Foreign Movies Discussion

Have you seen a foreign movie and want to tell others about it? Or do you want to discuss/critique a foreign movie that you saw. Then this is the thread.

Maybe you saw a movie when you were younger but you can't remember the name, such as the movies on "Kung Fu Theatre" that came on the USA cable network back in the 80's, and you hope that somebody knows the name.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qi...11232824AAMtFK2

http://www.poetv.com/video.php?vid=34049

Then this is the thread too.

I have to recommend the movie Chingoo (친구)/Friend.

friend.jpg

friend2.jpg

Friend is the emotional, violent and compelling story of four schoolmates growing up over two decades in Pusan. After being very close during their school days, two of the boys go away to college whereas the other two stay at home. When the boys return from their schooling they are shocked to discover that one of their friends is in prison and the other is on drugs. But this is just the beginning for these two boys who eventually find themselves fighting for opposing sides of a vicious and deadly gang war.

Directed by Kwak Kyung Taek, Friend broke the all-time box office record when it was released in Korea in 2001. Starring Jang Dong Gun (Taegukgi), Yoo Oh Sung (Attack The Gas Station), Seo Tae Hwa (Public Enemy), and Jung Woon Taek (My Boss, My Hero), the film is an epic and brutal study of friendship, loyalty, and betrayal.

Edited by DJ Loe Kee

Swallowtail Butterfly (Shunji Iwai, 1997) is one of my all-time favorite movies, and I think it's a crime that it was never released in the U.S.

It's hip, it's fun, it's sexy, it's sad, it's violent, and it's got awesome, awesome music.

Anyway, here's the Yen Town Band performing the song that influenced them the most...

Well - living in Eastern Europe, I have come across some movies that I never knew existed that are very very wierd when viewed from an American perspective.

Anything by Polish director Stanislaw Bareja - he directed comedies under communism; and they're great because all he did was show everyday life under communism - which was so ridiculously absurd that it was funny - but he got away with it precisely because he didn't do anything except just show everyday life. So - during communism his movies were considered banal - kind of like making a movie about an American who gets up, drinks coffee, drives to work, comes home and goes to sleep on teusday. The thing is - because "everyday life" was so ridiculous - just showing it was criticism and comedy enough - you didn't have to add anything.

Some of these movies are less esoteric than others. Don't start from "Dark Haired Stranger Visits in the Evening" unless you have lots of mind altering drugs on hand because you'll fall asleep and be very very very confused (showed it to a friend from the States who visited and he totally got lost).

However - you can try "No Roses Without Fire" or "This Phone Call Is Being Recorded" - those should be comprehensible... well... maybe "comprehensible" is the wrong word but... er.... they aren't TOO confusing...

If you're the kind of person who likes figuring out why you go to the butcher's meat shop and ask for some spare parts to fix your engine and the butcher opens a meat freezer and pulls out engine parts....

As to more modern films - also Eastern European - I've seen some good Chech movies lately - one of them was called 'Happiness' and other than having the feeling that the lead character really REALLY needed to take a bath, it was a good movie. There's also Bottles for Return (as in taking empty bottles back to the super market and getting some money for them) which was a very enjoyable movie...

Hmm...what else?

In terms of non-European stuff... my girlfriend keeps showing me movies full of violent sex, murder, seduction, lust and adultery. Of the top of my head, it's hard for me to remember the titles because there have been so many of them. There was one with Jeremy Irons where he played a Minister in the British Government who had an affair with his son's fiance. Another one was about a wife who has an affair with a young bookish kind of guy and then her husband murders him in a fit of rage and they have to cover it up. There was also some Spanish movie about a writer who goes on vacation and has sex with a random girl in a river and knocks her up, comes home and gets seduced by another girl in a bar, ends up living with her, and then the random girl comes back and is like "hey this is your daughter" and then gets him to move in with them and seduces him as well but while they're having sex the dog does something violent (can't remember - I think I stopped watching at that point)... There was also a movie with Robert Redford, Bruce Willis's ex-wife ---Demi Moore (that's it!) and the guy who played Larry Flint... They need money for their dream house and the economy is bad so they go to Vegas and win some money, then Robert Redford offers to pay some huge sum of money to sleep with the guy's wife if he agrees and they talk it over and agree but this leads to their marriage falling apart and Robert Redford trying to prove that everyone is for sale. Hmm... there was also this old French movie set in France - but then we're back to European movies... with some classy girl and her young lover who doesn't fit in to her high class society because he's not rich. So, when he has a public argument with her - everyone stares him down and makes him feel bad because he has no standing of his own without her - or something like that. There was also this movie about a college professor who sleeps with his female students only after exams are over and he starts an affair with one of them but they break up and she gets cancer.

Finally - there's that new Woody Allen movie - Barcelona - which is really good. Is that foriegn?

Pete

I really liked Let The Right One In......it is was Twilight should have tried to be. Unfortunately the great Hollywood machine is already remaking the film to Americanize it for dumb audiences, and thus it will turn into another Twilight. They already changed the names of the main characters.

[REC] sounds like quarantine. did quarantine remake [REC] or just borrow its scenario (i haven't seen quarantine)?

Quarentine is the American remake... which gave away the ending in the frakking trailer <_< (so don't see it!)

Is it too late to recommend Dark Blue World (Tmavomodrý svět)? Czech movie about two pilots who escape the Nazi invasion and go on to fight on the Battle of Britain... and have a little bit of a one sided romantic triangle. And it is a good movie to boot. Think Pearl Harbor done good (and without the bombastic visuals).

IMDB entry for Tmavomodrý svět

Edited by Lindem Herz