Macross that you haven't watched but you know you must?

taksraven

Ohhh, the audacity of so-called 'Macross Purists' to align themselves as TRUE BLUE Macross fans, when they discard Macross 7 or even Macross II outta the equation!

The Macross dissenters must be purged from Macross collectives! They must be subjected into re-education camps with mandatory listening to every lines, every lyrics spouted by the GREAT BASARA!

BAH! Me, despite being former RT fan, AM A TRUE BLUE MACROSS DIEHARD NO.1 FAN! Have watched the ENTIRE Macross franchise had to offer, sans Macross F the Movie.

Plus, a TRUE BLUE MACROSS DIEHARD absolutely LURVEEDDDDD Macross 7 & its ilks!

BOMBAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!

Edited by Protoculture

BAH! Me, despite being former RT fan, AM A TRUE BLUE MACROSS DIEHARD NO.1 FAN! Have watched the ENTIRE Macross franchise had to offer, sans Macross F the Movie.

Lazy former RT fan...can't even get your hands on a decent time machine, huh? :p

Lazy former RT fan...can't even get your hands on a decent time machine, huh? :p

What time machine? Unlike you all western gaijins, I'd a headstart by having watched the entire SDFM series even before the 'evil' RT makes its way to my country back in 1980s.

That makes ME a TRUE BLUE MACROSS FAN! I ain't dissing Mac II nor Mac 7, I loved 'em the way they are! Accept all the freaking flaws, absorbed all the Macross awesomeness, that's how a standard Japanese (or hardcore) Macross fans do! Follow the crowd, man!

If some deluded Macross fans continue in veins finding faults with every inch of Macross incarnations, its pretty frakking useless. Each Macross series are targeted specifically for new GENERATION of fans, something that self professed-glorified 'ol Macross coots could never understand, especially those with Western-gaijin mindset.

I on the other hand, accept Macross as what it is, an entertaining & fun anime franchise, have been enjoying 'em immensely for nearly 26 years & counting!

The mass collective Macross fans ruled the market demand of the franchise! Follow the masses, as the HORY FROATING HEAD commands you!

Edited by Protoculture

I guess I'll come in a say that I don't believe I'm lacking anything in needing to watch.

Although, many people who may have seen Macross 7 may not have seen all the "Macross 7 Plus" omake animation shorts that were slated every 8 or so episodes, unless you've recently downloaded Central Anime's batch, I believe. I don't know if the groups doing the remaster release have been doing them as well.

Back when Macross 7 was released on the net in RealMedia format in 320x240 or so resolution files on Sailor Seven (believe that's what the websites name was), I know they were missing a number of them and I had to dig around the net for some time to find them.

I have not seen Macross 7 or Dynamite 7 or anything 7. I have heard that it sucks Donkeyballs. But I will watch it eventually.

Most people will agree that the first ten-to-fifteen episodes are kind of tough going. I think it gets better as it goes on, although there's a lot of goofiness and filler episodes throughout, and only one or two REALLY good mecha battles.

If you view it as the story of a rock band which just happens to involve some mecha (rather than as a mecha show with lots of music), it makes a lot more sense and is much more enjoyable.

I tried watching 7. But playing the drums/guitar/musical instruments while flying really aggravated me.

You got pretty far if you got to the Valkyrie with the drums. Although, I believe that one was piloted normally, since it was a two-seater, and I doubt Ray was playing anything while piloting. So, you'd really only have a problem with the guitar and bass piloting, which are similar enough to say you had a problem with only one control system.

Presuming the cockpit is spacious enough, the guitar/bass itself could act as a gigantic control yoke. Rudder pedals probably wouldn't change much, and the throttle I'm not certain about. Of course, I'm sure the ridiculousness and complexity of such a system has been debated before, but it's probably possible, but I'm no expert and I haven't taken into account how the Gs on the pilot would affect the utility of such controls. (The anime did, however, state that Basara did do some extensive G training was better than Gamlin at handling them if I'm not mistaken. For Mylene, let's just chalk it up to her bloodline. As for Veffidas playing drums under Ray's special forces piloting, well, she is Zentradi and was able to beat up a number of strong guy Zentradi before joining the band.) If the literature said that Basara and Mylene were playing while using traditional controls, that'd be pretty far off, but I don't think Macross 7 went that far in its implausibility.

That said, I can't believe the introduction of one wacko control system is what made you turn away from Macross 7, unless you're a diehard plane buff, which I presume some members are. Some of the other stuff introduced in the series was a little off kilter, so I'll still give you the benefit of the doubt.

Edited by veffidas

I tried watching 7. But playing the drums/guitar/musical instruments while flying really aggravated me.

don't forget also being in an Gundamesche undestructible valk that no matter what hit you you would not explode while you're singing like an idiot while everyone else around who is fighting for their lifes gets blown up by just blinking, ANIMA SPIRITIAAAA!!!

:wacko::wacko::wacko:

Don't think Macross 7 will ever be forgiven for what it is. A kids show where logic and analysis have no place. Its just a cartoon about a bunch of wacky characters set in the Macross universe. No complicated plot or impressive mecha action, just enjoyable rock music and great character animation and some nice background information on the Macross universe. :rolleyes:

and a secondary character that crashes directly into a protodevlin, does not eject, the entire VF-17 blown apart right from the cockpit, manages to somehow fall to the ground unharmed, survive freezing temperatures and walk who know show many km to exactly the protodevlin hideout and save the day

GAMLIN KICK!!!!!!!!!!!

I've Watched M:Zero, SDFM, DYRL, FB2012, An anniversary edition (its funny at all), M2, M+, Frontier and now I'm watching M7 and everything 7 related (and HOPE someday find it all remastered, I just have the first 24 epsidoes in wonderful quality :'[ )

Am I losting something?

Ps. MAN, Heart and Soul is so farting amazing T.T

and a secondary character that crashes directly into a protodevlin, does not eject, the entire VF-17 blown apart right from the cockpit, manages to somehow fall to the ground unharmed, survive freezing temperatures and walk who know show many km to exactly the protodevlin hideout and save the day

GAMLIN KICK!!!!!!!!!!!

Gamlin is THE MAN I tell you. ^_^

GAMLIN KICK!!!!!!!!!!!

Gamlin is THE MAN I tell you. ^_^

You got pretty far if you got to the Valkyrie with the drums. Although, I believe that one was piloted normally, since it was a two-seater, and I doubt Ray was playing anything while piloting. So, you'd really only have a problem with the guitar and bass piloting, which are similar enough to say you had a problem with only one control system.

They are in fact keyboard and drum control systems. The Macross Chronicle states that while Ray does most of the piloting (with the keytar), the VF-17T can in fact be controlled fully using the drum set interface in the rear seat. Of course, it does not say how. :lol:

So... yeah! Enjoy the hatred! B))

Edited by Renato

Which ones, Encore or D7? Or both? Encore is pretty forgettable, but D7 has some good animation, good mecha, and one of Yoko Kanno's loveliest songs, bar none.

The fact that it's a duet with a space whale does not lessen its impact.

As for FB2012, I first got it back in '87, and it became a good way to get a quick Macross fix when I needed it. I thought it was wonderful and essential.

But then, about seven years ago or so, I finally got the "Special Edition" of DYRL, which of course incorporates a lot of FB2012 footage...

I didn't like it. I think FB2012 should have remained kind of special...but I accept that if you've seen the DYRL Special Edition, FB becomes much less necessary to watch. But I still think it's brilliantly edited, and where else can you see the mysterious symbolism of a clown doll and handcuffs spinning on a record?

Both; I haven't seen both. It's not that i'm boycotting the thing. It's just that I haven't gotten around to getting a copy of the OAVs, and i'm not in a particular hurry to get a copy. :)

I agree with the DYRL Special Edition. While it sure beats listening to Angel's Paint accompanied by ending credits on a plain black screen, i still prefer watching FB in its entirety. The nostalgia factor that it gives me has yet to be matched in any other macross production. :)

I think I watched a couple episodes and then skipped to the "movie" hoping I could skip the episodes.

If you were expecting a DYRL for Macross 7, I'm sure you were sorely disappointed. It was pretty much an extra episode in the series. Something small and easy to milk the franchise popularity afterwards, I presume.

They are in fact keyboard and drum control systems. The Macross Chronicle states that while Ray does most of the piloting (with the keytar), the VF-17T can in fact be controlled fully using the drum set interface in the rear seat. Of course, it does not say how. :lol:

So... yeah! Enjoy the hatred! B))

Hmm, don't quite ever remember seeing Ray with a keytar in the cockpit, but it admittedly has been quite a few years since I've watched the series. A keyboard system is still somewhat plausible, but the drum system is definitely pushing it. I suppose that system might have actually seen action depending on who passed out first in the final battle. Maybe Kawamori will figure out the logistics one day. :lol:

It's tolerable if you are under the age of 10, or if you are under the influence of alcohol, marijuana, or crack cocaine.

Just finished watching Macross Frontier, so I'm pretty much caught up on everything Macross except some Mac 7 related stuff...

Edited by peter

It's tolerable if you are under the age of 10, or if you are under the influence of alcohol, marijuana, or crack cocaine.

Now that you mention it, maybe I should pay more attention to what my father put in my meals. :ph34r:

don't forget also being in an Gundamesche undestructible valk that no matter what hit you you would not explode

Not to play the devil's advocate, but basara seldomly got hit (if ever). And the Valk is destructible.

Besides, playing guitar while piloting a giant transformable robot is just awesome, non matter what everyone else might say.

Oh, and..GAMRIN KICKKKK!

I havent seen all of Macross 7 ,i had the series,watched 3 eps and that was enough.

I also hadnt seen Flashback 2012 ,so today i made a effort and i got it and watched it and I Love it! like a minmay concert and with misa commanding the megaroad01 and hikaru pointing the way was really nice.

What's that Frontier episode Pete is referring to? I am a bit confused, Ranka Lee and Sheryl Nome lap dancing?

I am currently pondering whether to watch MII or not, already in my HDD but could not get past the OP sequence yet. I can't believe M7, so hated by most, was much easier to swallow at the time. Maybe my mental state was more "receptive" then (not too long ago in fact).

So, besides games, only MII is missing from my Macross experience as of today. Oh, well, and that Plus movie version I cannot locate. Been wanting to see how graphic the love and dead sequences can really get.

Edited by regult

Mac II is the only big one I'm missing, and I have no interest in it.

I've even watched every episode of 7, but I regret doing it. The Protodeviln characters annoy me as much, if not more, than anything else that's already been said about the series.

My favs have been Plus and Zero.

Mac II is the only big one I'm missing, and I have no interest in it.

I've even watched every episode of 7, but I regret doing it. The Protodeviln characters annoy me as much, if not more, than anything else that's already been said about the series.

My favs have been Plus and Zero.

Mac II wasn't horrendous and didn't need any illegal substances to help you get through it. It came out at a time when I was craving for new Macross material. The animation was decent most of the time (because it was OVA?), some decent fight scenes, good music (if you're into 80's style J-pop), and what's-her-name was hot.

I'll join the group that hasn't seen M7. I've seen about 10 episodes, and don't innately have anything against it. I just sort of fell out of it and never got back in (sort of like Gundam SEED and some others). Never helped that most of the fansubs I saw looked awful. I have grabbed some of VIP's release, so I'll get to it eventually.

I've also never seen Macross II in OAV form if I remember correctly, or at least don't own it that way.

Haven't finished Fufonia either, if that truly counts.

I'll join the group that hasn't seen M7. I've seen about 10 episodes, and don't innately have anything against it. I just sort of fell out of it and never got back in (sort of like Gundam SEED and some others). Never helped that most of the fansubs I saw looked awful. I have grabbed some of VIP's release, so I'll get to it eventually.

I've also never seen Macross II in OAV form if I remember correctly, or at least don't own it that way.

Haven't finished Fufonia either, if that truly counts.

Whats Fufonia?

I have seen everything I think. Macross 7 was the worst of the bunch.