The making of a 1/72 Tacticar Pod Graug--the musical!

captain america

It's not wood, it's Renshape which is an epoxy based modeling board. It does look a bit like wood though, until you begin to machine it. It hold detail amazingly well.

Beautiful work, Cap'n!

Epoxy based? I thought it was high-density urethane foam??

Edited by Kremmen

You are correct. It is! I am working with some epoxy products at the moment, and had them on the brain. :wacko:

I was kinda hoping you were right, an easily cut and worked epoxy-based product would be interesting.

Heh. I'm working with high-density urethane foam at the moment. Got it on the brain...in among the roots of my hair...in my socks...all over the floor...EVERYWHERE! It may or may not be Renshape, I got it free so I don't know what brand or density it is. It's not as HD as Capt's type, for sure.

There are a multitude of different grades of modelling board made my several different firms, last I checked. Some are far easier to carve, some are far denser. My "weapon of choice" is FREEMAN's (formerly Ciba Geigy) Ren Shape 460 and yes, I know EXACTLY what Kremmen is talking about: the dust produced by machining/grinding modelling board gets into absolutely everything. It also clogs-up shop-vac filters like nothing I've ever seen; likely due to the fact that the dust is super-fine. I now wear a particle mask religiously when I work on it.

There are a multitude of different grades of modelling board made my several different firms, last I checked. Some are far easier to carve, some are far denser. My "weapon of choice" is FREEMAN's (formerly Ciba Geigy) Ren Shape 460 and yes, I know EXACTLY what Kremmen is talking about: the dust produced by machining/grinding modelling board gets into absolutely everything. It also clogs-up shop-vac filters like nothing I've ever seen; likely due to the fact that the dust is super-fine. I now wear a particle mask religiously when I work on it.

I've read that dusts which are even visible are still too coarse to get into the alveoli of your lungs, which is reassuring, but it's still wise to wear a mask. I have a beard, and have trouble finding masks that cope with it at all well. It's not even a big beard, but it's tough! Thankfully the MSDS's for urethane board aren't particularly scary. I'll die of solvent inhalation before anything else gets me...

Looking awesome as always Capn'! I think I'm going to try some of that modeling board one of these days. Styrene just doesn't come in the sizes needed for some sculpts and gluing always leave seam marks no matter what you try. Keep up the awesome work! - MT

Have you ever considered putting a digital camera in your workshop and making how-to videos for us audience-types? While my mechanical skills are far too anemic to come close to copying you, just watching something come from nothing would be a real treat.

There were already a lot of people putting "how to-" videos ion YouTube. I saw someone machining a Reshape tooling board.

Have you ever considered putting a digital camera in your workshop and making how-to videos for us audience-types? While my mechanical skills are far too anemic to come close to copying you, just watching something come from nothing would be a real treat.

The thought of being filmed constantly would drive me bonkers, and besides, there's nothing that I do in my workshop that other people out there haven't already done 10 times better than me; just do a search on Youtube.

MechTech: I don't know how you put up with trying to sculpt styrene. Back when I was getting my feet wet with scratchbuilding, I used to CA glue a whole bunch of styrene sheets together to form a crude block and try to dremel it; most of the time all I got was a big phat mess and high on the styrene fumes. It's an awesome material, but not when it comes to sculpting :lol:

I know this isn't the place for it but my post in the interest thread didn't get a response. Second (and last) try:

John, can I still get in? At least, if any places open up in the queue, please keep me in mind. I've been waiting KEENLY for this for months but chose the wrong time to change over to broadband - meant several weeks without a phone line at all (third world telecommunications out here). I didn't anticipate such a brief opening period.

All my fault, and I understand your approach to QA, but seriously, your seconds would be better than most people's A1 stuff. I'd be more than happy to take a casting with a few bubbles or silicone tears showing. (I'm currently puttying up details on a Randy Cooper Star Destroyer...trust me, a few flaws aren't a problem for me!!) And Glaug is one of my grails.

OK, don't want to be a pain. I'll shut up about this now.

I know this isn't the place for it but my post in the interest thread didn't get a response. Second (and last) try:

John, can I still get in? At least, if any places open up in the queue, please keep me in mind. I've been waiting KEENLY for this for months but chose the wrong time to change over to broadband - meant several weeks without a phone line at all (third world telecommunications out here). I didn't anticipate such a brief opening period.

All my fault, and I understand your approach to QA, but seriously, your seconds would be better than most people's A1 stuff. I'd be more than happy to take a casting with a few bubbles or silicone tears showing. (I'm currently puttying up details on a Randy Cooper Star Destroyer...trust me, a few flaws aren't a problem for me!!) And Glaug is one of my grails.

OK, don't want to be a pain. I'll shut up about this now.

For the time being, I've capped the number to 20 until I can verify with a fair degree of certainty that my molds will allow me to make more. To be honest, I hope they do, as the falling US Dollar (or is it the rising Canuck?)might cause the project to fall ever-so-slightly into the red.

Oh, while I'm at it, the next update will likely be rather spartan, as I'm gutting the pod and working on the cockpit, which is meticulous and VERY slow going.

Filming yourself while you work? Instead of the show "Big Brother," it would be "Big Sculptor." Just doesn't sound as good.

I still do glue small blocks of styrene up. I just use CA to cut bacl on the fumes and set it to the side. It's not too bad after that, but does glob up with the heat of friction. That's the annoying part! - MT

Cheers John, I'll wait and see then.

MechTech, that is a horribly painful method compared to Renshape or similar. When you were a kid, did you carve stuff out of balsa, but were never happy because it was always impossible to get rid of the grain? Well, this is like carving and sanding medium-density balsa but with zero grain and a nice smooth surface. If you want I can send you some bits and pieces of 1" board I have lying around, just offcuts but enough to get an idea of what the stuff is like. It's not the seriously high-density stuff Capt. is using, but it might still change your world.

Cheers John, I'll wait and see then.

MechTech, that is a horribly painful method compared to Renshape or similar. When you were a kid, did you carve stuff out of balsa, but were never happy because it was always impossible to get rid of the grain? Well, this is like carving and sanding medium-density balsa but with zero grain and a nice smooth surface. If you want I can send you some bits and pieces of 1" board I have lying around, just offcuts but enough to get an idea of what the stuff is like. It's not the seriously high-density stuff Capt. is using, but it might still change your world.

I just start using Renshape but still using styrene and PVC for the sculpts. I was able to locate the local supplier here and am very impressed with Renshape.

I just start using Renshape but still using styrene and PVC for the sculpts. I was able to locate the local supplier here and am very impressed with Renshape.

Renshape is the bomb. Had a go on the stuff years ago where I used to work, they used it for Prototyping tooling as it was easy to mill etc, then once they were happy they'd make it from metal and high desity board.

Am I the only one who checks the model section with a little fear because it's been a few days, given his track record of insanely awesome fast work, seeing a post from the captain that looks something like:

It's done!

[image picture of awesome]

Send money, kthxbye

Hi folks!

In spite of the rumors that may be circulating, I'm not dead, or even anywhere near finished! I had wanted to offer a mini-update last week, but I felt that it would be more productive to merely soldier-along until I had a bit more stuff to show.

It might not appear as though I've made a lot of progress just from looking at the photos, but I can assure you that I've had my nose to the grindstone the whole time: one of the very laborious, time-consuming and at times frustrating tasks involves repairing Bondo-ed sections, which tends to form tiny air bubbles as you mix and spread it, and those bubbles then appear as voids once you start sanding, and are devilish to repair and fill. Alas, on with the show!

Pic 1: the main pod has undergone some substantial refinement since the last update. It now has a semi-finished inner hull lining, and I have strategically hollowed-out key sections to save weight.

Pics 2 and 3: once thew basics of the inner hull were set, I was able to start test-fitting the Quamzin figure and make the appropriate alterations.

Pic 4: The pod seen from the back. Notice the crotch part: you'll see the acrylic rods that I've opted to use as structural inserts: being plastic in nature, these will bond more effectively with the resin and allow for an exceptionally-sturdy model.

post-632-1245442504_thumb.jpg

post-632-1245442515_thumb.jpg

post-632-1245442524_thumb.jpg

post-632-1245442755_thumb.jpg

Edited by captain america

Pics 5 and 6: A clearer view of Quamzin, being fitted for his "office." Missing hands and feet aside, notice anything unusual in these pics?

Pic 7: More test-fitting. The cockpit hatch will need some custom-fitting to acheive a proper seal.

Pic 8: Aft view of the Royquommi reactor's basic nozzle; it will receive considerably more detail later.

post-632-1245442797_thumb.jpg

post-632-1245442806_thumb.jpg

post-632-1245442815_thumb.jpg

post-632-1245442826_thumb.jpg

Pic 9: Remember the ball-part of the foo from previous updates? It has since undergone much refining. The cantilever-style design will allow it to be partially hollowed-out and still maintain its strength.

Pic 10: The basic foot parts. This is one area where the style-sheet diagrams didn't line up, so I'll need to do a lot of puttying to reshape the toes.

Pic 11: Speaking of putty, here it is at work! An aerosol mold release was applied to the hull parts, and then Bondo was slapped-on rather generously and then I smushed the shoulder armor into place and let it harden. It may look like a mess now, but with a bit of carving and sanding...

It looks like what you see in pic 12.

I haven't bothered with beauty shots for this update, since many of the key parts are in various states of completion. There are actually far more finished parts than I'm showing; they merely have yet to be fitted together. The good news is that aside from the arm cannons, most of the big structural parts are done, and you'll all have a substantially better view of things for the next update.

Until then, please feel free to ask questions/post comments/hatemail :)

post-632-1245442887_thumb.jpg

post-632-1245442898_thumb.jpg

post-632-1245442908_thumb.jpg

post-632-1245442917_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the update.

What are we supposed to be noticing?

The only thing that looks a little odd to me is that in the cockpit shots, Quamzin's knees seem to be where his hips would be located.

The only thing that looks a little odd to me is that in the cockpit shots, Quamzin's knees seem to be where his hips would be located.

Interesting answer, but that's not quite it. In fact, the way his boots are designed, the knee-guard rides very high up the thigh. The knees are actually where they should be.

Look at the pics carefully. Tell me if anything looks odd. If no one gets it, I'll divulge the answer later.

He's missing his groin armor, and belly armor and whole lower torso/lap are different. He's also missing the inner shoulder portions of his upper arm parts.

Edited by AcroRay

Hey, Captain, I'm trying to follow some of your construction techniques - you mentioned you put on spray release before the bondo... is this so the whole bondo area could 'release' off the surface easily for dissassembly?

Hey, Captain, I'm trying to follow some of your construction techniques - you mentioned you put on spray release before the bondo... is this so the whole bondo area could 'release' off the surface easily for dissassembly?

Correct. You also have to time the removal of the bondo very carefully. If you pull it up too quickly, it won't have hardened enough and will break-up. If you wait too long, mold release or not, it will bite into the surface and get stuck.

Oh, as for the deal with the Quamzin cockpit pics, here's the bitty: I had to resort to some "anime magic" to get him to fit in the tub... By grinding-off most of his back, butt and thighs! No one noticed the foreshortening, even with the top off, leading me to conclude that my little forced-perspective project was successful ^_^

post-632-1245448046_thumb.jpg

post-632-1245448057_thumb.jpg

Correct. You also have to time the removal of the bondo very carefully. If you pull it up too quickly, it won't have hardened enough and will break-up. If you wait too long, mold release or not, it will bite into the surface and get stuck.

Oh, as for the deal with the Quamzin cockpit pics, here's the bitty: I had to resort to some "anime magic" to get him to fit in the tub... By grinding-off most of his back, butt and thighs! No one noticed the foreshortening, even with the top off, leading me to conclude that my little forced-perspective project was successful ^_^

LOL, I was going to say that the unusual thinng was that there is a complete full body pilot in there, instead of the customary "halfie" amputee that most models get. I guess that would have been an incorrect observation :p

Thanks for the update, looks awesome so far!

Great update!!!!

Hope the molds allow you to produce more kits 'cause I was late to the party :(

One question John, ¿when you finish sculpting a piece of a model, what do you do to get the "smooth finish"? ¿You use very fine sand paper, you paint it with primer?

Thanks again for posting the progress and how to!!!

Great update!!!!

Hope the molds allow you to produce more kits 'cause I was late to the party :(

One question John, ¿when you finish sculpting a piece of a model, what do you do to get the "smooth finish"? ¿You use very fine sand paper, you paint it with primer?

Thanks again for posting the progress and how to!!!

I go from the 100-grit sandpaper that I use for shaping, to 320-grit wet-sanding to get a smooth finish. I then follow-up with a coat or two of primer to seal the modelling board. Depending on the texture I want, I sometimes give a light brushing of 600-grit over the primer.