VF-1S

The 1/48 is kinda cumbersome to transform with all that armor on it.

I still think that apart from the one exception of that backpack connector (part # BP8), the 1/48 is overall a very sturdy toy.

I do agree that # BP8 is a fatal flaw in the toy and as I've told Yamato many times, it does need to be strengthened.

However, I think as long as you are careful when you handle the toy and don't put any undue stress on BP8, it should hold up fairly well. This means paying attention to the backpack at all times, using utmost care and being very gentle when transforming the backpack. Of course accidents do happen and toys get dropped.

I've got nine 1/48 on display at the moment and all of them have been transformed numerous times. I usually take between 1 minute 30 seconds to 2 minutes per transformation and I have only ever broken one BP8 on my very first 1/48, because I wasn't sure what I was doing and pushed the backpack up too high several times, thus overstressing the part.

Be carefull, don't use force and hopefully (touch wood, cross fingers) the BP8 should last. ;)

Graham

Here's a thought on how to fix/strengthen the backpack connector.

It will require some light surgery, but all in all, nothing radical. The idea is to glue one of those thin metal strips you can get a hobby stores (steel, aluminum, brass,etc) to the side of the connector. Since just adding the strip won't really help, you'll need to make a slot for the metal strip, so it's firmly anchored to the base of the connector. once in place some light putty, sanding and painting should hide things just fine.

Check out the below pic for a better explanation.

148_bckpck_fix.jpg

I'm thinking some sort of slip on brace, if it's possible. Similar in concept to the neck piece. Whatever the case, this needs to be addressed by Yamato. Wonder how long they're going to ignore it.

I'm thinking some sort of slip on brace, if it's possible. Similar in concept to the neck piece. Whatever the case, this needs to be addressed by Yamato. Wonder how long they're going to ignore it.

I wonder if that's something they could do in die-cast in future releases.

Just took a close look at my low-viz and I think I see white stress marks on both of the rings. Doubt I'm gonna transform it again! It looks best in fighter mode, anyways, IMO, but not gonna risk it. Nor am I gonna put the FAST Packs on it again, either. <_