Macross Ultimate Frontier for the Sony PSP.

UN Spacy

Has anyone managed to get this game running on a PC emulator yet? I would like to give it a try before I throw some money down for it, as I will probably do anyways considering it seems like a good game.

I've got Ace Frontier (which I own already) working fine on the Jpcsp emulator (minus the sound for some reason), but I can't get Ultimate Frontier working, probably because it is encrypted unlike Ace Frontier is.

Edited by zeroyon

my copy on the way.. both UF and AF. Haven't played any of them yet..

Do yourself a favor, and skip Ace for now. It's a fun game, but it's still got a lot of the Gundam Battle game engine in it. Ultimate is a far better "Macross" experience.

Is this game region locked? I have a PSP-3000 and was wondering if I would be able to play it with no mods. Also, I saw a vid where someone had all the gauges and displays SUBBED in English. Is this an option in game or do you have to download something for it?

The majority of the menu's & hud displays are in english. What little isn't is very easy to figure out. All PSP games are compatable on all region PSP's, only the movie UMD's are region locked, so you are absolutely safe to import games.

Is this game region locked? I have a PSP-3000 and was wondering if I would be able to play it with no mods. Also, I saw a vid where someone had all the gauges and displays SUBBED in English. Is this an option in game or do you have to download something for it?

The game itself isn't. (As I understand it, no PSP games are).

The bonus video UMD that comes with the limited edition is however locked to region 2.

The main gameplay display gauges are mostly in English in the first place, except for pilot names on the HUD.

The mission/unit selection/skills/mission objective/shop screens are completely in Japanese however.

The majority of the menu's & hud displays are in english. What little isn't is very easy to figure out. All PSP games are compatable on all region PSP's, only the movie UMD's are region locked, so you are absolutely safe to import games.

Hell yeah, thanks man! Definitely will pick this up eventually. Maybe the various Sengoku Basara games too.

Yeah now that I have played MUF, gundam is to young for me. I would play Gundam if I was desperate to find something to play. The new Armored Core is out I believe and that shoudl be kick azz fantastical but more Asian title robot games would be great.

Play Asia is a good site.

MUF is awesome. I'm now at 186 hours play. Probably going to take a break for a while now though.

Anybody recommend any other good real robot games for the PSP?

No Gundam, though please.

Graham

Silent Line: Armored Core Portable is out tomorrow, and Armored Core 3 Portable has been out for some time. No information on the release date of Last Raven Port, though. You'll be able to transfer AC3 data to SL, and AC3/SL data to LR. All three games are only available in the US through the PlayStation Store, although for the bargain price of $15.

Get over your hatred for Gundam and try Gundam VS Gundam Next Plus. That thing is a masterpiece for PSP. Fun and challenging even if you're not into Gundam. I play that alternatively with MUF. But if you really allergic with Gundam, can't help you though :lol:

Edited by reeoyuy

For a while I had most of the console Macross games running on my PSP: Scramble Valkyrie, NES Macross, PS1 DYRL, MacPlus, VFX2, GB Mac7, etc. That's what I used as alternatives to Ultimate/Ace: more Macross!

I also bought Metal Gear Solid Portable OPS and downloaded the new Peace Walker demo (I know they're not robot games, though). I've hardly played those at all, though, as the missions run too long. Mission length in MAF/MUF was just right for gaming on the move.

Are the Armored Core games any good?

Well, you'll like them if you liked their respective games back on the PS2, although the controls are a bit disorienting(Triangle and Square[or is it circle?] look up and down to account for the lack of extra shoulder buttons, Circle[or is it square?] fires your selected weapon, shoulder buttons strafe, X boosts, Up is core function, and down is left arm weapon)

For a while I had most of the console Macross games running on my PSP: Scramble Valkyrie, NES Macross, PS1 DYRL, MacPlus, VFX2, GB Mac7, etc. That's what I used as alternatives to Ultimate/Ace: more Macross!

I should really look at how to get those on my PSP as well.

Well, maybe not the GB Mac7 game, I think I can live without that one.

Graham

Well, you'll like them if you liked their respective games back on the PS2, although the controls are a bit disorienting(Triangle and Square[or is it circle?] look up and down to account for the lack of extra shoulder buttons, Circle[or is it square?] fires your selected weapon, shoulder buttons strafe, X boosts, Up is core function, and down is left arm weapon)

I've never played any (except for "For Answer", I think, on a PS3 stand for five minutes while waiting for a plane at Charles de Gaulle airport). Is there a lot of strategy involved, or more action stuff (like MUF)?

Edited by Renato

I should really look at how to get those on my PSP as well.

Well, maybe not the GB Mac7 game, I think I can live without that one.

Graham

I got my avatar off the GB game! :lol:

I warn you though, after MAF/MUF, VFX2 is going to seem dead slow, on any machine. And heaven forbid I ever play VFX1 again, what a load of balls.

Once you get PS1 games running on the PSP, I recommend Omega Boost, for more Kawamori robot action. It plays a lot like the battroid levels of Macross Plus Game Edition where you hold a button to track your target and the pointer shifts towards its direction.

Also, there's a great (but tough) transforming motorbike game, I can't remember the name. I'm sure some guys here know it. I don't actually own that one, though, it's super rare.

I've never played any (except for "For Answer", I think, on a PS3 stand for five minutes while waiting for a plane at Charles de Gaulle airport). Is there a lot of strategy involved, or more action stuff (like MUF)?

Let's just say that you're speed isn't going to be anywhere around 1600 kilometers per hour, more like around 200-300, and higher in a overboosting lightweight.

This is a good example of what playing Silent Line'll be like, albeit with more difficult controls on the PSP, and the fact that the video is one pf the last missions of the game, so it's obviously harder than some other missions.

Let's just say that you're speed isn't going to be anywhere around 1600 kilometers per hour, more like around 200-300, and higher in a overboosting lightweight.

This is a good example of what playing Silent Line'll be like, albeit with more difficult controls on the PSP, and the fact that the video is one pf the last missions of the game, so it's obviously harder than some other missions.

There are many different variations of building the mechs plus color choice and different types of overboosting and weights. You were showing just one mech in one scenerio. The mech had good balance and missles and rocket launcher but there is also chain guns which is one my favorites as well as hovering auto firing lasers and many other varieties.

I like Armored Core titles because they are kind of realistic in what mechs can do and you build them from the ground up. You dont just step into them and fly off like some titles we know and love. Instead you have to take it to the garage and build it piece by piece and decide if it works well for you in battle or not. It has a lot of things that MUF has, but they are far far far different titles and both are great but really different from each other, that is the great thing about both of them.

Gundam seems like a street fighter title it is more like fighting with whips and swords and knives in a mech and shields. I could be wrong but just does not seem to be that technical.

Was able to find MAF it on eBay for $26.00 shipping inlcuded, man what a great game, one more reason on my list to hate Carl Maycek................

GRAHAM, please let me know...... I've been out of touch of Macross related things for at least 7 years, what is the latest version of Robotech-Macross Saga that I can find out there?

Just got news that AD Vision when under a couple of years ago and I'm looking for at least that saga for my Kid to watch it, How I wish someone released in Blu-Ray

Edited by ObiJuan71

Gundam seems like a street fighter title it is more like fighting with whips and swords and knives in a mech and shields. I could be wrong but just does not seem to be that technical.

You're basically right. The Gundam VS series in essence are 2-on-2 fighting games viewed from 3rd person perspective. The most recent Gundam VS Gundam line made it crazier by adding mobile assist (kinda like Striker system in King of Fighters), mid-air equipment change, and many mecha-magic thingy. Realistic/technical, maybe not. Fun, yes. However, there are many gundam game variations out there...including serious mech-simulation genre like Lost War Chronicles or Rise from the Ashes. If you're looking for technical games, try them (they aren't for PSP though). And don't forget Gundam Battle series which provide the engine for MAF/MUF. Melee in that game sucks, so I guess it's not the game you described ^_^ .

We need more Macross games. If only Macross is as prolific as gundam, in number and genre....although I can't imagine Macross turn-based strategy game or Macross 2D fighting game :rolleyes:

You're basically right. The Gundam VS series in essence are 2-on-2 fighting games viewed from 3rd person perspective. The most recent Gundam VS Gundam line made it crazier by adding mobile assist (kinda like Striker system in King of Fighters), mid-air equipment change, and many mecha-magic thingy. Realistic/technical, maybe not. Fun, yes. However, there are many gundam game variations out there...including serious mech-simulation genre like Lost War Chronicles or Rise from the Ashes. If you're looking for technical games, try them (they aren't for PSP though). And don't forget Gundam Battle series which provide the engine for MAF/MUF. Melee in that game sucks, so I guess it's not the game you described ^_^ .

We need more Macross games. If only Macross is as prolific as gundam, in number and genre....although I can't imagine Macross turn-based strategy game or Macross 2D fighting game :rolleyes:

Macross Ultimate Frontier is awesome there is no other way of putting it.

I litterly bow down to this game, there are so many elements to it. I am a hyper person so if my attention span has stayed this long with the game it has to be incredible. I have never seen the dynamics of this game in many others. And I have played thousands of games.

The only reason its not uber popular and talked about in every store in the world is because it is not sold in the states as a title.

The graphics are incredible .... The replay of the game has so many dynamics ... The intricacy of the game is incredible... who ever put this game together really took their time and cared alot about real Macross game play from the robetech and Macrosss cartoons.

Think about all the variations and the mission... there is the limit of the box dynamics when flying "in others basically your flying in a big box"... but the space is enough not to care about.

There needs to many more Macross and Robotech editions using this engine style, its the next step in game play.

The best would be a online multiplayer with new mission add ons and new cartoons and movies with it and and and ........ lol

Edited by light

...although I can't imagine Macross turn-based strategy game or Macross 2D fighting game :rolleyes:

There's loads of turn-base strategy Macross games out there (not for PSP though). I have Eternal Love Story. There's a thread on it in this forum. To be honest, I prefer action games, though.

I'd like a PS3 version of what MUF is, only with a good story based campaign and of course, online play.

If it allowed for a good squadron setup and a good community for the players to have fun on, it'd be a complete blast.

Of course, it it went onto the simulator realm, I wouldn't complain if it is done well.

Now that I think about it, a Macross game similar to Homeworld would be absolutely badass. Just remember to add the music AND the fast paced action.

By the way. Sorry to bother, but does someone still have those big scans of the Limited Edition? I finally have the tools to make a wallpaper and want to try my hands and my already rusty photoshop experience... Too bad my free time is still limited...

Edited by CrazyMartian

Hello all,

Sorry if this has been asked before but.....if I can't read japanese at all will it be a big detriment to me playing this game? I really want to get it but am worried that it will be all trial and error.

You may have to look up the skills details and shop inventory, but the main gameplay itself should be fine. The tutorial missions are pretty thorough and intuitive. Also, the several unique mission objectives should be quite obvious, especially if you have watched the shows they are based on.

Edited by hulagu

I'd like a PS3 version of what MUF is, only with a good story based campaign and of course, online play.

I definitely want that. But I'd also want more focused games. I'd really like a multi-player version set in SWI, starting on South Ataria Island and flying around realistic terrain, landing on the Prometheus, etc. PSN coop/versus, etc would be a must.

I don't have a PSP and ALMOST want to get one for Ultimate Frontier...