The Transformers 3 Thread--A Michael Bay Thread

Transformers 3  

204 members have voted

1. 1. What would you want in Transformers 3?

• Unicron
    • Dinobots
    • More Triple-Changers
    • Omega Supreme and more Gestalts
    • More robots and less human characters
    • A better actress than Megan Fox
    • Mudflap and Skids blown to pieces
    • A better group of script writers
    • A more competent director than Michael Bay / Zoom the camera out during fight scenes
    • Michael Bay's head on a stake
  2. 2. Will Transformers 3 suffer from the "Third Movie Syndrome"?

• Yes
    • No

just saw it...

AWESOME!

As for the Autobots,

Mudflap and skids where perhaps my favorite part of RotF and it sucks they didn't show up again.

Weed or acid?

Haha, acid, meth, weed, I think I'd have to be really, really baked (while on all three) to like the twins, let alone miss them.

Edited by peter

Looking forward to dino and sound wave figs. Hope they really are the car brands used and not some made up hybrid.

glad they didn't use ratchet's name. Wouldn't want ratchet to be so fugly and go out the way he did. Can't stain the Dr smoov version! I was waiting for wheelie and brains to show up again because I can't see them dying when the ship didn't even blow up.

but Ratchet IS in the movie, all three of them. :huh:

Haha, acid, meth, weed, I think I'd have to be really, really baked (while on all three) to like the twins, let alone miss them.

I love them because they're obnoxious, offensive characters that make nerds on the internet Froth at the mouth with rage. ^_^

Edited by anime52k8

Yeah...Ratchet is the green...I dunno fire rescue H2 thing (I'D have to go back and look at TF1). But he's been in all 3, was with Prime

on the moon and survived the whole movie. Q/Que was the "fugly" one that was executed.

Just back from watching this. I don't think my comments will be very spoilery - but I guess if you want to go in (like I did) without knowing ANYTHING beyond "Shockwave is in it" - then you could consider my post a spoiler. READ AT YOUR PERIL...

THE GOOD:

1) Better than ROTF (but that's not saying much, since three hours of a still shot of dog $hit would be better than ROTF)

2) The desert scene with Megatron, Starscream, Laserbeak and Soundwave is evocative of G1 where Laserbeak returns to report and those three are together. Nice touch.

3)Buzz Aldrin, the Star Trek/Spock reference - basically, all of the marginal stuff, including the Comedic Duo, is actually well done this time. This especially goes for Wheelie and the Brain. Unlike Skids and Mudflap, Wheelie and the Brain are mildly funny and fun.

4) The Decepticons actually have a...deceptive plan, and it kind of builds on the previous movies

5) The episode evokes a lot of the G1 episode plots from Season 1 and 2. This movie is basically "Countdown to Extinction" combined with "City of Steel" and "Megatron's Master Plan" (for those of you who don't remember, the first one features Cybertron in Earth's orbit, the second features the Decepticon take-over of a city and turning it into a fortress and the third features the Autobots being banished into space after the humans ally themselves with the Decepticons). As such, the source material for this movie is a really nice combination of those classic plots and evokes some positive memories - generally.

6) Sentinal Prime does justice to his TF: Animated Dickhead persona - when I first heard they were using him, after getting a look at him, I thought "he's too cool to be a dickhead". When it was announced Leonard Nemoy would do his voice, I thought - that settles it. L.N. wouldn't lend his voice to a dickhead. But, I was wrong. This is definitely Transformers: Animated Sentinal Prime - the Dick Head.

THE BAD:

1) Shockwave!!!!!!!!!! WTF!!!???!!!!!! Does he even have any lines beyond "GNWEARIGSFDOIGIREHTIODGH!!!" Seriously - what a total waste. He could have just been some generic Decepticon. It's like - he basically fills in for Devastator from ROTF. What a total dissapointment!!! I mean, I guess I can't accuse them of making Shockwave "out of character" - given that he never says anything and we only see him fighting, it's hard to say what kind of character Shockwave has....but...it's...well...waste :-(

2) Ok. Even the G1 cartoon written for 5 year olds featured massive environmental calamities on Earth when Cybertron entered Earth's orbit. DOTM features NO alterations in Earth's weather - ZERO. Come on!!

3) "The guy hitting on my girlfriend happens to work for Megatron" .... initially I thought this was just way too convenient...but I guess it's in the spirit of the ol' Marvel Comics melodramatic plot lines....

4) Carly's little speech to Megatron was perfectly timed, convenient and...well...kind of wierd...but whatever...

5) HUMANS - TOO MUCH TIME SPENT FINDING CONVENTIENT THINGS FOR THEM TO DO!! OK! OK! Let's...um...let's climb this building to shoot this rocket!!...oh - but we can't shoot the rocket because they knocked the building over!!...ok....so we won't shoot the rocket...instead, we'll go to that other building to shoot out their eyes!!.....ok...ok....now we need to...do...some other stuff...etc etc etc etc...

None of this was suspenceful because it's all been done before....the slow mo...and the yelling...and the "intensity"....AAARRGGHH!!! GRAAAHHH!!! YAAAARGGGHH!!!! RRRRRUUUNNNN!!!! JJJJUMMMPPP!!!! GOOOO!!!!! NOOOO!!!!!! YAAARRRGGGHH!!.... YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWNNNNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Umm...

Overall, I'm kind of neutral about this film.

I guess it was ok. Weren't the Dinobots supposed to be in it?

did I miss them?

Pete

but Ratchet IS in the movie, all three of them. :huh:

I love them because they're obnoxious, offensive characters that make nerds on the internet Froth at the mouth with rage. ^_^

.....and the potheads wonder if they're really high....."wtf is this kush or oregano? This $hit ain't funny?"

Edited by peter

So after thinking about the movie a bit more, I though of a way I'd have like to seen the very end cap off. Basically keep everything the same as it is, but hold off Prime's speech. Then flash forward and do a montage type thing to show how the human characters moved on. After that cut to a shot of the autobots constructing autobot city while Prime gives his little end of movie shpeel. The city itself would be a pretty sweet nod to the 86 movie, and they could add some small nods to other classic characters.

They could have included a shot showing the existing TF characters (and maybe a human or two) standing in front of a memorial erected in honor of fallen comrades (maybe with some holographic depictions). Just to sort of acknowledge that the Autobots do care when one of their own is...torn in half, shot in the head, sacrifices himself to turn Prime into Super Prime, etc.

Granted, this would probably be a costly effects shot, but imo it would have tied up the whole package a bit more completely.

Edited by kaiotheforsaken

Saw it last night. If this is the end of the franchise for now, it was a bad way to end it, but then again, with Bay behind it, I wasn't expecting much. Oh well. Now, someone else can pick up the reins and try to do it justice.

The first one really had me hopeful that we would eventually see a really awesome sky or space battle between Autobots and Decepticons when Starscream took on the fighter planes. We didn't get it in ROTF and not here either. Starscream was the only flying Decepticon, and none of the Autobots took on jet/plane alt modes, which was baffling. Optimus with Jetfire parts/jetpack doesn't count.

And what's up with Bumblebee?! Is his voicebox damaged beyond repair?! The talking-through-radio-stations thing was interesting in the first movie, but it should have been done with after that. Sam getting back to normal life with a new girlfriend and his parents still showing up, again, obviously was thrown in to get some laughs from those who are easily entertained. Getting tired of seeing these hard-ass military personnel who think their poo don't stink. Sentinel Prime should have squashed her.

How did the Autobots not detect the Ark on the Moon?! For highly advanced, sentient, mechanical beings, the fact that they can't detect each other, their own ships, and even humans (the scene where Sam and the rest are hiding from a Decepticon behind structural beams comes to mind) is pretty lame.

All in all, better than the second one, but not by much. There were Autobots missing inexplicably, although some were not missed. Instead of throwing about a half hour away on lame character development and unnecessary characters, they should have added a few more Autobots to make the odds they were facing more believable and really make the last battle an awesome one to end the franchise.

Just back from watching this. I don't think my comments will be very spoilery - but I guess if you want to go in (like I did) without knowing ANYTHING beyond "Shockwave is in it" - then you could consider my post a spoiler. READ AT YOUR PERIL...

THE GOOD:

1) Better than ROTF (but that's not saying much, since three hours of a still shot of dog $hit would be better than ROTF)

2) The desert scene with Megatron, Starscream, Laserbeak and Soundwave is evocative of G1 where Laserbeak returns to report and those three are together. Nice touch.

3)Buzz Aldrin, the Star Trek/Spock reference - basically, all of the marginal stuff, including the Comedic Duo, is actually well done this time. This especially goes for Wheelie and the Brain. Unlike Skids and Mudflap, Wheelie and the Brain are mildly funny and fun.

4) The Decepticons actually have a...deceptive plan, and it kind of builds on the previous movies

5) The episode evokes a lot of the G1 episode plots from Season 1 and 2. This movie is basically "Countdown to Extinction" combined with "City of Steel" and "Megatron's Master Plan" (for those of you who don't remember, the first one features Cybertron in Earth's orbit, the second features the Decepticon take-over of a city and turning it into a fortress and the third features the Autobots being banished into space after the humans ally themselves with the Decepticons). As such, the source material for this movie is a really nice combination of those classic plots and evokes some positive memories - generally.

6) Sentinal Prime does justice to his TF: Animated Dickhead persona - when I first heard they were using him, after getting a look at him, I thought "he's too cool to be a dickhead". When it was announced Leonard Nemoy would do his voice, I thought - that settles it. L.N. wouldn't lend his voice to a dickhead. But, I was wrong. This is definitely Transformers: Animated Sentinal Prime - the Dick Head.

THE BAD:

1) Shockwave!!!!!!!!!! WTF!!!???!!!!!! Does he even have any lines beyond "GNWEARIGSFDOIGIREHTIODGH!!!" Seriously - what a total waste. He could have just been some generic Decepticon. It's like - he basically fills in for Devastator from ROTF. What a total dissapointment!!! I mean, I guess I can't accuse them of making Shockwave "out of character" - given that he never says anything and we only see him fighting, it's hard to say what kind of character Shockwave has....but...it's...well...waste :-(

2) Ok. Even the G1 cartoon written for 5 year olds featured massive environmental calamities on Earth when Cybertron entered Earth's orbit. DOTM features NO alterations in Earth's weather - ZERO. Come on!!

3) "The guy hitting on my girlfriend happens to work for Megatron" .... initially I thought this was just way too convenient...but I guess it's in the spirit of the ol' Marvel Comics melodramatic plot lines....

4) Carly's little speech to Megatron was perfectly timed, convenient and...well...kind of wierd...but whatever...

5) HUMANS - TOO MUCH TIME SPENT FINDING CONVENTIENT THINGS FOR THEM TO DO!! OK! OK! Let's...um...let's climb this building to shoot this rocket!!...oh - but we can't shoot the rocket because they knocked the building over!!...ok....so we won't shoot the rocket...instead, we'll go to that other building to shoot out their eyes!!.....ok...ok....now we need to...do...some other stuff...etc etc etc etc...

None of this was suspenceful because it's all been done before....the slow mo...and the yelling...and the "intensity"....AAARRGGHH!!! GRAAAHHH!!! YAAAARGGGHH!!!! RRRRRUUUNNNN!!!! JJJJUMMMPPP!!!! GOOOO!!!!! NOOOO!!!!!! YAAARRRGGGHH!!.... YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWNNNNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Umm...

Overall, I'm kind of neutral about this film.

I guess it was ok. Weren't the Dinobots supposed to be in it?

did I miss them?

Pete

I'm glad that I'm not the only one that caught the homage to the G1 cartoon plots. It seemed that the filmakers directly lifted these plots with little alteration. Though it makes the autobots seem like dicks after their return. How many people had to die before they decided it was now time to reappear. Optimus Prime is the real dick, not Sentinel. Sentinel at least had a motive. What was Primes?

I thought the movie was pretty good (saw it in 3D), but there was one thing that really irked me:

When Sentinel Prime goes rogue and shoots Ironhide 3 times, killing him, no one really seems to care. Even when his head falls off, people seem to care

less. Why?!! The poor guy has been there since the 1st movie, has saved many of said people's lives multiple times (even optimus if I recall), and no one

gives him or his body a second glance. Its like they (including the autobots themselves) got a case of the "another guy falls, big deal" syndrome or something.

I don't know, maybe its just me, but the lack of any emotion for fallen comrades seemed to plague this movie, especially this scene. Annoyed me a bit.

Even JAZZ got some sympathy in the 1st movie <_<

Rant Over :)

You know it was the same way with the original animated transformers movie:

They were killing off all the old Transformers like they were nothing. Ironhide gets blown away by Megatron in the first few minutes, along with Prowl, and I think Cliffjumper. The only two Transformers to be mourn over was Prime, and Rachet.

That's actually something I almost forgot about. WTF was with the autobots & their disregard for collateral? The freeway scene alone involved WAY to many "accidental" civillian deaths while the "good guys" were pretty much using them as shields.

That's actually something I almost forgot about. WTF was with the autobots & their disregard for collateral? The freeway scene alone involved WAY to many "accidental" civillian deaths while the "good guys" were pretty much using them as shields.

I think that was an example of Bay wanting to have a car chase scene with lots of cars spinning out of control and crashing without realizing: "Hey, there's people in those cars crashing all over the screen!!" :o But to be honest, I really did think about it at the time. ^_^

Here's something that bothered me about the movie:

Optimus Prime offered to give Sentinel Prime the Matrix of Leadership. Sentinel had that one opportunity to take it, but he didn't. Why?

He probably did it so:

Prime would still be the leader of the Autobots which would free Sentinel to carry out his betrayal without Prime always looking over his shoulder, because Prime would have become Sentinel's second in command..I guess.

^_^

To be fair, the movie matrix is pretty useless, aside from randomly bringing people back from the dead I mean :) Now here would have been a decent plot twist. Have Sentinel kill Op, and later have Bumblebee rip the Matrix out of his chest & become a new "Prime."

That would not have been cool with me at all <_< Now if Sentinel just offed Bee...I coulda probably lived with that.

But Keith does have a point, with the Energon device destroyed, the Matrix doesn't have much practical use. I'm not sure it in of itself can even restore life to a Transformer (it may have been the essence of the Primes or something, that really did it). So other than it being a symbolic item of power, there really isn't any reason for Sentinel to take it.

That would not have been cool with me at all <_< Now if Sentinel just offed Bee...I coulda probably lived with that.

But Keith does have a point, with the Energon device destroyed, the Matrix doesn't have much practical use. I'm not sure it in of itself can even restore life to a Transformer (it may have been the essence of the Primes or something, that really did it). So other than it being a symbolic item of power, there really isn't any reason for Sentinel to take it.

WAITAMINUTE!!! How did Prime get the Matrix of Leadership back? In ROTF the Fallen took it from Prime and placed it into the machine that was going to destroy the sun. Prime destroyed the machine with his Jetfire armor!! :blink:

Well...yeah in the Bay universe of Transformers it could; I forgot about the matrix dust. :rolleyes: Thanks!!

This is the same universe that has Prime and all the Autobots all fixed shiney and new, after a major battle. Starscream all fixed up Barracade the same, but Megatron the supposedly most powerful Con all beat up living in Africa covered in Insecticons like fleas. Go figure ?

In Bayvers the next film would have Megs and all the dead Cons back complaining of head aches and be otherwise A1.

Edited by big F

I think you could make the case that not all damage in the head could be repaired and that Megatron had had "brain" damage"and it was sort of malfunctioning (what would explain some of his out of character behavior, like sitting like a bum on the streets of chicago)

You could also make the case that the Autobots would help each other on repairs and the military could supply them with parts and what not, whether if you're a Decepticon, you're pretty much on your own and basically have to handle your own sh*t.

The sucky thing is some of those issues could be easily explained with a simple dialog scene of Ratchet on the base fixing another autobot. I just wish the robots had a little more character development.

This is the same universe that has Prime and all the Autobots all fixed shiney and new, after a major battle. Starscream all fixed up Barracade the same, but Megatron the supposedly most powerful Con all beat up living in Africa covered in Insecticons like fleas. Go figure ?

In Bayvers the next film would have Megs and all the dead Cons back complaining of head aches and be otherwise A1.

I'm of two minds with this film: I enjoyed it, but I think it lacked the definitive "set piece" that each of the first two films had. TF had Arrival to Earth, and ROTF had the awesome Forest Battle. This one... didn't have any one scene that left me going, "OMGGGGGGGG".

Also, Kevin Dunn as Ron Witwicky is my favourite human of the whole series. I just love the dry wit and world-wearyness he had ^_^

Edited by CoryHolmes

The sucky thing is some of those issues could be easily explained with a simple dialog scene of Ratchet on the base fixing another autobot. I just wish the robots had a little more character development.

Sorry, Bayformers only have time to develop useless human characters. Speilberg has lost his integrity for making good films, all he's concerned with is the bottom line - $$. To me, he's soiled his good name with his association to this movie and Michael Bay. The reason Bay is still at the helm is because Bayformers is making money. With all the complaints I read about these movies, it's a miracle they're successful at the box office.

Come to think of it, the animated movie was also a cash-grab if I remember correctly. They killed off all the old bots and introduced new characters so they could sell new toys. That was actually said in the extras on the DVD.

On the bright side, I started watching a cam version last night and I'm not seeing any of the problems the 3D supposedly has :)

Edited by peter

Saw it this weekend. I enjoyed it for what it was. Pure eyecandy. I didn't miss Megan Fox. While she is hot, I don't find her graceful or classy. She's more like "Biker hot" in my opinion. Rosie Huntington-Whiteley was more attractive to me.

I know questioning the plot is pretty silly, considering these types of movies are hardly about plot but

How useful would humans be helping to repair a planet that doesn't appear to have a breathable atmosphere? By the time all the space-suits and ships are made the transformers could have just done it themselves

Saw it this weekend. I enjoyed it for what it was. Pure eyecandy. I didn't miss Megan Fox. While she is hot, I don't find her graceful or classy. She's more like "Biker hot" in my opinion. Rosie Huntington-Whiteley was more attractive to me.

I agree, Megan is Hot, but Rosie is classy. It's like one you would date, and the other you would marry. :D