SCRATCH BUILD MACROSS Armored Factory and Maintenance Bay

MaveRick

guys thank you for the kind words, i appreciate all the comments... it makes me even more eager at completing this project as soon as possible..

Macrossman: i still haven't gotten hold of the latest elint.. will try to see if there's a way to get the dish to rotate.. maybe a smaller rotary motor would do.. ;)

Miriya: i used a water based brown "acre color" paint.. from the previous build, i applied a gray base color, then used yellow for second coating then finally that paint (regular brown) for the finish.. i'm not sure though if there's a spray can for it. will try to check on it.. :)

so here's another quick update.. i had 3 straight days off from regular work (idependence day last friday, and no sideline audit engagement since saturday) i was basically spending most of my time continuing the build..

i already starting making final attachments on the wirings... so basically here's how it looks like with the lights installed:

Gate 01/Partition 1 with 8 of 10 lights already installed... with the latest 1/60 yamato destroid..

3625538118_379b6972c9.jpg

3625538076_e43ee1209a.jpg

Also been looking over some specialty/hobby shops and malls hoping to get something that would more likely resemble at "Boom Lift Truck" that's being used.. but only managed to see some heavy equipment trucks and construction type trucks.. nothing really decently as accurate as this one:

boomlifttrucksmall.gif

so after few hours of contemplating.. heck! i decided to scratch build it too!!! :lol:

so here's my update on this extra build so far: (note.. just applied base coating.. still have to put final colors and minute details once its completely build)

manage to finish this one the other night... (Boom Base, Boom, Hydraulic Cylinder, and Carriage)

3625538130_2a99dec94c.jpg

with Scale 1/72 Hasegawa ground crew kit figure inside carriage

3624740397_7c95aa20ed.jpg

then started working on the truck itself just early this morning.. here's how it looks like as of this posting :D

3625538132_4075fe6272.jpg

3624740395_47e04e81de.jpg

and just like the factory, i opted to put real working headlights for this build

3624740411_c2b67efd86.jpg

other gimmicks: boom can be stretch.. boom base articulated as well..

here's a mock up combination of the parts..

3624740405_e1d0a9a3e6.jpg

thanks again guys... never really thought, it would somehow give that "in the club/concert" feel.. but nonetheless i enjoyed staring at it with the lights on before dozing off the other night :lol:

got home early today so i had a chance to continue working on this project..

i started continuing on my boom lift truck s.build... salvaged my old tamiya mini 4wd racer's wheels and my spare 1/48 decals for the boom part :D also opted not to follow color as show in reference pic and used lighter color instead.

3628951911_69d3b508c3.jpg

3628951903_dd33095b32.jpg

then wired up the LEDs for the headlights.. took some time before i figured out how to conceal the connection and place the batteries.. had to modify a part of it..

3628958177_f47f4aa17e.jpg

3628951953_1d7a8250f6.jpg

here's how it looks like with the headlights on.. im still trying to choose whether to make the LEDs light up steadily or not..

also trashed my first design of the destroid roller.. just didn't appear to be appealing to me at all.. started working on the second version just few hours earlier..

3628951915_4660d308ef.jpg

after applying base color..

3628958199_286aba94da.jpg

Really amazing. buuuut..if I have to nitpick I would prefer to see those rounded style wheels on that truck like in the lineart. Are you planning on building around the current wheels?

You seriously must cast that lift truck and rolling platform and make them available to members here!

You don't know how long people on these boards have been begging for some support vehicles.

Great work and incredibly fast! Keep it up! ^_^

Got an advise that i'll be on field work starting this weekend.. so decided to devote my time for the past two days finishing this project..

First i made some changes on some parts:

Change my first design of holder for the rotating platform and motor.. the second design didn't prove to be stable enough to hold heavier valkyries.. here's my modified case..

3639078842_db904f9408.jpg

Also i didn't like how my lighting turned out.. it really looked like the mechas are in a club/concert thingy.. so i discarded my first set .. also opted to follow the colors of each lamps as show in the line-art.

3636936855_cfe658b8ac_m.jpg3636930155_82ff089496_m.jpg

had a problem capturing its true colors.. but it's basically green, yellow and red

3636930149_e6ea69798d.jpg

Then some additional parts.. i thought of putting a cut off ceiling just to give the entire factory some dept..

still for final colors.. and reinforcement at the back portion..

3636936863_35233704a9.jpg

cut out a rectangular hole, where i will be putting additional ceiling lights..

3636930151_77a1eb9a6b_m.jpg3636930147_550c4b0602_m.jpg

Edited by MaveRick

then came the part i hated most... cable management...

apparently the back portion still has to be covered.. but before that i need to organize all the wirings and sockets..

3636930131_9c43293e0d.jpg

i used 3 separate power sources for the electrical components:

3638375655_dcbe4ed5d8.jpg

for the gate and gantry side lamps, i used my mom's spare cellphone charger as source

3639168946_46f99719a9_m.jpg3639168958_e07c20584e_m.jpg

i used cable tie and headers as snap on connectors for all three partitions

3639168966_208cd42668_m.jpg3639168970_eb9ae95da2_m.jpg

and so here's my second version of the lighting with a mock-up attachment of partition 1's ceiling.. (without the lights at the front section and some hidden parts.)

3636936851_9ac30ff55e.jpg

Spent the entire day working on..

- finishing the ceiling.. and installing it on all 3 partitions

- cable management

- final placement of LEDs and Rotating Platform..

so.. here's my Scratch-Build Macross Armored Factory and Maintenance Bay!!! ( just placed both 1/60 destroid and focker and a few crew figs.. i still have to make final arrangements on how i will place the yammies with the crew)

3639078852_6815d98ba3.jpg

3639078860_16f9057cf8.jpg

3639078862_b546253886.jpg

3639078866_35d285112f.jpg

3639078864_30a01e3e14.jpg

3639238302_0f82def2d3.jpg

3639238300_317f2edc38.jpg

3639238298_54921be5f1.jpg

Edited by MaveRick

I'm at work right now so I am not able to access the video so I will ask here. In the video do you show the process you used to add lights? If so and you provide a list of materials? I'm pretty good with that type of thing and would love to add this effect to my 1/48 diorama. Thanks Mave!

Dude, I'm so proud to own the plastic kit, but it utterly pales in comparison to your hand-made version of it. That's really a work of skill, genius and insight.

Amazing, and inspiring!

Edited by AcroRay

do you show the process you used to add lights? If so and you provide a list of materials? I'm pretty good with that type of thing and would love to add this effect to my 1/48 diorama.

Same here. I'd love to add working lights to the plastic kit. Would you please consider a detailed tutorial on your lighting setup?

Absolutely astounding work! My hat off to you for the great engineering of light and motion too! My opinion is if your going to make something that big, make it real! Thanks for sharing! - MT

i would like to thank you all people for following my build thread, really would have lost interest at finishing this project without your comments and encouragement from friends.. everybody seems to wonder how come i work so fast.. some friends where kind enough to help me on this build.. (My friend leanard who helped me with the electrical components and Jojo who should also be given equal credit for the overall planning of this project) it has been an exhausting, but fun build (since i mostly do it during unholy hours if not after work).

Vegas: when you have the chance to visit here.. let me know.. my house is always open for fellow hobbyist/macross fans ;)

>EXO<: hey pare.. thanks a lot for following my thread.. i also wish i could bring it personally for the Con, but we both know that'll be close to impossible.. and oh.. your right about me being a bit insane! (esp when bored) :D

MacrossMan and AcroRay: Sorry, but i wasn't in a bit of a hurry when i did this project that's why i wasn't able to cover extensively.. but i could give you a list of materials i used though.. for the lights i used:

1. Standard Size LEDs (Green, Yellow, Red)

2. Superwhite LEDs (for overall lighting)

3. Cellphone Charger or Adaptor with at least 6Volts output

4. Ribbon Type Wire

5. Battery and Battery Holder.. some lighters have this (i opted to use this as power source for some parts of the factory and the boom lift truck)

6. Cable tie and headers (this is ideal for connecting/disconnecting multiple wirings)

7. Resistor (drop current and avoid LEDs from busting off early.. but this is just optional though)

anyway i made a snap shot of some materials left.. sorry for the crappy pics:

23612580.jpg

43001800.th.jpg 91296040.th.jpg 16104276.th.jpg 87599911.th.jpg

Edited by MaveRick

Thanks for those details, MaveRick! I hope to use them as a guide to light my own 1/100 plastic kit. My local hobby shop has a nice assortment of LEDs, and the electronics shop at my TV studio can supply me with ribbon cable & some resistors. Its the skill I lack, so your work is a nice place to start from! Thanks!!

likewise EXO.. right now i'm current planning another big project.. (literally big)

hopefully when i'm done with field work, i'll start working on it..

A project well done :lol:

I'd better see your MACROSS Collection while I'm assigned here in Cebu City...and play with this Armored Factory and Maintenance Bay....weeeee!!!

Hmmm...another big project eh?...wow.... :blink:

AcroRay: don't mention it.. i wanted to give you a detailed diagram on the electrical connections, but i somehow lost my draft on it.. :(

LethalZero: now that's reasonably possible... i'll see what i can do though.. i do have something i'm sure to bring with me if ever i could make it to the ToyCon - My Scratchbuild Protoform Starscream:

3491030504_4699550707.jpg

gian7675: sure thing.. Alain (of Macrossworld) was just here few hours ago.. having some cold drinks while enjoying the sight of build.. :D

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

MaveRick,

I'm new here but I have to thank you for your inspiration!! I viewed this build awhile back and it made wonder if I could do something similar.

I started my build with your factory as a reference but in 1/100 scale instead, however it evolved into a hanger deck scene instead. The materials used where mostly balsa wood, plastic model scraps, and computer parts (from a horrible crash). Anyways your display of the lighting helped me out drastically since I never messed with LED's. Thanks again and I look forward to more builds from you in the future.

If anyone is interested this is the link to my build so far..

http://thelostuniverseofrt.forumotion.net/hangerdeck-hang-out-f46/

(hanger is almost complete but pending pictures with final lighting, crew, and support equipment)

Edited by Iceblue106