Macross II Valks

macrossfan00

This thread is too vague.

Technically, they WERE produced. Bandai made a transformable model kit for the VF-whatever-it-was-called-in-Macross-II.

But I gather you mean will Yamato or Bandai make a 1/60 or something like that scale?

Personally I think there are better things to do. I don't like the designs. They look like Macross 'Seed Destiny' with all those bigger guns which are just out of proportion.

But who knows - if Yamato did it I'd probably buy it. I don't know enough about it to really have an opinion - which makes me the perfect candidate to write my thoughts down on the internets ;P

Pete

I know Macross II gets a lot of flak, but I like the design of the VF2 and VF2SS

THIS!

I still think that they're the best VF designs of any of the sequels, until Mac F. I know I'm in the minority, but I've never liked the Mac+ designs or their derivatives.

Technically, they WERE produced. Bandai made a transformable model kit for the VF-whatever-it-was-called-in-Macross-II.

But I gather you mean will Yamato or Bandai make a 1/60 or something like that scale?

Personally I think there are better things to do. I don't like the designs. They look like Macross 'Seed Destiny' with all those bigger guns which are just out of proportion.

But who knows - if Yamato did it I'd probably buy it. I don't know enough about it to really have an opinion - which makes me the perfect candidate to write my thoughts down on the internets ;P

Pete

HATER.

http://www.vf-2ss.com/

Plus Bandai have already shown a 2SS (without SAP!) for their 1/100 line, ignore Pete and his hating ways. :p:lol:

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

Are you sure you're talking about Macross II, and not, say, a far worse offender called Macross Frontier?

The VF-2SS Valkyrie II's rail cannon is far and away the largest VF-mounted weapon in Macross II, and it's only about 7 meters long. I seem to remember the VF-27 lugging around a beam rifle that's well over 14 meters long... longer than the entire VF-2SS WITH THE RAIL CANNON. I also seem to recall the VF-25G lugging around a railgun that's at least 10 meters long, significantly larger than the one on the VF-2SS. Of course, if you want to talk disproportionate weaponry, you can't do better than the VF-25 Armored Messiah.

So we're left with two conclusions... you're either misinformed, or you're projecting so hard I could point you at a wall and use you to show the Powerpoint presentation at my next meeting. <_<

Any chance we'll ever see these produced?

There's already been one... Bandai did a 1:100 scale transforming VF-2SS w/ SAP parts kit back in the 90's, and they're releasing a VF-2SS toy as part of the VF-100 series. I'm hoping they'll also cover the VF-2JA Icarus and maybe even the Metal Siren eventually.

I'd be over the moon about it if they released a 1:60 VF-2SS.

Edited by Seto Kaiba

*snip nerd rage*

Pfft. At least the VF-27 holds its gun with two hands. The railgun thing on the VF-2SS was always a bad idea. I have the Bandai kit and that whole assembly makes it top heavy and the crappy little articulated arm didn't help either. Is there even anything that holds the assembly over the head or does it just rest on top like in the kit? I see nothing like that in the TIAS.

post-1819-1244861696_thumb.jpg

*snip fallacious attempt to defend Macross Frontier's even larger and less practical weapons*

I have the Bandai kit and that whole assembly makes it top heavy and the crappy little articulated arm didn't help either. Is there even anything that holds the assembly over the head or does it just rest on top like in the kit? I see nothing like that in the TIAS.

Yeah, the old Bandai 1:100 transformable kit leaves a bit to be desired, accuracy-wise. The mecha itself is fairly accurate to the art and animation, but the backpack of the Super Armed Pack system is about twice as thick as it's supposed to be, and sits much higher up on the airframe than it's supposed to. Presumably there's some kind of hinge or other retaining mechanism holding it in place besides that one large retaining arm, but it isn't shown in the art. I suppose it IS possible that large arm is the main structural element holding the rail cannon in place.

It's rare for a toy to be 100% accurate to the mecha seen in the show... it's just too difficult most of the time.

I am hoping that the VF-100 series VF-2SS (if a SAP version is released for it) will be more accurate to what's shown in the lineart and the animation.

Edited by Seto Kaiba

I'm hoping for a standard VF-2SS, WITH removeable armour pack later.

2SS is just sexy.

That wouldn't hurt my feelings any... I'd probably buy a few.

(Says the man with about a half-dozen unbuilt 1:72 VF-2SS SAP Valkyrie II kits)

Pfft. At least the VF-27 holds its gun with two hands. The railgun thing on the VF-2SS was always a bad idea. I have the Bandai kit and that whole assembly makes it top heavy and the crappy little articulated arm didn't help either. Is there even anything that holds the assembly over the head or does it just rest on top like in the kit? I see nothing like that in the TIAS.

post-1819-1244861696_thumb.jpg

Your talking about these Valk's like they are real machines....... Its Anime, creativity, art work, labor and design. All of which the VF-2SS, VF-2JA and the Metal Siren have. The VF2 Rail gun is awesome!!

If this story had been done by Kawamori, people wouldn't be haters on this series. I am still always amazed how this series & mecha get treated like crap, when every other Macross series gets the respect it deserves. Its still MACROSS one way or the other, despite who designed the Mecha, no one goes Bananas when a new character designer takes over.......

If Yamato or Bandai made Macross II Valkyries in 1/60. Frak my credit cards, I'm getting minimal 2 of each, thats how awesome they are!!!!!!!!

Macross 4 life!!!!!!

Pete

I would buy them in a heartbeat!

IMHO big guns in space totally work since aerodynamics do not matter (i guess if you compensate for the recoil force, if any)! Even if the idea were scientifically ridiculous (i'm no expert), I'm all for super tooled up valkyries!

Your talking about these Valk's like they are real machines....... Its Anime, creativity, art work, labor and design. All of which the VF-2SS, VF-2JA and the Metal Siren have. The VF2 Rail gun is awesome!!

If this story had been done by Kawamori, people wouldn't be haters on this series. I am still always amazed how this series & mecha get treated like crap, when every other Macross series gets the respect it deserves. Its still MACROSS one way or the other, despite who designed the Mecha, no one goes Bananas when a new character designer takes over.......

If MacII was exactly the same but had SK's name on it; it would still be an unispired mess and I'd still hate on it. All other macross properties get more respect than II because it doesn't deserve that kind of respect. no matter who's involved it's still a weak rehash of DYRL? with a cast you have no reason to care about and horrible mecha design.

New character designers don't cause an uproar because all of them have done good work and produced good looking characters, unlike the mech designers. Whoever designed the Valks of MacII has clearly been studying at the import bodykit school of design aesthetics; i.e. substituting actual aesthetics with a metric ton of superfluous fins and intakes.

*snip snip snip snip haircut!*

Haha. Larger and more impractical? Have you seen any other mecha show besides Mac II? The VF-27's beam gun is no worse than say the Zeta Gundam's Hyper Mega Launcher, L-Gaim MK II's Buster Launcher, or a Zaku's Magella top cannon. It's a big weapon but most of that is the hollow front barrel and it is meant to be wielded with two hands.. Even the Armored VF-25 is pretty well balanced with the major bits distributed all over the body. The VF-2SS pack is the only one that's essentially trying to balance a serving plate on its head :3

Uh, not to get on your case, but I'm pretty sure the armored VF-25F carried the sniper rifle single handedly while wielding the standard gunpod in the other hand.

the VF-2SS still looks terrible, but for other reasons.

Edited by Cent

If Yamato or Bandai made Macross II Valkyries in 1/60. Frak my credit cards, I'm getting minimal 2 of each, thats how awesome they are!!!!!!!!

Macross 4 life!!!!!!

Totally agree. Yamato or Bandai should definitely make a 1/60 or 1/48 VF-2SS Toy...for anyone that's a fan of the VF-1S Strike, the VF-2SS is the next logical progression in terms of design flow. It's how one imagined the "next" VF-1S would look. In fact, that's probably why Kawamori went with such drastically different Y-Wing/Zentraedi-inspired mecha designs for Plus and 7 since the "evolution of the VF-1" look was already covered by Macross II at the time. Sure the Macross II OVAs had some weak moments, but the mecha designs were 10/10. They play Macross II music throughout Macross 7, so all the hate for this series can be confusing at times. I gotta imagine Yamato will eventually get to this, particularly if they start producing more obscure toys like the VF-5000...and let's not forget, Macross II OVAs, particularly the first few volumes, made a lot of money for Big West, Bandai and U.S. Renditions (Books Nippan)...there is a fan base to satisfy here...how can any Macross fan say this design won't sell: http://ghostlightning.files.wordpress.com/...-vf-2ss-mmm.jpg

If MacII was exactly the same but had SK's name on it; it would still be an unispired mess and I'd still hate on it.

If Macross 7 was exactly the same but had SK's name taken off of it, it would still be a train-wreck of horribly ugly mecha designs, bad music, unlikeable characters, and imbecilic storytelling, and I'd still hate on it.

If you don't like Macross II, that's your own business, but the OP asked if we were going to see any toys of the Macross II valkyreis in the near future, and the answer is unequivocally YES. If you don't like that, too bad. It's not like someone's holding a gun to your head until you buy one.

Whoever designed the Valks of MacII has clearly been studying at the import bodykit school of design aesthetics; i.e. substituting actual aesthetics with a metric ton of superfluous fins and intakes.

If you replaced "MacII" with "Macross 7" or "Macross Frontier", you would have my complete agreement. Kawamori clearly had Gundam on the brain when he was doing Macross Frontier, and the only way you could make the Sound Force valkyries look more like the VF equivalents of the sort of cheaply souped-up rice-burner you see high school kids driving is if they fitted big, gaudy chrome spoilers behind the cockpits. <_<

The VF-27's beam gun is no worse than say the Zeta Gundam's Hyper Mega Launcher, L-Gaim MK II's Buster Launcher, or a Zaku's Magella top cannon.

And it's no better than any of them either... thank you. :3

It's a big weapon but most of that is the hollow front barrel and it is meant to be wielded with two hands.. [...] The VF-2SS pack is the only one that's essentially trying to balance a serving plate on its head :3

Fancy that... the VF-2SS's railgun is pretty much all hollow barrel... hell, the barrel isn't even sealed, a full side of it is open to space. The weapon's placement on the mecha is essentially a non-issue anyway, since it's a dedicated space fighter, and the weapon is essentially recoil-less. Even if it was, it's not like it's up there unsupported, being on a massive support arm that looks to be bigger around than the VF-2SS's actual arms. In its intended operating environment, it's a less cumbersome weapon than the front-heavy, over-long rifles used by the VF-25G and VF-27. <_<

Edited by Seto Kaiba

wait and see??? Good thing there's so many good things coming out, the waiting will be easy.

No kidding... even just within Macross II there's still plenty of good stuff coming... Macross Chronicle's actually publishing new information about the characters and mecha, we've got the promise of at least one VF-100 series toy, and more...

I'm glad there's going to be some macross II stuff coming out even if its only 1/100 scale. I thought most of the Macross II mecha were natural progressions of the original designs. While the vf2ss is my favorite valk of the series, it took a while for the metal siren to appeal to me. It looks like a vf-1 valk + gundam .....pay attention to the wing position of battroid for my next comment, but the macross frontier valks look similiar to the metal siren's battroid with a few concept changes......vf-1 valk + evangelion + some zentraedi tidbits for bulk and intimidation. Not hating on it, but it just reminds me of it.

Edited by Dax415

It's not like someone's holding a gun to your head until you buy one.

Think of it this way; whether it's Bandai or Yamato making it, they can only work on a finite number of new products at any one time. So every resource that they put toward making MacII toys is a resource they take away from making products I'd actually want. By working on a a VF-2whatever valks like the VF-4 and VF-17 take that much longer to to see production. That's just how I see it.

Of course Frontier stuff will come out before Mac II stuff, quit hating, we just want these produced, no matter how long it takes. :D

At least Yamato could have a go once it's neverending milking of SDF-1/DYRL? & Plus, seeing how Bandai will not let up Frontier, yamato can do it for us.

1/60 style! :D

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

If MacII was exactly the same but had SK's name on it; it would still be an unispired mess and I'd still hate on it. All other macross properties get more respect than II because it doesn't deserve that kind of respect. no matter who's involved it's still a weak rehash of DYRL? with a cast you have no reason to care about and horrible mecha design.

New character designers don't cause an uproar because all of them have done good work and produced good looking characters, unlike the mech designers. Whoever designed the Valks of MacII has clearly been studying at the import bodykit school of design aesthetics; i.e. substituting actual aesthetics with a metric ton of superfluous fins and intakes.

And this coming from someone who enjoyed Star Trek 2009 and wants that franchise to be dumb-ed down even more.

Not sure of the exact wording, but I think one of your posts went something like this: "seek out life and explore new worlds... and then blast the crap out of them..."

Anyone save any of the pics of the VF-2SS that used to be posted in this old thread? :unsure: : Linky.

The transforming model they showed in that thread before made me appreciate the look and design of the VF-2SS.