1/55 scale bandi toys old and new

VF-19 pilot!!!

here is something i can't understand

why would anybody buy those old macross valk toys! the other day on e-bay i saw one going for more than a yamato...which is obviously better!

I mean i know they are vintage and all but man do they look like crap!!!!

i mean really people just take a good look at them!!!!

anybody have any thoughts? :huh:

Edited by VF-19 pilot!!!

Why do people collect antique Coca-Cola memorabilia?

Why do old ladies collect cats?

Why do people collect firearms without the intention of ever firing them?

Many people enjoy the superior durability of the Chunky Monkey design, aside from it's obvious shortcomings regarding accuracy.

Others enjoy the nostalgia value, as well as owning a classic piece of Macross history.

Here's one: Why do you ask silly questions?

:p

for nostalgiaic reasions,....growing up i always wanted one but was too young and always had to wait a year for my birthday or christmas to get one but never got one...so now that im old enough i have the money and time to get them...dont get me wrong yamtos do rock but getting the old bandais and takatokus toys is still a childhood dream i have always had

I recall back in the day when those Takatokus were the only valkyries available, and they sure rocked. Granted, compared to a Yamato now, they don't look great, but they hold a lot of significance for anybody who collected before Yamato or even the Bandai reissuses came out. And, from a collector's standpoint, I can only buy so many Yamatos and Bandai reissues before I want something else. I have 48 reissues, and even though I have my Takatokus off to the side, they still represent a good portion of the collection.

Besides, Bandai never released a new VE-1, VT-1, or strike, so from that standpoint, I think those valkyries are nicer than anything Yamato or new Bandai ever released. Besides, the box art kicks ass, where as the new ones are rather lacking.

John

If you're talking about the Bandai Valkyries produced in the 80's. People buy them probably because:

1) They are Macross Fans and they want to collect these Toys. :rolleyes:

2) Those were the toys they couldn't afford the first time these toys were released. Because the were still kids that time and their parents didn't buy them.

3) Nostalgia. These Toys were "the toys" available during the 80's when the series and movie were being shown.

4) Preference. Or some Collectors would still get these toys even if they prefer the Yamatos.

And the list may go on and on and on and on............

MWers may have other views.

here is something i can't understand

why would anybody buy those old macross valk toys! the other day on e-bay i saw one going for more than a yamato...which is obviously better!

I mean i know they are vintage and all but man do they look like crap!!!!

i mean really people just take a good look at them!!!!

anybody have any thoughts? :huh:

I understand why people buy old Taka 1/55...

But I can't understand why prople buy Bandai 1/55 re-releases.... they're just old-looking NEW toys

ok,

i agree with the whole nastalgia thing..i Guess? and i guess this being left out as a child would cause some one to buy those things, but still the new Bandi toys? i mean c'mon ....

you gotta give me that at least!!!!!!! :blink:

anyway to those of you who took the question seriously and offered insightful responses I thank you..... :lol:

Hello, why do people still watch SDF Macross which was made 20 years ago when they can watch newer, 'better' shows today? Years from now, some other collector will probably come up to you and ask "Why do you keep all those funky old Yamatos when you can have X-brand self-transforming Valkyries?" :-)

Playing with them!?

who plays with these things?

i think we may be taking the nastalgia thing a bit too far?  :blink:

please tell me that you guys only display these valks...if not to preserve them ...then well, beacuse grown people playing with toys is just plain wierd!!!!!!

:blink:

collect but don't play!

KYYYYYUUUUUUUUUUUUUNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:p:p:pB))

:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

Playing with them!?

who plays with these things?

i think we may be taking the nastalgia thing a bit too far?  :blink: 

Ehh? Why won't anyone play with it? They're toys. And they're well-built.

I bought a bunch of it for my nephews, too. They love it. They're kids.

please tell me that you guys only display these valks...if not to preserve them ...then well, beacuse grown people playing with toys is just plain wierd!!!!!!

collect but don't play!

"collect but dont play" my ass.

These Taka/Bandais were toys when I was a kid. They're still toys today. Just exclusively displaying them is a stupid waste of money, imho.

Plus it wont give you a heart-attack and crap if it ever falls down from a display-area.

I'd much rather have a 1/55 instead of the corresponding 1/60 (I don't have a 1/48 although the Hikaru VF-1S is tempting) because I think the Yamatos have huge problems that the Bandais don't have. Accuracy, for me at least, isn't that big of an issue as long as they aren't totally inaccurate. Especially since Bandais/Takatokus are better in a number of categories.

it's definately a nostalgia thing.i collect them cause of my desire to have them when i was little,but couldn't.those wants really never die.i like my yamatos better ,but i still have those few 1/55's i love for no good reason. for the love god man,play with your toys!!!!!! i'm 30 years old.i play with my valkyries,i play with my old truck,i play with my new truck,i play with my girl friend & i'm a happier person for it.guys are just like big kids,the toys only get bigger & more expensive ^_^

correction,women are turned on by guys who play.it intrigues a women to see the fire of youth still in man.plus,how are you ever gonna learn to play with a woman if you don't dig playin to begin with ;)

ROTFLMAO!!! ~ 1/2 the guys on this forum are married with kids. The ~ other 1/2 have girlfriends. Women like guys who can play and have fun. It makes for.....good bedside manners. :D

I second that. I still love the old Bandai's. I did get all the reissues. I have none of the originals yet.

and this too:

Many people enjoy the superior durability of the Chunky Monkey design, aside from it's obvious shortcomings regarding accuracy. Others enjoy the nostalgia value, as well as owning a classic piece of Macross history.

It is a part of history that I wanted. I also have Yamato's too so it a collectors thing. :D

and those of you who play....i'm guessing you are not a big hit with the ladies! :blink:

Heh, heh, playing with toys and dating girls are not mutually exclusive hobbies. The two can easily and happily be combined.

Don't tell me you have never heard of the favorite MW game 'hide the nosecone?' :p

Graham

Don't tell me you have never heard of the favorite MW game 'hide the nosecone?' :p

:huh:

I can just see the whiteboards at Yamato - the new Max Jenius VF-1S. With vibrating kung fu action. Coming fall 2004. :D

(BTW, thanks a lot - I'll never look at my toys in the same light again).

ugh wtf are you talking about?i play wiht my toys, am rather OBVIOUS nad notorious for it, tell all the girls i know that i do, AND got great game and the ladies love me. not to mention graham is married and a lot of the members of these boards are either married or ahve a great lovelifwe.

NOT playing with toys and jsut collecting?fu*k THAT!! whata w aste of monery!! PLAY WITH THEM DFAMN IT!! man hwo the hell can you collect a yamato and NOT play with it. and a bandai?HEAVEN

the very definition of a valk and the first thing that mae ot amny opf our midns when Vf-1 is brought up. it started the legacy and in some ways is unurpassed in survivability. great size, CHEAP AS HELL PRICE, HIGH QUALITY, painted decals., TIGHIT AS HELL RATCHETS, HEAVY WEIGHT DURABILITY UP THE WAZOO

HELL YEA ID PLAY WITH IT AND THEN SOME!!! I PLAY WITH THEM ALL AND MY TOYS INCLUDE WOMEN TOO!!!! YES REAL WOMEN!!!

so man either you have sopem bad relationships or you hook up with ther wrong women. ladies precent you from playing with your toys? no no no no mate. dont think your better then us and get women kuz u just collect

there are people like me willing to admit ratehr openly that i play with me valkyries and i dont give a shti what the ladies say. 99% of them love me anyways so it doesnt ever matter. be YOURSELF dont let a woman control your collection.

The 1/55 is all about nostalga and duribility. For alot of people long long ago the taka's and bandai's were the only game in town, now with the lower prices alot of people can obtain the toys they dreamed about during their youth but was so unobtainable before.

Edited by GobotFool

To be honest, I don't really like the yamato line that much. It may be more accurate, but I still think the proportions are off aesthetically. The chest piece and nose cone are a little too big, and the bony girl arms just accentuate this fact. The new TV hands and armor hide this a little better beefing up the arms, but I'll stick with my 1/55 bandai's. I always liked how they looked and the durability can't be beat.

I love chunky monkeys--they remind me so much of my childhood days.

These chunky monkeys are classics especially the Takatokus. They are diecast, durable & highly playable & they have the MADE IN JAPAN tag on them that makes them valuable pieces to collect for any Macross fanatic.

It's just like the Transformers--the G1 TF's are much more valuable than the reissues, when in fact they look the same.

You wouldn't know the difference until you have them---they feel very different. They are my favorites no matter how many macross toys are there ( I have all of the new ones).

Classics will always be classics. They are always the MORE valuable & MORE expensive ones to collect. :rolleyes:

Edited by av427

and those of you who play....i'm guessing you are not a big hit with the ladies! :blink:

riiiiiiiiggggghhhhhtttttt.

dude, don't project your sexual frustrations to us who play with our toys.

We play with our toys. Whether it's Bandai or Yammies or whatever.

Why would anybody wanna deny that? That'll be pretty abnormal to hide that.

Most (if not all) of us also have wives and girlfriends.

I'm pretty much thinking that you, uhh, don't. Hence your ignorant statement quoted above.

have a nice day.

--treatment--

Someone once told me if you play with your toy too long you will go blind :blink:

I prefer Bandai 1:55's and Taka's. Like so many people here have said, they are durable, and have a nice heavy feel to them. Almost every Yamato I have is broke. It sucks just keeping a toy in a box or on a shelf.

Let's all share...

"Hello, my name is Rob"

"And I play with my toys"

(applause, clap, clap clap)

Admitting you play with your toys is the frist step to bright youthful future - Players Aynonmus :ph34r:

= - The great floating head says "Don't be a closet player :angry: "

Rob (Slightly Off Today) MN

Someone once told me if you play with your toy too long you will go blind :blink:

I prefer Bandai 1:55's and Taka's.  Like so many people here have said, they are durable, and have a nice heavy feel to them.  Almost every Yamato I have is broke.  It sucks just keeping a toy in a box or on a shelf.

Let's all share...

"Hello, my name is Rob"

"And I play with my toys"

(applause, clap, clap clap)

Admitting you play with your toys is the frist step to bright youthful future - Players Aynonmus :ph34r:

= - The great floating head says "Don't be a closet player :angry: "

Rob (Slightly Off Today) MN

Money,

Its scary to know that you're a kindegarden teacher. :lol::lol::lol::p

Well, I play with my Bandai (Not the way you described it Monkey). I think the play tern here is misunderstood. Most of us collectors do not play like we would have when we were 10 years old (Having enemy mechs and Valks together and pretending that it is shooting at each other with your own sound effects in the background). Most of us transform the Valks and maybe pretending to be flying by moving it in the air with your hands or something. To some, it might sound like childish act, but, to others it is why you have collection of valks.

And yes, I do have G/F and she does not mind too much about my Macross collections, as long as I stop spending too much money on it (Which is paradox).

Edited by CID

I prefer Bandai 1:55's and Taka's. Like so many people here have said, they are durable, and have a nice heavy feel to them. Almost every Yamato I have is broke. It sucks just keeping a toy in a box or on a shelf.

What do you people do with your Yamatos? :blink: Toss them around? See if they can fly? Cept for the 11 and 1st 19 all my yammato's are in pretty much the same condition as they were when they left the box. And trust me I play with mine alot :lol::p;)

Yamatos certainly aren't fragile, but you definitely have to be more careful when handling them during transformation, unlike the 1/55s which I can flip around from one mode to another blindfolded. I shudder everytime I read about some unfortunate owner whose Yammie snapped somewhere, accidentally or otherwise.

Edited by drifand