Macross II Valks

macrossfan00

And this coming from someone who enjoyed Star Trek 2009 and wants that franchise to be dumb-ed down even more.

Not sure of the exact wording, but I think one of your posts went something like this: "seek out life and explore new worlds... and then blast the crap out of them..."

I don't see the connection at all. One was fun and took a tired and dead franchise in a new and inclusive direction the other took a franchise, threw it under the bus and backed over it a few times and then stapled a body kit onto the carcass and made it so polarizing even fans of the franchise can't make up their minds about it.

Would love to see a VF-2SS Hasegawa kit or a Yamato toy. The design is a respectfull futurized version of the VF-1, can't really go wrong with that. The other MII design I really like is the basic Zentradi pod, can't place it but it just has something.

If this story had been done by Kawamori, people wouldn't be haters on this series. I am still always amazed how this series & mecha get treated like crap, when every other Macross series gets the respect it deserves. Its still MACROSS one way or the other, despite who designed the Mecha, no one goes Bananas when a new character designer takes over.......

New character designers don't cause an uproar because all of them have done good work and produced good looking characters, unlike the mech designers. Whoever designed the Valks of MacII has clearly been studying at the import bodykit school of design aesthetics; i.e. substituting actual aesthetics with a metric ton of superfluous fins and intakes.

Think the contrast between DYRL and MII more then anything caused the backlash against the latter. Not sure why character designs don't affect the fans the way mecha designs do. Personally I can't stand Masayuki's designs in M+. Saito, Takahashi and Ebata did good work but can't compete with Mikimoto imo. Maybe there is just greater tolerance for variation in chara design.

If Macross 7 was exactly the same but had SK's name taken off of it, it would still be a train-wreck of horribly ugly mecha designs, bad music, unlikeable characters, and imbecilic storytelling, and I'd still hate on it.

So then why do you like bland unlikable characters, derivative storytelling, bad music, ugly mecha designs, and the all the spectacular time wasting scenes in Macross II?

Fancy that... the VF-2SS's railgun is pretty much all hollow barrel... hell, the barrel isn't even sealed, a full side of it is open to space. The weapon's placement on the mecha is essentially a non-issue anyway, since it's a dedicated space fighter, and the weapon is essentially recoil-less. Even if it was, it's not like it's up there unsupported, being on a massive support arm that looks to be bigger around than the VF-2SS's actual arms. In its intended operating environment, it's a less cumbersome weapon than the front-heavy, over-long rifles used by the VF-25G and VF-27. <_<

I don't know where you live Mr Space Cadet, but I'm on earth where making a robot balance a dinner plate on its head is a bad idea. Especially if you want to make a toy of it. And the size of the support arm doesn't matter since the only new toy planned is still 1/100 scale which is too small to make effective at supporting the dinner plate. And the sniper rifle and beam gun are not over-long or front heavy. This ain't the gun from Superman at Earth's End.

I don't know where you live Mr Space Cadet, but I'm on earth where making a robot balance a dinner plate on its head is a bad idea. Especially if you want to make a toy of it. And the size of the support arm doesn't matter since the only new toy planned is still 1/100 scale which is too small to make effective at supporting the dinner plate. And the sniper rifle and beam gun are not over-long or front heavy. This ain't the gun from Superman at Earth's End.

I come form Earth where Anime is Science Fiction so anything is possible like balancing a dinner plate on a Valks head. If you don't want one I'll take two servings of VF-2SS on that plate and be back for thirds.

VF-2SS you are sexy with or with out your SAP!!! Well Ishtar is sexier and being in the worse Macross anime story wise still does not change how much I want Mac II stuff.

Glad to see there is some support here for Macross II mecha, its been said over & over to an annoying level that the story was not that good for the OVA, the Mecha, quit being haters, The VF-2SS is a deadly fighter and when it does come out one day in 1/60 scale, you smack talkers are gonna secretly be buying them, cause they are that awesome in design!!

And as Dax415 said, Look at a Metal Siren and a VF-25. The way the wings mount on the back.

The VF-1MS Metal Siren, Want one!!

post-6180-1245002372_thumb.jpg

Think the contrast between DYRL and MII more then anything caused the backlash against the latter. Not sure why character designs don't affect the fans the way mecha designs do. Personally I can't stand Masayuki's designs in M+. Saito, Takahashi and Ebata did good work but can't compete with Mikimoto imo. Maybe there is just greater tolerance for variation in chara design.

I liked the designs for Mac+, the uniform/clothing designs were a little weak but I've always liked the actual characters. as for Mikimoto, I love his designs for DYRL? but everything he's done since have been kind of disappointing. I actually prefer the character designs form MacF and Mac+ to Mikimoto's Mac7 and MacII work.

Glad to see there is some support here for Macross II mecha, its been said over & over to an annoying level that the story was not that good for the OVA, the Mecha, quit being haters, The VF-2SS is a deadly fighter and when it does come out one day in 1/60 scale, you smack talkers are gonna secretly be buying them, cause they are that awesome in design!!

And as Dax415 said, Look at a Metal Siren and a VF-25. The way the wings mount on the back.

The VF-1MS Metal Siren, Want one!!

I hate mac II but I'll happily buy a vf-2ss. Generally I'm not keen on that angular 80's futuristic look but I think it'll look great next to my gundams.

easy pass on the metal siren and the other valkyrie design though but I'd be game for the destroid designs.

I'd pass on the Metal Siren, personally, I think it's a hideous looking plane.

I'd definitely buy multiples of the VF-2SS and VF-2JA.

Graham

Yeah. Definitely the 2JA. Then, I can put a foldildo on and make it that plane from Galaxy! :lol:

I like the Siren. without the spear, and with a better paint scheme though, HATE gundam colours (blue, white, red...)

Aren't you an Aussie?

I'd pass on the Metal Siren, personally, I think it's a hideous looking plane.

I'd definitely buy multiples of the VF-2SS and VF-2JA.

Graham

My feelings are exactly at the same place.

Not to fond of the Metal Siren's design. I do like the look of the -2JA. The -2SS I really like, esp. with the armor.

I'm still trying to figure out how this thread got so far derailed from the prospect and chance of toys being made to arguments over the gun length. In anycase, while it's not the best Macross OVA, the mecha is definitely different, and unique compared to its counterparts. I've never had a problem with the large canon, the futuristic look of the Valkyrie. Should they make the VF-2SS, the 2JA, or even the Metal Siren, I'm in for any and all. But, that's just me, I like the odd mecha that isn't the most popular. I love the mecha from this series. Then again, I'd probably be first in line if Yamato made a 1/60 VA-3C

I'm still trying to figure out how this thread got so far derailed from the prospect and chance of toys being made to arguments over the gun length. In anycase, while it's not the best Macross OVA, the mecha is definitely different, and unique compared to its counterparts. I've never had a problem with the large canon, the futuristic look of the Valkyrie. Should they make the VF-2SS, the 2JA, or even the Metal Siren, I'm in for any and all. But, that's just me, I like the odd mecha that isn't the most popular. I love the mecha from this series. Then again, I'd probably be first in line if Yamato made a 1/60 VA-3C

Well said!! I say make the toys and people will buy them! Its long over due!!

As someone who has not seen much of the anime (other than the original) I have to say the VF-2SS blows away the more constantly seen (in toy form) YF-19 and YF-21.

Those wings in battroid kill me. It's like they forgot about them until the end and said -- just let them hang off. I have not seen that anime but do they grow new ones? Because they would snap off in 1.2 seconds in actual battroid combat.

I always think - "Gee, those fighters must have done something great in the anime cuz the designs suck".

And equally - "Gee, that Mac II must have sure sucked for people to hate on that design".

I know folks will see this comparison pic and still like the 21 better. And I will be shaking my head and wondering if they're seeing the same Go-Bot design I'm seeing.

Your winning YF-19/YF-21 argument against me is 'see the shows then you'll know' I guess . . .

(Ooooo - and on topic I hope Yamato does a 1/60 VF-2SS)

post-8486-1245090621_thumb.jpg

I don't understand where you're getting this "versus" argument from. Almost everyone here has said they like the vf-2ss design but not necessarily the show it's from.

But hey, people have different tastes, not everyone likes 80's faux-futuristic ricer body kit look of the vf-2ss. You know, like how some people like porsches and some people like:

ricer_civic_2.jpg

I know folks will see this comparison pic and still like the 21 better. And I will be shaking my head and wondering if they're seeing the same Go-Bot design I'm seeing.

(Ooooo - and on topic I hope Yamato does a 1/60 VF-2SS)

Agreed on both points and well said. The VF-2SS deserves a 1/60 Yamato toy right after the VF-4 :)

But hey, people have different tastes, not everyone likes 80's faux-futuristic ricer body kit look of the vf-2ss. You know, like how some people like porsches and some people like:

ricer_civic_2.jpg

DUUUUUDE - that's sweeet, the crooked license plate makes it for me . . .

Those wings in battroid kill me. It's like they forgot about them until the end and said -- just let them hang off. I have not seen that anime but do they grow new ones? Because they would snap off in 1.2 seconds in actual battroid combat.

well besides the fact they're not wings and the plane can function fine without them (as seen in the movie) it's also clearly capable of hand to hand combat without losing them (as seen in the OVA). and it's no worse then having most of the mechs peripheral vision blocked by it's own chest.

:lol:

good one

THIS!

I still think that they're the best VF designs of any of the sequels, until Mac F. I know I'm in the minority, but I've never liked the Mac+ designs or their derivatives.

:huh: WHAT :huh: I considered the Mac+ designs to be sleek and cool

well besides the fact they're not wings and the plane can function fine without them (as seen in the movie) it's also clearly capable of hand to hand combat without losing them (as seen in the OVA). and it's no worse then having most of the mechs peripheral vision blocked by it's own chest.

Humble apologies - I did think that those were wings. I will look more closely at the lineart to understand those pieces.

Surprised they kept them on since they're not integral and they look so bad . . .

:huh: WHAT :huh: I considered the Mac+ designs to be sleek and cool

Something about the Mac+ designs have never gelled with me. I couldn't tell you exactly what it is, I just don't like them. Personally, I find the VF-2s to be both sleek and intimidating looking.

The Metal Siren? Yeah, I think I'd take a YF-19, first.

The Metal Siren takes time to grow on you. Its that Spear on the front of the nose in Fighter mode that really looks off. But Gerwalk & Battroid are awesome. Especially when blazing away with 2 Gun Pods at one time!! (Then again this comment is only accurate if you like MAC II designs, which I do!)

So, I take it no one saved pictures of that transformable model VF-2SS that was posted on the board a couple of years ago?

Can't say that I did. Although, with 4 model kits of my own of the model kit, and 2 of them built, I could definitely use a toy of these Valks about now. 1/100 scale is super small for detail, so a 1/60 would be awesome to go with everything else out. I'm still keeping my fingers crossed, but not holding my breath for them. I believe it when I see it.

I'm really surprised by the negativity towards the Macross 2 valks. They’re beautiful. Sorry, but Macross 7 has some of the ugliest designs in the Macross Universe, let alone the lamest characters and plot. I agree with the people that said if Kawamori had his name on Macross 2, it would be more loved. One of those things I guess.

But back on topic, the Macross 2 valks have me excited, and I’m up for them.  Uber glad reading Graham’s reply.

Here's a little info in hopes to boost the equity of Mac 2 valks, for those who don't know... The VF2SS is designed by Koichi Ohata, the same guy who gave us the iconic, not to mention impossibly powerful Gunbuster.

post-7892-1245225585_thumb.png

He may not have designed the Mac 2 valks as mechanically realistic as how Kawamori did, but upon seeing the K-San's Messiah and Lucifer mechs in Macross Frontier, I feel Ohata's designs were probably too ahead of its time for most to appreciate.

Here's a little info in hopes to boost the equity of Mac 2 valks, for those who don't know... The VF2SS is designed by Koichi Ohata, the same guy who gave us the iconic, not to mention impossibly powerful Gunbuster.

post-7892-1245225585_thumb.png

He may not have designed the Mac 2 valks as mechanically realistic as how Kawamori did, but upon seeing the K-San's Messiah and Lucifer mechs in Macross Frontier, I feel Ohata's designs were probably too ahead of its time for most to appreciate.

Doesn't make the MacII valks any better looking.

Design wise, the Gunbuster was really more of a super robot; Koichi does fantasy and super robot designs much better than real robot and comparing gunbuster to the VF2SS I think proves it.