Yamato VF1s, which one is most accurate?

dante144

I was wondering which of the Yamato VF1s were most accurate to the anime, specifically in fighter mode?

I was wondering in regards to scale, 1/48 or 1/60? 1/60 version 1 or version 2?

How about in batteroid mode?

thanks! This is my first post BTW!

I was wondering which of the Yamato VF1s were most accurate to the anime, specifically in fighter mode?

I was wondering in regards to scale, 1/48 or 1/60? 1/60 version 1 or version 2?

How about in batteroid mode?

thanks! This is my first post BTW!

Welcome to the Macross world forum. Hope you enjoy your stay here. I know I did.

IMO, the newer 1/60 versions are more accurate. All the 1/60 scales use the same mold (for the same valk that is). So all 1/60 scales are the same in terms of accuracy.

In terms of QC quality, the newer versions have better QC. So far, this is true. Still, if you don't want to risk hard earned cash, wait for reviews 1st from forumers here.

Uh... I believe Blacklotus has forgotten about the Version 1 of the 1/60 which obviously used quite a different mold, included diecast, and used partsforming.

The truth is that all the VF-1 toys take some liberties. The 1/48 has its head in the right spot so if battroid is a big deal for you that's something to consider (but it also has slightly thin arms, a chest that's a bit large, and a nosecone that comes down too low).

Uh... I believe Blacklotus has forgotten about the Version 1 of the 1/60 which obviously used quite a different mold, included diecast, and used partsforming.

The truth is that all the VF-1 toys take some liberties. The 1/48 has its head in the right spot so if battroid is a big deal for you that's something to consider (but it also has slightly thin arms, a chest that's a bit large, and a nosecone that comes down too low).

I didn't forget. It's just that in this discussion about anime accurate valks, those parts-transforming ones shouldn't even be considered at all. So, I didn't mention those. B))

My remarks are based only on the Perfect Transformation versions. I guess I should have clarified this earlier. Sorry about that. ^_^

Edited by blacklotus

I didn't forget. It's just that in this discussion about anime accurate valks, those parts-transforming ones shouldn't even be considered at all.

actually, if you want to get technical the parts forming of the old v.1's is actually closer to how Sk designed the transformation mechanism than the single swing bar of the 1/48's and 1/60 v.2's.

(the v.1 lacked the hydrolic plates the the principle of the intakes being attached to the back of the chest plate then detaching and plugging into the nose cone is fairly similar)

vf-1-transformation5.gif

anyways, no VF-1 toy is perfect, but the v2 is closer in every mode than any other so far. the v.2's fighter is about as close as you're ever going to get with the exception of the pilot sitting (IMO) too far farward in the cockpit.

In battroid the 1/48 is a little stronger, the head placement is correct which is a big plus and I've never found the chest overly wide and the arm's don't look any skinnier to me. but the 1/48's nose hangs down to it's knees which llooks awkward to say the least, and I think the legs are too boxy on the 1/48.

oddly enough, I've never heard anyone else bring this up, but the first thing I noticed after seeing the v.2 battroid mode for the first time was that the lower legs and feet looked truer to the line art than any other VF-1 toy I'd seen before

Edited by anime52k8

What does this mean?

"Perfect Transformation versions."

So which version has the best fighter version according to the line art?

Thanks for all the responses.

Also, when were the 1/60 version 1 discontinued? and when was the version 2 started?

What does this mean?

"Perfect Transformation versions."

So which version has the best fighter version according to the line art?

Thanks for all the responses.

"Perfect Transformation" means you can transform between all 3 modes of the Valk (fighter, gerwalk, battroid) WITHOUT removing and changing parts.

The very old 1/60 version (we'll call this 1/60 version ZERO) needs to change parts between modes.

As anime52k8 has mentioned, and, imo, I agree, the latest and newest Yamato's 1/60 scale Perfect Transform VF1s have the most accurate fighter modes.

Also, when were the 1/60 version 1 discontinued? and when was the version 2 started?

v2 started July 19, 2008.

And about which one looks the most accurate to the lineart; why don't you look at the gallery posts and decide yourself?

The only thing I am sure is: everyone has his own standard and points of particular interests, thus a different answer.

v2 started July 19, 2008.

And about which one looks the most accurate to the lineart; why don't you look at the gallery posts and decide yourself?

The only thing I am sure is: everyone has his own standard and points of particular interests, thus a different answer.

I have looked through the gallery, mostly at the 1/48s, which I was favoring...

It is hard to tell though, with out actually holding one. There is a 1/60 strike V `near me that I was thinking about getting soon. That is one of the reasons I am asking.

What are the years for the 1/60s?

I have looked through the gallery, mostly at the 1/48s, which I was favoring...

It is hard to tell though, with out actually holding one. There is a 1/60 strike V `near me that I was thinking about getting soon. That is one of the reasons I am asking.

What are the years for the 1/60s?

From what I've heard (and personally agree), the 1/48 fighter mode looks better for its longer nose cone and overall scale.

But frankly, while I love the 1/48 probably more, it may be better to get the 1/60 v2 for general audience.

The 1/48 line of VF-1s, for all intents and purposes is now EOL. There are not likely to be anymore of them released, other than the Kakizaki version which is going to be shipped in Sep.

The 1/60 V2 VF-1 is a new line which has only started just last July. there are a lot more colors coming (canon and non-canon i guess), and have quite a bit more variety than the 1/48s.

Both to me looks great and are more or less anime accurate and has both their advantages and flaws as well. Whatever you do, unless you are very sure of what you are getting, I wouldn't advise a V1, unless it is going for really dirt cheap.

The biggest draw of the 1/48 is the size, and its fighter mode. Of course, now that it is EOL and more or less replaced by the new 1/60 V2 line, prices have started to come down somewhat, it is pretty much value for money, just look ard to check out the prices.

The 1/60 v2 has quite a bit of variety and feature the 2 seaters that the 1/48s never had, thus a more complete line if you ask me and more to come!

Anyway, it all boils down to whether you just want one for display, in which case I'll recommend a 1/48. If you a completist, then you probably be more happy with the 1/60 v2.

But trust me. you won't stop with just one.

Edited by BlueMax

The 1/48 does have a good fightermode, with the long nosecone and features such as flaps and airbrakes. But the arms and gunpod does sit alittle too low and some of the missiles are too loose when attached atleast on mine.

The 1/60 has a shorter nosecone and no other features then the opening canopy and landing gear but the arms and gunpod sit higher up and the tri-cluster missiles are painted as opposed to just plain white and they attach better.

The 1/48 Battroid mode has better looking shoulders and the head is attached in a better position but the chest and nosecone are too long. And the chicken hands are fugly. Though it does have a strap for the gunpod which is accurate.

The 1/60 has a much better looking chest and hands but the shoulders are much smaller and look alittle strange and it doesn't come with the gunpod strap either.

No one is perfect, both have positives and negatives.

If you own other 1/60 Yamato VF's i say go for the new 1/60's. They are also redesigned to support 2-seat version like the VF-1D and VT-1, something the 1/48 never was.

Edited by thankheaven

In battroid the 1/48 is a little stronger, the head placement is correct which is a big plus and I've never found the chest overly wide and the arm's don't look any skinnier to me. but the 1/48's nose hangs down to it's knees which llooks awkward to say the least, and I think the legs are too boxy on the 1/48.

Funny point, check out the image you attached and where the nose is in relation to the knees :)

there's a huge difference between anime accurate and lineart accurate. Because the anime is all over the place.

I'd say it's a tie between the 1/48 and the v.2 1/60. The v.2 got it right where the 1/48 couldnt but head placement, the leg sculpt and the shape of the cockpit is pretty good on the 1/48.

I'd go for the 1/60 for overall because of the thrusters and the upcoming GBP will probably be more lineart accurate with it.

As for battroid by itself... probably the GNU, but who cares about those, it's all about transformations.

And I do agree. I could have settle for a better removable leg transformation with the 1/48. It probably would have allowed for the arms to go up more in fighter mode. As long as it's not the same engineering as the original 1/60s... YUCK!

Dude, go to Yamato website to find out what are best improved features they have on the new V2 1/60. There are lots of pictures in there:

http://www.yamato-toys.com/dev/cont_049/index.html

Go here to find out what is the difference between 1/48 and 1/60 V2:

http://www.yamato-toys.com/dev/cont_041/index.html

With no doubt, V2 1/60 is the best VF-1 toy out thre in term of price, size, and accuracy. It's basically value for its money.

Please visit the link for a comprehensive list of releases from the last 10 years

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=29393

The Version 2s (starting from Roy Focker, please see the list in above link for the subsequent releases) were only out July last year. You can check out HLJ for some of the box arts. but basically, all the V2s have a cover flap at the front of the box which the version 1s did not have, so its very easy to differentiate versions 1 and 2s.

Edited by BlueMax

Please visit the link for a comprehensive list of releases from the last 10 years

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=29393

The Version 2s (starting from Roy Focker, please see the list in above link for the subsequent releases) were only out July last year. You can check out HLJ for some of the box arts. but basically, all the V2s have a cover flap at the front of the box which the version 1s did not have, so its very easy to differentiate versions 1 and 2s.

Thanks, Bluemax and everybody else.

I think I am going to buy an old version Strike Valkyrie 1/60 version for about $75

Think it is worth it?

Thanks, Bluemax and everybody else.

I think I am going to buy an old version Strike Valkyrie 1/60 version for about $75

Think it is worth it?

its worth is all up to you... depends on how much you appreciate it being a part of your collection. different people have different tastes after all.

however, some food for thought... the cheapest ver.2 VF-1 w/ SSP i found on sale was a VF-1A Hikaru w/ SSP for only 80-85 USD (of course it has the shoulder issue). and the cheapest ver.1 w/ SSP i last saw a couple of months ago was selling for 50-60 USD.

it's still your call in the end... as long as you're happy and contented w/ your purchase, that's all that matters. ^_^

As nice as the new version 2 1/60 VF1s are, I still prefer the 1/48 VF1s. The hollow and spacious sides of the Battroid mode on the V.2 1/60 just kills it for me; no where in the official linearts tell me that the VF1s come with such thick depth predesigned. The 1/48s' sides are hollow but less spacious and the old VF1s has the best side profile of all albeit lacking in perfect transformation. So the 1/48s is the most accurate to me despite other misgivings like the scrawny hands.

Edited by mr.chogokin

Honestly, I think with an anime derived perfect transforming toy, there is always discrepency to be made. So, when we talk about a valkyrie with three differnt transforming modes, one or two modes will for sure be less anime correct than the other.

With the 1/48 line, I believe Yamato tried to make the fighter mode more appealing, hence the long streamline appearance, where as this will result in the suffering of the valk in battroid mode, overall too skinny and a too long nosecone.

Forget about the first version 1/60 line, the new version two is perhaps, to date the best of all perfect transforming VF-1 toy out there. Its build quality is far superior than its older and bigger sibling and the balance of all three modes have been achieved nicely. Of course there will always be critics but do not forget what started out merely as a 2D drawings and lots of anime magic 25 years ago, can now be nicely placed within our palms!

Yamato has given us what many would have thought to be impossible and the company actually did a pretty good job with all their valks!

sorry to all who are thinking of selling their Version 1s, but my advise is that for $75 with the 1/48s and the new 1/60s? It is simply too expensive.

Pay abit more and I'm sure you can get a 1/48. In fact just a few days ago, you could get a brand new 1/60 V2 for only about $66USD (no including shipping of course)!

So, if you really want a good deal, my recommendation is to wait for a sale from HLJ or anywhere else, or just a grab a 1/48 at reduced price (Angel Birds @ 5920yen HLJ, is a steal no matter how you look at it).

Whatever it is, don't waste your time effort and money to start your collection with a V1. 0But of course, that is just me. You might think differently.

With all improvements here and there, the 1/60 v2 still can't best the 1/48 to me.

IMHO, the 1/48 has the optimized size as a big toy - it looks big and cool, and further bigger would render it unwieldy.

I don't have any complaints except for the chicken hands.

sorry to all who are thinking of selling their Version 1s, but my advise is that for $75 with the 1/48s and the new 1/60s? It is simply too expensive.

Pay abit more and I'm sure you can get a 1/48. In fact just a few days ago, you could get a brand new 1/60 V2 for only about $66USD (no including shipping of course)!

So, if you really want a good deal, my recommendation is to wait for a sale from HLJ or anywhere else, or just a grab a 1/48 at reduced price (Angel Birds @ 5920yen HLJ, is a steal no matter how you look at it).

Whatever it is, don't waste your time effort and money to start your collection with a V1. 0But of course, that is just me. You might think differently.

Wow. This helps a lot. Do you work for HLJ? j/k... Shipping is free did you say?

I think I am going to order the 1/48 angel bird... as well as get the version 1... if I can talk them down... I think $50 would be fair all considering.. That is my price point anyways..

Edited by dante144

Wow. This helps a lot. Do you work for HLJ? j/k... Shipping is free did you say?

I think I am going to order the 1/48 angel bird... as well as get the version 1... if I can talk them down... I think $50 would be fair all considering.. That is my price point anyways..

Glad to be of assistance, but sorry man, shipping is not free unfortunately. the cost I've mentioned does not include shipping since it varies by region as well as type of shipping.

Glad to be of assistance, but sorry man, shipping is not free unfortunately. the cost I've mentioned does not include shipping since it varies by region as well as type of shipping.

Yeah, I checked it out.. About a $100 or so. not bad.

After I I get tired of that paint scheme(unless I fall in love with it) I may try my hand at a custom paint job...

It's too late, the 1/48 angel bird is gone.