Yamato toys SALE! at HLJ. Also, any review on the quality of the b

blacklotus

Today, my ems parcel from HLJ arrived at the airport. Got a call from a kindly lady from post office telling me that it is also detained by customs on pending tax collection. So boys and girls, combined shipping may not be a good thing everytime, get the nice people at HLJ to ship your stuff separately because although I have receive big boxes shipment without being taxed many times before, the honest hardworking peeps at HLJ often confuse their customers to be same honest, law abiding citizens like them; so they attached their honest invoice outside of your parcel in plain sight of everyone... and so this time some customs officer who must be pushing for a year-end bonus, decide to look at mine. FML.

What exactly did you order?

In Action!! Offshoot Knight Mare Frame Burai Zero Custom 1 2,600 2,600

Super & Strike Parts for VF-1 1 2,850 2,850

Battle Suit Queadluun-Rau Maximilian Jenius 1 5,880 5,880

Destroid Defender 1 6,370 6,370

Merchandise Total: 17,700

Shipping Charge: 6,100

Total: 23,800

Nothing too extravagant really.

A few weeks back I tried to order 2 Max's 1/48 from HLJ. Shipping was way over $200! Their pages with shipping qoutes are missleading as the total doesn't include the weight of the box, and packaging material. :o

However ordering one Max 1/48, shipping was $50! <_<

However ordering two Max's 1/48 and two SV-51, shipping was just over $200! :blink:

However I then changed my mind and placed pre-orders on other things. :wacko:

So yes, they probably do have set box sizes and etc.

Though be warned. A friend of mine ordered from HLJ numerous items including 5 or 6 1/48. He got two uber-big boxes, one totally filled up, but one only had two valks with enough space for another 3.

Edited by Omegablue

However ordering two Max's 1/48 and two SV-51, shipping was just over $200! :blink:

That seems a bit excessive considering the 1/48 are basically all plastic so weight should be somewhat low. I had an order that shipped in August of 2008 for 12,900 yen. It consisted of a Variable Action Ride Armor Mospeada Blowsperior Yellow, 1/48 Valkyrie Super Pack Parts Set, VF-1 Valkyrie Display Stand, 1/48 Armor Parts for VF-1 Valkyrie, VF-1A Angel Birds Ver and a ver 2 1/60 VF-1S Strike Valkyrie Roy Focker w/Super and Strike parts. Maybe the size of the SV-51 box is pushing it into a larger volume box?

That seems a bit excessive considering the 1/48 are basically all plastic so weight should be somewhat low. I had an order that shipped in August of 2008 for 12,900 yen. It consisted of a Variable Action Ride Armor Mospeada Blowsperior Yellow, 1/48 Valkyrie Super Pack Parts Set, VF-1 Valkyrie Display Stand, 1/48 Armor Parts for VF-1 Valkyrie, VF-1A Angel Birds Ver and a ver 2 1/60 VF-1S Strike Valkyrie Roy Focker w/Super and Strike parts. Maybe the size of the SV-51 box is pushing it into a larger volume box?

I live in South Africa. :(

And yes it excessive. What upsets me is that Hobby Search also uses EMS, but their EMS ends up being 20% to 30% cheaper, and whole lot more when ordering more big items. Only draw back with Hobby Search is that most of the time their items are already sold out on pre-order. :(

But my point is that it's cheaper to order two 1/48 with two SV, which is basically the same when ordering just two 1/48.

So for furture large order, buy only two pcs per shipping box correct? If that is the case, then what is the point of HLJ telling me that they combine shipping?? That is clearly contradicting!!

Here's what HLJ stated:

Hi

To save on shipping, just order all the items you want in a single order and they will be combined for shipping.

Thanks for writing.

I'm sure HLJ does what's best for them while semi accommodating their customers. It's probably a consequence of weight or sheer size of whatever ships raping people on shipping costs.

The best thing to do is probably order only a couple valks per order since their cost puts them in the EMS category. Which is good because that's insured and has tracking. Order everything else in small amounts and weights so it goes SAL. When their are sales like this one though you might just have to take the shipping hit because of the good deals. Well if it still ends up being cheaper than if you bought it before the sale :lol:

but yeah like you said Agent-GHQ their/that statement seems to contradict actual experience. Our shipping costs should be similar since we are in the same general geographic location though..

Edited by bluemax151

Quite often I end up using HLJ as they offer SAL small pac, which works out cheapest for me and has lowest chance of getting caught by customs for VAT (about 1 in 10). It's also the fastest method, delivery usually within 10 days of shipping.

EMS and SAL parcel have track and trace, the thugs at the Dutch mail(TNT) add a 35 USD surcharge for those shipments, always get VAT added and it takes up to 3 weeks to deliver. EMS for me is slow and expensive. It annoys the hell out of me seeing those shipments arive in Amsterdam 3 days after shipping and then taking 3 weeks to complete the last 100 km of the trip.

I'm curious. Is it harmful for companies like HLJ to declare a lower amount for the goods (and the shipping if possible) when they ship them via ems overseas? I'm not very sure how it works but I think they should do that for combined shipments especially because nothing sets off the customs alarm more than an invoice with high figures... High enough that they think they should tax you for the shipping fees + the goods. I pay taxes for everything from income to retail... but there are times when I think I deserve a little reprieve and genuinely think certain taxation (especially coming from the customs) are uncalled for.

Edited by mr.chogokin

I'm curious. Is it harmful for companies like HLJ to declare a lower amount for the goods (and the shipping if possible) when they ship them via ems overseas? I'm not very sure how it works but I think they should do that for combined shipments especially because nothing sets off the customs alarm more than an invoice with high figures... High enough that they think they should tax you for the shipping fees + the goods. I pay taxes for everything from income to retail... but there are times when I think I deserve a little reprieve and genuinely think certain taxation (especially coming from the customs) are uncalled for.

I think they may get fined (and a big one too) for falsifying a customs declaration.

For me, customs is a roll of the dice. Sometimes, I don't pay customs (like when I got my videocard from the USA), sometimes I do. It all evens out in the end.

I live in South Africa. :(

And yes it excessive. What upsets me is that Hobby Search also uses EMS, but their EMS ends up being 20% to 30% cheaper, and whole lot more when ordering more big items. Only draw back with Hobby Search is that most of the time their items are already sold out on pre-order. :(

But my point is that it's cheaper to order two 1/48 with two SV, which is basically the same when ordering just two 1/48.

Really? It would look like that's 2 parcels vs 1 parcel meaning it should be more expensive to ship 4 valks rather than 2 valks. Are you implying its the same price with EMS?

So for furture large order, buy only two pcs per shipping box correct? If that is the case, then what is the point of HLJ telling me that they combine shipping?? That is clearly contradicting!!

Here's what HLJ stated:

Hi

To save on shipping, just order all the items you want in a single order and they will be combined for shipping.

Thanks for writing.

This will be the case if its purely EMS. When SAL is involved, things become more complicated.

I found out items costing above 15,000 yen will be auto-upgraded to EMS despite initial choice of SAL. (due to costs + insurance concerns). My items was 13,500 yen which was below 15,000 yen but due to the bigger than SAL small packet box, i was upgraded to SAL Parcel instead of EMS. And hence more expensive and less quick shipping.

Most people would hit above 15,000 yen anyway if they have big/expensive items so this is usually no problem. But when there's sales involved, lots of these weird stuff happens. >_<

If you ship stuff exclusively with EMS there shouldn't be a problem with unexpected shipping charges.

Really? It would look like that's 2 parcels vs 1 parcel meaning it should be more expensive to ship 4 valks rather than 2 valks. Are you implying its the same price with EMS?

Most people would hit above 15,000 yen anyway if they have big/expensive items so this is usually no problem. But when there's sales involved, lots of these weird stuff happens. >_<

Yip, basically a $20 diffirence but it's cheaper to order 4 than 2 for my side of the world. Had the same issue when ordering 2 Revoltechs, and when I did a bulk order of them with friends (10 in total) they ended up costing over 30% cheaper than when ordering just 2.

And yes, I've noticed that too about this confusion happening when the sales are on.

I have had an incident when trying to order a Valk on sale, it was at 40% to 50%, can't remember exactly the price, but anyway with shipping the thing actually ended up only costing 10% less than without the sale discount. It come across that they were trying to make the money lost in the sale by hiking up the shipping price? Anyone else had this happening to them?

As for the heavy customs fees in the Netherlands, I expereinced that when I was living in Rotterdam back in 2001. Although I always got my EMS packages within a week. Maybe Rotterdam and Amsterdam have different procedure?

And yip Agen-GHQ, there's alot of contradictions. Guess it all depends how they feel in the week, and if they like the name on the order. LOL

As for the heavy customs fees in the Netherlands, I expereinced that when I was living in Rotterdam back in 2001. Although I always got my EMS packages within a week. Maybe Rotterdam and Amsterdam have different procedure?

All the airmail goes trough Amsterdam. EMS was fine in terms of speed till 2006 when TNT completed it's takeover of the dutch mail. After that things went slower and slower. It is not just EMS, the whole mail service has been in decline since then.

My shipment arrived! Pleasantly surprised by the colour of the Defender in person and a little disappointed that the CMS Max doesn't fit too well in the Queadluun-Rau. Everything came packed in a pretty big HLJ box with plenty of plastic bubble packing bits.

I actually found a picture of my August 08 shipping box. Surprisingly it was sent in a Bandai plamo collection case whch I didn't remember until I stumbled back onto this picture.

th_8-21-2008003.jpg

Also maybe not the best place to ask but what's the difference between the different strike/fast pack stand alone sets? Just the colour(s)?

actually there are 2 kinds of standalone FAST packs. The DYRL? super/strike packs and the TV super packs.

So yes, the TV super packs have slightly different arm armor, and does not have the strike cannon.

Incidentally, my my shipment of a Super/Strike VF-1A Hikaru , VF-1S Roy (no FPs) and a Kotobukiya stand... cost 3600 yen by SAL and it arrived 6 days after the shipping order was sent!

Haha...my earlier order 2 weeks back took 12 days

Yip, basically a $20 diffirence but it's cheaper to order 4 than 2 for my side of the world. Had the same issue when ordering 2 Revoltechs, and when I did a bulk order of them with friends (10 in total) they ended up costing over 30% cheaper than when ordering just 2.

And yes, I've noticed that too about this confusion happening when the sales are on.

I have had an incident when trying to order a Valk on sale, it was at 40% to 50%, can't remember exactly the price, but anyway with shipping the thing actually ended up only costing 10% less than without the sale discount. It come across that they were trying to make the money lost in the sale by hiking up the shipping price? Anyone else had this happening to them?

And yip Agen-GHQ, there's alot of contradictions. Guess it all depends how they feel in the week, and if they like the name on the order. LOL

I really don't think Scott of HLJ is that kind of person having met the guy in person.

After clearing it up with HLJ, i have concluded that these unexpected shipping charges are just a matter of HLJ's automatic system assumptions based on their rigid policies on shipping. Everything can be found on their FAQ. So it would be wrong to think that they mark up the shipping price since they don't earn anything on shipping.

I did throw the feedback back to them on it and hopefully they will upgrade their system to be more flexible in terms of shipping types and how it bundles shipments.

Incidentally, my my shipment of a Super/Strike VF-1A Hikaru , VF-1S Roy (no FPs) and a Kotobukiya stand... cost 3600 yen by SAL and it arrived 6 days after the shipping order was sent!

Haha...my earlier order 2 weeks back took 12 days

Nice that's like a little over $36 but it does make your earlier shipment suspect considering it took twice as long for the same shipping method I assume. How's the stand?

Thanks for the info btw guys. Totally forgot about the forearm missiles on the DYRL style and totally didn't know the TV ones lacked the cannon or that triangle bit.

I really don't think Scott of HLJ is that kind of person having met the guy in person.

I did throw the feedback back to them on it and hopefully they will upgrade their system to be more flexible in terms of shipping types and how it bundles shipments.

I'll take your word for it. I've only spoken to Scott via E-mail when an order didn't ship (Was actually postal hold in Japan), and does seem to be a very helpful guy. Though I also think his business is huge these, and probably to busy to monitor the technicalities of it.

Do you think it's possible you can ask him to implement Hobby Search's website system, which works out the EMS shipping before purchasing?

I think they may get fined (and a big one too) for falsifying a customs declaration.

For me, customs is a roll of the dice. Sometimes, I don't pay customs (like when I got my videocard from the USA), sometimes I do. It all evens out in the end.

3 v2.0 Valkyries ordered to the UK... And I'm three for three on customs charges at 25 pounds a time. Customs are also slightly more expensive if shipped by EMS.

Anything with Japan written on the box or shipping label gets hit in my experience. I always pay for EMS because I like to know exactly what Parcelforce in my country are doing with the package.

They're pretty poor. For example, today I ordered the Cannon fodder VF-1J from HLJ. It will arrive in the main UK hub in about 5 days maximum. It won't be in my hands until another week after that.

Customs here don't seem to work weekends and have a terrible system whereupon you actually have to wait on them sending you a physical letter with a customs payment code on it after it has been shipped and held in your local depot....

So all the while you're looking at the tracking details and it says:

"Awaiting payment of charges"

and you can't pay because you don't have a fricking code to enter into their online payment system because you haven't received the bit of paper! You'd think it would be accessible online via the parcel tracking number... but crazily it isn't. With such an strange system, EMS is the only option for me as it gives me peace of mind regarding the whereabouts of my packages. My v2.0 Focker for example was "Out for delivery" for 8 hours after paying the ransom but ended up back in the local depot because the van driver had put the package in the back of his van, but had decided not to bother delivering everything as he was "getting near the end of his shift and didn't want to go back into the centre of town" according to their customer service department.

For smaller items bought from eBay, like Figmas or Revoltechs, I tend to just go with Honk Kong post and the trusty green paper or SAL as any potential mishap wouldn't be a complete disaster.

Edited by blackwater_park

3 v2.0 Valkyries ordered to the UK... And I'm three for three on customs charges at 25 pounds a time. Customs are also slightly more expensive if shipped by EMS.

Anything with Japan written on the box or shipping label gets hit in my experience. I always pay for EMS because I like to know exactly what Parcelforce in my country are doing with the package.

They're pretty poor. For example, today I ordered the Cannon fodder VF-1J from HLJ. It will arrive in the main UK hub in about 5 days maximum. It won't be in my hands until another week after that.

Customs here don't seem to work weekends and have a terrible system whereupon you actually have to wait on them sending you a physical letter with a customs payment code on it after it has been shipped and held in your local depot....

So all the while you're looking at the tracking details and it says:

"Awaiting payment of charges"

and you can't pay because you don't have a fricking code to enter into their online payment system because you haven't received the bit of paper! You'd think it would be accessible online via the parcel tracking number... but crazily it isn't. With such an strange system, EMS is the only option for me as it gives me peace of mind regarding the whereabouts of my packages. My v2.0 Focker for example was "Out for delivery" for 8 hours after paying the ransom but ended up back in the local depot because the van driver had put the package in the back of his van, but had decided not to bother delivering everything as he was "getting near the end of his shift and didn't want to go back into the centre of town" according to their customer service department.

For smaller items bought from eBay, like Figmas or Revoltechs, I tend to just go with Honk Kong post and the trusty green paper or SAL as any potential mishap wouldn't be a complete disaster.

Sorry to hear that all three of your parcels got taxed. Need to know, is it a standard procedure for the customs crooks to add the shipping amount to the merchandize? The crooks who detained my HLJ parcel did that to me no matter how I pleaded with one of them not to, because I didn't pay for EMS and end up driving 300km to and fro to get them... that they have no right to tax my shipping money. So when all is settled and paid for, out of frustration, loudly, I told the crook who was dealing with me that what his job is no different from robbery. Everyone within earshot gave disapproving looks to these crooks after hearing that. :lol:

damn that mugen looked tempting but it didn't come withh the special armor

The special armor is redundant. The mugen itself despite its many articulation points is limited to wooden and uninspiring poses because the limbs' movements are hindered by other parts on the calibur blocking the way. It is not a bad toy, personally I like the metal contents but the retail price versus the simplicity of the mugen calibur is not worth it. If you really want the one with the armor, we should all wait for it and the green version to drop 70% also.

Yeah, no need to trip over yourselves to get one, I got it and the only things good about it are the accessories, the decent metal content and the fact that it's actually well-put together. Articulation and pose-ability wise, he's a chunky piece of articulated wood; all promise and no frisson. Since I'm not familiar with the anime, I scoured the net looking for the linearts and to be honest, they make the CM's sculpt for the Dorvack look imbecilic.

Edited by mr.chogokin

I opened my Mugen yesterday. It's a lot like a repolished old school Calibur can a 21st century revamp. I'll do a review on it soon. I paid less than $80 US (shipped) for it cause HLJ sent it as combined SAL (even cheaper than separated SAL), and it was well worth it. It's got a color combination of the original's plus the armor's gray. The good thing about being old school is that it's very flush and solid.

Your not missing anything without the armor, it's one of the least inspiring combat armor I've seen from any toy (even my Animated Samurai Prowl looks better). But if you want something more up-to-date with today's designs/styles; you may want to wait for Fewture's Mugen Calibur instead... I don't know how much that's gonna cost though.

Below's a link to prototype photos:

http://www.collectiondx.com/news_item/0318...n_mugen_calibur