SCRATCH-BUILD 4 Feet Macross DYRL SDF-1

MaveRick

Hey guys, it's been over a week since i finished my second project build.. but even before it's completion, i was already planning on doing my third project.. a 4 feet long MACROSS DRYL SDF-1.. it's quite an ambitious build, that i'm not even sure if i could actually do it.. but anyways, since i've started doing scratch build projects recently, then i might as well try it.

I started doing some research, compiling all pics i can grab on it over the internet. i had a hard time looking at the line art pics, so i turned to my WAVE SDF-1 to figure out on how i'm gonna put on all intricate details. I was contemplating whether to make it fully transformable to attack mode which might require some compromise on the details and maybe a 'lil more brainstorming on how i'm gonna do portions that needs to be transformed, or just make it static, but with all the details and electronics implemented (lights, some parts rotating like radars and the like)... anyway, after over an hour of contemplating, i decided to choose on the later.. i think it's a safer route for me.

wish me luck guys.. :rolleyes:

Edited by MaveRick

thanks vegas.. already started working on it today.. basically spent the whole day working on the bridge part.. i'll post pictures later (currently uploading them) :D

edit: oppsss... kicker.. i will.. don't worry.. hopefully when this will be materialized i don't have any new project in mind to build..

Edited by MaveRick

here's my first progress pictures.. basically worked on the ships main body (center part) and the bridge.. i wasn't so happy with how the bridge turned out, it appears a bit wider with no more space for the round part, so i'm gonna have to do some changes on it..

3666101978_11055c7a81_m.jpg

already placed some minute details on the body, with a few holes on some part where i'll be putting on some lights underneath.. basically i intend to give the build somewhat the same light colors as this: (yellow, red and blue rectangular parts)

3666101966_f3bc1aa030_m.jpg3666101970_8873d80c9a_m.jpg

3666101974_6f964c2f12_m.jpg3665308087_2c5d4d4c3d_m.jpg

3666101984_b2c2d0e2c1_m.jpg

macross-dyrl-cruiser.gif

I can't wait to see the finished article, its looking great so far! I know a guy who is a pro model builder and I have nothing but respect for anyone who can build something from scratch, especially when it comes to scribing and technical/mechanical reproduction (plus the lighting is going to kick some serious ass!!). Good luck!

thanks guys.. somehow it gives me this feeling of excitement, anxiousness and pressure at the same time.. i really hope i could get this done as planned.. AND FAST. (Hopefully i could finish this in in a month or two)

currently modifying the bridge, and the rest of the main body.. will post pictures by weekend..

big F: did the planning and scaling the other week, which took about two days.. then just slowly working on it since wednesday last week (roughly 1-2 hours, then spend the entire weekend working on it), fortunately a friend of mine was kind enough to let me stay at his place..

Major Focker: for this build, i used both hard type cardboard (the one's being used for picture frames) and wall cladding tiles (rubberized and a bit flexible thingy mostly used for wall finishings and sometimes for flooring). As much as possible i wanna make it as lightweight as possible without compromising its sturdiness.

thegunny: i kinda like that version better.. :D

Edited by MaveRick

Awesome and FAST work so far Maverick! If I wasn't studying and playing with my children, I'd give you a run for your money :lol: Keep it up man, lookin' good! (insert really suave Filipino text here) - MT

P.S. - If you want to add motion to your model, check out my link below to Gizmoszone. His motors are great and run smooth. The smallest diameter is a mere 6mm. I'm going to have to buy more myself soon. If you're picky, you may want to wrap whatever motors you end up using in a rubber grommet to insulate the nise that goes through the model. - MT

Edited by MechTech

Well he said it's going to be 4ft. SDF-1 is approximately 1210 m (before 2012).

4 ft = 1.2192 m

ergo the scale is 1:993.

Thanks, I couldn`t be bothered to look up the SDF-1 stats and figure it out myself

hey guys.. i appreciate all the comments.. hate to break it but to my dismay, what i've worked so far ended up in the garbage bin.. got so furious about it.. :angry: :angry: :(:angry:

i guess i'm really better off working in my own workplace... i intend to go back to square one as soon as i get back to my house this weekend.. i've manage to get more detailed reference and cg rendering on the TV version SDF.. so i'm thinking i might do the TV Version instead.

will update you guys by weekend..

Sorry to hear about the little "mishap".

I am sure now you'll get back to it twice as faster.

I'll stay in line for a recast of the kit... he,he..

Hang in there Maverick! Sometimes things like that are for the better and we don't see it until it's all over and done. I've rebuilt several parts of my Daedalus up to three time getting things the way I wanted them to look. I feel your pain man! Compound that with a couple of accidents my children caused. Keep us posted.

If you have access to it, something that that is strong and light is Gatorboard. It's foam core with a styrene outside so you can glue model pieces and spares right on to it. Smooth surface and you can scribe it too. Plus it will be light weight (a good thing in a 4 foot long model. I almost used it myself. - MT

WTF who put it in the bin ??

I'd have them killed.

I do feel your paint as several of my projects have been ended due to someone thinking they are junk and putting them in the trash. :(

Hey guys, i'm back... well.. after about two day's i've managed to pacify myself.. it's the first time afterall that something like this happened.. but yeah, i'm just focusing on the good side of the situation.. (i kept telling myself that the first one didn't turned out as accurate as i wanted it to be anyway) i've managed to channel my depression over my work's mishap so far with working on a better plan and doing more research.. i've decided to do the TV Version instead..

MechTech: thanks a lot for the tip and sympathy.. will try to look for it, hopefully i can find it here locally. Since i'll be doing the TV Version, of which compared to the DYRL version have better streamline design but most of the part are curvy, so i will discard the hardtype cardboard this time as one of my main materials.. i've experimented bending cladding blocks by heating a portion of it where i do the curves and so far it turned out pretty good!

anyway... here's my UPDATE.. i dropped the "CARD BOARD" as my main material for this build, i thought of using styrene sheets, but with its scarcity in my location, i researched for some other materials closely the same to it.. no luck either with mechtech's suggested material.. went to a couple of hardware shops, 'til a particular material caught my attention - a rubberized vinyl plastic tile.. tried to buy one and test it for curving and it turned out pretty good!

i started working on the bridge area.. i wanted to make it as accurate as possible this time, so i just took my time doing all the minute detailing.. i think one thing i learned from my last build too is not to rush things..

3707252008_97eef3b293.jpg

3706438393_726be43d9b.jpg

3706437717_761b08880e.jpg

3707242650_89bfd2da87.jpg

3707252624_d43071aa18.jpg

3707251046_bf000be292.jpg

here's how it looks like with lights installed:

3707244660_7cd2fdafbb.jpg

i'll also do some articulation on the bridge's left part since i noticed from other pictures it appears to be connected to the main control area (in attack mode), while at some pictures it appears to be separated.. (cruiser mode)

3707243872_7cef604c18.jpg

the bridge's about 80% done.. still have to the following:

- detailed bridge internals

- detailing for bridge's back portion

- more sanding on curve areas

hopefully i could continue on working this by next weekend..

thanks for looking guys :)

Edited by MaveRick

WoW! Fantastic... I'm subscribed... hooked line and sinker...

You scratch builders always amaze me with what you can do from absolutely nothing... cheers to you!

Wow!! This is trully awesome! I prefer the TV version, so I can't wait to see it finished!

the bridge's about 80% done.. still have to the following:

- detailed bridge internals

Please tell me that you are not thinking in to make the Bridge Crew... Its size would be 1.8 mm!! :wacko:

:lol: