Macross that you haven't watched but you know you must?

taksraven

All the bonus material on the DVDs.

For a very long time, though, I hadn't finished Macross Dynamite 7, because the Japanese video rental store I used to go to never got episode 4. I think I finally watched that whole series in 2002.

I haven't watched Macross II and have absolutely no intention of doing so. I live in a nice bubble where no problems of cognition arise due to it, and it doesn't sound very good anyways - although I know people praise it. Plus - I really don't like the mecha that I've seend. The VF-22 or whatever it's called looks to super robotish. I'm a big super robots fan, but I don't like the Mecha here. And the BIGGER guns are annoying too.

I also haven't watched Flashback mainly because I HATE FLASHBACKS. I can't stand the flashback/recap episodes in long series, so why should I watch what is essentially a film length recap episode just to catch a glimpse of Minmey in a completely irrelevent context with no dramatic import whatsoever? Or to see the Megaroad 1, which I can see by checking out Mr. March's page and which -unless I'm mistaken - features in M7 and even Frontier at some point.

NOTE: The ONLY recap episode I actually liked and thought was extremely well made was the one in Macross: Frontier - because it moved the story forward and used a real-time situation more elaborate than "Global's Report" or Hikaru's Phantom Drug Induced Nightmare (although that one was clever, I'll admit) to rehash old stuff. Plus, MF gave us a Sheryl/Ranka duet lap dance as pay off for watching through the recap - very good.

I think there might be something with Bassara that I haven't seen yet - but I doubt it - I think I got all of that covered...

Final note:

Has anyone noticed... hmm ... no - wait - I'll look for an SDFM:TV thread for this...

Pete

I haven't watched Macross II and have absolutely no intention of doing so. I live in a nice bubble where no problems of cognition arise due to it, and it doesn't sound very good anyways - although I know people praise it. Plus - I really don't like the mecha that I've seend. The VF-22 or whatever it's called looks to super robotish. I'm a big super robots fan, but I don't like the Mecha here. And the BIGGER guns are annoying too.

I also haven't watched Flashback mainly because I HATE FLASHBACKS. I can't stand the flashback/recap episodes in long series, so why should I watch what is essentially a film length recap episode just to catch a glimpse of Minmey in a completely irrelevent context with no dramatic import whatsoever? Or to see the Megaroad 1, which I can see by checking out Mr. March's page and which -unless I'm mistaken - features in M7 and even Frontier at some point.

NOTE: The ONLY recap episode I actually liked and thought was extremely well made was the one in Macross: Frontier - because it moved the story forward and used a real-time situation more elaborate than "Global's Report" or Hikaru's Phantom Drug Induced Nightmare (although that one was clever, I'll admit) to rehash old stuff. Plus, MF gave us a Sheryl/Ranka duet lap dance as pay off for watching through the recap - very good.

I think there might be something with Bassara that I haven't seen yet - but I doubt it - I think I got all of that covered...

Final note:

Has anyone noticed... hmm ... no - wait - I'll look for an SDFM:TV thread for this...

Pete

That's a little unfair to FB2012. It's more like a collection of music videos than a recap episodes. Some of them are awfully clever and fun, and the editing is perfect (I love Britai's eye opening during the slight pause in Zero-G Love).

Ok, I will admit that I have not watched Macross 7. I know that one day I must do so. I also need to see FB2012 properly too.

Taksraven

I'm happy to say I've seen EVERY version of Macross. I might have not watched every episode of Mac 7 but I've seen enough to know what's up.

Though, the games are a different story; I've played SDF Macross for the NES/Famicom and Scramble Valkyrie for the Super NES. I haven't played the PCEngine games, Macross M3, or even the PS2 Macross game.

Edited by terry the lone wolf

Macross 7 series here. I've seen the 'movie,' Fleet of the Strongest Women, and Dynamite, but never got around to watch the actual series. I have the first remastered DVD somewhere... but, I dunno, saw the first episode but didn't grab me enough to want to watch the rest.

I tried watching Macross II, I think I only saw half of it, in a 'half of the time I was watching the screen, half of the time I was doodling or doing something else 'cause I was bored.' Not really interested.

Macross 7 series here. I've seen the 'movie,' Fleet of the Strongest Women, and Dynamite, but never got around to watch the actual series. I have the first remastered DVD somewhere... but, I dunno, saw the first episode but didn't grab me enough to want to watch the rest.

I think if you've seen the first, you can rather safely skip to episode 10. I think I've finally seen about all of the Macross animation. I just skipped to the end of FB2012, though. What I'd really like to see is an edited summation of the video games. I've seen several of the cutscenes and such on youtube, but not enough to really follow what's going on.

Edited by Kelsain

Haven't watched M7 and honestly, I don't intend to. I've seen a couple of clips on youtube, and it's been enough to keep me away from it.

I did watch MII back in the day, didn't like it much, but it was "macross" so I went through all of it with my friends. Wouldn't watch again thou.

Ok, I will admit that I have not watched Macross 7. I know that one day I must do so. I also need to see FB2012 properly too.

Taksraven

Macross 7 took several hours of my life that I would like back. I would not recommend watching it. It's not required for your existence as a complete Macross fan. There was something else related to Macross 7....Dynamite 7 or something like that. I will not watch it.

I should get around to watching Macross Frontier. That looks good. I don't even know if the series is complete yet.

I've seen everything Macross now, but of note is the fact that up until recently I had never watched Macross 7 all the way through. I did watch the first dozen or so episodes of Macross 7 many, many years ago. Perhaps even before I joined MW, but I can't say for sure. I was never able to finish until about a year or so back when I watched the entire series by motivating myself to do research for my website, the M3. To me, Macross 7 is a series for which the words "never again" carry special meaning. :)

Seen all the animation sofar. Haven't seen anything of the games. Doubt I can be bothered to go through them just to get the storylines.

well i'm starting to catch up on some of the people on here, i've seen SDFM:TV series, DYRL, Macross 2, Macross plus, Macross zero and currently working my way throught Macross 7 so i can get to my disk set of Macross Frontier (i'm sooooo looking forward to this one!)

One thing to note here, i remember reading about how people didn't like M7 but i am a completionist and wanted to see it, that M7 is good to show a lot of the newer VF designs and fills in the story a bit (plus is has MAX in it for all you maxophiles like me :) ) but my fiances and i have a running joke with the series where she leaves me to watch some episodes and occasionally comes out to ask if Basara has been killed yet. If you watch the series you really (and i do mean really) watch to see this guys get killed - that and watching gamlin give himself heamoroids during combat everytime Basara turns up is kinda funny in a sick way too LOL

Just my two cents

I've seen it all, liked most of it. Macross 7 was definitely the best entry in the franchise after the original. Zero was the weakest by far, and Frontier was too generic to really stand out.

Also own and have played through most of the videogames over the years, 2036 and Eternal Love Song were both really solid games (especially back in the 90s!). VF-X was a piece of crap, VF-X2 was great but flawed, and the SEGA AM2 Macross game for PS2 is the best mecha game I've ever played.

The only one I haven't played through (even though I own it) is Macross M3. Aside from it is a truly terrible game, I don't have a dreamcast and my emulator won't run it properly. I might pickup a used dreamcast this weekend, if that happens I'm going to slug my way through it.

Edited by Sketch

Macross 2 but with the opening and endings restored.

I've only seen Manga Entertainment's version but openings and endings are part of the OVA experience.

Suppose I should get around to finishing Macross Fufonia too.

Edited by sdf2501

While i'm not so keen on recaps myself, I think FB is a must-see. By not watching it, you're missing a pleasant tingling sensation of seeing those beloved characters for the very last time (yes, i do believe it was the very last time).

And I don't think that minmei's appearance was in a completely irrelevant context. after all, that's where i see that she has moved on, she has embraced her fame, and she has decided to continue spreading her music throughout the universe as part of the first expansion fleet.

just my opinion, though. :)

and to answer the question.... i haven't seen the Macross 7 OAVs. but i don't feel that "i must"...

While i'm not so keen on recaps myself, I think FB is a must-see. By not watching it, you're missing a pleasant tingling sensation of seeing those beloved characters for the very last time (yes, i do believe it was the very last time).

And I don't think that minmei's appearance was in a completely irrelevant context. after all, that's where i see that she has moved on, she has embraced her fame, and she has decided to continue spreading her music throughout the universe as part of the first expansion fleet.

just my opinion, though. :)

and to answer the question.... i haven't seen the Macross 7 OAVs. but i don't feel that "i must"...

Which ones, Encore or D7? Or both? Encore is pretty forgettable, but D7 has some good animation, good mecha, and one of Yoko Kanno's loveliest songs, bar none.

The fact that it's a duet with a space whale does not lessen its impact.

As for FB2012, I first got it back in '87, and it became a good way to get a quick Macross fix when I needed it. I thought it was wonderful and essential.

But then, about seven years ago or so, I finally got the "Special Edition" of DYRL, which of course incorporates a lot of FB2012 footage...

I didn't like it. I think FB2012 should have remained kind of special...but I accept that if you've seen the DYRL Special Edition, FB becomes much less necessary to watch. But I still think it's brilliantly edited, and where else can you see the mysterious symbolism of a clown doll and handcuffs spinning on a record?