Hope for the die hard original Macross fan...

bzdup

If they revisit the original SDF Macross..i would say no continuation of the original  characters...a new story aboard the Megaroad or a retelling of the original series with new animation and mostly keep the original dialogue intact.

This has to be the mother of all the necrobumps. 2009!

Just to add my 2cents, I seriously doubt Kawamori ever does a sequel. The man likes doing new stuff and be unencumbered by things like canon and continuity. Additionally, there's still some Delta to be done before he does any other kind of Macross related stuff.

• 3 weeks later...

The VF-1 is the best selling Valkyrie figure , it would be crazy not to ever set a story in the original era from a business standpoint. If not a sequel or a reboot, I hope for a story from characters who were behind the scenes , ala Rogue One. Macross Zero was similar but a story on the Macross during Space War 1 would be cooler.  There must be a few other squadrons and destroids they could make the story about. Then have Roy Focker or Minmay make a cameo. The Old school UN spacy logo needs to be back , The NUNS or SMS logo is not iconic enough and doesn't scream MACROSS!

2 hours ago, Skull-wan said:

The VF-1 is the best selling Valkyrie figure , it would be crazy not to ever set a story in the original era from a business standpoint. If not a sequel or a reboot, I hope for a story from characters who were behind the scenes , ala Rogue One. Macross Zero was similar but a story on the Macross during Space War 1 would be cooler.  There must be a few other squadrons and destroids they could make the story about. Then have Roy Focker or Minmay make a cameo. The Old school UN spacy logo needs to be back , The NUNS or SMS logo is not iconic enough and doesn't scream MACROSS!

The fact that the VF-1 has sold so well over so many years may also mean that many (Kawamori included) would rather see something new instead of a re-tread. Even Zero (which I believe was the only time the franchise didn’t move forward in time but backwards) didn’t use the VF-1 even though they arguably could have. Newer series have also included elements to appeal to the old-school fan, like episode 12 in Frontier or the VF-1EX in Delta.

Still, though, I see what you mean, and would enjoy it if they could find a way to look backwards for a change instead of forwards. I’ve heard suggestions of animating Macross the First, which would be cool, though it’d have to be with a new voice cast at this point.

You either put S grade quality material behind anything marking the original characters' return or for the sake of everyone's childhood keep them in that black hole they are stuck in until you are ready to take it seriously.  Pay Lady M a fortune not to rescue them if you have to.

chunky monkey rick.jpg

8 hours ago, Einherjar said:

You either put S grade quality material behind anything marking the original characters' return or for the sake of everyone's childhood keep them in that black hole they are stuck in until you are ready to take it seriously.  Pay Lady M a fortune not to rescue them if you have to.

chunky monkey rick.jpg

23 minutes ago, Bolt said:

Ugh man..

Let's be honest, he makes an exceptionally good point... the R-word Series That Must Not Be Named is a textbook example of why you DO NOT keep bringing back your original cast once their story arc is over.  It inevitably becomes a shameful mess.  The Star Wars sequel trilogy (especially The Last Jedi), Star Trek: Picard, and Blade Runner 2049 are all also recent excellent examples of why it's better to let your heros go when their story is over and move on instead of dragging them back for more after they've had their closure.

Kawamori is a wise man to insist that he will not bring them back, and the aforementioned examples amply demonstrate the wisdom of his decision.

• 1 month later...

I haven't changed my opinion in 10 years. I want a shot for shot remake of the original TV show, but with DYRL refinement technical detail and far better animation. Nobody would know the audio is over 30 years old. I think a whole new generation would love it. Love that MW is still here.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/23/2020 at 5:22 PM, Agent ONE said:

I haven't changed my opinion in 10 years. I want a shot for shot remake of the original TV show, but with DYRL refinement technical detail and far better animation. Nobody would know the audio is over 30 years old. I think a whole new generation would love it. Love that MW is still here.

I wonder what the numbers on that idea are?

Voice-lines/Dub/Subs: already done

Story-boarding/development: done

Character/Mecha designs: done

Merchandising: already an ongoing thing [particularly if they don't muck-about with the designs/paint-schemes]

... that's what, 20-40% of the time/money/energy that goes into making a series already out-of-the-way?

Edited by slide

3 hours ago, slide said:

I wonder what the numbers on that idea are?

Voice-lines/Dub/Subs: already done

Story-boarding/development: done

Character/Mecha designs: done

Merchandising: already an ongoing thing [particularly if they don't muck-about with the designs/paint-schemes]

... that's what, 20-40% of the time/money/energy that goes into making a series already out-of-the-way?

Eh... nah, most of that stuff wouldn't be "done" if you're talking a higher-quality remake of the original show, even if it's shot-for-shot.

Higher quality modern animation means the production committee and studio are going to want to modernize the character, mechanical, background, and prop designs to make it look more appealing to modern audiences.  Likewise, they're going to want to either re-record the original BGM in higher fidelity or outright replace it with new arrangements of those songs more suited to modern tastes.  Minmay's songs would likely get the same treatment, either re-recorded with new arrangements or at least re-mixed to sound more modern.  They'd also likely subject the original dialog tracks to another round of remastering and digital cleanup to bring them up to modern standards too. 

The refined designs would mean new, more detailed designs for model kits, toys, statues, etc. so the merchandising would have to update.

That said, I doubt anyone would approve a shot-for-shot remake... they'd want to throw in continuity nods and so on, like when Zero was re-released and they digitally added Sheryl's earrings to a scene or two to connect it up to Frontier.  

On 7/11/2020 at 6:14 PM, Seto Kaiba said:

That said, I doubt anyone would approve a shot-for-shot remake... they'd want to throw in continuity nods and so on, like when Zero was re-released and they digitally added Sheryl's earrings to a scene or two to connect it up to Frontier.  

Maybe updating the visual design with DYRL ones? Little changes like in The First are cool, but even with new animation, less repeating/recycling animation and updated designs, a shot-for-shot remake will be spot on for the fans.

On 6/23/2020 at 3:22 PM, Agent ONE said:

Good to see you're still around too.  Do you still have God-like powers?  

2 hours ago, Focslain said:

Honestly if they were to redo the original SDFM we're looking at something like Yamato 2199 or LoGH: DNT which would require a lot work, but would be worth it.

BigWest has now the full control of the IP on China...  only that is a HUGE market to sell toys and collectibles for a remake. If they win over Europe too, better so.

3 hours ago, Gerli said:

BigWest has now the full control of the IP on China...  only that is a HUGE market to sell toys and collectibles for a remake. If they win over Europe too, better so.

I just hope they one day get full custody of Macross, just because that will make distribution a bit easier.

On 6/23/2020 at 3:22 PM, Agent ONE said:

Hi guys. Good to see you all still hanging around this great forum. We're all a lot older now but I'm glad to see it appears our love for Macross hasn't waned one bit.  It certain;y hasn't for me. Anyway just wanted to say I wholeheartedly agree with Agent One.  A full blown remake with the updates described above would be bonkers. Do it Kawamori-san!!

13 hours ago, isamu said:

Hi guys. Good to see you all still hanging around this great forum. We're all a lot older now but I'm glad to see it appears our love for Macross hasn't waned one bit.  It certain;y hasn't for me. Anyway just wanted to say I wholeheartedly agree with Agent One.  A full blown remake with the updates described above would be bonkers. Do it Kawamori-san!!

Yeah, I remember when I first signed up for Macross World in like, 2001 or something.  I was led here by Kevin Lam's pre-order, in his "Valkyrie Exchange" webstore, for the Yamato 1/72 'Plus Variable Fighters.  I remember being ecstatic because no one, and I mean NO ONE around me was into anime, let alone Macross, so when I found a community full of like-minded fanbois I was happy.  I think I remember my first thread too, entitled "Falling Fins," wherein I talked about the loose fins on my Yamato YF-21 and what to do about it.  Man how time flies.

Anyway, the idea of Kawamori re-doing original Macross depends mostly on what he feels about it.  Is original Macross still a prevalent thing with him, or has he relegated that particular piece of work of his in the past?  Has he ever commented on his feelings about original Macross recently?  

We old timers should get a special thread or a section of the boards or something; talk about what's happened to us and our toy habits over the last twenty or so years, lol...

Just redoing the animation for the original series would be fantastic! Maybe toss the Robotech them song in there, but they could certainly freshen up the soundtrack around the dialogue. The original animation certainly hasn't stood up well over time.

As for a continuation of the original character, I would love for them to show what happened to the Megaroad. Hikaru and Misa (Rick and Lisa) are the characters I started with and I'd like to see it resolved. Yes, in DYRL they went off to space which was a good ending for them, voyaging out to the stars, but then to say they just disappeared opened it right up again. Add to that there were the hints and teases in Frontier, which leads one to think they had been planning something of a continuation. At the time anyway.

But yes, I would like it they moved away from love triangles. Just a straight romance in among the action where there is no 'do you or don't you like her, or her' would be refreshing. ;)

Edited by Thom

17 hours ago, Thom said:

Add to that there were the hints and teases in Frontier, which leads one to think they had been planning something of a continuation. At the time anyway.

Honestly I don't think that Bilrer/Minmay thread was a hope for bringing the characters back. But more of a show that those so focused on something can do both great and terrible things. 

It gave Bilrer a goal that was impossible, but he accomplished so much trying you have to ask:

What's more important, the journey or the destination?

7 hours ago, Focslain said:

Honestly I don't think that Bilrer/Minmay thread was a hope for bringing the characters back. But more of a show that those so focused on something can do both great and terrible things. 

It gave Bilrer a goal that was impossible, but he accomplished so much trying you have to ask:

What's more important, the journey or the destination?

Oh, destination, definitely! The journey could be nice too. Sarcasm aside, they are little tifbits that I would really like answered. Again, if they had never mentioned the Megaroad again after DYRL I would have been content. But they say that it just vanished, well then that's like saying it flew into the Bermuda Triangle an never came out. Now I want to know!:D

2 hours ago, Thom said:

Oh, destination, definitely! The journey could be nice too. Sarcasm aside, they are little tifbits that I would really like answered. Again, if they had never mentioned the Megaroad again after DYRL I would have been content. But they say that it just vanished, well then that's like saying it flew into the Bermuda Triangle an never came out. Now I want to know!:D

But it’s fate was pretty much explained in Delta? ^^;

35 minutes ago, Bolt said:

Hmm. I need to rewatch Delta, again ..

You won't find anything about that in there... lol

All it brings to the table on that note is an unverifiable rumor from a character who spends the entire series jerking people around.:rofl:

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/28/2020 at 6:36 PM, Graham said:

Wow, reviving an 11 yer old thread.

Lol, I thought it was a new thread until until I read my own post from 2009