Mac Aus Con 2010'

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?...=80#entry765891

gallery_3118_337_467618.png

MAC AUS CON 2010' GOLD COAST is Official.

So i guess it's settled, Mac Aus Con 2010' will be on the Saturday weekend (Fri, Sat and Sunday) July 31st!

Summer Wonderfest is on the 25th of July. Cool!

Surf, Sand, Macross. :-P Goin to Surfers Paradise baby!!

so there we go! :) Exact location will follow, along with the Offical Mac Aus Con Website.

Poll will go up eventually to vote on the dates fav'd by us, want to get the dates set and done before the end of June.

Reason being we are needing to scout early for hotels, we are looking at something like the Novatel, group savings and a sweet deal is essential.

This years theme will not have the cinema function, which will lower costs drastically obviously.

Please remember mac aus con is a non-profit convention, made by fans for fans.

Official Mac Aus Con Website is in process.

Now if your wondering what i want to emphasize for this year - think "art exhibition".

Also! The Ruskii and Mac Aus Con has gone Twitter! - https://twitter.com/MacAusCon / If your after up-to-date progress of Mac Aus Con 10' here you go.

So there we go!

Mac Aus Con 2010' is official. :) Please submit your ideas/intentions/support. We are known in Macross Central and with efforts to continue mac aus con 09's review in Japan.

Matt!

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

Hi!

I have an 'idea' about 2010 Con Venue at least.

I'm a partime Sqd. LT. in the AAL and I currently take care of a cadet squadron that operates from the R.S.L. War Memorial Hall they are part of. This hall is 380 Square Meters and can take up to 500 people. It has a stage, Bar, Kitchenette, and toilets. If you're looking for a Venue in Sydney let me know and I'll see what the brass says and what strings I can pull. (i.e. if I can use it for free for the Con etc..) At the very least we could public hire it and I can organise a heavy discount, as I'd imagine they still may want some cash as people who come in are 'public guests' for insurance reasons etc.. but even so I may be even able to pay for that as squadron expense if the cadets are involved somehow, as Macross is sorta aviation related.

Let me know if you're interested and I'll see what I can do.

Hall.248210553_std.jpg

Alright! KuuN KuuuN! Kareoke RSL style!

This is brilliant BlAdE mate thanks so much for your time and interest! This is rad, i honestly love the idea of having it at a R.S.L W/M. :)

Where abouts in Sydney is it? Easy access for the interstates? Not too far to travel from the domestic terminal? :D I guess it's right next to the airport?

Everyone needs to vote on all the deciding factors, so we all get a chance to submit and feel happy with a group decision on location

and more importantly the comfortable dates set. Sure we didn't have a vote on the cinema for mac aus con 09' but that was already set up before the con was official.

But this is a GREAT start! Thanks BlAdE and without meaning to make it look like your a new fan welcome to the forums and hope to see you at Mac Aus Con 2010'!

Please keep the ideas coming guys. :) As it's mentioned and on mac aus con twitter (ho ho ho) there is calls for it to be held around the same time.

But we got a good month before i want to have it finalisied, so lets discuss and vote! :) Location will be included in the poll vote,

whilst in the end Mac Aus Con Board members get to call it.

If you anyone would like to be on the board, you can PM me, and we'll see how it goes from there, at the moment there is two positions vacant. '7' members is the limit.

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

art exhibition hmm, I guess i can get my canvas's out and paint some new macross pictures to show,im also got a sizable collection now that i have been thinking of taking some pictures of and possibly bringing it for MacAusCon 2010, since i couldnt attend this years im comin for next years. Venue should be some place with bit of room to move,that RSL area from Blade looks awesome,something like that would be cool. maybe a big overhead banner or flag. I'll post any ideas i think of when it comes to mind.

Hey All,

No worries and you're very welcome! I've been a fan of Macross since 1986 when I first was given a VHS of it from the local VideoEzy and grew up watching all series as I grew up. It's shaped my life a lot and what gave me the strive to fly myself. To give something to a Local Macross community is a pleasure.

As for the location it's in the suburb of Hornsby, north of the main Sydney Central Business District (CBD). So sadly not near the civilian domestic Airport. However very easy to access as Hornsby is a major North Shore hub, so you can catch a train from the Airport to Hornsby. By train or car it will take 45mins to an hour from the Air port. (Train ticket from the airport is expensive compared to the rest of the Rail network sadly at around $25, but beats a $100+ buck Taxi which are expensive in Sydney)

There are local hotels as well for accomodation in order of price and space:

Hornsby Railway Hotel (Walking distance, budget pub style accomodation): http://www.hornsbyrailwayhotel.com.au/

Hornsby Inn (Walking distance, Motel/Inn style accomodation): http://www.hornsbyinn.com.au/content/home

Hotel Ibis Thornleigh (2 min drive, my recommendation if you're not on a tight budget): http://www.accorhotels.com/gb/hotel-3238-i...igh/index.shtml

As for the technicalities, I'll need to know 2 things.

1. With the previous Con, did you hold public liability insurance for it? or it wasn't required for the venue you used? If so, we'll need it this time around. (I can sort this out if need be)

2. How many went to the previous Con as it would give a good indication of numbers, as different numbers would indicate a different rate for the day for the hall. (don't worry about payment, I'll sort this out between myself, squadron and R.S.L. sub branch, just need estmated numbers attending i.e. less than 100, less than 200, or full 500.)

As for the technicalities, I'll need to know 2 things.

1. With the previous Con, did you hold public liability insurance for it? or it wasn't required for the venue you used? If so, we'll need it this time around. (I can sort this out if need be)

2. How many went to the previous Con as it would give a good indication of numbers, as different numbers would indicate a different rate for the day for the hall. (don't worry about payment, I'll sort this out between myself, squadron and R.S.L. sub branch, just need estmated numbers attending i.e. less than 100, less than 200, or full 500.)

Thanks BlAdE mate again for your help!

It was held at the Regent Theartrette (break off Birch Carrol & Coyle Cinemas) so that was all covered. :D

The problem with attendence was the massive overhead hanging over us, cinema hire isn't cheap, needing to hire the entire full seat count.

Max seats was 22, we only got uhh... 10 i think with Steve and his missus turing up later in the day to watch Plus.

We shouldn't take this years numbers into account, we had almost around 40 interested in coming, and sadly only several able to afford the first con.

In the end i feel it was a huge success, the way we juggled cinema and dispays worked well.

So with your response this gives everyone options to discuss and which is important to maximize Mac Aus Con's potential.

The favoured idea was a hotel location, where we hire the hotel convention room, and get cheap deals for those interstates including me and numerous others.

We will want a 2 day event i believe, one day just goes WAY too fast LOL.

I was like... is that it? dammn that went fast! Wasn't enough of a good thing imo, but thats the problem with the cinema side of things.

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

art exhibition hmm, I guess i can get my canvas's out and paint some new macross pictures to show,im also got a sizable collection now that i have been thinking of taking some pictures of and possibly bringing it for MacAusCon 2010, since i couldnt attend this years im comin for next years. Venue should be some place with bit of room to move,that RSL area from Blade looks awesome,something like that would be cool. maybe a big overhead banner or flag. I'll post any ideas i think of when it comes to mind.

Sweet as, i'm glad your coming this time round mate! it's going to be a hell of alot better than 09's i can assure everyone of that.

What i meant by "art exhibition" is that we need to treat our displays as such, i'm talking a large room, professionally decorated and arranged

with entrees dotted all around the floor on what i call "display trunks" (probably a better term for it lol) but they jot up from the floor up to shoulder level or just below

and the items dsplayed proudly and easy view for everyone. This is what i want, and i'm gonna get it done for us.

The aim of Mac Aus Con is to keep up with our Japan Conventions and quality. I want us to be noticed and placed on the map every year.

We don't need to aim low, lets aim for the sky!

And Vepariga kick ass, be awesome to see artists of all forms, if you can paint there will be a competition provided and prizes!

With HLJ.com and Overdrive powerhouse sponsors all this can be made possible, inclduing our fast growing local sponsors Mecha Studio Australia and many others.

Kirin Hobby has been there from the start, Ed contributed enormously, our first Mac Aus Con sponsor! :D

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

Ah okay, that makes things easy numbers wise.

If it's only going to be classified as a small "meeting" amoungst our members here or people who register here first, then we don't need public liability insurance and a small surcharge is done instead and no worries! (This would probably be way it'll work)

However if it's open to the public to just walk in, well then different story :/ it'll be claissfied as an "exhibition" and we'll need to get a quote for Public Liability Insurance for the weekend.

*Sigh* gotta love redtape lol.

Edited by BlAdE

redtapelol yeah!

hm we were thinking about making it an exhibition with public walk in, but that needs some thought, thanks mate something i haven't considered.

09' con was unable to have walk in (even though we had a few guys pop in un-announced lol) because of the overhead and ticket costs reserved for those who supported.

But it's been my intention from the start to make sure mac aus con brings in new fans! Should be the sole purpose that.

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

public walkin would be a good way for new attendees to have a look-see and spread the word,but everything will have to be alot tighter,some or most collections would have to be behind glass cases and such,becuase some people like to look with there hands lol, which will be alot harder to set up aswell so..public walk in has its pro's and cons,but somethin to think about i believe.

Yeah public access would be the the major thing to consider.

If no public access then yeah my hall would be easy but if you want public access then we'd need some sort of insurance done and researched into.

And bouncers! :p

Yeah, behind glass for sure, lockable glass displays should be bought by the displayers themselves, to share around costs and for the future displays each year.

I wanted to get a IKEA case, lock an all, not cheap, but beautiful. There was talk of hiring, waste of money imo when we should buy a case each as an investment for our own displays.

if you check out the pics of con 09' you will see how it stretched from one end of the corridor to the other.

I want double the display.

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

I've got one of those Ikea display cabinets, yeah they good and all but prob is they are very heavy! Transporting them are a pain unless there's a designated person who going the transport them for the con via road.

Eventually we would like to alternate cities, this includes Melbourne and Perth, and i'd buy atleast one IKEA or similar and just keep it there and pick it up when i needed it,

instead of sending it down by post, which wouldn't happen lol But yeah, would love to have a professional looking glass cabinet for every con. :D

I've got dreams of '2' cons a year < Summer & Winter Mac Aus Cons >, an was set to announce it this year,

but i've got something cooler in mind, plus we need to grow the support so two cons will be easy to manage.

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

And bouncers! :p

Yeah, behind glass for sure, lockable glass displays should be bought by the displayers themselves, to share around costs and for the future displays each year.

I wanted to get a IKEA case, lock an all, not cheap, but beautiful. There was talk of hiring, waste of money imo when we should buy a case each as an investment for our own displays.

if you check out the pics of con 09' you will see how it stretched from one end of the corridor to the other.

I want double the display.

I don`t think that`s necessary, I`ve been to modelling expos open to the public in Australia before with thousands of people going through and most of the displays were just sat on tables with DO NOT TOUCH signs liberally placed around and a couple of eagle eyed watchers sitting behind the displays. There were a lot of kids there too and there wasn`t any problem. You could maybe put up a barrier rope a foot or so in front of the display tables if you were worried about people getting too close but I really don`t think heavy glass cases are necessary if the hall is already equipped with trestle tables or something. The liability insurers would probably throw in Valkyrie damage by kid insurance for free anyway.

Edited by MilSpex

I don`t think that`s necessary, I`ve been to modelling expos open to the public in Australia before with thousands of people going through and most of the displays were just sat on tables with DO NOT TOUCH signs liberally placed around and a couple of eagle eyed watchers sitting behind the displays. There were a lot of kids there too and there wasn`t any problem. You could maybe put up a barrier rope a foot or so in front of the display tables if you were worried about people getting too close but I really don`t think heavy glass cases are necessary if the hall is already equipped with trestle tables or something. The liability insurers would probably throw in Valkyrie damage by kid insurance for free anyway.

lol i'm not really worried, just having fun.

I don't want it behind ropes, people need to be up close an personal. Appreciate violent works of art.

Guys i think to stop the clutterring of a Mac Aus Con discussion threads we'll keep this thread for you guys only, and i'll reply when something i brought up,

but for my own thoughts i'll just keep it at my twitter Mac Aus Con page i've noted above 1st post. Easier for you guys.

Some people only visit the forum sparotically, and although they should read up all whats been written and discussed they honestly couldn't be stuffed,

so i'll help them out by keeping this thread input down, and just keep it for you members kkkkkk?

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

Hornsby's a great leafy suburb (worked there a lot!), but I think its a bit far away for anyone coming interstate, from a plane, for example.

One of the things I liked about the Brisbane con was that it was right in the heart of Brisbane CBD. I would like to have gone and investigated Brisbane CBD a bit more, considering the small time I had up there. But the idea was right. By putting the con in the centre of the city, you attract more people who might make an extended weekend of it, and put all the facilities close to the con, making it even more attractive, and easy to get to.

Sydney's a great city, full of cool attractions, and getting people to come to the con, not just for the con, but for the city too, is a great added incentive.

My 2 cents!

Edited by PetarB

Yeah it would be nice to get out of Perth for awhile. Pity your beaches aren't as nice :p

But for sure, I'll be there next year.

It would be good if it was placed next to a relevant event so that we can have another reason to stay in Brisbane for the weekend.

Yeah it would be nice to get out of Perth for awhile. Pity your beaches aren't as nice :p

But for sure, I'll be there next year.

It would be good if it was placed next to a relevant event so that we can have another reason to stay in Brisbane for the weekend.

You need another reason to come to Brisbane other than Mac Aus Con??? :blink::blink::ph34r::lol: Crazy perthy! :p

We need to think about whats goin on before the weekends, when the con will be on, coz no way in hell a Supernova

or something similar will take place of a Mac Aus Con, unless they invite us to hold a stand there and that won't happen,

it seems they ask quite alot, plus they got nothing on what we can put together, they should invite us for free to draw people in! :p

Weekends should be reserved for Mac Aus Con, and anything on the friday or leading towards the weekend will be a bonus. :p

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

Hornsby's a great leafy suburb (worked there a lot!), but I think its a bit far away for anyone coming interstate, from a plane, for example.

One of the things I liked about the Brisbane con was that it was right in the heart of Brisbane CBD. I would like to have gone and investigated Brisbane CBD a bit more, considering the small time I had up there. But the idea was right. By putting the con in the centre of the city, you attract more people who might make an extended weekend of it, and put all the facilities close to the con, making it even more attractive, and easy to get to.

Sydney's a great city, full of cool attractions, and getting people to come to the con, not just for the con, but for the city too, is a great added incentive.

My 2 cents!

Good words from the Pete man! Exactly right, there was the option of a cinema around chermside, but not only was it too expensive, but

it was also too far out of our way. 09's location was perfect. :) Just wish we had more time, it went too fast, but that won't happen next year, no cinema! :)

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

I like the idea of sydney for the next one, that way i can tag the weekend over there with a meet the new in laws event :)

i'll have only met my new wife's (well wife in october) family on my wedding day so that would make it easier to convince my other half of letting me go!

I would love to see a 2 day Mac Aus Con on the Gold Coast. You can catch a plane to Coolongatta (spelling) airport from interstate. There are so many affordable hotels on the Gold Coast and there are many places to hold the con there. There are many good hotels that cater for functions that are world class and the Gold Coast seems a great place to hold the event. You can also use the train to get to the Gold Coast from Brisbane. If you can have Mac Aus Con in the same place you intend to stay without leaving for the night is a better way to conduct a convention. The Gold Coast is a great place to go out in the evening after spending a day held up in a venue. I know I can bring a lot more stuff to display next time if we hold the con on the Gold Coast.

I'm with Shazam on this one, as I have talked to some of you about. I think the Gold Coast would be a great place to get a venue for the next con, as it has a lot to offer apart from the con itself. Being so close to all major attractions to would give some members a chance not only to come to the con but perhaps have a holiday aswell. There is a lot of great venues that can cater for our convention, as well an airport and train for those wishing to use public transport.

Also holding it on the coast gives a great chance to have a good time at night and an after party or dinner on the Saturday night if the con is over two days, plus we should be able to get great hotel deals for those who wish to stay for the convention. I really think that the Gold Coast would be a much better venue than Brisbane IMO.

lol you don't need to ask me twice to move it to the GC! :D LOVE SURFERS!

All we need is for members to put the heat on and then we can be happy with the majority vote. :D

Only thing that sucks with the GC is that from Rocky airport i can't fly there straight, but i don't care, i'll air train it! :p

Plus they have Draculas.......

So it'll be in Summer, those beaches need macross fans.

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

I still think it should stay around May maybe April as then you would get better deals as it's moving into the off season. Plus it's still warm so you can enjoy the surf, but not as packed with people as in summer, also summer moves it close to Christmas and that will complecate things for people.

G'day folks. I've just discovered this thread and I just wanted to say hello and it's kinda nice to know there are some (real) local Macross fans.

I've only recently re-discovered Macross, (having been brought up with Robotech) and have been steadily collecting the Yamato 1/60 scale Valks and some Destroids.

2944138081_5d392a9bca_m.jpg

and the Revoltech Yamaguchi's from Kaiyodo

3052537694_7607c7c24f_m.jpg

Photos of my collection need some updating (with my VF-1D, VF-11B, VF-1A's others that are on pre-order...) but you can see my collection here on Flickr.

If MAC AUS CON 2010 is Sydney I'll definitely drop by and say hello - especially if that 1/2000 SDF-1 has been produced.

All the best with your planning in the meantime.

Nice one Joz! Glad you found Mac Aus Con! :) So we hope you'll make it for next years con! Yes that's my hope, that the 1/2000 will be there, i've got mine reserved.

Ahh, we all started out on the english adaption of Macross mate, good memories! :D

It's not cement that it will be in QLD, but the amount of members there points to a majority vote how it should be voted upon.

I'll give every state/territory the cance to voice their opinion, so if there is going to be a Sydney Con then there better be a mass member show on the forums

here, so alls fair! :D Besides, this year will only have air fares involved, with hopefully minor entrance fee for hotoel room booking costs.

Overheads will be a dream for us next year.

Can i give out our 1st awesome news Overdrive will be helping out with Mac Aus Con 2010'?! :D :D :D:) OVERDRIVE RULE!

The way they help out is by making sure we can gain access to extreme exclusives! (for example, 700 - 1000 pcs limited exclusives)

Promise you this there will be a heap of extra rare goodies on display! Not to mention the awesme masterpieces by our modelers, wow! :)

I've been in between jobs for the last week, so i'll be busy most of next week, but i'm keeping good contact with our awesome sponsors, and good friends. :)

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

I still think it should stay around May maybe April as then you would get better deals as it's moving into the off season. Plus it's still warm so you can enjoy the surf, but not as packed with people as in summer, also summer moves it close to Christmas and that will complecate things for people.

Yeah mate April would be even better! Early May would be nice as well! :D

I saw my first ever glimpse as a younin of Macross in GOLD COAST, so i'll throw my vote there as well.

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie