Macross Ultimate Frontier for the Sony PSP.

UN Spacy

Little bit of a site update. Now the official page lists the VF-2SS & Gilgamesh in their own Macross II tab. I find it hard to believe they'd add a whole tab for 2 guest mecha, so it looks a bit more like we may be a full Macross II campaign. That, and the system tab shows a mystery support character alongside Sivil, Sheryl, Ranka, Minmay, Sara, & Myung. Very likely to be Ishtar at this point.

Little bit of a site update. Now the official page lists the VF-2SS & Gilgamesh in their own Macross II tab. I find it hard to believe they'd add a whole tab for 2 guest mecha, so it looks a bit more like we may be a full Macross II campaign. That, and the system tab shows a mystery support character alongside Sivil, Sheryl, Ranka, Minmay, Sara, & Myung. Very likely to be Ishtar at this point.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAND..................

WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!

HAHAHA! I wanted to do that...

Anyways, I hope they include the Macross II campaign. But I think most of it would be like "OH SHI--!! We're getting our asses handed to us! LET'S SAY WE ARE WINNING!!"

Here I'm hoping they add more songs for all the series...

Now that I think about it...

Something just started bothering me... The Support Character system... Okay, so Sheryl, Ranka, Minmay, Sara and Myung are all recognizable singers... What about Elma? She wasn't well... THAT good a singer (at least in my opinion)... But... Syvil? All she ever uttered was "Basara", "Anima Spiritia" and something along the lines of "ARGH". I'm not so sure I'd enjoy having her as my co-pilot. I mean, what use were they? Syvil was the weird freak, while Elma was the cute and somewhat useless little girl.

Not trying to step on any tails here, honest, I'm just wondering what their use would be...

The one I'd like for co-pilot would be Sharon Apple... Her auto skill could be screwing with your vision and pester you to go faster and higher, while her command skill could be distors the enemies' attacks, causing them to kill each other. Think about it, easy win, at the expense of not seeing anything. How's that for game breaking? Haha.

Oh... Another character they should add would be Emilia Jenius... Now THAT would be fun... And the only Macross 7 character I'd ever play gladly... Aside from Miria or Max...

I only wish you could have the series specific operators, though. The three original operators are ok, but Pinon... No thanks... I'm definitely not into loli...

Edited by CrazyMartian

To be fair, we don't know that we won't get original series operators, Misa was a surprise in the last game. Curiosity though, why go with the "Emilia" spelling, if you're going to call her mother "Miria.' When in fact we all know that it's "MILIA THE PRESIDENT!"

To be fair, we don't know that we won't get original series operators, Misa was a surprise in the last game. Curiosity though, why go with the "Emilia" spelling, if you're going to call her mother "Miria.' When in fact we all know that it's "MILIA THE PRESIDENT!"

Hmmm... Now that you mention it... It IS kind of odd... Might be because I go with hearing for names. I hear it, and I assimilate it. Emilia is a name I have encountered before in two or three females, including a childhood friend, while Miria is the way, well, EVERYONE pronounces it... In the anime at least. Blame the Japanese and their usual lack of L's... Plus, since my native pronunciation is compatible with the Japanese one (Native Spanish speaker here), An R is easier to pronounce than an L for THAT name... Or it may just be that I'm too used to it to care about changing...

And before the idea crosses your mind that I just like switching L's for R's like some really creepy anime fans... Nah... Not in my personal case... =P

Oh, I was forgetting. In Mylene's case, I read her name first, and then it stuck... Macross 7 is actually the LAST Macross series I have watched... And honestly... the last in ranking for me. While 7 DOES contribute with interesting things, I end up falling in the Basara hate group. Fukuyama's songs, however, are awesome... Except for Planet Dance... They repeated it so many times that just remembering makes my head split... Angel Voice is the opposite case, haha.

Edited by CrazyMartian

I was taking another look at the site, and while going to System, and then the series covered by this game, at the blue icon to the right of the Macross II name, clicking on it, it says that the Valkyrie II and the Gilgamesh ARE guest machines. I guess that pretty much means we can kiss any hopes for a Macross II campaign goodbye. At least I hope they add Silvie and Ishtar...

They are adding the opening song as an instrumental, though... (2 oku nen mae no you ni shizuka da ne)

Can someone confirm or correct me please?

I was taking another look at the site, and while going to System, and then the series covered by this game, at the blue icon to the right of the Macross II name, clicking on it, it says that the Valkyrie II and the Gilgamesh ARE guest machines. I guess that pretty much means we can kiss any hopes for a Macross II campaign goodbye. At least I hope they add Silvie and Ishtar...

They are adding the opening song as an instrumental, though... (2 oku nen mae no you ni shizuka da ne)

Can someone confirm or correct me please?

Sounds about right, they've gotta save something for the innevitable 3rd game, and the Frontier movies themselves wouldn't provide enough fodder. AT this point, I'd consider the VF-4, and Fast Pack Klan Klan immense triumphs. Especially since the VF-4 has yet to appear in a decent game.

Sounds about right, they've gotta save something for the innevitable 3rd game, and the Frontier movies themselves wouldn't provide enough fodder. AT this point, I'd consider the VF-4, and Fast Pack Klan Klan immense triumphs. Especially since the VF-4 has yet to appear in a decent game.

Oh! Klan Klan with the fast pack! She was SO BADASS with that. I hope they include her like that one day. I don't think this time, though...

Here's my wishlist for the third game that considering the potential sales of this one is sure to come:

Klan Klan with fast pack

VF-4

Full Macross II campaign

Emilia Jenius in her Queadluun Quilqua

VF-9 Cutlass

VF-14 Vampire

VF-3000 Crusader

Variable Glaug

Suzie Newtlett

Full Macross VF-X2 campaign (I still think the Banrose unit is going to be a guest machine)

Maria-Fokina Banrose

And most of all, an original campaign. Doesn't matter if there are no new mechs specific to that one, a new campaign with new characters would be awesome.

Yeah, I know, Ultimate Frontier is not even out, but it'd be completely cool if they added this for the next game.

Still, once MUF comes out, I'm REALLY gonna play the hell out of the VF-2SS and the VF-25 (all of them) with the Super Packs and the Armored Packs.

I actually have a feeling we'll get much of that this time, the VF-9, VF-11, VF-14 etc should all be in the M3 campaign (otherwise why even mention it), variable Glaug is also highly likely. I also can't imagine there wouldn't have been a huge fan outcry for FPKK (Fast Pack Klan Klan) after ther first game, it just makes so much sense! And since they already mentioned Flash Back 2012, there'd be no sense in "not" including the VF-4.

Remember, they never show everything on the official site, even with the Gundam games. A lot of it still winds up being surprise as you unlock things. Other things yet still have to be unlocked as the passwords get released a month or so after the game comes out. So not everything you see at the start will be the whole of the game. Not to mention some stuff you'll have to wait until you get the stat limiter release, so you can SS the harder missions. I don't doubt this game will have some sweet surprises

Edited by Keith

I actually have a feeling we'll get much of that this time, the VF-9, VF-11, VF-14 etc should all be in the M3 campaign (otherwise why even mention it), variable Glaug is also highly likely. I also can't imagine there wouldn't have been a huge fan outcry for FPKK (Fast Pack Klan Klan) after ther first game, it just makes so much sense! And since they already mentioned Flash Back 2012, there'd be no sense in "not" including the VF-4.

Regarding an M3 campaign, I highly doubt they will make it as a campaign. Most likely, it will be as guest machines, same with the Banrose unit.

Why? Well, I dunno how keen they are about making a fully fledged campaign out of an old game. Same with VF-X2. It'd be awesome if they did, though.

I have M3, and I've had my great share of fun with it, but let's face it... The game is NOT good. I've enjoyed it because I'm, well... a Macross fan... Still, the game is there. The possibilities for seeing a campaign out of it are slim at best, I think.

Regarding Miss Hot Meltran on a Fast Pack, I dunno, it'd make sense if they included her, but honestly, I'm not holding my breath. That was my second biggest wish for the Macross Frontier campaign, the fast packs and armored packs being number one and confirmed already.

Let's hope that if there was a fan outcry for Klan, it was big as you imagine and they listened...

As a note, I'd quickly change the VF-2SS for Klan on a Fast Pack.

Hence, I declare myself an... "Irrational Klan Klan Fan"

Speaking of her, anyone knows of good wallpapers with Klan? I haven't found many, and the ones I did, weren't that good... meh...

Oh, and... I know about the stat limiter stuff. I've heard some people got cool stuff once they unlocked it.

Please don't kill me for asking this, but... How do I remove the limiter? I've played 124 hours, and still haven't unlocked it... Attaining SS on ALL the missions? Owning on the free missions, on which, by the way, I always die on them?

Edited by CrazyMartian

Regular S rank on all missions (except for ex), I honestly don't recall if you have to get the free play missions too, but I don't think you do. A quick way to check what you need though, go itno your records, second tab down I believe, it'll show your ranks for all missions. and let you know which ones you still need S's on. Once you unlock it, you have to 1: max out the regular stats on any given fighter, and or use any given figthter up to 10 times once their base stats are maxed. After that, you'll get a prize message letting you know that the limiter has been released for that particular fighter.

Hey, I just noticed on the official site http://b.bngi-channel.jp/psp_macross/ there's a new gold button at the bottom middle that says something about the Frontier movie & PSP game, can anyone translate that? It mensions 11/21.

Edited by Keith

Hey, I just noticed on the official site http://b.bngi-channel.jp/psp_macross/ there's a new gold button at the bottom middle that says something about the Frontier movie & PSP game, can anyone translate that? It mensions 11/21.

Yeah, it's something that I think was mentioned in the second Famitsu article a couple of weeks ago. Apparently they will be releasing a special version of the game to commemorate the release of the movie. They haven't actually said anything about what makes it special yet, though it's just a case of "watch this space!"

One thing I'm starting to dread is that they will no doubt tell you to upgrade to Firmware 5.55 to play the game, and I really don't want to do that... Not that I'm anywhere near finished with Ace Frontier to go on to the next game yet. :p

One thing I'm starting to dread is that they will no doubt tell you to upgrade to Firmware 5.55 to play the game, and I really don't want to do that... Not that I'm anywhere near finished with Ace Frontier to go on to the next game yet. :p

How does one go about upgrading firmware on a PSP? Do you have to take it into a Sony Pro Shop and they do it for you?

Graham

How does one go about upgrading firmware on a PSP? Do you have to take it into a Sony Pro Shop and they do it for you?

Graham

Nope, connect to the internet via the Wi-Fi and there's an option called "update".

Other option is to download the firmware here: http://asia.playstation.com/hk/en/support/osUpdate/psp

edit: here's a better explanation on how to do it : http://asia.playstation.com/hk/en/support/p/updateMethod_PSP

Edited by GGemini

Graham

It's not an ordeal to update the firmware, in fact it's quite easy. Hell, a lot of games come with the necessary firmware update they need to play them (usually right on the xmb under the load game option). The problem comes in when people have hacked firmware, that they use to do various awesome things, like play emulated games & such. These people can't run the official firmware, and have to wait for a new revision of the hacked firmware to be released.

Yeah, the Macross Ace Frontier disc last year came with a Firmware upgrade tool (so you didn't need to connect online) which you had to use if you wanted to play the game. I'm certain this new game is going to be the same deal. But since I've been playing the second (after MAF) most fantastic Macross game experience ever for the first time in years and years here, I don't really want to give it all up yet. Here's hoping we get the best of both worlds by the time of release. :unsure:

Yeah, the Macross Ace Frontier disc last year came with a Firmware upgrade tool (so you didn't need to connect online) which you had to use if you wanted to play the game. I'm certain this new game is going to be the same deal. But since I've been playing the second (after MAF) most fantastic Macross game experience ever for the first time in years and years here, I don't really want to give it all up yet. Here's hoping we get the best of both worlds by the time of release. :unsure:

Yes, dead links truly are the ultimate Macross experience...? I'm assuming its either the PS1 DYRL game or VFX-2. :)

But don't fret, while I've never hacked my PSP, its my understanding that they're pretty good about keeping their firmware up to date with the official. By the time Ultimate Frontier comes out, unless it ships with the absolute newest of the time (which is doubtful) you should be safe.

Yes, dead links truly are the ultimate Macross experience...? I'm assuming its either the PS1 DYRL game or VFX-2. :)

Argh. It was supposed to link to my post the other day on this page:

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?...20&start=20

Never mind.

But don't fret, while I've never hacked my PSP, its my understanding that they're pretty good about keeping their firmware up to date with the official. By the time Ultimate Frontier comes out, unless it ships with the absolute newest of the time (which is doubtful) you should be safe.

It's a bit more complicated than that. There are so many types of PSP motherboards out there now, there are some which are "unhackable". It seems someone found a flaw in Firmware 5.03 or something and used that to run something called an "exploit" on the RAM which allows for Custom Firmware to run, but it looks like Sony wasted no time in sawing up that little tear with the newer 5.50 Firmware. And now 5.55 is coming out.

I know, the hackers do eventually find some way around these things, but I got my PSP way back in October last year, I think, and it took a long time for them to find this little flaw. Sony's protection is getting better and better.

But that's kind of cool, I guess, kind of like added pressure. It just sucks that I'm again only going to manage to begin playing the game when all you guys have already completed it over and over and maxed out all the stats, just like last year. :lol:

Argh. It was supposed to link to my post the other day on this page:

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?...20&start=20

Never mind.

It's a bit more complicated than that. There are so many types of PSP motherboards out there now, there are some which are "unhackable". It seems someone found a flaw in Firmware 5.03 or something and used that to run something called an "exploit" on the RAM which allows for Custom Firmware to run, but it looks like Sony wasted no time in sawing up that little tear with the newer 5.50 Firmware. And now 5.55 is coming out.

I know, the hackers do eventually find some way around these things, but I got my PSP way back in October last year, I think, and it took a long time for them to find this little flaw. Sony's protection is getting better and better.

But that's kind of cool, I guess, kind of like added pressure. It just sucks that I'm again only going to manage to begin playing the game when all you guys have already completed it over and over and maxed out all the stats, just like last year. :lol:

Well, have you considered picking up a regular PSP for regular game play, and keeping the hacked one for hacked stuff?

Well, have you considered picking up a regular PSP for regular game play, and keeping the hacked one for hacked stuff?

Yeah that aproach works.

Rest assured though the PSP firmware has an underlying flaw that I am told by a programming friend of mine will always be present in the existing exploited boards. Unless Sony just do a Microsoft and expect everyone to upgrade and bin the old PSP the flaw will always be there. Therefore they have to write the upgrades with the old boards in mind, people like DarkAlex will always be waiting.

The issue was waiting for hacked firmware updates that newer games require, vs playing newer games without waiting for said updates.

Let's wait and see upon the release of the PSP Go.

Hoping Sony would permit or provide a way to transfer UMD games to memory sticks w/o requiring re-purchasing/fees or hoops.

Let's wait and see upon the release of the PSP Go.

Hoping Sony would permit or provide a way to transfer UMD games to memory sticks w/o requiring re-purchasing/fees or hoops.

Don't hold your breath, why do that when they can make sweet sweet money on selling downloads. Hell, you can't even download games off of more than one PSN account without having to register/re-register your PSP to play between them. Really, the market for the "Go" won't be those who already have PSP's, they're already portable. It'll be thsoe who don't, and want the ease of....why is the lack of UMD's better again? :)

If there's an innovation to come with the Go, ti should be an improved web browser, better java, youtubde, and the use of the memory stick to increase the cache.

Edited by Keith

The issue was waiting for hacked firmware updates that newer games require, vs playing newer games without waiting for said updates.

Can't wait huh?

Strangely, some of the games I played that come with a firmware update higher than my hacked PSP somehow plays fine for some odd reason. Either the dev or Sony is getting lazy.

Hmmm... I hadn't thought of that... I use my PSP for other things aside from PSP games.

Scientific calculator, emulation, chat, file storage, USB controller for PC and PS3, among other things.

I just hope this new firmware gets hacked quickly, because once I pop in the UMD, I don't want to get a message of "the system software must be updated to BLAH version in order to play this game". That'd be a real bummer...

I mean, I WANT to play this game, but my PSP is much more than an entertainment device. No way I'm going back to a normal firmware.

why is the lack of UMD's better again? :)

because you can officially have faster load times and better battery life? B)) It's honestly probably not worth the hassle. Just imagine if you lose your PSP GO or it's stolen and all the hassle you'll probably have to go through just to authorize it to upload all the games you've already purchased.

because you can officially have faster load times and better battery life? B)) It's honestly probably not worth the hassle. Just imagine if you lose your PSP GO or it's stolen and all the hassle you'll probably have to go through just to authorize it to upload all the games you've already purchased.

If it's like any downloadable game/content on PSN, the games should be tied to your account and can be downloaded multiple (limited :() times.

Just read the news about a new game. :D

I'm running CFW firmware, so I'm not really concerned. I think I'll be able to play the game with no problems. The CFW guys are very good about updates and I've yet to have a problem that wasn't fixed within days of the problem occuring (like with Dynasty Warriors Strike Force).

Anyway, can't wait! With this game and Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 coming out in/around November, it's gonna be a fun holiday season!

New info on the game.

There's going to be a limited edition of the game, it's already listed on play-asia. Seems like it's an extra UMD with OP and ED of the Macross shows and an interview with Kawamori. http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-9f-77-...ss-70-3iiz.html

scan of the famitsu article from srwwordpress. can anyone translate the little blurb about the limited edition?

http://superrobotwar.files.wordpress.com/2...fa0805_muf3.jpg

Not sure if its worth it for those with non-japanese PSPs because of the region lock on movies. sad face.... tear.... sparkle....