Best Science FACT movie of all time??

There are fictional movies based on science fact. I thought The Manhattan Project was pretty interesting.

A good one is October Sky which is a true story.

I would agree that The Right Stuff is probably the best.

Edited by sharky

I would say 2001: A Space Odyssey, as the book really impressed me accurate notions of using Jupiter's gravity for a speed boost, artificial satellites, the adjustments to daily life necessary for life in microgravity, and the use of centripetal force to simulate gravity for exercise, all before the first astronauts landed on the moon.

Then I realize that, as much as I loved the books, I hated the movie. Long boring shots of Bowman and Poole doing mundane crap wasn't a substitute for Clarke's narrative descriptions, and the movie's acid-trip ending from the light show when Bowman enters the Monolith right up to his rebirth as the Star Child was vastly changed from the books seemingly for no other purpose than to be make as little sense as possible.

Edited by mikeszekely

There are fictional movies based on science fact. I thought The Manhattan Project was pretty interesting.

A good one is October Sky which is a true story.

I would agree the The Right Stuff is probably the best.

I was hoping that somebody would mention this film. Based on fact and very enjoyable. (October Sky is an anagram of Rocket Boys, which was the original name this film was to have)

Taksraven

The Andromeda Strain was an HBO-produced mini-series that aired my mid-2008 based on the same-name book by Michael Crichton, right?

Loved the book, considering it's 50-years old (written in 1968 or 1969 IIRC) and full of old-tech techno-babble, but well grounded bibliography, as was usual in Crichton's books.

Would love to watch the mini-series

50-years old (written in 1968 or 1969 IIRC) WTF!!!! Buy a calcuator!! AAARRGHHHH!!!!

Good work bringing up Andromeda though. Havent seen the new mini-series, but the original film, which has already been mentioned, is FANTASTIC, and one of the best attempts at making a realistic science fiction film. Great stuff.

Taksraven

The Quiet Earth is the only obe that comes easily to mind. It doesn't really explain the science behind it tho - you would have to look it up afterwards if you're not familiar with quantum physics etc.

It's a little bit like S.T.A.L.K.E.R. (the game) which was based on a movie of the same name.

HEY!!! Whats going on here? I leave this thread for a while and people start to bring up The Andromeda Strain and The Quiet Earth, some of the best and most obscure SF out there. Sure, not really Science Fact, but great attempts at making intelligent SF. The Quiet Earth had one of the best endings in movie history. And its NEW ZEALAND SF! Wow, what an effort for a tiny island nation!

Taksraven

Phase IV

Does anybody know this little gem? Right up there with Andromeda Strain IMO. It shows it's age today, and some scenes are pushing it a bit, but other ideas there are really brilliant, like the arithmetic conversation with the ants, and it's a good suspense movie.

Demon Seed also comes to mind, but it's alog time since I've seen that.

Phase IV

Does anybody know this little gem? Right up there with Andromeda Strain IMO. It shows it's age today, and some scenes are pushing it a bit, but other ideas there are really brilliant, like the arithmetic conversation with the ants, and it's a good suspense movie.

Demon Seed also comes to mind, but it's alog time since I've seen that.

Demon Seed was Ok. A bit weird though.

Taksraven

50-years old (written in 1968 or 1969 IIRC) WTF!!!! Buy a calcuator!! AAARRGHHHH!!!!

Good work bringing up Andromeda though. Havent seen the new mini-series, but the original film, which has already been mentioned, is FANTASTIC, and one of the best attempts at making a realistic science fiction film. Great stuff.

Taksraven

the Original Andromeda Strain movie was amazing, and it followed the book really well (which was also amazing). the Mini-series on the other hand... well comparing it to the book is like comparing the Jurassic park sequals to the original Crichton novel.

basically they took the took the original movie and threw in a lot of moronic action sequences, a pointless subplot about some reporter guy or something, and oh yeah

it turns out the virus was originally created inadvertently by "thermal vent mining" irradiating archaebacterium on the ocean floor and the sample in the satellite was actually sent to earth by humans in the future via a worm hole

yeah... it was total CRAP

You may be getting snow in May, but Florida is experiencing a severe drought, seeing about as much rain in the last 6 months as they used to in a single month. (Man, hanging out with climatologists really rubs off on you...)

Ugh, tell me about it... It's finally started to rain and the ground's too dry to soak it up!

Hmm, something tells me this thread could be good for my Netflix queue... Please, do go on.

Since we're moving in to the realm of "fictional films with a lot of science stuff", I want to add "Colossus - The Forbin Project"

Think of it as War Games for adults. Colossus has a lot of great lines.

Colossus: "This is the voice of world control. I bring you peace. It may be the peace of plenty and content or the peace of unburied death."

Taksraven

Hahahahaha, damn! My bad. *goes out to buy calculator* :p

Hadn't heard about the 70's movie. Read the book only a couple years ago.

Now I'm not that curious about the mini-series after the review. Was sort of expecting a shitty job, anyway.

the Original Andromeda Strain movie was amazing, and it followed the book really well (which was also amazing). the Mini-series on the other hand... well comparing it to the book is like comparing the Jurassic park sequals to the original Crichton novel.

basically they took the took the original movie and threw in a lot of moronic action sequences, a pointless subplot about some reporter guy or something, and oh yeah

it turns out the virus was originally created inadvertently by "thermal vent mining" irradiating archaebacterium on the ocean floor and the sample in the satellite was actually sent to earth by humans in the future via a worm hole

yeah... it was total CRAP

The "thermal vent mining" did not release the virus it destroyed the only compound that would destroy the Andromeda strain