The making of a 1/72 Tacticar Pod Graug--the musical!

captain america

Dear Sweet Bacon-Jesus.... There are a lot of parts... This is a seriously impressive kit, I now understand what you were talking about when you were showing the molds. How you cast thousands of them is beyond me, nice work!!!

Told ya so! :lol:

Believe it or not, the sequence in which I poured the parts was critical too, since resin, over the course of its pot life, tends to increase in viscosity: if I were to take the same exact molds, and pour the resin in reverse sequence, the resin would glop-up before I could pour them all. Crazy...

Received mine on saturday. My god! My dog has smaller legs than the Glaug! :o

Beautiful work John! But I'll build it only after the other Regults. I'ts the strawberry of the cake! :D

Received mine on saturday. My god! My dog has smaller legs than the Glaug! :o

Beautiful work John! But I'll build it only after the other Regults. I'ts the strawberry of the cake! :D

Got mine this afternoon. Wow. In linear dimensions it's only, what, 1.3 times the size of the old Arii kit? But in volume, that adds up to a lot!

It's bloody stunning. I'll be in my bunk. :D

Got mine this afternoon. Wow. In linear dimensions it's only, what, 1.3 times the size of the old Arii kit? But in volume, that adds up to a lot!

It's bloody stunning. I'll be in my bunk. :D

LOL

LOL

Spent the weekend clearing up my shed now that it's a workable temperature out there, and got the modelling desks cleared off last night. So I started trimming up my Glaug parts. Anyone else started theirs? What are people doing for decals? I have a Corel cleanup of the old decal sheet on the go, if anyone's interested. (I know there are others out there but I wanted the Zentran script to be a little more solid/bold.)

Try http://samueldecal.com/ I'd bought their decal, it's printed on a whole sheet of clear decal paper. You'll have to cut out the decal yourself.

Spent the weekend clearing up my shed now that it's a workable temperature out there, and got the modelling desks cleared off last night. So I started trimming up my Glaug parts. Anyone else started theirs? What are people doing for decals? I have a Corel cleanup of the old decal sheet on the go, if anyone's interested. (I know there are others out there but I wanted the Zentran script to be a little more solid/bold.)

post-7569-1254976374_thumb.jpg

post-7569-1254976385_thumb.jpg

Yeap, it should be scaled to the plastic kit. The website have the dimension of the decal sheet. You can enlarge the pic and see what it look like.

Ah, thanks. Unfortunately (no! fortunately!!) this thing is MUCH bigger - where the old kit's cockpit is one handful, this is two handfuls. You could probably get away with it, but I think I'll try printing my own set. More than half done now anyway.

Ah, thanks. Unfortunately (no! fortunately!!) this thing is MUCH bigger - where the old kit's cockpit is one handful, this is two handfuls. You could probably get away with it, but I think I'll try printing my own set. More than half done now anyway.

<_< I got John's Glaug too :p

For what it's worth, and depending on if I can find someone to do the printing, I'd contemplated offering a set of decals formy 1/72 Graug; I had already done most of the artwork from scratch for the Regults anyway, and certain symbols will carry-over.

The only reason they weren't done and included in the kit is that the project already went into cost-overrun.

Edited by captain america

<_< I got John's Glaug too :p

Oh yeh! .... So why'd you suggest it then, huh? Huh? Eh? Huh? Eh? :)

My old Arii decal sheet is history, long ago, so I can't compare the decals up close to the model. How's it look? I'd been assuming they'll be noticeably too small, but if not...

John, no drama. Frankly, it's just so gorgeous that decals are almost the last thing on my mind, and I'm sure I'm not alone in thinking that way. Lots more trimming tonight - really enjoyable. Will break out my drill tomorrow night and get it posable, assuming I'm not comatose (having a test in hospital and they're gonna sedate me).

Thanks. That doesn't look bad, but I assume it's scaled to the old Arii kit?

Samuel can/will rescale decals for you. You just have to let him know the size. He rescaled to 1/100 on a few sets for me earlier this year.

Good guy, good price.

• 4 weeks later...

man... I missed the scout, the Kamjin, the Graug and not it may also miss the re-issued Regult. :( This is truly a bummer of a Halloween.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

I will keep it at or slightly below the original price, part of it will depend on how much each decal sheet costs. I have about 95% of the mold making done at this point. The molds will need a handful of days to post cure and then I will get test casting. Right now the kit will be almost exactly like the Captains, with the exception that the acrylic pins will be replaced with either brass or aluminum pins, the acrylic pins tend to be brittle. The other change is that there will be 2 less part cast in the HDP resin, the main foot attachment point is beefy enough to be just regular resin IMO. I will likely start a separate round 2 thread soon.

thanks

mike

Edited by mslz22

Ok, i am doing test cast today and the decals are ready to print and should be on the way to me in a day or so for my reissue. If you are interested in a reissue casting PM me for info.

If you are interested in decals for your original CA kit you can get them direct by emailing info@jt-graphics.com, be sure to tell him that it's for the 1/72 kit. He will get you pricing and info on when they can ship.

thanks

mike

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...