SCRATCH-BUILD 4 Feet Macross DYRL SDF-1

MaveRick

wm cheng: thanks.. i wish i had your modelling/painting talent though.. i kinda lack at that department :unsure:

cool8or: if i could.. then i would.. but then that would be too much for me :lol:

big F: i'm doing this build back in the comforts of my own room where no body touches anything.. from what happened, working outside my place seems to be a bad idea.. anyway, i'm taking my time on this build.. but i do hope i could finish this in a month or two :)

Kelsain: yup it's 1/2.. and about the vinyl blocks, it's about 1.3mm, weight twice as heavy than the hard type cboard and just firm enough that i had to scribe it using a blade for the curve areas.. what i like about the materials it it's sturdiness.. i tried dropping the bridge at around 5 feet, and still everything's at one piece :lol:

Ignacio Ocamica and miriya: thanks.. i would have decided to drop the entire project, just do myself a favor and take my much needed rest.. but reading all your comments here just gave me the boost to do everything back to square one. hopefully it goes well, i'll surely be able to finish this project.

Edited by MaveRick

great build, MaveRick!

congratulations on graduating from cardboard to vinyl B))

Kent Vinyl flooring tile, right?

stick to the single-color tiles. the laminated ones are terrible to work with.

try to find the 1.1mm tiles, they're usually less brittle than the 1.3mm & usually don't have the checkered pattern at the back. :)

505thAirborne: thanks again adam...

MechTech: i dunno if scarcity of resources is good.. but yeah.. i think one gets to think and squeeze more of his creative juices when face with such constraints..

UN_MARINE: thanks.. it's inevitable, i always had the feeling that i'll need to abandon the cardboard material and shift to another sooner or later.. i'm not sure of it's brand, but it's around 1.3mm without those checkered pattern you mentioned.. bending is a bit tricky, but i'm starting to get the hang of it.

Guys... i'll be posting my progress pics later.. :)

Edited by MaveRick

Hello Maverick,

Great build! Sayang, that you have to trash your DYRL sdf-1. Sana, you can build two versions in the future.

Anyway, If I have joined MW Forums earlier, we might have a chance to meet last year or early this year when were still working there, doing DVI work.

Hope you find more inspiration to finish your work and MABUHAY!

Nick

hi guys.. this is how far i've gone with the project:

Planned at finishing the bridge with its internal details.. but i wasn't able to find the right materials.. so skipped on that part, and decided to start doing the ship's main body.. i've managed to do the upper part where the bridge will be situated..

3728877721_14de2a8a0f.jpg

3728877727_647ee898d8.jpg

i've also started with some detailings on it (destroid mounts and cannons.. still need some sanding ang might as well use putty on some parts..)

3728877729_12d2ac5751.jpg

3728877733_5e7efe3c42.jpg

3728877761_febaf9eeb6.jpg

3728889521_f2c5ce57d6.jpg

3728889527_543511f05f.jpg

and here's a mock-up combination with the bridge.. i changed the bridge's antenna too

3728889537_67062d5148.jpg

3728889539_2d2b6e5308.jpg

well just an idea of its size so far.. that box on the backdrop's a 1/60 VF-1D Valkyrie :D

3728889545_612d2a472e.jpg

thanks for looking.. will update you guys again by next week.. ;)

Edited by MaveRick

great progress! keep it up ^_^

UN_MARINE: thanks.. it's inevitable, i always had the feeling that i'll need to abandon the cardboard material and shift to another sooner or later.. i'm not sure of it's brand, but it's around 1.3mm without those checkered pattern you mentioned.. bending is a bit tricky, but i'm starting to get the hang of it.

no problem :)

here's the checkered pattern on the 1.3mm

post-2535-1247849650_thumb.jpg

and here's the 1.1mm next to the 1.3mm

post-2535-1247849767_thumb.jpg

try warming the material up before bending. body heat will do.

the material's a little sensitive to heat, it will sag if it gets warm enough.

BTW, you might want to check your cutter's blade every 1 tile you use.

i used to swap out blades a lot. it's great stuff, but it's tough on tools :)

thanks a lot guys for appreciating :)

>EXO<: will.. give you more reasons to, i still have two other projects after this one.. depending on how much free time left for me, i might be able to finish the other one (which i opted to keep it confidential) together with this build.. It's more of a customization over a 1/48 yamato valk.. I promise to share it with you guys after it's done..

valkyriepm: thanks.. i've been following your build thread on prometheus and really great job on it.

cool8or: i dunno if it's fast.. but i spent roughly 40 hours (i had my entire saturday and sunday spent on working on it.. then a couple of hours after i got back home yesterday)

UN_MARINE: thanks a lot dude.. yup, that's basically what i did with the curve parts, other than scribing on some edges.. the whole body's been reinforced with frames on the inside and a layer of hard cardboard just to make sure it's sturdy.

Edited by MaveRick

Awesome work Maverick! It's really taking shape. All that from flooring tiles too! Another source for styrene you might find is in commercial signs. I've noticed my local hardware store sells signs like "beware of dog" and "no smoking." Some plastic food serving ware is made from it too. Just some ideas. Styrene is everywhere, even yogurt cups are made from it. - MT

Maverick@

Holy cow bro...this I really have to see...gonna go to your house in the future to finally see your macross Collection, custom works and others whether you like it or not... :lol:

...though I'll still be needing to hitch a ride with you because I don't know where you live

Again, awesome custom work...I better check out this new material of yours that you're using. Looks and sounds interesting.

MechTech: thanks.. i'll need to use another material on some parts of the boosters, will probably check on some plastic stuff that might be usable.

gian7675: my crib is always open to fellow hobbyist, especially macross fans, just let me know when do you intend to drop by..

big F: LOL!!

Some updates:

Haven't had that much updates as of last week.. only managed to work on this build for few hours, so i opted to skip last week without any updates. Also got sick since tuesday, and 'til now i still have this nasty flu, but just wanna get this going.. so now here's my progress since my last update so far..

did the details on the back area of the main hull.. (click on the picture to view larger version)

3775532998_b44b914d2f_m.jpg

main hull's secondary triple-barreled particle cannon, mounted on the forward main hull.. it's detachable and can be replaced by six missile launchers.. which i still have to build as well.

3775476412_48f5c3f075_m.jpg

most of the time was spent on doing the SDF's main cannons.. as you can see, it's already taking shape

3775476416_2633983657_m.jpg

3775476368_352a5212f5_m.jpg

main particle cannon situated on the each side.. and triple barrel turrets..

3775476422_036fedafa2_m.jpg

some detailings made underneath the main hull..

3775476410_4368b1682e_m.jpg

torpedo tubes, and missile box launchers on the main cannon..

3775476426_b51e722030_m.jpg

Edited by MaveRick

and here are some mocked up combination of all sections so far:

3775533002_4a8855a955.jpg

3775533004_a37b2d679f.jpg

3775533006_f758628873.jpg

3775533000_f21acab03e.jpg

3775784634_d671fde413.jpg

still have to work on the front section of the main cannon.. (particle cannon on the flanks and other detailings)

thanks for looking.. :)

/me needs to get some decent rest..

Edited by MaveRick

Some updates:

Haven't had that much updates as of last week.. only managed to work on this build for few hours, so i opted to skip last week without any updates.

Wow, if that's the progress of a few hours....

It's amazing, and with your project there's nothing to envy from all of those other scratchbuilds that appear in the Japanese mags!!!

OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!

You are a genius! I want to see this in person!

Will it come apart once it is finished so that you can bring it to MacrossWorld Convention 10.0 next year? I hope so.....

>EXO<, KiriK & Eugimon: thanks guys... hard part is yet to come.. arms and the section connecting the main booster's something i've been brainstorming right now, i tried to push the tile's flexibility by heating it up, but it just tends to break.. but i already have a couple of options as to what materials to use.. don't wanna compromise the ship's sturdiness..

Ignacio Ocamica: i still envy those neat stuff i get to read from japanese mags, as you noticed i've been here in macross world for quite a while and it's just recently that i started to do this scratchbuilding thing! everything just started out of the luxury of time, buffered with boredom! i honestly think i still need to learn more on painting part :unsure:

Knight26: i thought of the same thing at first.. but made a decision to have it just fixed.. if i am going to do some articulation on the main cannon, and knowing my tendencies, i might just make the whole thing transformable! even before i started this build i wasn't so confident so as to try something as bold as making some as big transformable and with some electrical components. Well maybe on my next build.. i'll do a fully transformable type.. as for now i'm pretty much satisfied with how it's turning out so far :)

Miriya: yup.. the whole thing can be broken down to parts, i kinda anticipated that possibility of taking this out of my house one of these days.. what i like about this build from the first two s.builds is i can literally just let this one be exposed elements without worrying if ever it will still be at one piece. :D

big F: other than this build.. i'm doing something mountable on a 1/48 valkyrie.. (will only share it here when it's finally done) :rolleyes:

Edited by MaveRick

Nice bert. Getting to see this in person on the weekends is really exciting (just like your launch arm and factory sb). Ill follow your build from here since its much more interesting and detailed than the other forum. ;)

WoW MaveRick!--I'm never disappointed peeking in on the forum. This kind of scratchbuilding is what we all should be doing instead of waiting for Yamato/Bandai/Aoshima etc. to build us toys.

There are enough creative people to get prototypes up and going and others with knowledge of molding and making copies of components for garage kits & toys we desire.

Happy to see someone do great things with cardboard, although i can understand you switching to something that can be shaped like vinyl. I'd recommend stick with stiff cardboard when you begin to encounter heat/sagging issues, especially with increasing size and weight! Stuff can get HEAVY fast.

My solution for detailing and surface hardening cardboard is Minwax Polycrylic and other water based polyurethane/acrylic resins. They thin with water and even alcohol/acetone(drying time). You can mix in acrylic paint and enamels to some degree for colouration/tinting.

To create a hard, smooth surface that you can also scribe, you add talcum powder and/or fine sawdust which you then smooth with a damp sponge as it dries to get a level finish. Sanding and thinned finish coats can provide a smoth gloss. Any adhesive can be used on it and large, compound shapes can be achieved with styrofoam add-on, overlayed with thin card, which is then treated with the WBPU/talc treatment. This should blend large, complex shapes.

I'm in Japan and I like to use cellulose kids modelling clay from the '100Yen'-stores to sculpt Gundam heads & armor. I carve, sand and then finish with thinned epoxy glue for durability. Unfortunately, I'm deploying so my stuffs all packed away.

Far be it for me to skool you on creating, though! You've made incredible, accurate & beautiful work in no time!

And, YES!...go full throttle, balls-to-walls--MAKe THAT SUCKA TRANSFORMABLE!!! :DB))