Skull Squadron

I don't agree with this assumption. Yes, the DYRL we know and love was apparently moved into the official time line as a movie within the Macross world, but Kawamori's statement was that the "true" events of Space War 1 are "somewhere between DYRL and SDF:M." Making DYRL a movie within the series does not invalidate that statement at all.

Its the same situation as Star Trek's Klingons. Before they didn't have head ridges then in the movies they do. Gene Rodenberry would have us believe they always looked like that.

Shouji Kawamori liked the DYRL visualization so much that he replaced TV mecha with movie mecha. e.g. Queadluun-Rau, Nousjadeul-Ger, VF-1...

Fixed.

Officially, that view was invalidated after Plus and 7 came out, and DYRL was retocnned into a movie within a movie.

Unofficially, I think his words still stand... :wacko:

I always thought the Kawamori interview (where he said the real Macross was somewhere between the TV series and the real world 1984 DYRL) was made during an event promoting Macross Plus in the US that happened in an anime convention in the mid 90s...

Also... I think somebody in this boards recently posted from Kawamori himself that the in-universe DYRL is not the same real world 1984 DYRL... (just like the in-universe Macross Zero movie from Frontier is not the same real world Macross Zero OVA).

Edited by Kronnang Dunn

I always thought the Kawamori interview (where he said the real Macross was somewhere between the TV series and the real world 1984 DYRL) was made during an event promoting Macross Plus in the US that happened in an anime convention in the mid 90s...

I'm pretty sure it was from Animag in the late '80s.