AKIRA LIVE ACTION MOVIE = Life Support?

I'll probably get a little flamed for this but, in live action Kaneda's bike design looks like excrement... (which is why I would not mind the real bike above)

Something about the anime bike just doesn't translate well to live action.

Heeeeyyyyyy, I'm live action... :lol:

-b.

• 1 year later...

It confused me as a kid... but most anime is confusing and really doesn't make a ton of sense in the end.

All I know is I wanted to watch it over and over haha.

Boring? It's still more violent and action packed than most anime today.

"If"... few words have sparked more disappointment, rage, fear, apprehension, sadness, hope, and disillusionment than those two simple letters.

Second on the trilogy. If this DD writer is a fan and actually read the manga it would be a great chance to be faithful to the source.

The budget would be massive, but maybe they could test the waters with the first one.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Mmh...I think that scifi-anime/manga in general simply don't translate well to live action, but if it's someone like Nolan behind the project then maybe it has a shot. If the rumour is more than than of course.

I just re-read the six volume manga and thought this could definitely work as a trilogy however it would still need appropriate casting for the characters. Filming english only language Akira less than a R-rating and replacing Japanese actors with any other ethnicity would be a disaster.

Edited by TangledThorns

• 1 month later...

I just re-read the six volume manga and thought this could definitely work as a trilogy however it would still need appropriate casting for the characters. Filming english only language Akira less than a R-rating and replacing Japanese actors with any other ethnicity would be a disaster.

My feelings exactly. It has the ideal structure for a trilogy jam packed with action and visual effects, but for it to work, you'd need to understand it first. All the coolness about Akira is subordinated to the whole Shinto/Buddhist spiritual evolution storyline (which is beautifully explained at the end of the book). To make an Akira film just because it has cool visuals is very tempting, but if you miss the point, you'll be left with a very expensive flop.

• 3 years later...
4 hours ago, Dynaman said:

Supposedly the movie is filming.  I had to double check the date on the post to make sure it wasn't an April Fools joke...

https://www.syfy.com/syfywire/akira-shooting-lost-souls-noah-hawley

Nope, it's real (and dreadful...)

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/akira-tops-latest-list-california-tax-credit-recipients-1198716

I have a bad feeling about it....

As manga/anime adaptations go, I feel we got a winner with Battle Angel and a 'meh' with GitS. I thought Kaneda's bike looked pretty cool in Ready Player One, which incidentally didn't appear in the novel. So, I think the bike part is definitely doable. It's everything around it- the plot, writing, and casting, for which I'm dubious concerning a fairly accurate adaptation. I imagine it'll be massaged, Anglicized, and denuded of all the gore and violence which set it apart in order to maintain a PG-13 rating. Thus it'll likely be Akira in name only, sharing little with its inspiration. Furthermore, Taika Waititi has thus far directed much lighter fare, often with a humorous bent, so the violence, gore, and psychodrama of Akira is a bit outside of his wheelhouse. He's also shooting within a restrictive amount of time (71 days due to CA film tax-credit allocations), and as of today, casting has yet to commence. No pressure.

Personally, I don't feel the need for a live action adaptation, although the prospects of what can be done with special effects is appealing. But, Alita aside, I just don't think the vast majority of Hollywood gets anime, and until more talented fans of the genre become directors, producers, and writers at a level where they can achieve the finances necessary to make high budget films, Hollywood will continue to fumble around with anime based films.  Right now, I think Cameron, Rodriguez, Del Toro, Jackson, perhaps Blomkamp, and potentially Travis Knight, are the directors who I feel can translate animation to live action pretty well, and all of them have made films with anime influences, directly and indirectly. If any of these guys were given the reigns to Akira, especially Rodriguez and Jackson, neither of which are strangers to gore and violence, a I think decent adaptation could be made. As it stands, under the current director, I don't have high hopes. I hope he proves me wrong, though.

2 hours ago, seti88 said:

the one thing i might be looking forward though.....shouting kanedaaaa!...tetsuoooo! in the theater...:D:lol:

And still end with...

"But someday.. We ought to be able to.."

"Because, it has already begun"

2 hours ago, seti88 said:

A live action remake of akira...:fool: 

I still demand to release that first live action one. :aggressive: