Yamato VF1s, which one is most accurate?

dante144

With all improvements here and there, the 1/60 v2 still can't best the 1/48 to me.

IMHO, the 1/48 has the optimized size as a big toy - it looks big and cool, and further bigger would render it unwieldy.

I don't have any complaints except for the chicken hands.

Some people do think size does matter, but I love all the new features in V2 VF-1 and it's a good size toy in 1/60:

1. First VF-1 toy that has double elbow

2. Head is scuplted and composed from front and rear piece so no more seamline, not left and right like 1/48.

3. A better propportion chest plate

4. Leg are attached at a better proportion location.

5. New tooling technology enable the toy look seemless and part are fit together nicely.

Well, it's just me.

To each of its own, with no doubt that 1/48 look great in fighter mode.

http://www.hlj.com/product/YMT00050

Still there..... for now anyway, so make your move if you really want it fast.... but i suggest that you might wanna pick up a few other items that you've always wanted to defray the shipping costs.... apparently quite a few things are on sale... so shop to your hearts content

My bad. I didn't see them in the main listing of Mega Sales page but only the woodland GBP-1S armor. :lol:

My bad. I didn't see them in the main listing of Mega Sales page but only the woodland GBP-1S armor. :lol:

It was a version one 1/60 Super VF-1J. I talked them down to $44, which I think was fair.

I also put in an order for the angel bird! Word!

Pretty satisfied.

Congrats on your purchase. These 2 will be the seeds of many more to come...

Ah, I actually had 2 of the vf-1a and 1d before. I still own 4 Valks from the Macross Plus series, 2 vf-11s and a yf-19 and a yf-21 , all purchased around 1999 to 2000 or so.

I am excited about getting the 1/48 Valk, though. I forgot how flimsy(?) the original 1/60 vf-1 was. Tell me the 1/48s are more sturdy?

Edited by dante144

• 2 weeks later...

I got my Angel Bird! Thanks for the advice on the HLJ sale!

It is my first 1/48 yamato valk! I like it! Surprised that it is so light. Hardly any die cast metal, I assume? I haven't transformed it yet. Is it fragile?

Edited by dante144

Congrats on your Angel Bird's arrival, and glad that you like it!

yes, they are very sturdy, in fact, the posings will be pretty much rock solid, and yes, very little metal, but you'll probably appreciate it when it comes to holding a pose. And no worries about durability, as long as you handle it like a mature adult and not a 3 year old, it will last you a very long time to come. I know, I own probably close to a dozen of 1/48s! LOL~!

I got my Angel Bird! Thanks for the advice on the HLJ sale!

It is my first 1/48 yamato valk! I like it! Surprised that it is so light. Hardly any die cast metal, I assume? I haven't transformed it yet. Is it fragile?

Yeah, the weight surprised me as well coming from my experience with the old 1/60s. It's a real beauty IMO. I bought my Angel Bird the first time it went on sale a while back. Unfortunately back then the fastpacks and armor weren't on sale like they were recently. Only problem I had with mine is/was the floppy air break(?) which I fixed.

Someone somewhere else online claimed the Angel Birds yellow really badly but mine has had no problems with this.

The only thing I can suggest to be careful with other than the backpack area is the hip area. I stressed one of the peg like protrusions a little in the fuselage recess area that holds the hip bar on mine.

Take it out of the box and play with it, gosh!

Oh I am. I surely am. I most assuredly am.

If it does yellow I am planning on doing a custom paint job on it(which was the plan from the beginning , but I fell in love with it out of the box)

Does HLJ often have sales like this on Yamato Valks? What ones have been on sale before?

Does HLJ often have sales like this on Yamato Valks? What ones have been on sale before?
It seems like with the 1/48s going out and with the sagging economy it's become more frequent. I don't recall the 1/60s or 1/72s being discounted but maybe I'm wrong. For sure the 1/48 Angel Birds is the deepest discounted and the best deal I've seen go on for Macross. I wasn't even going to buy any 1/48s because of their size but at the price I couldn't resist. I suppose HLJ still made decent money off of me as I bought the fast packs and armor for it at full price <_<

The standard defender markdown was also a deal I couldn't resist. It went off sale real quick though even without the whole stock going out. It might be an instance where HLJ does sales just to free up warehouse space for newer product? It is in Japan after all and there isn't exactly an abundance of storage space over there. Although it does make me curious of how much mark up is on these things since apparently they can afford 30-60% mark downs and stay in business.

So far I have not seen any other 1/48 gone for 60% off, and definitely not for such a long period of time.

Closest was the 1/48 Low vis 2 and GBP set which went for 50% off, but that only lasted not too long.

Also a couple of others that went for 50% off: 1/60 YF-21 which only was on sale for less than 1 day and the 1/60 VF-1A Hikaru super/strike set which only lasted 2 days

Of course Angel Birds are cheap. People want hero or army builder paint jobs not School Girl Valks.
School Girl Valks? You don't say? I suppose the Macross equivalent of the US Air Force's Thunderbirds or the US Navy's Blue Angels would be staffed by a lot of prepubescent females...

Also note some of the "hero" fastpack bundled 1/48s have gone severely discounted as well but since they're prebundled they're still at least $50 or $60 more than the naked AB.

Here's a link to the blog that indicates all the difference between all VF-1 toy up to date, very detailed side by side comparison.

http://anymoon.com/blog/2008/09/22/vf-1-to...omparison-post/

I don't know about any of you, but Yamato certainly win my heart, and the V2 is what I will go for in term of accuracy, price point and size.

Thank you for the lead to a very informative post. ^_^

Thank you for the lead to a very informative post. ^_^

Thanks for those who brougth that post back up. I went and fixed the links in it and updated the 1/60 V2 section to mention the upgrades in the upcoming releases and the fragile shoulders of the first run of Roy's VF-1S :(

The 1/48 line of VF-1s, for all intents and purposes is now EOL. There are not likely to be anymore of them released, other than the Kakizaki version which is going to be shipped in Sep.

The 1/60 V2 VF-1 is a new line which has only started just last July. there are a lot more colors coming (canon and non-canon i guess), and have quite a bit more variety than the 1/48s.

Both to me looks great and are more or less anime accurate and has both their advantages and flaws as well. Whatever you do, unless you are very sure of what you are getting, I wouldn't advise a V1, unless it is going for really dirt cheap.

The biggest draw of the 1/48 is the size, and its fighter mode. Of course, now that it is EOL and more or less replaced by the new 1/60 V2 line, prices have started to come down somewhat, it is pretty much value for money, just look ard to check out the prices.

The 1/60 v2 has quite a bit of variety and feature the 2 seaters that the 1/48s never had, thus a more complete line if you ask me and more to come!

Anyway, it all boils down to whether you just want one for display, in which case I'll recommend a 1/48. If you a completist, then you probably be more happy with the 1/60 v2.

But trust me. you won't stop with just one.

Wait, what? They are discontinuing the 1/48s? Really? Why? Still loving my angel bird, BTW..

Wait, what? They are discontinuing the 1/48s? Really? Why? Still loving my angel bird, BTW..

I hope not, I wouldn't mind buying more exclusives (just not the weathered versions).

Graham had stated in the past that Yamato was done with the 1/48 line and to this day they're still making repaints. Go Yamato!

The 1/48 line is done. Unless yamato has plans for 2-seater 1/48s (which wont happen unless Graham's contact tells him otherwise) It makes more economical sense that Yamato move over to the 1/60 line and continue. 1/60 v2 line is getting to be popular as it is anime accurate.

For the record, I am happy with both lines but I am more partial to the 1/48s. As I stated before I like the realism in the 1/48. Anime accurate 1/60 v2 seems to be cartoony but hence why it is anime accurate. I pick up the 1/60s for the 2-seaters.

I think the only thing that the 1/48 has over the 1/60 is the apparent in size! That is really it!!

I love the following in the 1/60 v2:

1. Material construction

2. Orange tinted canopy

3. Adjustable fender

4. The die-cast at the intake ledge

5. Solidity/ sturdiness

6. The degree of anime accuracy (especially battroid mode)

7. The arm turns a near 180 degree

8. Tampo paint

Hey hey, the 1/48 line is not done, it will continue to be milked! Kakizaki's TV variant is probably only a couple months from release and then who knows? Isn't there also a weathered Hikaru 1J that's supposed to come out at some point?

Hey hey, the 1/48 line is not done, it will continue to be milked! Kakizaki's TV variant is probably only a couple months from release and then who knows? Isn't there also a weathered Hikaru 1J that's supposed to come out at some point?

I think the weathered 1J was a 1/60, as for the Kakizaki I thought that was already out.

Kakizaki's 1/48 TV version due in September IIRC.

But Dante144, yes, its more or less done. reason? not too sure, but Graham had said that they were favoring a complete 1/60 line across all series, so probably thats the main reason. besides, they have expressd repeatedly that they will not be making VF-1 2 seaters in 1/48.

Of course, there might be 1 off exclusives from the 1/48 lines, but don't bet on it.

# 7 is pretty damn confusing too.

I just wish Yamato would finally make the pilots to scale so it can sit inside the head like it's supposed to... :lol:

LOL! if i wasn't too lazy or too scared to transform my YF-19 to battroid, i'd take a pic of it's head w/ the internal mechanism removed and... :p

I don't understand why people are still into the 1/48 and hoping for a V2 1/48. That line is pretty done! I mean if they wanted a two-seater done on the 1/48, they would have done so from the get-go. I think its safe to conclude that with the new v2 1/60 in line with the rest of the other 1/60 are the dominate scale.

The fender I was talking about is from the lower leg people!