SCRATCH-BUILD 4 Feet Macross DYRL SDF-1

MaveRick

• 2 weeks later...

hello guys.. .sorry if it took me a while to update this build..

i have been busy lately with work and renovating our house.. i totally converted my two old rooms into my very own dedicated display area... work pretty much lasted for roughly two months...

3924351187_82b077550f_m.jpg3924351199_72dd0c21ab_m.jpg4038748132_08f942dcec_m.jpg

3924333115_f01d16307c_m.jpg3924320877_bd03407976_m.jpg4018881416_aa6aa002a5_m.jpg

now back to the project.. i've already build the base form for the boosters.. i injected my own preference by making the booster more streamlined looking by adding a little curve on it.. it would have been easier though if i stick strictly with the line art and make it look boxy.

4095547552_512aa3560e.jpg

4095547554_78deb2fa8e.jpg

4095547546_ecf4f59125.jpg

still have to add up those minute details and edges on the booster.. will continue working on it this weekend.. hopefully i'll be able to put up everything by the end of the month.

thanks for looking :)

Edited by MaveRick

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Beautiful rooms and build! VERY NICE! Hang in there with the build! - MT
Quality job on the deck man I never knew you could used acrylic talcum powder that way. How do you keep all those lines so crisp? In any case you need to get that in a magazine dude your sure to get some notoriety for such a professional job.

• 3 weeks later...

Hm.

Watched the trailer.

Hm.

It could be good.

It looks a bit too "clean" ... but then, I never saw the original anime... but...hm...

it could be good.

I do appreciate the fact that the movie is in Japanese.

Pete

Hm.

Watched the trailer.

Hm.

It could be good.

It looks a bit too "clean" ... but then, I never saw the original anime... but...hm...

it could be good.

I do appreciate the fact that the movie is in Japanese.

Pete

?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

sorry guys.. a lot of things came up lately, problems here and there that has deprived me the luxury of time at working on this project.

i managed to do 'lil work on this project though last week.

i'll post some updated pics tonight.. just need to work on this pile of paperworks i have on my desk.. :angry:<_<

again.. sorry for the very late reply..

project is roughly at 80% completion.. i've managed to build both boosters and hooked them up to the main hull..

nuff said.. here's some quick updated pics.. sorry for the crappy pics, got too lazy to check on my camera settings:

4353522202_0d93240d4b.jpg

4353521854_425106e326.jpg

4352773997_044c1d1737.jpg

4353521072_5aae8dd1a1.jpg

thanks for lookings guys :)

Absolutely AWESOME work! It was worth the wait. I think the next question is, "when are you going to make resin copies?" ^_^ It would finance your other hobby projects ;) - MT

And fund a good few resin manufacturers :)

Way to go Maverick, that is a masterpiece!! Looks amazing as is, however I’m sure once you make the final finishing touches it will be mind blowing.

You have a definite right here if you ever contemplate making resin copies for sale. Keep up the awesome work :D

Guys there is no way this would be made into a resin kit. If it is at all possible it would require a fibergalss mould in a wooden lay-up (rtv would too heavy and probably tear itself up under it own weight when demoulding) FG moulds are expensive, time consuming, and pretty tricky and demanding things to make plus the tend not to last as long. so we are talking about a very expensive process here.

Oh yeah and by the way Maverick fabulous job! she looks beautiful. you should feel proud?

Edited by Chas

With all the stereolithographic services available today, would it be possible get a 3D imaging business to plot & scan this model's dimension data and then get it laser cut/carved into styrofoam blocks or even lamination slices of corrugated cardboard or hard pressboard?

The completed sections/laminations could be used as a skeletal "base" kit to which a capable hobbyist could apply surface finishing and details. I envision pressboard lamination sections like a more filled-out version of those dinosaur skeletons out of thin plywood. Just cover with styrene sheets or PVC to skin or even add an articulated/hinged wood or metal armiture on the inside for transformation purposes.

Something like that wooden SDF-01 that guy crafted in his garage, but not so clunky & mis-proportional

This would be a lot closer to a SDF model any man could own/build in appreciable size than what most garage companies could do in resin or limited run. Open to a lot more interpretation by the builder than the promised DX/Bandai or potential Yamato offerings.

Just thoughts on giving your craftsmanship a legacy, Maverick....[one we'd all like a piece of B))

• 4 weeks later...